Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,185 members, 7,807,625 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:27 PM

Americans Flocking To China - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Americans Flocking To China (4049 Views)

Airazman Launches 5th Aircraft To Operate From Kano To China (Photos) / Nigeria Ranked 5th Most Dangerous Place For Americans To Visit / Woman Blasted For Photoshopping Her Trip From Kenya To China (Hilarious Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Americans Flocking To China by 1stworldview: 9:18pm On Jul 19, 2015
Americans Flocking to China

A recent Chinese survey showed that 600,000 Americans were living in China at the end of 2014.

China is now issuing 10 year visas to Americans; in the past, most visas were limited to 30 days. In response, the US embassy has now started issuing 10 year tourist visas for Chinese nationals. With rapid growth of wealth in China, the likelihood of a Chinese person over-staying their visa is considered minimal. Experts say that there are now many more opportunities in China than in the US, thus the Chinese people are no longer looking to come to the US for economic reasons. In the past the US was a magnet for the poor of China, but in the last decade China moved over 600 million people from poverty to the middle class.

So what is drawing so many Americans and Europeans to China?

Education:

Now that China has become the world's economic super power they now have their eye on becoming the world's intellectual super power. A CNN special report last month predicted that China will have enrolled more than 75% of its toddlers in preschool by the end of the year. In contrast, the US has less that 24% of is children in preschool.

China now has over 4000 universities. In June of 2015, Chinese students took their equivalent of the SAT test, with more than 9.4 million students testing at exactly the same time. All testing facilities used video surveillance and facial recognition to insure no one was cheating, and even installed special material on the walls and windows to block all electronic signals. In China your test scores are the sole consideration for getting in a universality, not how much money you have or who your daddy knows. The average cost of university in China is under $1,500 per year. US public college is just under $10,000 per year, and private college costs amount to just under $45,000 per year on average. China has committed mass resources to education.

In contrast, Arizona Governor Doug Ducey has cut education funding to an all time low. The US ranks 38th in the world in education results; Arizona ranks 50th in the US. So why politicians and their major financial supporters do not care about public education; they have no plans to send their own children to public school or to Arizona Universities. Education in Arizona has grown so bad as to become a punch line in the recent comedy film TED2. Thousands of teachers are expected to leave education this year alone. These massive cuts where done to balance the budget after a billion dollar tax cut for the wealthy. Linda Collins, a teacher in Arizona, says, "It's simple: there is no support for education or the teachers in Arizona."

Ironically, the very corporations that pushed and benefited from these tax cuts, which then led to the cuts in education, those very corporations applied for more than 75,000 works visas, arguing they could not find the skilled labor needed in the US; most of the 75,000 work visas came from Asian countries.

Economic Stability:

Economic expert David Reagon say, "China is becoming the world super power, not using planes and bombs, but by the sheer force of financial power. China is making deals all over the world, from rare metals to commodities, to long term contacts for natural resources.

By contrast, US policy offers financial assistance to countries as payment for their support on issues such as wars on terror and drugs. To be successful, the policy depends on a supposed trickle down effect where the money spent hopefully touches the people who would benefit from it. China simply comes in and builds infrastructure to benefit everyone in the region. Roads, hospitals, shipping ports, and more. Only a few years ago China built a beautiful convention center in Jamaica, in return for a 25 year business relationship between themselves and Jamaican sugar production. China in the last decade has made these type of deals all over Africa, insuring it has all the natural resources it needs for decades to come.

Even in the US, China was able to get massive support for the Keystone Pipeline. The project that would bring cheap Canadian oil to ports in Texas. China already holds the contract for all steel pipe needed to build the project. And once the pipeline is completed, China would be the main receiver of the oil. Tanker bringing expensive middle eastern oil to the US, would typically returned empty. With the Keystone pipeline, tankers would be able to take cheap Canadian oil back to China. Since China has controlling interest in most of the Canadian tar sands projects, they would have final say on who gets the oil, currently the US is the only buyer of the oil. This would end if China can get the oil to a port.

China also recently signed a long-term agreement for natural gas and oil which it would receive via a Russian pipelines. Obviously, China has ensured itself long-term supplies of both oil and natural gas.

