Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,899 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:57 PM

Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow - Rap Battles - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Rap Battles / Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow (8300 Views)

Lyrical Chaos : Barackobarz Vs Mikuz / Flow For Rank / Freestyle Lyrical Assembling Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 3:41pm On Mar 11, 2009
I have observed a lot of thread here on nairaland and a lot of them I wud say are violent and uncreative, Why I am saying this is because complex lyrics with no meaning is silly. If you really want to know a talented rapper I mean a talent plus rapper or writer you wud be able to read poetism in his lyrics, storytelling, cultural values, ethical languages and traditional poetry. A whole lot more that I can not mention now. So I am creating this trend on the assumption that I am the judge and these are my rules:

* You must write a whole song and at least write a chorus with it.
* The standard ranking scale will be 1 - 10
* Any song that ranks up to 8 and above will stand a chance to win any of my e-book
* Please state before you begin writing your song which category it falls e.g Storytelling,Rthymic,gangster,poetic e.t.c
* Note no one is interested in using any of your lyrics here so if you are concerned about that then write something new strictly for this thread.
* Just write and get ranked and I will also give some professional advice to you. Also I cud help hook you up in a studio for recording if you rank well.

Now lets see how it goes,

2 Likes

Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by Ibime(m): 11:06pm On Mar 12, 2009
Oya Branded, make you open floor now.
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by ofokasibe: 8:38am On Mar 13, 2009
ok creative concept ben , but can u pls open the floor like ibime said.
i guess we need to write 3 verses with tight choruses . well thats gon be awesome. nice one eben
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by dyabman(m): 11:18am On Mar 13, 2009
where are you driving us to BEN , very soon we will have to tell seun for audio records on here , and start selling albums of our song on here also ,

grin angry angry shocked shocked
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 12:05pm On Mar 13, 2009
Okay I will go first at least to open the floor but made you not all coach are good in playing football but they are good at managing the players to make them better so the applys here. Anyways to make me beta rank me too.

Traditional Poetry and Storytelling

Title: Ewu o"

Verse1:

I met a girl who has got big dreams
Her face were so small she looks like sixteen
Damn right, She carries herself like a queen
Hoping one day she will mark up the age eighteen
To be free,from uncivilized ethicals
A cultural material, a home breed cereal
In case you are not feeling her
Damn right, you are not lyrical
So listen to this vibe, Hopefully you wil be ethical
She got raped before she marked eighteen
I feel her pain like its somewhere I have always been
To relieve her pain I grab a bottle of gin
To alight her soul from this backwardly doom
A sense of peace and honor feels her room
Now she feels like she is about to wed a new groom
Pain is short but happiness come there after
So raise your head to the sky and start a new chapter

Chorus:

Ewu o"(3xe)
I know, God know ,he know
He feels your pain yeah

Verse 2

I have been through a lot of f* schools you know
The school of hard knocks smash my face like a blow
I must confess it hard to pass my test even if I strive 24-7 life is a stress
The story of my life is very spectacular
I cant even narrate it in vernacular
A young boy full of hopes and dreams
Graduated from high togeda with this teams
One of the younger kid wen I got to the campus
I got carried away by the campus pringles and jingles
Lost focus until the school ran me a jingle
I did my best but the rest was such a mess
I have got my back on the floor neva the less
Now its crystal clear life is such a contest
I grab my hands togeda and learnt from the best
I dine with the rest now I am better that the rest

Chorus again
Verse 3:

Now if you are going thru one or two drama
Understand lives concept is like a grammar
You have to stay positive and act like a karma
At the very end you will harvest like a farmer
Put God first he is gonna drill you to the end
You start your life from the bottom not the top yet
Its a golden rule to success and worth the test
If you dont believe now lets toast to a bet
I have been thru the game and know abt the stress
Give me tyme to explain uhm,  Let me guess
I know you future seem sloply like mess
Draw yourself  map it ease a lot less
I feel your pain and I hope you feel mine
Its okay you know I wil do just fine
Give that opener let me open this wine
I alright you know we can toast and dine.

Chorus again
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by ofokasibe: 2:52pm On Mar 13, 2009
ok let me start,  This song is titled resurrect hiphop.  its a  fictional hiphop gangsta story
hope this is good enuff to get a brandedben's e-book.  grin

intro
yo.word up word up .
its the o- to the- f -to the -o- to the- k to the- a
ofoka is in da building, naija stand up, lagos stand up . n.i.g stand up

chorus:
hiphop is dead /am here to resurrect it
if u cant rap/ you berra hit the exit
hiphop is my food/ i flip it up like gynastics
if u love hiphop common lets ressurect it

verse 1
hiphop is dead /this money lovers are the culprits
if u havent heard my album get ready to cop it
stomp it/ i see yall want me to drop it
mcs are on point but am the fcukin thorn
am the last born but i rep the first borns
they know i bust bubbles like a fuckin boil
u rappers are gurls /am the only boy
lyrics sour higher than americans rockets
you aint in my level/u aint in my age bracket
the flame spittin viper ofoka is the hardest
u cant travel wit me /my rhyme move the farthest
am climbing on a mountain/ u riding on okadas
if u say ur the boy/then  i am the fuckin father
shout out to my nigga brandedben keeping it real
like evander holyfield i am the real deal
ofoka is the greatest everbody stand still

chorus:

verse2
my freestyle drops like the thoughts from my head
like the head of the cows i am the leader of the rap herd
my wordplay insane lyrically am flowing hard
even if u wear phones u still would be head
this is my story yo/ i wanna tell how it is
u soldiers cant march u cant even do atis
hiphop was the bomb when big n pac was here
u couldnt flip rhymes cuz u got no idea
foka is the next rated my song is belated
i aint a virgin yo but am the real saint related
i do it for hiphop i do it for the love
yall are berra up buying dolls from toys r us
hiphop is dead ama surely ressurrect it
this aint basketball so i can never ever fake it

chorus:

lyrically am known to bust bars that tears ur eardrums
rip ur jaws off like swords filled with tantrums
i been spitting sickness since the doctors found flu
cyphas in rare blue/i got u on my eagle eye view
the punchline is insane like madmen in aro
metaphors pointing to ur face like bows and arrow
posting cyphas with eruptin volcanic eruptions
who else is known to give ur brains malfunctions
am known to rip bars with the sickest diction
ur flows like water mixed with mercury/ simply no friction
u claim to be the bomb/but ur wrong wit the timing
mine explodes on ur heads like a perfect grinding
i drop lyrical cyphas for the structured hiphop minds
i spit more venom dan snakes and serpents combined
my breath is too cold it leaves the micrphone shaking
this rappers are like nigerian b-ballers cuzz they always faking

chorus:

exit lines
flame spitter
foka the great
l.a.g
naija.
hiphop aint dead
hiphop is ressurrected!

instrumentals plays with gangsta lead
exit till fade
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 12:07pm On Mar 14, 2009
Ofokasibe

Nice lyrical delivery and personal preference you really have the stuff inside of you. If you diffuse you lyrical quality and concentrated on how you can communicate better to the audience they wud really appreciate that. Writing a song about hip hop means you love hip hop so much and want pple to fall in love not with only hip hop but also with your songs.So get concerned about the good things of hip hop in your song instead of attacking Bleep or wack niga.You can do that too but do not spend all your time doing that.So many pple are watching its like a debate, try to convince the audience about the benefits of hip hop.For example say something like
"I wake up everyday with the thots of hip hop in my head
All night it has been like a hope to see the sun ahead
Its my soul story book
Its rhythm neva leave my mind always blazing with a hook"
You see its like you are expressing you thots better they will enjoy you better this way than just strictly attacking Bleep ass nigga.(hiphop is dead /this money lovers are the culprits
if u havent heard my album get ready to cop it
stomp it/ i see yall want me to drop it
mcs are on point but am the fcukin thorn)
Try to market yourself okay.

So I wud rank you 3/10
Surprise me next time,
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by ofokasibe: 1:09pm On Mar 14, 2009
at this point i have to tell you Bleep u branded ben . and this thread is hereby pronounced dead ! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by chamotex(m): 5:52pm On Mar 14, 2009
ofokasibe:

at this point i have to tell you Bleep u branded ben . and this thread is hereby pronounced dead ! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

haha grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by chiogo(f): 6:15pm On Mar 14, 2009
lmao @ 3/10
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by ofokasibe: 1:52am On Mar 15, 2009
na thunder go fire brandedben for hia
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 12:22pm On Mar 16, 2009
Ofokasibe

Your ability to listen and understand how you can improve and develop depends on you, If you wanna go up the best way is to go down. Be humble and be realistic. I was not lieing, you sounded unappealing . You were too boring. I wud like to state here that I am not interested in breeding lyrical boring lyrics but commercially successful and lyrical accepted artist. I understand what going thru your head but in hip hop nobody is the best you have to create an appealing niche. So the ball is your court. If you wanna grow humble yourself.

