Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,806 members, 7,802,576 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:36 PM

What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. (3595 Views)

5 Most Important Things You Need To Know About Speaking In Tongue / 5 Benefits Of Praying In Tongues / Speaking In Tongues: How Was Your First Experience? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by michaelwilli(m): 1:52pm On Jul 21, 2015
What exactly do you think speaking in tongues is? Is it the abracadabra our pastors speak or something different? Because e tire me o
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by shadowripper(f): 1:54pm On Jul 21, 2015
I am coming
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by shadowripper(f): 2:05pm On Jul 21, 2015
I am back!

Speaking in tongues is a special kind of a Gift of the Holy Spirit that was once made manifest for the first time after Christ. And not to surprise you, there are three kinds of speaking in tongues...

1. This is the kind that was practiced in the upper room. It is when you speak in a totally different language that is understandable by someone from another place. Like a Japaneese that has never been to Africa or studied any African language speaking Akoko language from Ondo State.
2. This is the kind that was practiced when religion and revival was on fire back in the days. It is still in practice in some other churches that are on fire like some CAC and so. It is when you speak in tongues directly heard from God whereby someone in the congregation or sometimes the person speaking in tongues interprets it cos without interpretation, it does not edify the church.
3. This is the kind that is most practiced in churches today whereby it is claimed that they/we are making groanings that is only understood in the spirit as said in Jude 20, Ephesians 6:18 and most importantly Romans 8:26.

Hope I have been able to help a little
Romans 8:26:
And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness. For example, we don’t know what God wants us to pray for. But the Holy Spirit prays for us with groanings that cannot be expressed in words.

Ephesians 6:18:
Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere

Jude 20: But you, dear friends, must build each other up in your most holy faith, pray in the power of the Holy Spirit,
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by ammyluv2002(f): 2:23pm On Jul 21, 2015
Heavenly Language

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by michaelwilli(m): 2:35pm On Jul 21, 2015
shadowripper:
I am back!

Speaking in tongues is a special kind of a Gift of the Holy Spirit that was once made manifest for the first time after Christ. And not to surprise you, there are three kinds of speaking in tongues...

1. This is the kind that was practiced in the upper room. It is when you speak in a totally different language that is understandable by someone from another place. Like a Japaneese that has never been to Africa or studied any African language speaking Akoko language from Ondo State.
2. This is the kind that was practiced when religion and revival was on fire back in the days. It is still in practice in some other churches that are on fire like some CAC and so. It is when you speak in tongues directly heard from God whereby someone in the congregation or sometimes the person speaking in tongues interprets it cos without interpretation, it does not edify the church.
3. This is the kind that is most practiced in churches today whereby it is claimed that they/we are making groanings that is only understood in the spirit as said in Jude 20, Ephesians 6:18 and most importantly Romans 8:26.

But our pastors keep speaking trash and we follow dem
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by shadowripper(f): 3:10pm On Jul 21, 2015
michaelwilli:

But our pastors keep speaking trash and we follow dem

YOU follow them... And how do you know they are speaking trash?

You dont even seem to understand what I typed earlier..

Bye
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by michaelwilli(m): 3:28pm On Jul 21, 2015
shadowripper:

YOU follow them... And how do you know they are speaking trash?

You dont even seem to understand what I types earlier..

Bye
Oga, u said a language somebody hasnt learnt, is yenke kuribo sontoriboa sentere bondareke a language?

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by taiwo850629: 7:58pm On Jul 21, 2015
I speak in real tongues
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Freksy(m): 8:15pm On Jul 21, 2015
michaelwilli:
What exactly do you think speaking in tongues is? Is it the abracadabra our pastors speak or something different? Because e tire me o

It means telling people about God in the language they understand - an already existing and known language to the people, but previously unknown to the speaker.

Anything other than the above is abracadabra.