With stable supplies of natural resources and a county with virtually no debt and no ongoing wars, it is easy to see why China has such a stable economy."

Infrastructure:

David Goodwin editor of Escaping America says, "The mass transit system is so well done I see no reason to ever own a car. I can travel locally by metro, and from city to city by bullet trains. All for about 90% less than owning a car. China currently has over 1,500 bullet trains; US: 0. The cost is less then a lunch in the US.

Airlines are also inexpensive, many flights are only $50 to $200 to fly across the country with as little as one day booking and no baggage fees. All major cites have great metro systems, easy to navigate and signs and announcements are also in English, with digital displays letting you know where you are at.

Need a taxi? Taxies are always just click away and regulated by the government using meters. Most taxies and just a few dollars, a one hour ride about $25 USD.

There is little to no crime that I have seen. Opening a business here has been easy, and the government has helped make it easy to transfer funds into the country. I always hear that China is referred to as a communist country, but from what I have seen it looks like capitalism on steroids.

The only thing I don't like is the housing. Housing is much smaller than in the US, but the Chinese spend very little time at home. Here, I can stay in a nice hotel, with breakfast for less cost than owning a house in the US. But one upside of smaller housing is that it impacts the environment much less."

Family and Life Styles:

David further explains, "There are so many things to do in China, I'm never bored. China has everything you can imagine, and at a fraction of the cost. From night life to shopping, China is number one. Most of China is new, everything is carefully thought out, and well-planned. Another word is convenient: airports, train stations, and overall city lay out.

All the time I was in china I never saw a policeman with a gun. Just think about that for a moment: the police feel so safe they do not feel the need to carry guns.

One of the big things you will notice once you arrive in China is the diversity of the food. You find incredible restaurants everywhere you go, of every nationality. The cost of food is much less then US. I can easily afford to eat out every day, there is no tax or tips on food. But the quality of food is what stands out. The Chinese government has adopted very high standards regarding what can and can not be added to food. Many chemicals, hormones, and genetically altered foods are banned. In China, food is still made by chefs. In comparison, much of the food in the US is now made by scientists. General Mills, one of the largest food makers in the US, employs thousands of scientists, but very few chefs. As you would expect, nutrition habits are much better in China. Just walking down the street, you can see it. Rarely do you see anyone obese. In the US, well no more needs to be said. "

Kenneth Agee, International Business Consultant for A Foreign Affair - a US company operating dating sites in China, says, "The Chinese market has boomed in the last 10 years, and we currently operate more than 20 affiliate offices in China. We have seen a big change during this time. When we started operation, is was all about Chinese women wanting to meet and marry American men, and then move to the US. Now almost 50% of the women preferring marriage now want their new husbands to move to China. Most men we discuss this with are initially very reluctant to the idea. But upon arriving and seeing China, they are amazed at how far the country has come. They are also amazed that many of women here are financially able to support their husbands."

Each month, A Foreign Affair brings American men to China to meet Chinese women. These events attract hundreds of beautiful women looking for a husband. So popular have the events become, Chinese women often refer to American men as "Mail Order Grooms".

Environment:

China has also made big strides in pollution control. Many cites now use only natural gas buses and taxis. Most motorcycles are now electric. Not only is air pollution reduced, but noise pollution has dramatically declined.

Last year, more than 50% of China's new energy supply came from renewable energy sources.

Last year, nearly 560 million people planted more than 2.5 billion trees throughout China. The accumulated efforts of volunteers reached 8.8 billion with more than 42 billion trees planted during the 1982-2003 period. *NAC's statistics

To date, the area of human-planted trees across China has exceeded 46 million hectares (113 million acres - 176,000 sq miles) of trees, ranking it first in the world.

Meanwhile, in the US, many of our US leaders are still arguing that global climate change is a myth.

Healthcare:

By the end of 2008, China's leaders had already concluded that major reforms were necessary for both medical insurance and its delivery system, thus shoring up the system and ensuring social stability. In a fourth and ongoing phase of evolution, they officially abandoned the experiment with a health care system based predominantly on market principles, and committed to providing affordable basic health care for all Chinese people by 2020. By that time, a government-subsidized insurance system will provide 95% of the population with modest but comprehensive health coverage.