Please let the thread continue as everyother person begins to drop their songs.
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 12:28pm On Mar 16, 2009
CHARACTER TRAITS YOU MUST POSSESS TO BE A SUCCESSFUL RAP ENTERTAINER

Passion: Rapper’s who consistently produce results have discovered a reason, an all consuming, energizing, almost obsessive purpose that drives them to do, grow and be more. It gives them the fuel that powers their “success train” and causes them to tap their true potential. (A true example of this can be referenced to Kanye West, he could have given up after his accident and focused on something else yet he still remained steadfast). Passion gives life power, juice and meaning. There is no greatness without a passion to be great, whether its aspiration to become a producer, rapper, songwriter e.t.c

Belief: Rapper’s who succeed on a major scale differ greatly in their beliefs from those who fail. Our beliefs about what we are and what we can be precisely determine who we will be. If you believe in magic, you will live a magical life. If you believe your life is determined by narrow limits, we have suddenly made those limits real. What you believe to be true, what you believe is possible, becomes what’s true and possible. Many rappers are passionate but because of their limiting beliefs about who you are and what they can do they never take action that could make their dreams a reality. Rappers who succeed know what they want and believe they can get it.
Passion and belief helps to provide the fuel, the propulsion towards excellence. But Propulsion is not enough, for all it can do is send a rocket flying blindly towards heavens. Besides that power, we need a path, an intelligent sense of logical progression. To succeed in hitting your target you need STRATEGY.

Strategy: A strategy is a way of organizing resources. (If you have read my e-book. “The rapper’s Guide” you will have read Jay-Z biography. You will understand that Jay-Z is a great strategist, that’s why he is the richest rapper on the planet. He knew what it took to make it to the top and without waiting drew a blueprint for himself and followed through). Every great rapper knows its not enough to have all the resources to succeed. One must use those resources in the most effective way. A strategy is a specific type of plan, a way of organizing your resources in such a way as to produce a predetermined outcome.

Clarity of Values: Values are specific beliefs systems we have about what is right and wrong for our lives. They are the judgments you make about what you makes life worth living. Many rappers do not have a clear idea of what is important to them. Often individuals (rappers) do things and afterwards they regret simply because they were not clear about what they believed was right for them and others. A very clear example of Nigerian rapper who seems to understand is own clarity of values is Mode9. He has made it very clear over the years what he stands for, he does not mingle without emcees less than his caliber and he is not after record sales and bling blings. He is after the realest and purest of hip hop and he represents it to the fullest. When you look at great successes they are almost people with clear fundamental sense about what really matters. Think about Tupac Shakur and Shawn Carter, they are al known for having different visions but the common link is a fundamental moral grounding. Rappers like this have a clear sense of who they are and why they do what they do. An understanding of values is one of the most rewarding and challenging keys to achieving excellence.
Now let me ask you a question: Is passion affected by belief ? Well answer is Yes. The more we believe we can accomplish something , the more we are usually willing to invest in its achievements. Believe by itself is never enough to achieve excellence, its just a good start. For example, you believe you are going to see a sunrise and your strategy for achieving that goal is to face the west, then you have failed. Also your strategy for success also affects your values. If your strategy for success requires you to do things that do not fit your beliefs about a right and wrong life then your strategy will not work. That’s why rapper’s who begin to succeed only end up sabotaging their own success. The problem is that there is an internal conflict between the individual (rapper) values and his strategy for achievement. These four traits are inseparable.

Energy: Energy can be the thundering, joyous commitment of D.M.X, or Tupac Amaru Shakur. It can be the entrepreneurial dynamism of Curtis Jackson. It can be the unstoppable vitality of Missy Elliot. It is almost impossible to amble languidly towards excellence. Rappers of excellence take opportunities and shape them. They live as if they are obsessed with the wondrous opportunities of each day and the recognition that the one thing no one has enough of is time. There are lots of rappers in this world who have a passion they believe in. They know the strategy that would ensure it, and values are aligned but they do not have the physical vitality to take action on what they know. Fit physical condition, intellectual capability and spiritual energy allows you to make the most of what you have.

Bonding Power: Nearly all successful rappers have an extraordinary ability to form bonds with others. The ability to develop rapport with rappers, singers, producer e.t.c from variety of backgrounds and beliefs. The great successes of Lil Wayne, Dj Khaled, Ludacris, Eminem – all has the ability to form bonds that unites them with other artist. Yet the greatest success of this kind is experienced not on the stage of the world; its felt in the deepest recesses of your won heart. Deep down, everyone needs to form lasting, loving bonds with others without that any success or excellence is hollow indeed.

Mastery of Communication: The way you communicate with others and the way you communicate with ourselves ultimately determines the quality of our work and your life. Rappers who success in life are those who have learned how to take any challenge life gives them and communicate that experience to themselves and others in a way that causes them to successfully change things. Entertainers who shape our lives and our culture are also masters of communication to others. What they have in common is an ability to communicate a vision, a song, a message or mission to their audience.

If you abide by this principles you are bond to succeed. Watch out for my e-book "Rapper's Guide"

Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 12:37pm On Mar 16, 2009
KANYE WEST

Kanye Omari West born June 8, 1977 is a ten-time Grammy Award-winning American rapper, record producer and singer. He released his debut album The College Dropout in 2004, his second album Late Registration in 2005, and his third album Graduation in 2007. His first three albums have received numerous awards, critical acclaim, and commercial success. West also runs his own record label GOOD Music. West's mascot and trademark is "Dropout Bear," a teddy bear which has appeared on the covers of his three albums as well as the singles "Stronger" and "Homecoming."

West's parents divorced when he was three years old, and he and his mother moved to Chicago, Illinois. He enrolled at Chicago State University but later dropped out to continue pursuing his music career. He later gained fame by producing hit singles for musical artists including Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, and Janet Jackson. West's style of production often utilizes pitched-up vocal samples, usually from soul songs, with his own drums and instruments. Some controversy has also surrounded West, such as an incident during a live telecast of a benefit concert for Hurricane Katrina relief, when he deviated from the script and told the audience, "George Bush doesn't care about black people."

On May 16, 2008, Kanye West was crowned by MTV as the year's #1 "Hottest MC In The Game."

Life and career

Kanye West was born in Atlanta, Georgia, where he lived with both of his parents. When he was three years old, his parents divorced, and he and his mother moved to Chicago, Illinois. His father was Ray West, a former Black Panther who was one of the first black photojournalists at the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, and is now a Christian counselor. West's late mother, Dr. Donda West, was a Professor of English at Clark Atlanta University, and the Chair of the English Department at Chicago State University before retiring to serve as West's manager. He was raised in an upper-middle-class background, attending Polaris High School in suburban Oak Lawn, Illinois after living in Chicago.

West took some art classes at the American Academy of Art, a Chicago art school, and also enrolled at Chicago State University, but dropped out due to poor grades and a primary interest in working on his music career. While attending school, West produced for local artists. He later gained fame by producing hit singles for major hip hop/R&B artists, including Jay-Z, Talib Kweli, Cam'ron, Paul Wall, Common, Mobb Deep, Jermaine Dupri, Scarface, The Game, Alicia Keys, Janet Jackson, John Legend, T.I., and Lil Wayne among others. He also "ghost-produced" for his mentor Deric Angelettie, according to his song "Last Call" and the credits of Nas' "Poppa Was a Playa."

The Blueprint (2001)

West’s sound was featured heavily on Jay-Z's critically acclaimed album The Blueprint, released on September 11, 2001. His work was featured on the lead single "Izzo (H.O.V.A.)," "Heart of the City (Ain't No Love)" and a diss track against Nas and Mobb Deep named "Takeover"; West has worked with Mobb Deep and Nas since the track's release. West soon became a major name in hip hop production following the release of the album, but struggled to find a way to get a record deal. Jay-Z admitted that Roc-A-Fella was initially reluctant to support West as a rapper, claiming that he saw him as a producer first and foremost. Multiple record companies pushed him aside because he was not the stereotypical hip hop artist. Companies felt he was not as marketable as rappers who portray the "street image" prominent in hip hop culture.