1 Like

Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Hiploko(m): 8:50pm On Jul 21, 2015
You have a point. Tongues as was spoken in the bible is like a yoruba man in an upper room praying in Onitsha. And suddenly filled with the spirit, starts speaking ibo language to the amazement of all Onitsha residents. I don't understand where our Nigerian pastors learnt and are forcing their members to be saying sontorobo piraskata maskuria.. What language is that?
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by twosquare(m): 9:57pm On Jul 21, 2015
michaelwilli:
It is a spiritual language that was released by God for Christians to communicate with the angelic realm, His abode and also to make earthly people and Kingdoms foolish.
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 21, 2015
Hiploko:
You have a point. Tongues as was spoken in the bible is like a yoruba man in an upper room praying in Onitsha. And suddenly filled with the spirit, starts speaking ibo language to the amazement of all Onitsha residents. I don't understand where our Nigerian pastors learnt and are forcing their members to be saying sontorobo piraskata maskuria.. What language is that?

i would like you to explain
1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him[b]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

tongues was never meant to be understood by humans.i have explained this subject in many of my threads.

https://www.nairaland.com/2385771/complete-understanding-subject-tongues
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 9:59pm On Jul 21, 2015
shadowripper:
I am back!

there is no such thing as three kinds of speaking with tongues,i dont know where you got that from,
1Co 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him[b]; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.

tongues was never meant to be understood by humans.i have explained this subject in many of my threads.

Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 11:48pm On Jul 21, 2015
michaelwilli:

Speaking in tongues - speaking in diff languages, languages spoken by people.

3 Likes

Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Weah96: 12:13am On Jul 22, 2015
sportsmaster:

there is no such thing as three kinds of speaking with tongues,i dont know where you got that from,

Why do you insist on stopping there? The 14th Chapter of first Corinthians has more than two verses.

Read the whole thing and then form an opinion.
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 12:46am On Jul 22, 2015
Weah96:

Why do you insist on stopping there? The 14th Chapter of first Corinthians has more than two verses.

Read the whole thing and then form an opinion.

if you want a whole series on the subject of tongues,i can do that for you.
i have taught the subject of tongues several times,line upon line,precept upon precept,right from Isaiah's prophecy concerning utterances till Mark16:15-19,to acts2,acts8,acts10,acts19,1cor12,1cor14.
if you are ready,i can take you through all these scriptures.
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Weah96: 2:13am On Jul 22, 2015
sportsmaster:

i have taught the subject of tongues several times,line upon line,precept upon precept,right from Isaiah's prophecy concerning utterances till Mark16:15-19,to acts2,acts8,acts10,acts19,1cor12,1cor14.

So after reading the entire chapter, you would still encourage people to babble unintelligible nonsense?
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Hiploko(m): 6:08am On Jul 22, 2015
Weah96:

So after reading the entire chapter, you would still encourage people to babble unintelligible nonsense?
tell him so that he can explain more. We can't keep just taking a chapter to explain the bible. The reason we have so many doctrines and denominations with varied understanding of the same bible
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Anas09: 7:15am On Jul 22, 2015
Wow. Spiritually lazy Catholics. They claim they are Christians but oppose every Christian Principle.
@ Ops, why not pick your Bible for yourself. Put those scriptures abt Tongues together and try understanding Tongues and their relevance. Funny enough someone came talking three kinds of tongues but explained only one.
The Bible calls Tongues the Language of Angels 1st Cor 13:1
And Spotsman quoted 1Cor14:2 for U. That verse, if explained also tells us that Tongues is the language of God. Sorry if ur Pastor speaks trash, but, I think its to ur carnal mind, because he is not speaking to u. That trash is a mystery to his God.
My pastors don't speak trash. My Bishop Oyedepo and my Winners pastors don't speak Trash. And I do not speak trash.
Listen, tongues can be faked, just like every other thing, but the tongues given to you at the point of Baptism by fire, or Holy ghost Baptism, you can't fake it. We don't speak the same tongues. If you listen to Bishop Oyedepo. ( who I believe you hate so much and I don't care), his tongues sounds like latin. Mine sounds like Arabic. I can't speak his, except I want to fake it. But if u r faking it, then am not sure communication will take place.
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by shadowripper(f): 9:29am On Jul 22, 2015
sportsmaster:

