Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,026 members, 7,807,036 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:47 AM

Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? (9487 Views)

Why Do People "Buy" Google Adsense Accounts? / What You Will Gain From Having A Blog / Why Sme’s Should Have A Digital Marketing Campaign For Their Business (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by PulseWeb: 9:50am On Jul 21, 2015
i have been talking with some clients and 30% of them said that having a website for their business is a waste of money. after i took my time to explain the benefits and advantages of having a website. some agreed and went ahead in having a website while some remained adamant about it. One even said "my business is a physical site thing not an online thing"

share your views!!!

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by shalomm: 9:50am On Jul 21, 2015
cause it is.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by PulseWeb: 9:52am On Jul 21, 2015
This is a comment from somebody who knows the essence of having a website for their business

Velocitron:
Those people are just cheapskates. As stupid as this sounds, I always take a company more seriously if they have an official website, extra points if it's well designed.

hmmm...can u explain y u said that
shalomm:
cause it is.
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by fattbabakay(m): 10:14am On Jul 21, 2015
That only happens when the website is not leading to sales...

7 Likes

Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by Nobody: 10:21am On Jul 21, 2015
Having a website is not a waste of money if only Web Designers, IT Consultants and so-called Web Developers and Gurus will FOR ONCE think about the Business Side of Information Technology. not everything is about the latest code or widget or App. it is about the following .pointedly, how does this website
1: Add Value to my Brand - Get me more customers or spread the word on my Goods and Services (Follow The Money)
2: How does it demonstrate better TOC (Total Cost of Ownership)
3: How does it save me costs

All web designers are interested in is building a fine-faced with all sorts of useless widgets and features and scrolling thingy-bobs that the Company does not need and will never appreciate. all these at some exorbitant maintenance fees when ever the company wants to dot an I or cross a T.

They have made the profession or business of building websites a case of painful value-fraud and annoying arrogant ignorant IT people who call themselves business-men.

Until IT Consultants start thinking like real business-men instead of crafty-shafters.. companies will continue to ignore them or ship the business outside.

my 5cents

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by PulseWeb: 10:24am On Jul 21, 2015
but who is too be blamed for that: the owner or the website designer/programmer ??
fattbabakay:
That only happens when the website is not leading to sales...

to me both parties are to be held responsible. becus after designing a website, marketing should follow. its is the responsibility of the website designer/programmer to suggest marketing ideas while it is the responsibility of the owner to accept and bring out funds for the marketing.

but some times, both parties neglect this. or in some case after the suggestion of marketing, the owner would refuse to bring out extra cash for marketing

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by PulseWeb: 10:28am On Jul 21, 2015
i totally agree with you on these point

voltron:

Until IT Consultants start thinking like real business-men instead of crafty-shafters.. companies will continue to ignore them or ship the business outside.

voltron:

Having a website is not a waste of money if only Web Designers, IT Consultants and so-called Web Developers and Gurus will FOR ONCE think about the Business Side of Information Technology.
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by PulseWeb: 10:46am On Jul 21, 2015
voltron:
not everything is about the latest code or widget or App. it is about the following .pointedly, how does this website
1: Add Value to my Brand - Get me more customers or spread the word on my Goods and Services (Follow The Money)

to answer this, all these mentioned above is the work of the website/developer. he/she should make the other/client to understand the needfull. but i have experienced a situation where i explained the need of SEO and marketing to a client but he turned it down becus of the price range. the cost of a STRONG & EFFECTIVE SEO is about N80,000 to N250,000 (not SEO pugins)and there are various marketing platforms which N30,000 per month can give u are reasonable amount of leads.

but will a client who paid N15,000 to N45,000 be willing to bring out that amount for SEO and Marketing??

the cost of designing a website varies and show not be included the the cost of marketing and SEO
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 21, 2015
PulseWeb:

to answer this, all these mentioned above is the work of the website/developer. he/she should make the other/client to understand the needfull. but i have experienced a situation where i explained the need of SEO and marketing to a client but he turned it down becus of the price range. the cost of a STRONG & EFFECTIVE SEO is about N80,000 to N250,000 (not SEO pugins)and there are various marketing platforms which N30,000 per month can give u are reasonable amount of leads.

but will a client who paid N15,000 to N45,000 be will to bring out that amount for SEO and Marketing??

the cost of designing a website varies and show not be included the the cost of marketing and SEO

Please what is involved in SEO and Marketing - just summarize the key points. I also have doubts that If I am in the same business as Apple better SEO and Marketing can place me in a measurably better position than Apple or my peers
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by Nobody: 11:22am On Jul 21, 2015
PulseWeb:
but who is too be blamed for that: the owner or the website designer/programmer ??

to me both parties are to be held responsible. becus after designing a website, marketing should follow. its is the responsibility of the website designer/programmer to suggest marketing ideas while it is the responsibility of the owner to accept and bring out funds for the marketing.

