Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,893 members, 7,802,876 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:40 AM

Is Wordpress Really The Way - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Wordpress Really The Way (2638 Views)

Is Wordpress The Right Option For You? / Magento Enterprise Edition 2.0: Study Why And The Way You Must Improve (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Wordpress Really The Way by AndySawa: 11:13pm On Jul 20, 2015
I am a Young Programmer with great Passion and Interest for Programming especially the aspect of Web Development. I started programming Fully Last Year Learning Java c# and SQL for database. Then I decided to focus and Major on Web Development with a Goal of setting Up a[b] Large Online Store.[/b]
I Learnt ASP.NET and also PHP as it is part of my school's curriculum and my final project which i spent over three months was to build a Large Ecommerce site, After that i saw my friend did what i took over three months to do just in less than two weeks using wordpress and i was so impressed making me want to change focus into wordpress. I decided to start learning it, I hosted it using my WAMP Server and i've been able to do incredible things with less stress
But i know that wordpress was made with PHP and it is a CMS so i want to ask from Fellow Programmers with Experience
What are the Limitations of [Wordpress
Can a very Large Online store be built with Wordpress and examples [/b]of some
What are the benefits of using [b]Server-Side programming Languages to Wordpress
and Vice-Versa
Why are Wordpress developers treated inferior in Nairaland and Nigeria whent Many Top Sites including that of Forbes CNN e.t.c are built of Wordpress
Dangers of Leaving Server-Side Programming for CMS
And if Wordpress is the way what are the best practices while Learning
THANK YOU
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by fattbabakay(m): 6:36am On Jul 21, 2015
- Wordpress has limited limitations if you know how to manipulate your ways around it
- Wordpress is like a language on tits own
- Wordpress is incredibly powerful and might save you lots of time
- Wordpress makes you lazy
- Wordpress powers 70% of websites on the internet
- Wordpress is not meant for real-time programmers

... MORE COMING ...

1 Like

Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by talk2hb1(m): 8:30am On Jul 21, 2015
@OP
I am an evangelist of WordPress, and other Open Source software. But believe me I aint going to recommend it for my enemy picking a Career in ICT.
Learn to code from scratch as much as possible (To Sharpen your programming Claw) then you are proficient enough in how things are done you may consider going the WordPress and Co ways.
Here is everything in Summary: If you see your future as programmer dont get intimidated by WordPress site, it is meant for Website design wannabe who want some Quickies.

2 Likes

Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by thewebcraft(m): 11:22am On Jul 21, 2015
AndySawa:
I am a Young Programmer with great Passion and Interest for Programming especially the aspect of Web Development. I started programming Fully Last Year Learning Java c# and SQL for database. Then I decided to focus and Major on Web Development with a Goal of setting Up a[b] Large Online Store.[/b]
I Learnt ASP.NET and also PHP as it is part of my school's curriculum and my final project which i spent over three months was to build a Large Ecommerce site, After that i saw my friend did what i took over three months to do just in less than two weeks using wordpress and i was so impressed making me want to change focus into wordpress. I decided to start learning it, I hosted it using my WAMP Server and i've been able to do incredible things with less stress
But i know that wordpress was made with PHP and it is a CMS so i want to ask from Fellow Programmers with Experience
What are the Limitations of [Wordpress
Can a very Large Online store be built with Wordpress and examples [/b]of some
What are the benefits of using [b]Server-Side programming Languages to Wordpress
and Vice-Versa
Why are Wordpress developers treated inferior in Nairaland and Nigeria whent Many Top Sites including that of Forbes CNN e.t.c are built of Wordpress
Dangers of Leaving Server-Side Programming for CMS
And if Wordpress is the way what are the best practices while Learning
THANK YOU

1. Wordpress is built with PHP and You said you know PHP so why are you asking "What are the Limitations of Wordpress" ?

2. Many Top Sites including that of Forbes CNN e.t.c are built of Wordpress - These are not Online store web apps...
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by AndySawa: 10:35pm On Jul 21, 2015
thewebcraft:

1. Wordpress is built with PHP and You said you know PHP so why are you asking "What are the Limitations of Wordpress" ?

2. Many Top Sites including that of Forbes CNN e.t.c are built of Wordpress - These are not Online store web apps...

I said i am a new programmer who just learnt PHP for a project Read Well Man and come Out Clearly with your point if You do have any
Are You Telling me There are no Large online sites built with wordpress?? Research Better pls.
Tanks to Others for the Nice Explanation. Although i need something more explicit
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by thewebcraft(m): 1:44pm On Jul 22, 2015
AndySawa:

I said i am a new programmer who just learnt PHP for a project Read Well Man and come Out Clearly with your point if You do have any
Are You Telling me There are no Large online sites built with wordpress?? Research Better pls.
Tanks to Others for the Nice Explanation. Although i need something more explicit
"Are You Telling me There are no Large online sites built with wordpress?? Research Better pls" lolz.... thats not what I meant.. I've built custom plugins and templates for Wordpress that cant be found anywhere, what am saying is wordpress is not limited "Only a web designer would say that.." when you know php just read the wordpress docs it helps you understand how it was built and how it works so you can build your own plugins for it.