As of 2013, China had 9,800 private hospitals, which meant the people of China had a choice between public or private medical care. This created tremendous competition and kept costs extremely low but high in quality. In comparison, only 5,686 hospitals exist in all the US, either public or private. For most Chinese people, affordable and quality healthcare is just minutes away. David Goodwin states, "Healthcare is so affordable that I don't even need health insurance to afford to use a private hospital"

Conclusion:

Americans are seeing the great opportunities and a higher standard of living in China.Thus many Americans now call China Home.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Americans Flocking To China by helpinghands(m): 9:19pm On Jul 19, 2015
;
Re: Americans Flocking To China by delishpot: 9:22pm On Jul 19, 2015
Its all good. When will Naija beat china? I know it can happen.

2 Likes

Re: Americans Flocking To China by tosynbolade(m): 10:17pm On Jul 19, 2015
I love educative threads
Re: Americans Flocking To China by ihesiuloa(m): 10:20pm On Jul 19, 2015
I guess naija people don dey prepare to explore chinko be that oh! Gbam!
Re: Americans Flocking To China by tpiadotcom: 11:27pm On Jul 19, 2015
Did you just know?

And are nigerians not flocking there as well?
Re: Americans Flocking To China by helpsystem: 1:20am On Jul 20, 2015
Already, its been believed that China or iran will be the next world power. So I am not surprise or amazed by this article. Americans only have media as there only tool now, even weapon they are not the best. Cc lalasticlala I tip this article for frontpage.

2 Likes

Re: Americans Flocking To China by Moana(f): 2:56am On Jul 20, 2015
Chinco will take over yankee soon grin and New Year's Day will no longer be on 1 Jan again embarassed
Re: Americans Flocking To China by ttmacoy: 4:43am On Jul 20, 2015
Re: Americans Flocking To China by ramalot(m): 9:05am On Jul 20, 2015
The last sentence, or "conclusion" is like the punchline a comedian closes out his session with. China has a "much higher" standard of living than the U.S? What da heck are you smoking?

The economic standing of the average American is much higher than the average Chinese at $51,000 vs $11,000 PPP GDP. Of course, these numbers get adjusted for cost of living, but it still does NOT put China ahead on an individual level.

Last year, China was declared as the largest economy in the world. However, that is purely on a statistic basis for now. The true effect of that is yet to fully reflect on its populace.

It's just like Nigeria having Africa's largest economy, when we all know the plight of the average Nigerian.

4 Likes

Re: Americans Flocking To China by pat077: 10:44am On Jul 20, 2015
I still prefer the State to china.
Re: Americans Flocking To China by Nobody: 11:10am On Jul 20, 2015
In next ten years China will be the best country in the world. Currently they are the country that has the best modern technology in the world.
Re: Americans Flocking To China by justwise(m): 11:12am On Jul 20, 2015
Rayhut:
In next ten years China will be the best country in the world. Currently they are the country that has the best modern technology in the world.

Cheap and cheerful products

1 Like

Re: Americans Flocking To China by Nobody: 11:22am On Jul 20, 2015
Bogus article undecided

1 Like

Re: Americans Flocking To China by portside(m): 11:36am On Jul 20, 2015
Wow this thread will have my millions likes, moderator please move to front page as soon as possible, I pray and believe one threads like will be created for Nigeria, I would be part of that generation.
Re: Americans Flocking To China by ttmacoy: 11:55am On Jul 20, 2015
Let's stop deceiving ourselves, far more Chinese citizens flock to America than vice versa. The Chinese wealth does not spread all over the country as there is still a very high degree of poverty in China especially outside Beijing, Shanghai etc.

Regarding the number of Americans in China, many of them are expats transferred by American firms or Americans of Cchinese descent compared to the bulk of Chinese migrants to America who are looking for a better life.

