Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,374 members, 7,800,747 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

Uk Prioritised Nigerian Language In Police Recruitment - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Uk Prioritised Nigerian Language In Police Recruitment (635 Views)

White Mass Choir Do Christmas Carol In Nigerian Language (video) / Learn How To Speak Hausa Language In Two Days (TUTORIALS) / What Nigerian Language Is This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Uk Prioritised Nigerian Language In Police Recruitment by dadaojames(m): 8:47am On Jul 21, 2015
THIS THREAD IS TO APPRECIATE NIGERIA AND NIGERIAN LANGUAGES. PLEASE DON'T TURN IT TO TRIBAL WAR!!!

DONT COMMENT IF YOU ARE TRIBALISTIC. THANKS.

http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/20/all-new-met-police-constables-must-be-able-to-speak-a-second-language-5304857/

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/metropolitan-police-new-police-constables-6104491

And don’t think your GCSE French will get you in either because they are pretty specific about what they want.

The only reference to a 'one-month trial' was made in a quietly-issued press release at 1am today.

Met Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan-Howe has also come under fire for the 14 languages chosen for his list - when by his own admission almost 300 are spoken in London.

Critics questioned why key languages including Gujurati, Mandarin and Romanian aren't on there - but German is.

Andrew Boff, leader of the Conservatives in the London Assembly, described the list as "bizarre".

He told the Mirror: "I just don't understand what this list of languages is supposed to achieve.

"It looks as if it's been made up at random.

"Chinese Mandarin is not on there when we know that statistically they are one of the groups most likely to be victims of crime in London.

"And there are others - where I live, Lithuanian is the most spoken language.

"Why on earth is German on there? I'm sure there are Germans living in London but they are likely to speak good English.

"Not even Germans like speaking German!

"This list clearly needed a bit more thought.

"I support the idea of a police force that looks like London - but I don't think having a second language should be a condition of application.

"Why not make it a general recommendation?"

Met Commissioner Sir Bernard Hogan Howe said: "I am committed to providing a police service which looks and feels more like London.

"We know that almost 300 languages are spoken in the capital. We need to recruit and deploy officers with second languages in areas where those languages are spoken.

"I believe it will help boost confidence, help to solve crime more effectively and support victims and witnesses."

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2015/07/20/all-new-met-police-constables-must-be-able-to-speak-a-second-language-5304857/#ixzz3gVhLUW3Q

Re: Uk Prioritised Nigerian Language In Police Recruitment by pamodulus: 8:51am On Jul 21, 2015
Interesting

(1) (Reply)

Photos Of The Nigerian Carnival In Austria 2015 / Here Are Some Of Weird Age-old Traditions That Will Surprise You. See Photos / Miracle Tree Refuses To Be Uprooted

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.