The College Dropout (2002–2004)

On October 23, 2002, West was involved in a near fatal car crash while driving home from the recording studio. The crash provided inspiration for West's first single, "Through the Wire." West's faith is apparent in many of his songs, such as "Jesus Walks," which became a staple at his benefit performances, such as the Live 8 concert. These songs were featured on West's debut album, The College Dropout, which was released on Roc-A-Fella Records in February 2004, and went on to receive critical acclaim. The album also defined the style for which West would become known, including wordplay and sampling.[18] The album was eventually certified triple platinum. Guest appearances included Jay-Z, Ludacris, GLC, Consequence, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Common, and Syleena Johnson. The album also featured the singles, "All Falls Down" and "The New Workout Plan," as well as Twista's number one single, "Slow Jamz."

West was involved in a financial dispute over Royce Da 5'9"'s song "Heartbeat," produced by West and released on Build & Destroy: The Lost Sessions. West maintains that Royce never paid for the beat, but recorded to it and released it; hearing him on the beat, the original customers decided not to buy it from West. After the disagreement, West vowed to never work with Royce again. Other Kanye West-produced hit singles during the period The College Dropout was released included "I Changed My Mind" by Keyshia Cole, "Overnight Celebrity" by Twista and "Talk About Our Love" by Brandy.

Late Registration (2005)

On August 30, 2005, West released his second album Late Registration. Reviews were mostly favorable, with Rolling Stone commenting that "Late Registration is an undeniable triumph," and with Spin mentioning it is "As ornate and bloated as West's ego." With the help of producer samples in different ways along with compositions of strings and other sounds, the record earned the number one spot on the Village Voice's Pazz & Jop critics' poll of 2005. The first two singles from Late Registration were "Diamonds from Sierra Leone" (which features vocals from Shirley Bassey's "Diamonds Are Forever"wink and "Gold Digger" featuring Jamie Foxx, (which contains an interpolation of Ray Charles's "I Got a Woman"wink. The album sold over 860,000 copies in its first week, and earned twelve Grammy Award nominations including Album of the Year and Record of the Year for the song "Gold Digger." The album also included "My Way Home," a track that sampled Gil Scott-Heron's mournful "Home Is Where The Hatred Is." The album is certified triple platinum. Guest appearances include Lupe Fiasco, Jamie Foxx, Adam Levine, Paul Wall, GLC, Cam'ron, Common, Brandy, Nas, Jay-Z, Consequence, The Game, and Really Doe.

In September 2005, West announced that he would release his Pastelle Clothing line in spring 2006: "Now that I have a Grammy under my belt and Late Registration is finished, I am ready to launch my clothing line next spring." The current status of this project is unknown. In that year, West produced the hit singles "Go" by Common and "Dreams" by The Game.

ssss
Awards and controversy (2006)

In January 2006, West again sparked controversy when he appeared on the cover of Rolling Stone in the image of Jesus wearing a crown of thorns. In 2006 he told Playboy, "I throw up historical subjects in a way that makes kids want to learn about them," West claimed, "[I'm] definitely in the history books already."

After the 2006 Grammy nominations were released, West said he would "really have a problem" if he didn't win the Album of the Year because of the comments, saying "I don't care what I do, I don't care how much I stunt — you can never take away from the amount of work I put into it. I don't want to hear all of that politically correct stuff." West won several Grammy awards, including Best Rap Album, but did not win the Album of the Year Award. The award instead went to U2's How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. Coincidentally, in November 2006, West was the opening act for U2 during the fifth leg of their Vertigo Tour in Australia and New Zealand.

West at the Nokia Theatre, New York City in August 2006.On August 5, 2006, West headlined the second day of the Lollapalooza music festival in his hometown of Chicago. Later that month, People magazine reported that West became engaged to his girlfriend Alexis while spending two weeks overseas with her.

On November 2, 2006, when "Touch the Sky" failed to win Best Video at the MTV Europe Music Awards, West went onto the stage as the award was being presented to Justice and Simian for "We Are Your Friends" and argued that he should have won the award instead. Hundreds of news outlets worldwide criticized the outburst. On November 7, 2006, West apologized for this outburst publicly during his performance as support act for U2 for their Vertigo concert in Brisbane, Australia. He also later spoofed the incident in a Saturday Night Live sketch in which West disrupts several awards ceremonies, including the Nobel Prize, in similar fashion.

In December 2006, Robert "Evel" Knievel sued West for trademark infringement in West's video for "Touch the Sky." Knievel is taking issue with a "sexually-charged video" in which West takes on the persona of "Evel Kanyevel" and attempts flying a rocket over a canyon. The suit filed in federal court claims infringement on his trademarked name and likeness. Knievel also claims the "vulgar and offensive" images depicted in the video damage his reputation. The suit seeks damages and to stop distribution of the video.

This year he was also rumored to be working on Michael Jackson's next album, which was scheduled for release in late 2007, along with his cousin Devo Springsteen and John Legend.

Graduation, Glow in the Dark Tour, and 808s & Heartbreak (2007 – present)

Billy Dec with WestIn 2007, it was announced that West would be starring in a series directed by Larry Charles. He has been working on the pilot episode for the past two years with Larry Charles and Rick Rubin. He also had this to say on January 14: "I wouldn't do something as cliché as a reality show. At least give me the credit for being more creative than that. It's a situational half-hour comedy. It's fictional, and loosely based on my life." West collaborated with Japanese hip hop group Teriyaki Boyz to produce the single "I Still Love H.E.R.," a reference to Common's 1994 single "I Used to Love H.E.R, " It is rumored that West's introductory lines preceding his verse are a thinly-veiled jab at producer/rapper Danny!, who was mercilessly compared to West in the beginning of his career.

Further to this, during a radio appearance in early 2007, West, like many of his peers, recorded an impromptu freestyle to the popular song "Throw Some D's." West's version became extremely popular because of the different stance he took. The song that to all other rappers was about automobile rims, was used by West to comically refer to D-cup breasts. Because of the unexpected success of the song, West went on to make a video for the freestyle, in which he is seen playing his 'Old Ass Cousin.'

West was also featured in a new song called "Classic (Better Than I've Ever Been)." It was believed to be a single from his upcoming album, Graduation, because he is featured on the track, but Nike quickly explained that it was for the Nike Air Force 1's anniversary. It was meant only to be an exclusive track for the company.

On March 25, 2007, he and his father Ray West supported World Water Day by having a "Walk for Water" rally. After a two-year break, West has returned to being a fashion columnist in lifestyle magazine Complex. On July 7, 2007 West performed with The Police and John Mayer at the American leg of Live Earth. West hosted the August 17 edition of British comedy-variety show The Friday Night Project. In May 2007, West split from long-time model girlfriend Alexis Rainey.

In July 2007, West changed the release date of Graduation, his third album, from September 18, 2007, to the same release date as 50 Cent's album Curtis, September 11, 2007. 50 Cent later claimed that if Graduation were to sell more records than Curtis, he would stop releasing solo albums. However, 50 Cent would later dispel his comments. The album has been certified double platinum. Guest appearances included T-Pain, Mos Def, & Lil Wayne.

“ When I heard that thing about the debate, I thought that was the stupidest thing. When my albums drops and 50's album drops, you're gonna get a lot of good music at the same time. ”

On August 26, 2007, West appeared as himself on the HBO television show Entourage which he used as a platform to premier his new single "Good Life" during the end credits. In September 2007, West suggested that his race had to do with his being overlooked for opening the MTV Video Music Awards in favor of Britney Spears; he claimed, "Maybe my skin’s not right." On September 9, 2007, West performed at the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards. On that night, he lost all 5 awards that he was nominated for, including Best Male Artist and Video of the Year. After the show, he was visibly upset that he had lost at the VMA's 2 years in a row, stating that he would not come back to MTV ever again. He also appeared on several radio stations saying that when he made the song "Stronger" that it was his dream to open the VMA's with it. He has also stated that Britney Spears hasn't had a hit in a long period of time and that MTV exploited her for ratings.

Following the MTV stint, West was nominated in 8 Grammy Award categories for the 50th annual Grammy Awards. He won four of them including Best Rap Album for Graduation and Best Rap Solo Performance for "Stronger" from Graduation. During the four-hour televised Grammy Awards ceremony, West also performed two songs: "Stronger" (with Daft Punk) and "Hey Mama" (in honor of his recently deceased mother).

