Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,312 members, 7,780,755 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:17 PM

The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. (53625 Views)

Diabetic Diet Menus - What To Include In Your Plate / The Nigerian Diabetic Diet & Food - Soup Recipes To Prevent Diabetes / Product Offer # 5: Penta Sure DM For Diabetic Patients (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by otswag(m): 6:47pm On Jul 20, 2015
Diabetes (Diabetes mellitus specifically) is a disease most people are familiar with or have at least heard of. Its a chronic disease where the body finds it difficult to regulate the amount of sugar (glucose) in the blood.

So far, it has no cure however it can be managed with the possibility of the patient living a normal, very long, healthy and happy life. Proper management usually involves life style modifications ( proper diet, regular exercise) and appropriate medications(oral or parenteral).

Everyday during the course of my practice as a medical practitioner, I come across a good number of diabetics, most of whom show serious concern about their diet. Many of them complain that they are tired of eating beans and water yam alone and that people told them to stop eating most of the other meals they are used to. The frequency of this complaint made me realize that there is a huge misconception by the general public about what meal is appropriate and what isn't for a diabetic. I always try to explain what a proper diabetic diet really is and many patients understand but many still get confused; hence I decided to research on it and use this medium to break it down to the simplest format for proper understanding of diabetics and people who have family/friends living with diabetes.

This meal schedule was designed to be both affordable and rewarding for any diabetic patient in the tropics; with emphasis on Nigerian local dishes and an unambiguous quantifying system. Any combination of the appropriate meals indicated below is okay as long as it is a balanced diet. Try not to let d measurements confuse you. The point is just to get an idea of the quantity required per meal.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by jodeci(m): 6:58pm On Jul 20, 2015
otswag:
Diabetes (Diabetes mellitus specifically) is a disease most people are familiar with or have at least heard of. Its a chronic disease where the body finds it difficult to regulate the amount of sugar (glucose) in the blood.

So far, it has no cure however it can be managed with the possibility of the patient living a normal, very long, healthy and happy life. Proper management usually involves life style modifications ( proper diet, regular exercise) and appropriate medications(oral or parenteral).

Everyday during the course of my practice as a medical practitioner, I come across a good number of diabetics, most of whom show serious concern about their diet. Many of them complain that they are tired of eating beans and water yam alone and that people told them to stop eating most of the other meals they are used to. The frequency of this complaint made me realize that there is a huge misconception by the general public about what meal is appropriate and what isn't for a diabetic. I always try to explain what a proper diabetic diet really is and many patients understand but many still get confused; hence I decided to research on it and use this medium to break it down to the simplest format for proper understanding of diabetics and people who have family/friends living with diabetes.

This meal schedule was designed to be both affordable and rewarding for any diabetic patient in the tropics; with emphasis on Nigerian local dishes and an unambiguous quantifying system. Any combination of the appropriate meals indicated below is okay as long as it is a balanced diet. Try not to let d measurements confuse you. The point is just to get an idea of the quantity required per meal.

Please,i m waiting for the menu.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by otswag(m): 7:01pm On Jul 20, 2015
NORMAL DIET
- Bread (2 slices of normal bread or 3 slices of wheat bread or 1/3 of Senegal bread…costs about 120 naira )
-Corn flakes (3/4 cup…dry portion)
-Swallows: Amala, Semo, Semolina – 1 cup ; Wheat, plantain flour 1 1/4cup (1.25 cup)
-Eko (agidi) 1 wrap…costs about 20 naira + 1-2 moimoi (1 wrap + vegetables)
- Guineacorn pap – 1 cup + 1-2 moimoi (1.5-2 cups + milk)
-Unripe plantain – 1 moderate size + vegetable
- Yam 1.5 slices;
-Water yam 2-3 slices;
-Irish potatoes 2-3 pcs moderate size

FOODS THAT CAN BE TAKEN FREELY -Cucumber
-Garden eggs
-All vegetables

FOODS TO BE TAKEN IN MODERATION
- Meat (lean meat)…1-5pcs per week -Chicken or turkey (remove the skin) -Fish (scaly fish…dried or fresh fish, stockfish/okporoko, kote, shawa, mackerel)
-Boiled Eggs…remove yolk(1-2 per week)
- Milk (skimmed milk e.g danoslim or marvel, soyabean powdered milk 2 tablespoon levelled/day.
- Tea (lipton, toptea, Eby’s tea, etc) -Low cholesterol Vegetable oil

FOODS NOT ALLOWED
-Sugar, honey, pies, cake, sausages, Gala & pastries
-Fried foods (akara, dodo, fried meat, fried fish, etc)
- Beverages (milo, bournvita, ovaltine, chocolate drinks, carbonated soft drinks and alcoholic beverages)
-Melon (Egusi) and apon
- meat & fish

CAUTION!!
-No pineapple, sugarcane, mangoes & banana
-No eba, fufu, lafun & iyan
-Do not skip meals!
- Exercise at least 3-5 times a week for 30-45mins.