2 Likes

Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by AndySawa: 10:31pm On Jul 22, 2015
Ok Thanks theWebcraft I now Undertsand, Will Reach Out to you
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by Nobody: 4:01am On Jul 24, 2015
I wanted to write an epistle but no need, so in short words Wordpress is good blogs and trash for an application, a CMF will favour you rather than a CMS. I have built tons of things in Wp and I can tell you one thing, WP is bloated and is poorly written, I rather write in Yii2 or Processwire even processwire is not that flexible Yii2 is the best so far. WP is trash

Read my post on it:
https://www.nairaland.com/2265083/why-dumped-wordpress-cms-experience

1 Like

Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by Nobody: 4:08am On Jul 24, 2015
What's bad with Wordpress
1. Tightly coupled and highly inflexible everything must be built around Taxonomies and Post
2. Global Variables everywhere
3. No Proper Unit testing environment
4. Poor templating compared to otherds (Laravel=>Blade, Symfony=>Twig, Yii=>Partials and Layout
5. Slow, Bloated and memory intensive
6. Nothing is autoloaded, resources are loaded regardless of whether it's needed or not
7. No support for PHP 5.6 Features
8. WP doesn't adhere to PSR (This is very important) Laravel,Yii2,Zend Framework 2 does its all about Framework interoperability (using Symfony code in Yii2 Project and vice versa)

Good luck with WordPress

1 Like

Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by Sammyskills(m): 7:13am On Jul 24, 2015
One thing I'll like to point out is that WordPress was built by a community of volunteers. And as such, if you encounter a challenge, there is nothing like a special support team that will fix that for you. The options you'll have will be "to look" at their support forum, if someone has encountered the same problem as yours, then, apply his/her fix to yours. And if not, you'll have to start the topic, and start praying seriously, for someone to chip in some answer.

This problem is not just limited to WordPress alone, other CMS platforms too have this issue.

My candid advice, "Please learn how to program very well from scratch, with that, you'll be able to edit even CMS software"

2 Likes

Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by seunoni34(m): 7:59am On Jul 24, 2015
like a commenter here Said; wordpress and cms is for Web design wannabes. If you want to build real stuff you need to learn to code by yourself.
Good to know people are thinking from my perspective
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by aristosoft(m): 8:24am On Jul 24, 2015
pcguru1:
What's bad with Wordpress
1. Tightly coupled and highly inflexible everything must be built around Taxonomies and Post
2. Global Variables everywhere
3. No Proper Unit testing environment
4. Poor templating compared to otherds (Laravel=>Blade, Symfony=>Twig, Yii=>Partials and Layout
5. Slow, Bloated and memory intensive
6. Nothing is autoloaded, resources are loaded regardless of whether it's needed or not
7. No support for PHP 5.6 Features
8. WP doesn't adhere to PSR (This is very important) Laravel,Yii2,Zend Framework 2 does its all about Framework interoperability (using Symfony code in Yii2 Project and vice versa)

Good luck with WordPress

There's big difference between a designer and a developer. I used to be an enemy of CMS but since stumbling on WordPress, no going back. It's very good for any kind of quick websites, especially news and magazines.

Now, consider the Pros
1. Security: WP community is watching over your site, releases security updates as soon as loopholes are found. Though WP sites are subject of continuous attack, a good programming experience makes you put your own tweaks to everything.
2. Many plugins to do virtually everything, the only issue is that too many plugins affect your site performance.
3. WordPress makes you appreciate programming as the way taxonomies interact. Codex is your good friend.
4. More importantly, continue learning how to develop in any language. But that sense would make you to be able to appreciate and customize every tool you get from WordPress.
5. If 20 percent of all websites online run on WordPress, it would be STUPID to say the cons are less than the Pros.
6. If you want to be a Ninja, WordPress is just the least of the many things you need to know.
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by Nobody: 11:11am On Jul 24, 2015
aristosoft:

There's big difference between a designer and a developer. I used to be an enemy of CMS but since stumbling on WordPress, no going back. It's very good for any kind of quick websites, especially news and magazines.

Now, consider the Pros
1. Security: WP community is watching over your site, releases security updates as soon as loopholes are found. Though WP sites are subject
of continuous attack, a good programming experience makes you put your own tweaks to everything.
Wordpress is highly attacked and also best believe one way or the other you will get hacked eventually
2. Many plugins to do virtually everything, the only issue is that too many plugins affect your site performance.
Too many poorly written plugins use WP_DEBUG and witness the nightmares
3. WordPress makes you appreciate programming as the way taxonomies interact. Codex is your good friend.
Actually Taxonomies are not bad but try building something like any solution in it, however this is a CMS issue which is why i advocate for CMF
4. More importantly, continue learning how to develop in any language. But that sense would make you to be able to appreciate and customize every tool you get from WordPress.
As much as i hate Wordpress i still do Quickteller inetgration for Woocommerce
5. If 20 percent of all websites online run on WordPress, it would be STUPID to say the cons are less than the Pros.
But i have to admit because of the Flaws, it's what makes WP profitable to developers, God knows how many fixes I have been paid to make
6. If you want to be a Ninja, WordPress is just the least of the many things you need to know.