Kanye West and designer Alexis Phifer ended their 18-month engagement in 2008. The couple had been dating on and off since 2002, with Kanye eventually proposing in August 2006. According to a friend, the couple's relationship had been straining, significantly influenced by the sheer amount of time and attention West was dedicating to his current concert tour. "Its always sad when things like this end, and we remain friends," Phifer told People.

On April 16, Kanye kicked off the Glow In The Dark Tour in Seattle at the Key Arena. The tour was originally scheduled to end in June in Cincinnati but has been extended into August. Over the course of the tour Kanye will be joined by a varying group of opening acts including Lupe Fiasco, Rihanna, N.E.R.D., DJ Craze, and Gnarls Barkley.

On September 7, West debuted a new song "Love Lockdown" at the MTV Video Music Awards. "Love Lockdown", which features no rapping and only singing using an auto-tune device, will appear on Kanye's upcoming fourth studio album, 808s & Heartbreak. The new album was expected to be released on December 16, but West announced on his blog on September 24, 2008, that he had finished the album and would be releasing it sometime in November, earlier than previously scheduled. In early October, West made a suprise appearance at a T.I. concert in Los Angeles, where he stated that 808s & Heartbreak will be released on November 25th, and that the second single will be "Heartless."

Musical style and influence

Kanye West's style of production often utilizes pitched-up vocal samples, usually from soul songs, with his own drums and instruments. The first major label song he produced was The Truth by Beanie Sigel, and his first major release featuring his trademark vocal sampling style was "This Can't Be Life," a track from Jay-Z’s The Dynasty: Roc La Familia. West said he sped up the drum beat of Dr. Dre's "Xxplosive" to use as a replacement for his drums on "This Can't Be Life."

West has said that Wu-Tang Clan producer RZA influenced him in his style,’ and has said on numerous occasions that Wu-Tang rappers Ghostface Killah and Ol' Dirty Bastard were some of his all-time favorites. Said by Kanye West:

“ Wu-Tang? Me and my friends talk about this all the time, We think Wu-Tang had one of the biggest impacts as far as a movement. From slang to style of dress, skits, the samples. Similar to the [production] style I use, RZA has been doing that. ”

Following the critical and commercial success of his debut The College Dropout, West went on to experiment with his production style for subsequent albums. Late Registration — during which he collaborated with film composer Jon Brion — saw West take on a more "cinematic" approach to hip-hop sound, incorporating his signature sampling style with horn riffs, piano loops, string arrangements, and various other orchestra to produce rich, multi-layered instrumentation. His style evolved even further during the conception of Graduation, for which made heavy use of synth-based beats and futuristic sound effects while distancing himself from soul samples, opting for a more eclectic variety of interpolations lifted from artists ranging from Elton John and Michael Jackson to Daft Punk and Public Enemy.

Alongside his pursuit as a producer and later a rapper, West has additionally displayed an escalating interest in singing over the course of his career. The first signs could be found within The College Dropout, which retained "Spaceship," a track that expressed a chorus delivered by West in a melodic, half-rapped, half-sung style—a manner not too different from and occasionally used by his favorite rappers Ghostface and ODB. In mid-2008, while guest starring on multiple other artists' singles, West first began singing verses both with the auto-tune effect on Young Jeezy's "Put On" and without on Fonzworth Bentley's "Everybody." It eventually culminated with the release of the lead single, "Love Lockdown", from Kanye's fourth album 808's & Heartbreak. The song stands as the first solo single by West to feature virtually no rapping whatsoever, instead sang entirely using the auto-tune effect.

Political views
In the song "Crack Music," West rapped, "How [did] we stop the Black Panthers?/Ronald Reagan cooked up an answer," a reference to the conspiracy that the Reagan administration intentionally placed crack cocaine in the ghettos of the United States. In the song "Roses," West rapped about his grandmother's struggle against AIDS and expressed his outrage at the limited availability of treatment: "If Magic Johnson got a cure for AIDS / And all the broke mothafuckas passed away / You telling me if my grandma was in the NBA / Right now she would be okay?." This is also a reference to Johnson's highly publicized battle with the HIV virus. Demonstrating his views against George W. Bush, in a 2006 live orchestral performance of "All Falls Down", West replaced "the White man gets paid off of all of that" with "George Bush gets paid off of all of that."

On August 22, 2005, the MTV special All Eyes On Kanye West aired, in which West spoke out against homophobia in hip-hop. He claimed that hip-hop has always been about "speaking your mind and about breaking down barriers, but everyone in hip-hop discriminates against gay people." He then reflected on a personal experience. He said that he had a "turning point" when he realized one of his cousins was gay. He said regarding this experience: "This is my cousin. I love him and I've been discriminating against gays." He drew comparison between African Americans' struggle for civil rights and today's gay rights movement. The following year, in an interview with Entertainment Weekly, West further expounded his experiences with and views on the relationship between the black and gay communities:

“ , Well, my level of consciousness has since raised. And I actually think that standing up for gays was even more crazy than bad-mouthing the president. In the black community, someone could label you gay and bring your career down. But that was me showing what black people are really about today, or at least what we need to be about.”

Kanye West has planned to perform at the Democratic National Convention in Denver in August, along with Wyclef Jean and N.E.R.D. in support of Barack Obama.

Hurricane Katrina fundraiser controversy

On September 2, 2005, during a benefit concert for Hurricane Katrina relief on NBC, A Concert for Hurricane Relief, West was a featured speaker. Controversy arose when West was presenting, as he deviated from the prepared script:

“ I hate the way they portray us in the media. You see a black family, it [the media] says, 'they're looting'. You see a white family, it says, 'they're looking for food'. And, you know, it's been five days [waiting for federal help] because most of the people are black. And even for me to complain about it, I would be a hypocrite because I've tried to turn away from the TV, because it's too hard to watch. I've even been shopping before even giving a donation, so now I'm calling my business manager right now to see what's, what is the biggest amount I can give, and just to imagine if I was, if I was down there, and those are, those are my people down there. So anybody out there that wants to do anything that we can help — with the set up, the way America is set up to help, the poor, the black people, the less well-off, as slow as possible. I mean, this is, the Red Cross is doing everything they can. We already realize a lot of people that could help are at war right now, fighting another way — and they've given them permission to go down and shoot us. ”

The actor Mike Myers, with whom West was paired to present, spoke next and continued to read the script. Once it was West's turn to speak again, he said "George Bush doesn't care about black people." At this point, telethon producer Rick Kaplan cut off the microphone and then cut away to Chris Tucker, who was unaware of the cut for a few seconds. Still, West's comment reached much of the United States.

Business Ventures

In August 2008, Kanye West revealed plans to open 10 Fatburger restaurants in the Chicago area, with the first coming in September 2008 in Orland Park. The second will follow in January 2009, while a third location is yet to be revealed, although they are in the process of finalizing the lease. His company, KW Foods LLC, has bought the rights to the chain in Chicago. Kanye is planning to release his own clothing line called Pastelle in late 2008 or 2009.

Philanthropy

Kanye West has started the "Kanye West Foundation" in Chicago, IL in 2003. In 2007 Kanye West was recognized by AAE as the fifth best Black Celebrity Philanthropists of 2007. On August 24 2007 Kanye hosted the inaugural benefit concert for his foundation that launched the foundations partnership with Strong American Schools. The foundation has also been called the Donda West Foundation at times. Focused on helping Latino and African American children stay in school and to get a proper education through grade school, high school, and college. The foundation also focuses on children who need help to stay in high school by finding a path through music. Kanye has contributed over 500,000 dollars to his foundation.

Kanye West has appeared and participated in many fundraisers, benefit concerts, and community work that include the Hurricane Katrina Fundraiser, Kanye West Foundation, Millions More Movement, 100 Black Men of America, Live Earth concert benefit, World Water Day rally and march, Nike runs, and a MTV special that shows firsthand Kanye West helping give young Iraq War veterans that struggle through debt and PTSD a second chance after returning home.

Mother's death

On Saturday, November 10, 2007, West's mother, Donda West, died due to complications from cosmetic surgery involving a tummy tuck and breast reduction procedure. TMZ reported that Beverly Hills physician Andre Aboolian had advised Donda West not to have surgery because she had higher risk due to a health condition that could lead to a heart attack. Aboolian referred her to another internist. Donda never met with the doctor recommended by Aboolian and had the procedures performed by a third doctor, Jan Adams.