All these were gotten from my research from nigerian medical articles. Comments, criticisms and contributions are welcome as I still need to learn more about diabetic diets for better managements of patients.

34 Likes 7 Shares

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by jodeci(m): 3:54am On Jul 21, 2015
What of green tea?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by otswag(m): 7:06am On Jul 21, 2015
Yes. Research has shown that both green tea and black tea (Lipton, top tea, e.t.c) are beneficial in diabetes.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by jannzy82: 3:37pm On Jul 21, 2015
How should a diabetic diet look like?

Patients with diabetes are advised not to consume sugar, sugary foods and drinks, white flour and high-fat foods. Each meal should contain vegetables or fruits.

A proper and healthy diet will have a positive impact on:
blood sugar levels and reducing its rise after a meal,
blood pressure (avoiding salt and salty foods will lower your blood pressure),
cholesterol – lower fat levels (cholesterol and triglycerides) in the blood. You can additionally lower your cholesterol levels by following a proper diet,
your BMI (BMI – body mass index. Calculate your own BMI using a BMI calculator). Healthy diet will regulate your body weight. Obese and overweight people are at much higher risk of developing diabetes (type 2) compared to those with a healthy body weight.

If your blood sugar levels are increased for a longer period of time and no action is taken to lower blood sugar levels you may suffer permanent damage. This includes:
Eye damage: retinopathy – eye defects which may lead to formation of cataracts and blindness.
Kidney damage: nephropathy – renal failure over time.
Damage to nervous system: polyneuropathy – tingling, pain, loss of sense of touch and leg pain. Also possible outcomes are impotence and digestion problems.
Damage to cardiovascular system: accelerated atherosclerosis – angina pectoris, heart and brain stroke, vascular occlusions.
Problems with feet: formation of wounds that do not heal and lead to amputation of toes, feet, or whole limb.
Immune system disorders: urinary tract infections, fungal infections, lowered immunity.
http://healthiack.com/diets/diet-for-people-with-diabetes
http://healthiack.com/health/what-is-normal-blood-sugar-level

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by amalder: 7:15pm On Jun 12, 2016
am not diabetic but my dad was, I went for sugar test and is 6.3 i was told to be careful with wat I eat , and only 32

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by jodeci(m): 10:17pm On Jun 12, 2016
amalder:
am not diabetic but my dad was, I went for sugar test and is 6.3 i was told to be careful with wat I eat , and only 32

6.3 aint bad,but be careful of what u eat since your dad had it.
Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by amalder: 9:19pm On Jun 15, 2016
jodeci:

6.3 aint bad,but be careful of what u eat since your dad had it.
thank you, but wat is the normal level
Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by Baroba(m): 12:51am On Jun 16, 2016
amalder:
thank you, but wat is the normal level

4.0 to 6.0 mmol/l fasting ( blood sugar level when you have just woken up in the morning without eating) 7.6mmol/l 2 hrs post meal.. It might go over slightly but once its not too far from the numbers mentioned, you are still OK..

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by amalder: 10:36am On Jun 16, 2016
Baroba:

4.0 to 6.0 mmol/l fasting ( blood sugar level when you have just woken up in the morning without eating) 7.6mmol/l 2 hrs post meal.. It might go over slightly but once its not too far from the numbers mentioned, you are still OK..
thanks a lot
Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by fxpro62: 4:44pm On Jun 24, 2016
Do you wish to be totally free i rely mean totally free from diabetes either type1 or type2 call +2348086746243 OR +2348050735574. You can be given the herbal drug for a three days test for free and you will be surprise the result you will get after the use for just three days, call to know how you can get the herbal drug. I personally once had the type1 but its finally gone, so call today and be free for life.

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by SirBlaq: 2:12pm On Aug 21, 2016
It is amazing how strong your body is. With the right natural ingredients, your body can reverse any type of diabetes. Garlic has been scientifically proven to increase the body's production of insulin by over 20%. Aloe Vera too helps to lower blood sugar. To see more of these natural ingredients, check here http://www.naturalhealthremedies.com.ng/Body%20Health/Lower%20your%20blood%20sugar%20naturally.htm Your type is up to you. Type 1, Type 2 or Type none.
Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by icarenetwork: 8:10am On Sep 02, 2016
Please take note that processed Wheat can 'spark up' sugar in the body. Unfortunately, many of the wheat in the market is processed so they are not ideal food for diabetic patient.

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by Origin(f): 11:47am On Sep 02, 2016
Avoid anything in a satchet. Enter market buy and grind your own wheat. Make your own food so as to control what goes into it. Don't avoid any food but be very moderate and vary your diet. Include veggies and fruit.

Monitor your sugar level regularly. Don't stress and exercise.