Hopefully I am hoping for the day WordPress revamps and adopts so many new features so till then i guess.
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by aristosoft(m): 12:51am On Jul 25, 2015
pcguru1:

Hopefully I am hoping for the day WordPress revamps and adopts so many new features so till then i guess.

I get all your points but not enough reason not to learn WordPress as He learns Web programming.
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by stanliwise(m): 1:10am On Jul 25, 2015
Hey guys, Wordpress is very good and it's versatile i.e it can help you achieve alot within few minutes.

By the way learning Wordpress isn't a big deal and i see no reason why one should not learn and use it when applicable.
infact it is a norm for web programmer this day and it is no big deal.
There other more sophisticated things to do and i bet you that Wordpress would gladly pull some load off your back.
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by Nobody: 3:15am On Jul 25, 2015
stanliwise:
Hey guys, Wordpress is very good and it's versatile i.e it can help you achieve alot within few minutes.

By the way learning Wordpress isn't a big deal and i see no reason why one should not learn and use it when applicable.
infact it is a norm for web programmer this day and it is no big deal.
There other more sophisticated things to do and i bet you that Wordpress would gladly pull some load off your back.

Nope it adds more load, if it's a simple site yes, try building a complex solution with it and try in something like Processwire, Wordpress bottleneck and frustration will set in. I will repeat Wordpress is terrible for Programmers and the major reason why PHP is ridiculed, maybe am looking at it at a too technical point of view.
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by stanliwise(m): 10:22am On Jul 25, 2015
pcguru1:

Nope it adds more load, if it's a simple site yes, try building a complex solution with it and try in something like Processwire, Wordpress bottleneck and frustration will set in. I will repeat Wordpress is terrible for Programmers and the major reason why PHP is ridiculed, maybe am looking at it at a too technical point of view.
You are missing the point and i think you might be some of those programmer that try to use wordpress for what it is not.
Do not use wordpress for things that it has not be fully integrated for, unless you will need to start building a lot of plugins, themes and the rest.
And for your information wordpress has not to ridicule PHP. wordpress is a tools for a job(the right one) and not an all mighty tools..
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by Nobody: 11:00am On Jul 25, 2015
stanliwise:

You are missing the point and i think you might be some of those programmer that try to use wordpress for what it is not.
Do not use wordpress for things that it has not be fully integrated for, unless you will need to start building a lot of plugins, themes and the rest.
And for your information wordpress has not to ridicule PHP. wordpress is a tools for a job(the right one) and not an all mighty tools..
WordPress is now majorly used for everything outside what it's meant to be for. That's why we have this current issue. WordPress was originated from bbpress (forgotten the name will update when i see it , bbpress is wrong ) which was mainly for blogs and now its just currently that's it's writing classes to try to handle many use cases. Am not here to tell you what to use just letting you know that Wordpress is terrible for developers obviously its superb for clients and users. Maybe you are looking at it from a users point of view.
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by Nobody: 11:04am On Jul 25, 2015
Tell a Java or .Net developer to peek at the code of Symfony or Laravel they will be like "maybe PHP isn't that bad after all" now tell them to look at a WordPress code. No design pattern , no structure , no namespace , nothing just a huge piece of garbage. Read my article on my website I made some more points am not a WordPress hater o just telling them to upgrade this is 2015

2 Likes

Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by AndySawa: 11:32pm On Jul 25, 2015
Thanks all, I've Understood well. Happy Coding All
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by Nobody: 6:33pm On Jul 26, 2015
Una know even mention 'Drupal' at all... sad
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jul 26, 2015
TOmmyJidex:
Una know even mention 'Drupal' at all... sad

Drupal is complex i doubt OP would grasp it easily is Drupal 8 finally out, I intend to jump to Drupal 8 for maintaining company sites , I registered to Acquia while evaluating Drupal and their plans for Drupal is amazing.
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by talk2hb1(m): 9:19am On Jul 27, 2015
pcguru1:

Drupal is complex i doubt OP would grasp it easily is Drupal 8 finally out, I intend to jump to Drupal 8 for maintaining company sites , I registered to Acquia while evaluating Drupal and their plans for Drupal is amazing.
Hmmm...............
Drupal my super Content Management Framework. Believe me I could do anything with it.
People just find it too complex to manage.
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by Sammyskills(m): 10:51am On Jul 28, 2015
talk2hb1:

Hmmm...............
Drupal my super Content Management Framework. Believe me I could do anything with it.
People just find it too complex to manage.

That should be one of your considerations, when designing for clients who would prefer to manage it themselves.
Re: Is Wordpress Really The Way by Nobody: 8:15pm On Jul 28, 2015
smiley

(1) (Reply)

How I Created My Personal Website Ground Up / Which Php Framework Will You Recomend / Where Can I Learn Programming In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.