Dr. Jan Adams sent condolences to Donda West's family but declined to publicly discuss the procedure because of confidentiality. He had been under scrutiny by the medical board. Dr. Adams appeared on Larry King Live on November 20, 2007 but left before speaking. Two days later, he appeared again, with his attorney, stating he was there to "defend himself." He stated the recently released autopsy results "spoke for themselves." The final coroner's report January 10, 2008 said Donda West died of "coronary artery disease and multiple post-operative factors due to or as a consequence of liposuction and mammoplasty."

The funeral and burial for West's mother, Donda West, was held in Oklahoma City on November 20, 2007. West held his first concert following the funeral at The O2 in London on November 22. He dedicated a performance of "Hey Mama," as well as a cover of Journey's "Don't Stop Believing," to his mother, and has done so on all other dates of his Glow in the Dark tour. West also sang a performance of "Hey Mama" at the 50th Grammy Awards. West first referred to his mother's death in his lyrics in Young Jeezy's song "Put On." The death of Kanye West's mother is also mentioned in The Game's song "My Life", where The Game explains how West's mother would be proud of him.

Arrest

On September 11, 2008, West and his road manager/bodyguard Don Crowley were arrested at Los Angeles International Airport and booked on charges of felony vandalism after an altercation with the paparazzi. The incident, which was caught on tape and later posted on TMZ.com, started after West and Crowley grabbed the men's cameras and broke them outside the passenger security screening area. The camera equipment was reportedly valued at more than $10,000, but according to TMZ, West had actually damaged only $100 worth of equipment. California law states that, "only someone who criminally damages property worth more than $400 can be prosecuted for felony vandalism," meaning that charges against West could be lowered to a misdemeanor from his encounter with the paparazzi at the airport. However, West's road manager Don Crowley destroyed more $7,000 worth of camera equipment belonging to TMZ meaning he still faces felony counts, West and Crowley were released from the Los Angeles Police Department's Pacific Division station in Culver City at 12:53 p.m PDT on $20,000 bail bond. On September 26, 2008 the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office said it would not file felony counts against West over the incident. Instead the case file has been forwarded to the city attorney's office, which could bring lesser misdemeanor charges against the musician.

Discography

Kanye West discography

The College Dropout (2004)
Late Registration (2005)
Graduation (2007)
808s & Heartbreak (2008)

Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by ofokasibe: 5:07pm On Mar 16, 2009
@brandedbent
i saw na me go scatter ya thread. you are a dunce and i repeat a dunce . who are u trying to lecture, your 7 fold father na me go lecture them, Bleep u and Bleep this thread. this thread is officially declared closed. have u noticed that nobody came here apart from me . and after i still came u still talk thrash and talk down on my lyrics, that is the reason why nobody will honour ur thread. bcuzz if they come here u will see talk down and talk thrash on their lyrics, this thread is officially declared closed. moderators close the thread now.! eff u branded ben
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by dyabman(m): 9:21am On Mar 18, 2009
ofokasibe

get a life , lipsrsealed
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 11:12am On Mar 21, 2009
Back to my thread

Creativity is the most important thing about lyrics, Sounding something more like Shakespear. You write a line that cud be intrepreted in many ways, Thats wat is creativity not battling. Its the easiest tin to do.

SO ladies and Gentlemen Please back to the thread and lets focus on the positive part.
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by ofokasibe: 2:33pm On Mar 21, 2009
BRANDED BEN YOU ARE A MUMU. SHEBI I TOLD U THAT NOBODY WILL COME HERE. YOU ARE TEACHING PEOPLE ALPHABETIC SLAUGHTER. IS THAT WHAT U CALL CREATIVITY?
. I TOLD U NOBODY WILL COME HERE . THIS THREAD IS PRONOUNCED DEAD AS IN DEAD!
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 3:18pm On Mar 26, 2009
Its dead if I pronounce it to be. I just haven't had enough time for this thread like I should cos I am a real hip hop n*. I practice hip hop so if you foolishly spend all your time online disturbing my thread, I spend more time outside the thread doing my tin. See thats how you can contribute to hip hop vocally. As far as I am concern this trend is growing. Did you see how many pple view this thread its amazing men. I am a new guy.My style is different thats why you are all up on me. You can even stand a build up your thread too. You are a failure and pple dont want you ard that why they watch you fool ard the thread. Silence is the best answer for a f*. So when I am ready we will begin heavily,

And if you wanna settle your score with me personally that Holla baby, Cos its high time I break you and teach you how tins are done here.
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 3:50pm On Mar 26, 2009
Hip hop music

Stylistic origins

Funk, disco, soul, R&B, dub, toasting, performance poetry, spoken word, signifying, the dozens, scat singing,

talking blues

Cultural origins

1970s, the Bronx, New York City

Typical instruments

Turntable, synthesizer, vocals, drum machine, sampler, beatboxing

Mainstream popularity From the late 1980s in the United States and worldwide in the 1990s, peaking in

early 2000s.

Hip hop music is a music genre typically consisting of a rhythmic vocal style called rap which is accompanied with

backing beats. Hip hop music is part of hip hop culture, which began in the Bronx, in New York City in the 1970s,

predominantly among African Americans and Latino Americans. The term rap music is often used synonymously with hip

hop music.

Rapping, also referred to as MCing or emceeing, is a vocal style in which the performer speaks rhythmically and in

rhyme, generally to a beat, recently, however, a difference has developed between "rapping" and "MCing". "MCing"

has been used to describe those artists who possess and exercise superior lyrical ability and prowess. Beats are

traditionally generated from portions of other songs by a DJ, or sampled from portions of other songs by a

producer, though synthesizers, drum machines, and live bands are also used, especially in newer music. Rappers may

perform poetry which they have written ahead of time, or improvise rhymes on the spot with or without a beat.

Though rap is usually an integral component of hip hop music, DJs sometimes perform and record alone, and many

instrumental acts are also defined as hip hop.

Origin and Characteristics

Origin of the term

Coinage of the term hip hop is often credited to Keith Cowboy, a rapper with Grandmaster Flash and The Furious

Five. Though Lovebug Starski, Keith Cowboy, and DJ Hollywood used the term when the music was still known as disco

rap, it is believed that Cowboy created the term while teasing a friend who had just joined the U.S. Army, by scat

singing the words "hip/hop/hip/hop" in a way that mimicked the rhythmic cadence of marching soldiers. Cowboy later

worked the "hip hop" cadence into a part of his stage performance, which was quickly copied by other artists; for

example the opening of the song "Rapper's Delight" by The Sugarhill Gang. Former Black Spades gang member Afrika

Bambaataa is credited with first using the term to describe the subculture that hip hop music belongs to, although

it is also suggested that the term was originally derisively used against the new type of music. The first use of

the term in print was in the Village Voice by Steven Hager, later author of a 1984 history of hip hop.

Characteristics of hip hop music

Hip hop music may be based around either live or produced music, with a clearly defined drum beat (almost always in

4/4 time signature), presented either with or without vocal accompaniment. Production may add looped musical

segments on top, from either sampled or originally sequenced music.

1970s

Roots of hip hop

The roots of hip hop are found in African American and West African music. The griots of West Africa are a group of

traveling singers and poets, whose musical style is reminiscent of hip-hop and who are part of an oral tradition

dating back hundreds of years. Within New York City, griot-like performances of poetry and music by artists such as

The Last Poets and Jalal Mansur Nuriddin had a great impact on the post-civil rights era culture of the 1960s and

1970s. Hip hop arose during the 1970s when block parties became common in New York City, especially the Bronx.

Block parties were usually accompanied by music, especially funk and soul music. The early DJs at block parties

began isolating the percussion breaks to hit songs, realizing that these were the most dance-able and entertaining

parts; this technique was then common in Jamaica and had spread via the substantial Jamaican immigrant community in

New York City, especially the "godfather" of hip hop, Jamaican, DJ Kool Herc.

Dub music had arisen in Jamaica due to the influence of American sailors and radio stations playing R&B. Large

sound systems were set up to accommodate poor Jamaicans, who couldn't afford to buy records, and dub developed at

the sound systems (refers to both the system and the parties that evolved around them). Herc was one of the most

popular DJs in early 70s New York, and he quickly switched from using reggae records to funk, rock and, later,

disco, since the New York audience did not particularly like reggae. Because the percussive breaks were generally

short, Herc and other DJs began extending them using an audio mixer and two records. Mixing and scratching

techniques eventually developed along with the breaks. (The same techniques contributed to the popularization of

remixes.) Such looping, sampling and remixing of another's music, sometimes without the original artist's knowledge

or consent, can be seen as an evolution of Jamaican dub music, and would become a hallmark of the hip hop style.