Even the rich Chinese are hedging their bets by paying thousands of dollars to give birth in America so their children have American citizenship which means they can file for their parent in the future.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/04/01/china-usa-birth-tourists-business-strong/24887837/

The Chinese economy has grown based on cheap debt funded indirectly by the Chinese government via state owned banks. This has led to asset Bubbles in the stock market (which has lost over 30% recently) , and the real estate market where lots of ghost towns were built to drive economic output but no demand.

For those who don't know, China now has the highest debt to GDP in the world. Lets pray they avoid a crash as that would be bad for the global
economy.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2015/05/09/chinas-total-debt-load-now-over-280-of-gdp/

China's economy is showing similar signs to the Japanese economy where they experienced similar rapid growth only to crash and face a stagnant economy for 20 years.

I have my doubts about Chinese economic data because it is strictly controlled by the government. The media is also under government control as it is still a communist society.

Despite all the well publicised issues facing China amid slowing GDP growth, they still always hit their target growth rate of 7% lol Propaganda.

As a communist country, China needs to show strong economic growth to show the people there are jobs. This is crucial to controlling the different ethnic groups many of whom are rebelling against Chinese authoritarian rule, and it is the economic growth and prospect of Jobs that keeps the thread from unravelling.

Yes China may overtake the US by GDP soon if they avoid a crash, but it will take a long long time if ever for Chinese GDP per capita ($54k v $7k) or quality of life for the general population and not just the rich to match the US.

Even if China GDP is same as US, that means 1.3 billion people have same economic output as c. 300 million. I'll stick with America.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Americans Flocking To China by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 20, 2015
^^^Thank you jare.

Chinese migrate more than any other country. I doubt they will migrate that much if their economy is as good as portrayed in this article.

2 Likes

Re: Americans Flocking To China by justwise(m): 12:52pm On Jul 20, 2015
helpsystem:
Already, its been believed that China or iran will be the next world power. So I am not surprise or amazed by this article. Americans only have media as there only tool now, even weapon they are not the best. Cc lalasticlala I tip this article for frontpage.

What have you been smoking? Please I need some of it.

1 Like

Re: Americans Flocking To China by luthorcorp: 1:25pm On Jul 20, 2015
ita no surprise that the Chinese have really Soared to this height in fact the greatest fear the Americans have now is the the middle east(Asian) will be at a point where the US might loose its veto power in the UN...speaking of which,this was how Japan started,back in the years after ww2, the Japanese products were next to nothing I mean fake was their nickname then but today,,you can hardly describe quality without mentioning Toyota ......likewise the present day Chinese phones compared to the earlier tecno you had....the US on the other hand,who had a foo reserves enough to feed some countries for decades have evicinerated every bunch of it and their rivals the UK are in so much debt now they are blaming it on the population of blacks working and willingly paying their taxes over there.....but it all boils down to the saying that what goes up must surely hit the ground.........
.#for the typo error seekers pls excuse any error I make....cheers
Re: Americans Flocking To China by luthorcorp: 1:36pm On Jul 20, 2015
[quote author=ttmacoy post=36077839]Let's stop deceiving ourselves, far more Chinese citizens flock to America than vice versa. The Chinese wealth does not spread all over the country as there is still a very high degree of poverty in China especially outside Beijing, Shanghai etc.

Regarding the number of Americans in China, many of them are expats transferred by American firms or Americans of Cchinese descent compared to the bulk of Chinese migrants to America who are looking for a better life.

Even the rich Chinese are hedging their bets by paying thousands of dollars to give birth in America so their children have American citizenship which means they can file for their parent in the future.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2015/04/01/china-usa-birth-tourists-business-strong/24887837/

The Chinese economy has grown based on cheap debt funded indirectly by the Chinese government via state owned banks. This has led to asset Bubbles in the stock market (which has lost over 30% recently) , and the real estate market where lots of ghost towns were built to drive economic output but no demand.

For those who don't know, China now has the highest debt to GDP in the world. Lets pray they avoid a crash as that would be bad for the global
economy.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kenrapoza/2015/05/09/chinas-total-debt-load-now-over-280-of-gdp/

China's economy is showing similar signs to the Japanese economy where they experienced similar rapid growth only to crash and face a stagnant economy for 20 years.