but some times, both parties neglect this. or in some case after the suggestion of marketing, the owner would refuse to bring out extra cash for marketing

I fail to understand what Web Marketing is. If it works, I need numbers to back it up. That is how business-men reason. no cold hard facts and numbers, no deal
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by PulseWeb: 11:52am On Jul 21, 2015
voltron:

Please what is involved in SEO and Marketing

Most SEO campaigns will involve some blend of the same main elements of your site:

1.Web Site Structure
2.Web Site Content
3.Web Site Format

1 - Web Site Structure
The way your site is built plays a large role in your online success. Taking advantage of structural elements such as page-titles, meta-tags, file-names, heading-tags and other tags will provide huge benefits in terms of search engine rankings.

2 - Web Site Content
We define "content" as everything on a webpage that is viewable and readable by either a visitor and/or a search engine. The arrangement of the content is part of the site's structure and is important in its own right.

3 - Web Site Format
The way in which your site is published to the web can play an important role too. Chiefly this relates to the two main formats, Dynamic sites vs. Static sites.

NOTE: AM NOT AN SEO EXPERT

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by PulseWeb: 11:58am On Jul 21, 2015
voltron:

I fail to understand what Web Marketing is.

web marketing can encompass so many things it is hard to find one company or business that totally understands it all.

1. Search engine optimization (SEO) is the term used to structure a website’s content with the goal of increasing search engine rankings on Google, Bing, Yahoo! and other search engines. A company can accomplish this by updating the page regularly with relevant content and by creating links from other high-ranking websites to your website.

2. Social media optimization (SMO) is a method of gaining website traffic by using social networks such as Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, etc. Maintaining a presence on the most popular social networking platforms will solidify your company’s brand and potentially increase its search engine ranking.

3. Link building is an internet marketing technique used to obtain links from a popular website back to your website by sharing information in exchange for links. Search engines use these links to determine your website’s popularity.

4. Email marketing is another technique used. An internet marketing firm can help you devise effective messages to communicate electronically with specific people.

5. Video marketing is another type of marketing that is relatively new. More and more businesses create and use videos that engage those watching them. Quite often, the result is converting a watcher to a customer.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jul 21, 2015
PulseWeb:

Most SEO campaigns will involve some blend of the same main elements of your site:

1.Web Site Structure
2.Web Site Content
3.Web Site Format

1 - Web Site Structure
The way your site is built plays a large role in your online success. Taking advantage of structural elements such as page-titles, meta-tags, file-names, heading-tags and other tags will provide huge benefits in terms of search engine rankings.

2 - Web Site Content
We define "content" as everything on a webpage that is viewable and readable by either a visitor and/or a search engine. The arrangement of the content is part of the site's structure and is important in its own right.

3 - Web Site Format
The way in which your site is published to the web can play an important role too. Chiefly this relates to the two main formats, Dynamic sites vs. Static sites.

Thanks for the clarification. I am one of those business owners who like to be curious about IT especially on the web. I am "Ijebu" about Technology and i want the maximum benefits grin grin

Anyway.. I once dealt with a Web Consultant who tried to sell me SEO but i was the least interested and even after he explained. I told him i have a strategy for such things namely

1: Know your Primary (Target) Audience = Both Active/Potential Customers
2: Know your Secondary (Ancillary Customers who serve your Active customers in a related or associated way)
3: Have a Budget and Timeline for Marketing i.e Plan-Execute-Measure-Optimize

Methods
1: Social Media to grow following and also integrate into website as feeds (2-way feeds Site-Social Media Accounts) - Tumblr, Facebook, Linkedin, Youtube, Twitter, Instagram.. I even used CNN, BBC threads to do a bit of subtle marketing by mentioning products and company website without the .xyz

2: Blogs.. [/b]pay to have my links posted on popular blogs both Nigerian and Non-Nigerian

[b]3: Leaflets in various Churches
- not too many were pleased because some members in similar businesses.

4: Google SEO Tools - so easy to use and effective.

Not too many business owners can be this resourceful when it comes to the web.. this is where Web Consultants come in.. they simply keep an eye on how they are going to make money than on how they plan to enlighten and convince the Business Owner about the value of what they are proposing

1 Like

Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by PulseWeb: 1:38pm On Jul 21, 2015
am glad u know all this. but Web Consultants doesnt hav to take all the blames. i personally do relate to my clients the need for SEO and marketing but NONE of them have agreed to part in it simply becus of the price range.

[size=20pt]but even without SEO AND MARKETING, a business needs an online identity and portfolio[/size]
voltron:

Not too many business owners can be this resourceful when it comes to the web.. this is where Web Consultants come in.. they simply keep an eye on how they are going to make money than on how they plan to enlighten and convince the Business Owner about the value of what they are proposing

Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jul 21, 2015
PulseWeb:
am glad u know all this. but Web Consultants doesnt hav to take all the blames. i personally do relate to my clients the need for SEO and marketing but NONE of them have agreed to part in it simply becus of the price range.