9 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by DarkRed(m): 12:12pm On Nov 12, 2016
Under FOODS NOT ALLOWED you still mentioned fish and meat...why na?
Then how bout milk like THREE CROWNS?

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by funso4life(m): 8:22pm On Nov 23, 2016
the best medicine for diabetes is the combination of tre-en-en and fibre both are GNLD products the work very well and will totally cure it ,visit www.gnld.com to read full content about the product ,if u want to place your order on the product and you are living in the southwest region of nigeria call 08144530436
Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by grandfleets: 11:46am On Feb 16, 2017
HE LOST HIS ERECTION!
Yesterday several testimonies was shared with us amongst which i’ll be sharing this notable one.
This man had high blood pressure issues and went to the hospital for medication; the doctor prescribed some drugs for him and few days after using the drugs he realized that he had lost his erection. He was worried because looking at his wife without the capacity to make love to her is like smelling a delicious soup without the ability to taste it. He quickly ran to the hospital disturbing their premises asking to see the doctor though he couldn't explain to them why he wanted to see the doctor. Somehow, they got him into the doctor’s office with the doctor calming him down to explain the issue exactly.
He blurted, you have reduced my blood pressure but taking my power house. Surprisingly, the doctor asked, do you still intend to give birth again? He was shocked; apparently the doctor knew that the drug given to him for HBP will have a negative effect on his manhood and didn't bother to tell him. He immediately told the doctor that he prefers that blood pressure returns than for erection to disappear. So the doctor removed some drugs from the list of drugs and asked him to continue to take the rest with an assurance that erection will return but this man already made up his mind he wont take any of those drugs again.
Several weeks after erection refused to return, he opened up to a friend that gave him nature’s pure marvel-Ruzu Herbal bitters, a herbal mixture with the potency to shake up the body system and flush out all irregularities and abnormally. Few days after, this young man was back on the field with his wife ready to play the champions league again and again and again. All injuries sorted!
This is why i’m sharing this, everybody needs nature’s pure marvel. The potency is not limited to erection but it also extends to high blood pressures, infertility, diabetes, Malaria, typhoid, Menstrual pain and anomaly and many more. If you think you don't need this for health reasons, you will need it for wealth reasons.

Buzz me for your Orders!
Live Heathy, Wealthy & Impactful
WhatsApp: 08078894785
Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by ogedanny: 1:14pm On Mar 16, 2017

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by SuperSuave(m): 7:59am On Mar 22, 2017
See informative thread wasting since 2015, you guys would rather bombard the FP with big brother shiii that doesn't add any value to our lives. Lalasticlala una no try at all angry

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by Dottore: 11:47am On Mar 22, 2017
Ok
Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by Goldenheart(m): 11:48am On Mar 22, 2017
Not fair. embarassed

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by Whoeppme(m): 11:48am On Mar 22, 2017
Brother akpos come let me advice you .

Oya sit down

Take a deep breathe

Now relax

Repeat after me

Exercise and fruit

Don't joke with this two

3 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by rozayx5(m): 11:48am On Mar 22, 2017
SuperSuave:
See informative thread wasting since 2015, you guys would rather bombard the FP with big brother shiii that doesn't add any value to our lives. Lalasticlala una no try at all angry

well your wish has been answered

2 Likes

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by lovingyouhun: 11:50am On Mar 22, 2017
Nice post. Thanks Op
Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by Ralphlauren(m): 11:51am On Mar 22, 2017
icarenetwork:
Please take note that processed Wheat can 'spark up' sugar in the body. Unfortunately, many of the wheat in the market is processed so they are not ideal food for diabetic patient.

FALSE !!!
Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by JamieNaija(m): 11:52am On Mar 22, 2017
True.

In Other news,

KISS DANIEL & SUGARBOY ACCUSED OF SONG THEFT

http://www.jamienaija.com/2017/03/kiss-daniel-sugarboy-accused-of-song.html

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by greatermax77(m): 11:54am On Mar 22, 2017
C24/7, RESTORLIFE & COMPLETE NATURAL SUPPLIMENT FROM AIM GLOBAL WILL CURE THAT DIABETIC WITHIN ONE MONTH.
WHATSUPP 08084132588
Re: The Nigerian Diabetic Diet. by Nobody: 11:55am On Mar 22, 2017
fxpro62:
Do you wish to be totally free i rely mean totally free from diabetes either type1 or type2 call +2348086746243 OR +2348050735574. You can be given the herbal drug for a three days test for free and you will be surprise the result you will get after the use for just three days, call to know how you can get the herbal drug. I personally once had the type1 but its finally gone, so call today and be free for life.

OP ur senior brothers in the profession( herbal doctors) are gradually taking over this thread. Make God help you.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Okada Man Who Took Tramadol In Delta State Falls (Photos) / Coronavirus: Oyo State Records First Positive Case / I'm About To Abort A 4-Month Pregnancy Tomoro, My Babe Is So Scared! Help Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.