DJs and "MCs" would often add call and response chants, often comprising of a basic chorus, to allow the performer

to gather his thoughts (such as "one, two, three, y'all, to the beat, y'all"wink.

Later, the MCs grew more varied in their vocal and rhythmic approach, incorporating brief rhymes, often with a

sexual or scatological theme, in an effort at differentiating themselves and entertaining the audience. These early

raps incorporated similar rhyming lyrics from African American culture, such as the dozens. While Kool Herc & the

Herculoids were the first hip hoppers to gain major fame in New York, more MC teams quickly sprouted up.

Frequently, these were collaborations between former gang members, such as Afrikaa Bambaataa's Universal Zulu

Nation (now a large, international organization). Melle Mel, a rapper/lyricist with The Furious Five is often

credited with being the first rap lyricist to call himself an "MC." During the early 1970s, breakdancing arose

during block parties, as b-boys and b-girls got in front of the audience to dance in a distinctive, frenetic style.

The style was documented for release to a world wide audience for the first time in documentaries and movies such

as Style Wars, Wild Style, and Beat Street.

Although there were many early MCs that recorded solo projects of note, such as DJ Hollywood, Kurtis Blow and

Spoonie Gee, real notoriety didn't appear until later with the rise of soloists with really big stage presence and

drama, such as LL Cool J. Most early hip hop was dominated by groups where collaboration among the members was

integral to the show.

Stylistic diversification

Pete DJ Jones, Eddie Cheeba, DJ Hollywood and Love Bug Starski were disco-flavored early hip hop DJs. Others hip

hop musicians focused on rapid-fire rhymes and more complex rhythmic schemes. Afrika Bambaataa, Paul Winley,

Grandmaster Flash and Bobby Robinson were members of this group. During the transition into the early 1980s, many

felt that hip hop was a novelty fad that would soon die out. This was to become a constant accusation for at least

the next fifteen years.

The first hip hop recording was probably the New Jersey-based Sugar Hill Gang's Rapper's Delight in 1979. By the

1980s, all the major elements and techniques of the genre were in place. Though not yet mainstream, hip hop was by

now well known among African Americans, even outside of New York City; it could be found in cities as diverse as

Los Angeles, Washington, DC, Baltimore, Dallas, Kansas City, San Antonio, TX, Miami, Seattle, St. Louis, New

Orleans, and Houston.

Despite the genre's spreading popularity, Philadelphia was, for many years, the only city whose contributions to

hip hop were valued as greatly as New York City's by fans and critics. Hip hop music was popular there at least as

far back as the late 1970s (the first Philadelphia hip hop record was "Rhythm Talk", by Jocko Henderson in 1979),

and the New York Times dubbed Philadelphia the "Graffiti Capital of the World" in 1971. A Philadelphia-area radio

DJ, Lady B, was the first female solo hip hop artist to record music ("To the Beat Y'All", 1980). Later Schoolly D,

another Philadelphia-based artist, helped invent what became known as gangsta rap.

1980s

Old school hip hop and New school hip hop

The 1980s saw intense diversification of hip hop which developed into a more complex form. As technology evolved so

did the practice of looping break into breakbeats; the emergence of samplers and sequencers allowed the beats to be

manipulated with greater precision and granularity and recombined in more complex new ways than was possible with

vinyl alone. In 1984, Marley Marl accidentally caught a drum machine snare hit in the sampler; this innovation was

vital in the development of electro and other later types of hip hop. In 1989, DJ Mark James under the moniker "45

King", released "The 900 Number", a breakbeat track created by synchronizing samplers and vinyl.

The content evolved as well. The tales of 1970s MCs were replaced by highly metaphoric lyrics rapping over complex,

multi-layered beats. Some rappers even became mainstream pop performers, including Kurtis Blow, whose appearance in

a Sprite commercial made him the first hip hop musician to be considered mainstream enough to represent a major

product. Another popular performer among mainstream audiences was LL Cool J, who was a success from the release of

his first LP, Radio

Hip hop was almost entirely unknown outside of the United States prior to the early 1980s. During that decade, it

began its spread to every inhabited continent and became a part of the music scene in dozens of countries. In the

early part of the decade, breakdancing became the first aspect of hip hop culture to reach Germany, Japan and South

Africa, where the crew Black Noise established the practice before beginning to rap later in the decade. Meanwhile,

recorded hip hop was released in France (Dee Nasty's 1984 Paname City Rappin') and the Philippines (Dyords Javier's

"Na Onseng Delight" and Vincent Dafalong's "Nunal"wink. In Puerto Rico, Vico C became the first Spanish rapper, and

his recorded work was the beginning of what became known as reggaeton.

Turntablism

While early hip hop arose through the decline of funk and disco while still employing their musicianship, there was

the rise of artists who employed the use of the turntable as an instrument in itself. Hip hop turntablist DJs use

turntable techniques such as beat mixing/matching, scratching, and beat juggling to create a base that can be

rapped over. Turntablism is generally focused more on turntable technique and less on mixing. Each scratch of the

turntable is considered unique due to the complex waveforms produced and employing digital sampling is considered

an affront to a true Turntablist. Prominent artists included the Invisibl Skratch Piklz, The X-Ecutioners, and the

Beat Junkies.

Nationalization and internationalization

World hip hop

Hip-hop has globalized into many cultures worldwide. We now find hip-hop in every corner of the globe, and like the

South Bronx, each locale embodies a kind of globalism. Hip hop has emerged globally as an arts movement with the

imperative to create something fresh by using technology, speech, and the body in new ways. The music and the art

continue to embrace, even celebrate, its transnational dimensions while staying true to the local cultures to which

it is rooted. Hip-hop's inspiration differs depending on each culture. Still, the one thing virtually all hip hop

artists worldwide have in common is that they acknowledge their debt to those Black and Latino kids in New York who

launched this global movement in the first place. As hip-hop is sometimes taken for granted by Americans, it is not

so elsewhere, especially in the developing world, where it has come to represent the empowerment of the

disenfranchised and a slice of the American dream. American hip-hop music has reached the cultural corridors of the

globe and has been absorbed and reinvented around the world.

1990s

Gangsta rap became mainstream in 1992 with the release of Dr. Dre's The Chronic. This album established a style

called G Funk, which soon came to dominate West Coast hiphop. Other artists such as Tupac Shakur, who started his

rapping career in 1991, would dominate in the '90s becoming the highest-selling rapper with more than 75 million

albums sold worldwide.[citation needed] The Notorious B.I.G. rose to fame around the same time. Being from New

York, Biggie brought the East Coast back into the mainstream at a time when the West Coast mainly dominated rap.

Record labels based out of Atlanta, St. Louis, and New Orleans also gained fame for their local scenes. The midwest

rap scene also had good achievements with unique fast rapping styles from artists such as Bone Thugs-n-Harmony and

Twista. By the end of the decade, hip hop was an integral part of popular music, and many American pop songs had a

hip hop components.

World

In the 1990s and the following decade, elements of hip hop continued to be assimilated into other genres of popular

music. Nu soul, for example, combined hip hop and soul music and produced some major stars[who?]. In the Dominican

Republic, a recording by Santi Y Sus Duendes and Lisa M became the first single of merenrap, a fusion of hip hop

and merengue.

New York City experienced a heavy Jamaican hip hop influence during the 90s. This influence was brought on by

cultural shifts particularly because of the heightened immigration of Jamaicans to New York City and the American-

born Jamaican youth who were coming of age during the 90s. Hip hop artists such as De La Soul and Black Star have

produced albums influenced by Jamaican roots.

In Europe, Africa, and Asia, hip hop began to move from the underground to mainstream audiences. In Europe, hip hop

was the domain of both ethnic nationals and immigrants. Germany, for example, produced the well-known Die

Fantastischen Vier as well as several Turkish performers like the controversial Cartel, Kool Savas, and Eko Fresh.

Similarly, France has produced a number of native-born stars, such as IAM and Suprême NTM, but the most famous

French rapper is probably the Senegalese-born MC Solaar. The Netherlands' most famous rappers are The Osdorp Posse,

an all-white crew from Amsterdam, and The Postmen from Cape Verde and Suriname. Italy found its own rappers,

including Jovanotti and Articolo 31, grow nationally renowned, while the Polish scene began in earnest early in the

decade with the rise of PM Cool Lee. In Romania, B.U.G. Mafia came out of Bucharest's Pantelimon neighborhood, and

their brand of gangsta rap underlines the parallels between life in Romania's Communist-era apartment blocks and in

the housing projects of America's ghettos. Israel's hip hop grew greatly in popularity at the end of the decade,

with several stars emerging from both sides of the Palestinian (Tamer Nafer) and Jewish (Subliminal) divide. Mook

E., preached peace and tolerance, others expressed nationalist and violent sentiments.