[size=20pt]but even without SEO AND MARKETING, a business needs an online identity and portfolio[/size]

True.. it all depends on how you sell it. everyone knows that vegetables are good for the body. As a chef if you just jump into the bush and harvest grass and lentils and what have you nots and place them on a plate to serve.. i'll bet you only goats will pay to eat it.. that is why you have Salads of various varieties.. good talk though. We still have a long way to go.. in some places it is a Standard to have a website that meets certain requirements
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by Doskit(m): 4:12pm On Jul 21, 2015
I wonder o
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by xamiel4(m): 4:12pm On Jul 21, 2015
Ask GOOGLE
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by naijainfogalery: 4:13pm On Jul 21, 2015
40% of the businesses in Nigeria will naturally die in the next 5 years why? Because they refuse to embrace technology

4 Likes

Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by charlsecy(m): 4:14pm On Jul 21, 2015
If you are in a big physical market like Alaba, you may not see the need to have a website.

If you were in Onitsha Main Market, for example, can you tell me of what real use a website would be?

1 Like

Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by Nobody: 4:14pm On Jul 21, 2015
because Nigeria is backward embarassed
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by mypals: 4:14pm On Jul 21, 2015
Not at all but depends

Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by kennyman2000(m): 4:16pm On Jul 21, 2015
Because they believe Nigeria isnt matured for online advertisement/presence yet.
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 4:20pm On Jul 21, 2015
Some believe that its when their business boom that they will get a website, very funny.
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by OCTAVO: 4:21pm On Jul 21, 2015
Lolzzzzzz
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 4:22pm On Jul 21, 2015
Hahaha
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by charlsecy(m): 4:24pm On Jul 21, 2015
dwebdesign:
They limit themselves and the possibility of going global. they may also be short sighted.
PulseWeb:
i have been talking with some clients and 30% of them said that having a website for their business is a waste of money. after i took my time to explain the benefits and advantages of having a website.
What are the benefits of a shop in Alaba market having a website? If you want to buy electronics or a shirt at Alaba, have you ever had to browse the shops that sell the articles you want?
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by dwebdesign(m): 4:25pm On Jul 21, 2015
They limit themselves and the possibility of going global. they may also be short sighted.

A website as powerful as it is is a tool for every business, whether physical or not. you don't want to take your business to a greater height easily.

someone who is abroad could hire your company for a job when they come across your website online through search engines or paid ads or even or social media like facebook, twitter and the rest and see that what they need at that time suits them and is what you are offering.

if you don't have a website where even your contact details could be displayed, how will they know your business exist? . we pay millions to google and even to nairaland for adverts, if they do not exist, they can't have the millions they have.

NEED AN EXPERT WEB DEVELOPER / WEBSITE DESIGNER ?

Contact me on :

Mobile: 08133884165

WhatsApp: 08133884165

BBM: 2BB63350

Am a website developer skilled in languages as: HTML/HTML5, CSS/CSS3, PHP, MYSQL, Javascript/Jquery,JqueryMobile,Bootstrap Ajax.
phpquard

CMS (Wordpress, Joomla, Opencart, Magento, Whmcs, Drupal and Pulse Cms, blogger ).
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by damiloladuke: 4:30pm On Jul 21, 2015
bad orientation now

CHECK MY SIGNATURE TO READ MY HILARIOUS PERSONAL DIARY
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by bigv(m): 4:31pm On Jul 21, 2015
That shit can be very annoying as a Web developer. Moreso, when other people with little or no knowledge about Web content development, marketing and branding are willing to do it for them with just a fee to recharge their modem. And here you are giving them a professional cost, cos you know what the shit entails.
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 21, 2015
Those people are just cheapskates. As stupid as this sounds, I always take a company more seriously if they have an official website, extra points if it's well designed.
Re: Why Do People See Having A Website For Their Business A Waste Of Money?? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jul 21, 2015
voltron:
Having a website is not a waste of money if only Web Designers, IT Consultants and so-called Web Developers and Gurus will FOR ONCE think about the Business Side of Information Technology. not everything is about the latest code or widget or App. it is about the following .pointedly, how does this website

All web designers are interested in is building a fine-faced with all sorts of useless widgets and features and scrolling thingy-bobs that the Company does not need and will never appreciate. all these at some exorbitant maintenance fees when ever the company wants to dot an I or cross a T.

They have made the profession or business of building websites a case of painful value-fraud and annoying arrogant ignorant IT people who call themselves business-men.

my 5cents

Good point!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Zoom Initiates Real-time Translation For 12 Languages / How To Post To Your Blog From A Java Phone Or Blackberry / Dubious Price List By Bulk SMS Platform

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.