I have my doubts about Chinese economic data because it is strictly controlled by the government. The media is also under government control as it is still a communist society.

Despite all the well publicised issues facing China amid slowing GDP growth, they still always hit their target growth rate of 7% lol Propaganda.

As a communist country, China needs to show strong economic growth to show the people there are jobs. This is crucial to controlling the different ethnic groups many of whom are rebelling against Chinese authoritarian rule, and it is the economic growth and prospect of Jobs that keeps the thread from unravelling.

Yes China may overtake the US by GDP soon if they avoid a crash, but it will take a long long time if ever for Chinese GDP per capita ($54k v $7k) or quality of life for the general population and not just the rich to match the US.

Even if China GDP is same as US, that means 1.3 billion people have same economic output as c. 300 million. I'll stick with America. [/quotei applaud your strong opinions of the west but you failed to address the issue of over population which the Chinese will continue to face for centuries,now India whose population is just as massive as China hasn't experienced a reasonable growth for time immemorial now if the US with a zero growth in population could blink at this same erase that the Chinese are just sniffing off technological breakthrough,,then I think they deserve a hero's wellcome.....
Re: Americans Flocking To China by luthorcorp: 1:37pm On Jul 20, 2015
ttmacoy:
Let's stop deceiving ourselves, far more Chinese citizens flock to America than vice versa. The Chinese wealth does not spread all over the country as there is still a very high degree of poverty in China especially outside Beijing, Shanghai etc.

economy.

Even if China GDP is same as US, that means 1.3 billion people have same economic output as c. 300 million. I'll stick with America.
i applaud your strong opinions of the west but you failed to address the issue of over population which the Chinese will continue to face for centuries,now India whose population is just as massive as China hasn't experienced a reasonable growth for time immemorial now if the US with a zero growth in population could blink at this same erase that the Chinese are just sniffing off technological breakthrough,,then I think they deserve a hero's wellcome.....
Re: Americans Flocking To China by ttmacoy: 7:07am On Jul 24, 2015
I don't really get what you are saying i.e. if China's population is a good or bad thing but I do applaud what they have achieved and in discussion with some friends recently I mentioned for Nigeria to emerge as a great nation as we want, we may need to adopt some hardline totalitarian rule as is practiced in China to get rid of the corruption and change the mentality of the people which can help us fix what needs to be fixed once and for all.

Obviously this may not be possibly as that would be going from a democratic country to a dictatorship again but it worked for China and the likes of Singapore.

luthorcorp:
i applaud your strong opinions of the west but you failed to address the issue of over population which the Chinese will continue to face for centuries,now India whose population is just as massive as China hasn't experienced a reasonable growth for time immemorial now if the US with a zero growth in population could blink at this same erase that the Chinese are just sniffing off technological breakthrough,,then I think they deserve a hero's wellcome.....

1 Like

Re: Americans Flocking To China by Menace2Society(m): 8:54pm On Jul 24, 2015
No one travels pass Chinko!for Christ sake Africans watch your population
Re: Americans Flocking To China by idu1(m): 9:10pm On Jul 24, 2015
helpsystem:
do you think iran will be hospitable to foreigners?
Re: Americans Flocking To China by aspirebig: 10:37pm On Jul 24, 2015
Informative topics like this should be hitting the FP.
Re: Americans Flocking To China by free37: 8:55am On Jul 27, 2015
Cool topic.
Re: Americans Flocking To China by Ugosample(m): 4:12pm On Jul 27, 2015
The Chinese have achieved so much. Yet, they are still far away from the promised land. *claps for them *
Re: Americans Flocking To China by alaoeri: 6:42pm On Jul 27, 2015
There is a thick line between having the largest economy & having the higher standard of living.
China having a larger economy than USA - Yes
China having a higher standard of living than USA - No
The article get as e be. undecided
Re: Americans Flocking To China by Nobody: 8:30pm On Jul 27, 2015
See Chinyere Oo..
Re: Americans Flocking To China by cozybunch: 7:17am On Aug 11, 2015
@1stworldview I am not going to write long article on this topic because it can go into academic research and stuffs like that.