In Asia, mainstream stars rose to prominence in the Philippines, led by Francis Magalona, Rap Asia, MC Lara and

Lady Diane. In Japan, where underground rappers had previously found a limited audience, and popular teen idols

brought a style called J-rap to the top of the charts in the middle of the '90s.

Latinos had played an integral role in the early development of hip hop, and the style had spread to parts of Latin

America, such as Cuba, early in its history. In Mexico, popular hip hop began with the success of Calo in the early

'90s. Later in the decade, with Latin rap groups like Cypress Hill on the American charts, Mexican rap rock groups,

such as Control Machete, rose to prominence in their native land. An annual Cuban hip hop concert held at Alamar in

Havana helped popularize Cuban hip hop, beginning in 1995. Hip hop grew steadily more popular in Cuba, because

official governmental support for musicians.

West Coast

West Coast hip hop

After N.W.A broke up, Dr. Dre (a former member) released The Chronic in 1992, which peaked at #1 on the R&B/hip hop

chart, #3 on the pop chart and spawned a #2 pop single with "Nuthin' but a "G" Thang." The Chronic took West Coast

rap in a new direction,[16] influenced strongly by P funk artists, melding the psychedelic funky beats with slowly

drawled lyrics. This came to be known as G funk and dominated mainstream hip hop for several years through a roster

of artists on Death Row Records including Snoop Doggy Dogg, whose Doggystyle included the songs "What's My Name"

and "Gin and Juice," both Top Ten pop hits{{Fact}.

East Coast

New York became dominated in terms of sales by Puff Daddy (No Way Out), Mase (Harlem World) and other Bad Boy

Records artists. Other New York-based artists continued with a harder sound, achieving limited popular success. Nas

(Illmatic), and The Wu-Tang Clan (Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)), for example, received excellent reviews but

generally mediocre sales.[citation needed]

The rivalry between the East Coast and the West Coast rappers eventually turned into a personal rivalry, aided in

part by the music media.

Diversification of styles

List of hip hop genres

In the late '90s, the style of hip hop diversified. The South got on the hip hop map with the rise of Southern rap,

starting with OutKast's ATLiens and Goodie Mob's (Soul Food). Both groups were based out of Atlanta. Later, Master

P (Ghetto D) built up a roster of artists (the No Limit posse) based out of New Orleans. Master P incorporated G

funk and Miami bass influences, and distinctive regional sounds from St. Louis, Chicago, Washington D.C., Detroit

and others began to gain popularity. Also in the 1990s, rapcore (a fusion of hip hop and heavy metal.) became

popular among mainstream audiences. Rage Against the Machine, Linkin Park and Limp Bizkit were among the most well

known rapcore bands. Though white rappers like the Beastie Boys, Vanilla Ice, and 3rd Bass had had some popular

success or critical acceptance from the hip hop community, Eminem's success, beginning in 1999 with the platinum

The Slim Shady LP surprised many. However, Eminem was criticized for glorification of violence, misogyny, and drug

abuse as well as homophobia and albums laced with constant profanity Some alternative hip hop musicians, with a

socially aware or positive or optimistic tone, achieved moderate mainstream success. Such examples include De La

Soul's Three Feet High and Rising which was listed in The Source Magazine's 100 Best Rap Albums. Gang Starr's No

More Mr. Nice Guy and the Jungle Brothers' Straight Out the Jungle are considered notable albums in this genre,

with jazz-based samples and lyrics strongly influenced by the Afrocentric messages of Bambaataa's Zulu Nation

collective. Later alternative artists like A Tribe Called Quest, Mos Def, and The Roots, also achieved some

mainstream success, though the influence of jazz had grown less pronounced (with some exceptions, such as Guru's

Jazzmatazz project). Jazz rap went on to influence the development of trip hop in the United Kingdom, which fuses

hip hop, jazz, and electronic music. It is said[citation needed] to have been started by Massive Attack's Blue

Lines (1991). Arrested Development released their album 3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of, in 1992, which

included the hit single, "Tennessee."

2000s

World and national music

In the year 2000, The Marshall Mathers LP by Eminem sold over ten million copies in the United States, and Nelly's

debut LP, Country Grammar, sold over six million copies. The United States also saw the success of alternative hip

hop in the form of moderately popular performers like The Roots, Dilated Peoples and Mos Def, who achieved unheard

-of success for their field.

As the decade progressed, hip hop has transformed from the more or less "old school" rhythmic rap to a more melodic

hip hop that has the elements of jazz, classical, pop, reggae, and many other genres. Hip hop also gave birth to

subgenres such as snap music and crunk. Hip hop influences also found their way into mainstream pop during this

period as well.

Some countries, like Tanzania, maintained popular acts of their own in the early 2000s, though many others produced

few homegrown stars, instead following American trends.
Scandinavian, especially Danish and Swedish, performers became well known outside of their country, while hip hop

continued its spread into new regions, including Russia, Japan, Philippines, Canada, China, Korea and India.

In Germany and France, gangsta rap has become popular among youths who like the violent and aggressive lyrics. Some

German rappers openly or comically flirt with Nazism, Bushido (born Anis Mohamed Youssef Ferchichi) raps

"Salutiert, steht stramm, Ich bin der Leader wie A" (Salute, stand to attention, I am the leader like 'A') and Fler

had a hit with the record Neue Deutsche Welle (New German Wave) complete with the title written in Third Reich

style Gothic print and advertised with an Adolf Hitler quote. These references also spawned great controversy in

Germany.

Decline in sales

Starting in 2005, sales of hip-hop music in the United States began to severely wane, leading Time magazine to

question if mainstream hip-hop was "dying." Billboard Magazine found that, since 2000, rap sales dropped 44%,and

declined to 10% of all music sales, which, while still a commanding figure when compared to other genres, is a

significant drop from the 13% of all music sales where rap music regularly placed. NPR culture critic Elizabeth

Blair noted that, "some industry experts say young people are fed up with the violence, degrading imagery and

lyrics. Others say the music is just as popular as it ever was, but that fans have found other means to consume the

music." It can also be argued that many young people now download music illegally, especially through P2P networks,

instead of purchasing albums and singles from legitimate stores. Some put the blame on the lack of lyrical content

that hip hop once had, for example Soulja Boy Tell 'Em's 2007 debut album souljaboytellem.com was met with negative

reviews. Lack of sampling, a key element of hip hop also has been noted for the decrease in quality of modern

albums. For example, there are only three samples used in 2008's Paper Trail by T.I., while there are 35 samples in

1998's Moment of Truth by Gang Starr. The decrease in sampling is in part due to it being too expensive for

producers. In Byron Hurt's documentary Hip Hop: Beyond Beats and Rhymes, he claims that hip hop had changed from

"clever rhymes and dance beats" to "advocating personal, social and criminal corruption."
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 3:56pm On Mar 26, 2009
If you want to reach your potential, you have to show initiative. Initiative is the first step to anywhere you want to go. Where start in life is not as important as where you are going. If you are willing to get started and keep initiating there is no limit you cannot break through. In part one of this book which included the profiles on successful rap entertainers I am sure you wud have read what happened to the rapper THE GAME when he had a seroius disagreement with is label and mentor 50cent. It was initiative that helped him through it all.He was strong all through the crisis and he emerged victorious at the end of the day by resolving or using his initiative to make the right decision.
Initiative also closes the door to fear, just like Katherine Patterson said " To fear is one thing. To let fear grab you by the tail and swing around is anoda" We all have our fears and whats important is whether we control them or allow them control us.Also Norman Vincent Peale asserted "Action is a great restorer and builder of confidence. Inaction is not only the result, but the cause of fear. Perhaps the action you take will be successful perhaps different action or adjustments will have to follow.But any action is better than no action at all." So if you want to close the door to fear just keeping moving on.
When you are very initiative opportunities will be opened to you. Benjamin Franklin said To succeed, jump quickly at opportunities as you do at conclusion." Artist who take initiative and work hard may succeed or they may fail.And for those who do not take initiatives are finished products of failure.
Nearly all good pple have good ideas and thots but many of them neva translate those into action. Doing so requires initiative Most pple recognise that initiative is beneficial yet they still frequently underestimate its true value.Talent without initiative neva reaches its potentials.Its like a caterpillar that wont get into its cocoon. It will neva transform, forever relegated to crawling on the ground even though it had the potential to fly. Wen must try our possible best to reduce the factor of procrastination as we are al guilty of that. Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe said "to put ideas into action is the most difficukt thing in the world". The truth is if you want to reach your potentials you must show initiative. So mustbe wiling to accept responsibility just like Socrates said " To move the world we must first move ourselves". Its extremely difficult to be successful if you are forever putting things off:dont procrastinate. Also share your dreams and goals with a friend who is willing to help.
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by Jduck13(m): 6:41pm On Mar 26, 2009
OK we ressurectin Hip Hop I got u