1. I disagree a lot on most of the things you wrote while I agree in some like the infrastructure which I will come to latter.

2. According to u.s state department, about 110,000 americans are in china only on expatriate mission. This is update 2015. I do not know where the Chinese survey is from but your best information is u.s state department.

3. Yes president obama sign a 10 years visa agreement with the Chinese. Report show that 1.8 million Chinese came to u.s on a b1/b2, f, j etc visa status and contributed to $21.4 million which helped the American economy last fiscal year. On that bases stats where measured and found improved contribution to u.s economy over the years. On that bases the u.s agreed on the changes with the Chinese.

Note: 10 years is only for b1/b2. On the port of entry a b1 category will only be allowed to be in u.s for 3 months. This will be determined by the cbp officer while a b2 category will have 6 months stamp. While f visas and j and the rest will have 5 years from the u.s consulate office but will have shorter stamp at the port of entry based on the duration of the individual study.

U.S is benefiting more on this deal, base on the money Chinese people spend in the u.s and many of them are investing in the u.s but not in chine.

4. On the infrastructure, chine just started development and so will have newer infrastructure. Remember it is not only chine here with new infrastructure. We have dubai, Singapore even Malaysia. It is expected for this countries to have newer things than the west

5. Chinese development is only in major metropolitan areas but still have a lot of under development in the remote areas where u.s has development in all 50 states.

There many other good things you said about chine that makes them better like cost of leaving you mentioned and medical changes. This may sound fine and good, but remember u.s has a lot of her states that has low cost of leaving too. When we talk of u.s, we are talking of 50 independent, sovereign states that decided to come together and form a nation. I bring out a state like Wyoming, or Nebraska u will be surprised cost of leaving in those state. In u.s there is federal sponsored programs and state too. Even though u.s as a nation still struggle on medical insurance more than most western countries but remember most west are socialist while u.s is capitalism which was the main sole reason of them gaining independence.

Chine still has decades to move up to u.s standard bro

Good luck in ur experiment

5 Likes

Re: Americans Flocking To China by Emmyk(m): 9:02am On Aug 11, 2015
Just passing by...
Re: Americans Flocking To China by grandstar(m): 8:13am On Feb 15, 2019
When the Japanese economy was booming in the 1980's, this was how magazines wrote wonderfully about it and maligned America and it's system. Businessweek even in an early 1990's editorial suggested that American companies embrace the Keiretsu conglomerate system.

Then, Japanese were buying American assets such as prime real estate such as the Rockefeller center in New York and golf courses.

Despite all these, America out of the 120 critical technologies available controlled 43, Japan 34 and the rest of the globe shared the rest.

In 1991 or so, the bubble in Japan burst and the economy has never been the same again. It began suffering from a huge bank bad debt problem that took it over a decade to confront and eliminate.

It also started suffering massive budget deficits that still plagues it till today. It's public debt is over 200% of GDP!

It's also perennially plagued with deflation and under Kobenomics (the Japanese prime Minister name is Kobe) is now expanding money supply to boost inflation. (Deflation is disliked by economists as it discourages investment. Imagine that you intend to buy a plot of land but heard that prices of land in that neighborhood never appreciates but even goes down. Will you buy?)

Things aren't this fantastic in China.

Also, those over praising China must take to mind a Chinese adage that says, "Money hides a thousand imperfections)

Where China gets the money to build it's transport infrastructure has always amazed me. I can understand the road network is financed through tolling. The money for trains and bridges however don't add up. Many are bridges to nowhere.

Also, the trains are heavily subsidized.

Also critics should remember that China's per Capital income is only about a seventh of America's so things are bound to be cheaper. However, many companies are reconsidering China due to rising cost of production. Many Nigerians have left China as being a middleman isn't no longer that lucrative as China's goods aren't as cheap as they once were.

China will one day over take the USA all things being equal.

However, the US is resilient and despite it's shortcomings should never be written away. Naysayers should learn from America and Japan in the 1980's

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (Reply)

Children Of A British Citizen / Are You A Uk Student And Want To Stay Permanently? Here Is Your Chance! / PhD In Canada

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.