Hip hop is dead time fo a correction/
I have this thing doin like Jesus Christ, ressurectin/
my rhymes meanin complex n/ harder then an erection/
its night but imma light this thing up like my complexion/
thats right im white pale as casper/
but people will call me God very soon after/
I capture/ your imagination in a lyrical rapture/
hip hops been bull but now im clearin the pasture/
leadin wit magic lyrics hitem wit hocus pocus/
take it old school like my bro is moses/
but I am moses spittin this sermon/
dont split reds sea but I be rippin the virgins/
sorry to get so sexual it seems bad enough/
I wack ma stuff/ while watchin porn of the fattest butts/
sorry mom im bad as fu** /she used to whip my a** while actin up/
now she shake her head at ma meanin of rap/
coz i spit true dont dance fo cash/
these new cats not understandin the truth/
bentleys n benjamins all I hear in da booth/
but U.S. is in recession hows this possible/
class is in session bro its impossible/
so how bout speakin honestly this is mine/
im jus a crazy mothafucka tryna blaze these rhymes/
n so what if my name don't blow up/
u think when this thangs at its peak that ma name won't show up/
im doin mouth to mout on this thang gaspin in desperation.
tryin hard as I can to get the game somes respiration/

(hook)
momma complains, im ressurectin the game
so what if I sing would u rather me slang
n so what if I fu** don't we all need a moment
n momma I love Jesus n don't foget that u know it
but this is my time I gotta take it dont u see
I gotta give the game life like its bein conceivedx2
(chorus)
so don't complain momma don't you cry
when u die it wont be goodbye
my hearts sold to hiphop n i live like hell
but when I get shot I won't see them cellsx4

So its time fo anotha verse thats 2
I aint holdin gats but I will clap u
on the butt if you a chick n u lookin ripe
gettin ma hard on wantin to get some but tonight
so im greasy im grimy n im sorry fo all that
try to do good but continue to fall back
hit myself in the head twenty billion times wit a ball bat
but still continue to do wrong whats goin on this is all whack
momma said get Jesus itll make things much betta

Will finish later, Not that good but ill finish in a minute
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 7:01pm On Mar 26, 2009
That was very impressing and you sure do have a talent, Now lets take it a little higher.

You will have to write a song with a chorus that proofs your point about hip hop.

I cant wait to read your reply.
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 7:04pm On Mar 26, 2009
Oh I just saw your song
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by Jduck13(m): 7:05pm On Mar 26, 2009
yea I edited it wink lol my song stinks but thats ok
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 7:11pm On Mar 26, 2009
Nice, delivery
The reason why I like your lyrics
* You talked abt hip hop and how it affected your life and family. Thats a plus at least its not all abt you
* You talked abt the benefits of hip hop thats beta dan just rap battling like Ofokasibe

Dude I am impressed. You should have finished your lyrics. All the same you have a 6/10.
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 7:21pm On Mar 26, 2009
OFOKASIBE FUCKUP[center][/center]

It is obvious that our thread enemy Ofokasibe is a wack ass slowpoke. He also isn't ethically sound.
Take a look at his disgrace on anoda thread

ofokasibe

Re: Ofoka Vs Baudex Battle Till U Can Battle No More !
« #32 on: March 23, 2009, 08:05 AM »

baudex the bastard liar. this is 24hrs after i asked u to proof what u said and upload the purported song u said i sent, its now obvious that you are a son from a lying family.ladies and gents baudex is now caught as a bastard liar.

Report to moderator Logged

NAIRALAND'S MOST VALUED METHUSELLA. ITS NAIJA
www.bolaji.forumsland.com

MatZ-O.Dryd

« #33 on: March 23, 2009, 08:28 AM »

You are the liar,why dont u say anything about the multiple accounts u have,U CHEAT,VOTING 4 URSELF ON POLLS.mayb u think every body is as dumb as u.
I consider this thread closed.

MatZ-O.Dryd

« #34 on: March 23, 2009, 09:25 AM »

I checked the links,so shut up.No one will want to battle u,like i said its 4-2,my brother killed u.

ofokasibe

« #35 on: March 23, 2009, 12:12 PM »

LMFAO WHAT A BUNCHA CLOWNS . DO U THINK THIS IS FAMILY CIRCLE?. SOON BAUDEX WILL CALL HIS FATHER TO COME AND RAP AND TELL UR DAFT BROTHER AM STILL WAITING FOR THE PROOF . LET HIM UPLOAD THE SONG HE SAID THEY SENT TO HIM . @BAUDEX EVEN IF U CALL UR ENTIRE FAMILY CIRCLE UR BRODA SISTA , MUM PLUS FATHER I WILL BEAT ALL OF U TOGETHER. CAN U IMAGINE I AM SURE BAUDEX IS JUST 13YRS OLD. GO AND CALL ALL UR COUSINS TO COME VOTE FOR U . OK? AND WE ARE ASTILL WAITING FOR U TO UPLOAD THE SONG YOU LIAR SONOFABITCH.

NAIRALAND'S MOST VALUED METHUSELLA. ITS NAIJA
www.bolaji.forumsland.com

Baudex (m)
Festac,Lagos Nigeria

« #36 on: March 24, 2009, 05:14 AM »

Bolaji another account,
link https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?action=profile;u=132011
making it 4 accounts,fool !
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by ofokasibe: 5:50am On Mar 27, 2009
BRANDEDBEN'S BRAIN .HEY MY NAME IS BRANDEDBEN I WILL ATTEMPT TO FOOL THIS NAIRALANDERS AND COPY LINKS ONLINE LIKE AM TEACHING THEM TO RAP. BRANDEDBEN IS A BITCH COPYING AND PASTING AND PLAGIARISING HIPHOP RESEARCH CARRIED OUT BY OTHERS. WWW.WIKIPEDIA.COM/HIPHOP_HISTORY

@JDUCK
THE BITCH BRANDEDBEN IS ACTUALLY USING UR LYRICS TO DEVELOP HIS OWN SONGS, HE IS STEALING AND MANIPULATING UR LINES AND CONVERTING TO HIS .BRANDEDBEN IS A LINE STEALING THIEF, ITS HITIME I EXPOSE UR ASS grin shocked grin ANYONE DROPPING CHJORUS HERE IS EXPOSING HIS VERSES TO THEFT BY BRANDEDBEN . SO BE CAREFUL OF BRANDEDBEN. HE IS A ROGUE IN DISGUISE grin
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 1:27pm On Mar 30, 2009
Ofokasibe

It is crystally clear that you are just an empty barrel making noise in Nairaland. With or without you I am going to keep on hyping Hip hop. I make my research on the internet and I helping people understand what they dont know abt hip hop so it does not matter where I get the info from, the most important tin is that I got the info that will help change pples thinking and widen there knowledge. So stop beefing and start doing sometin worthwhile.
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by ofokasibe: 2:03pm On Mar 30, 2009
brandedben you are a plagiarising dunce, only a fool does harm to hiphop by copying other peoples research and saying it is his own . and we wont stand here like this and watch fools like u do injustice to hiphop. brandedben is a fraud and you have been exposed as one of those killin hiphop
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by brandedben(m): 2:07pm On Mar 31, 2009
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN I DECLARED OFOKASIBE AS A PARASITE IN THIS FORUM. ANY THING HE SAYS SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED. HE IS JUST A WASTE OF TIME.
Re: Creative Lyrical Writings: Rank Your Creativity And Grow by Crude(m): 2:38pm On Mar 31, 2009
@04ka

U's an unblended retarded vermin, always startn isht wiv som1. . . . . .stupid ass

(1) (2) (Reply)

****WARCRAFT**** Spit Or Quit (Wordsmith) / The Greek gods Cipher (official Signup Thread) / Nairaland Emceez : 2007 Rap Up (introspective)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 272
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.