You are not meant to know everything... I just explained the three kinds of tongues... and well experienced... if you like, take it. if you like dont take it. I have experience the three mind you.
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by shadowripper(f): 9:39am On Jul 22, 2015
Anas09:
Wow. Spiritually lazy Catholics. They claim they are Christians but oppose every Christian Principle.
@ Ops, why not pick your Bible for yourself. Put those scriptures abt Tongues together and try understanding Tongues and their relevance. Funny enough someone came talking three kinds of tongues but explained only one.
And Spotsman quoted 1Cor14:2 for U. That verse, if explained also tells us that Tongues is the language of God. Sorry if ur Pastor speaks trash, but, I think its to ur carnal mind, because he is not speaking to u. That trash is a mystery to his God.
My pastors don't speak trash. My Bishop Oyedepo and my Winners pastors don't speak Trash. And I do not speak trash.
Listen, tongues can be faked, just like every other thing, but the tongues given to you at the point of Baptism by fire, or Holy ghost Baptism, you can't fake it. We don't speak the same tongues. If you listen to Bishop Oyedepo. ( who I believe you hate so much and I don't care), his tongues sounds like latin. Mine sounds like Arabic. I can't speak his, except I want to fake it. But if u r faking it, then am not sure communication will take place.

sportsmaster:

Guys,

Speaking in tongue is often referred to as the gift of "tongues." As said earlier, one is stated in Romans 8.26. The passage says the Holy Spirit prays for us when we do not know how to pray, but His intercessory prayer is not audible. Instead it is made "with groanings too deep for words. That is what is mostly practiced today that the holy spirit is praying through us by speaking in tongues.

On the second, Paul was commenting on the gift of speaking a known language refered to as tongues like the ones the Apostles experienced when they were in the upper room, which one does not know. Then you will see that people around them from different parts of the world were claiming that they are speaking in their own mother tongue.

The last one deals with interpretation. In verse thirteen he said those who speak in "tongues" should pray to be given the gift of interpretation so they can share with the congregation what he said. He even said teaching Scripture is 2,000 times more important than speaking in "tongues" (verse 19). Christians who speak in "tongues" should only do so if someone can interpret it and if no one can, he is to remain silent (1 Corinthians 14.27-28). If you really want to experience this part, go to The Apostolic Church. It is experienced every Sunday. Make sure you join them by 8:00 am when the service starts so you wont miss it.

I am a bible teacher. I teach in MFM. I have resources I look into and I also have my bible to put me through... different versions for more understanding...
]
I have been to churches I dont want to start mentioning names for the sole purpose of getting enough experience about christianity. So I am not bluffing and I wont be explaining things here.

If you are a teacher and also a learner, you will take what I have said, act as if you believe it and read on it in the bible, make internet search on it and then see if it aligns with the word of God.

Peace unto you.
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by shadowripper(f): 10:19am On Jul 22, 2015
In keeping on the line of keeping outlines short and simple so others will study certain topics out. I would like to share this little outline that recently I saw in the scripture concerning tongues.

I always wondered if tongues are not needed why did Paul mention them as a spiritual gift that when done properly would bring edification to the church? I discovered that by rightly dividing tongues there were three types of usage of tongues in the New Testament.

I. The Sign Gift of Tongues
Interesting enough the sign gift in every example needed no interpretation all who heard understood what was said.

Acts 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
Acts 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
Acts 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
Acts 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Acts 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.
Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. (though we are not told what the prophecy was the only way they would know it was a prophecy is if they knew what was being said).

II The Spiritual Gift of Tongues
The spiritual gift needs an interpretation and it is connected with interpretation in 1Cor 12:10, all Paul's instructions insist that there be an interpretation. The reason being that the church would be edified and profit from what is being spoken which is the purpose of the gift.

1Cor 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Cor 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
1Co 14:9-11 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air. There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification. Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.
1Cor 14:12, 13 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
1Cor 14:27, 28 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

III The Soulish use of Tongues or the unknown tongue
The this use of tongues has no interpretation. And its use goes against the Lords purpose for giving it.

1Cor 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
1Cor 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself.
1Cor 14:12-14 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1Cor 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
1Cor 14:22, 23 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
1Cor 14:27, 28 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

So in short, the sign gift needs no interpretation, the spiritual gift needs and interpretation and the soulish use has no interpretation.

Clearly those who practice speaking in unknown tongues in the assembly of believers without an interpretation are in disobedience to Gods word. And if there be more than three speaking in tongues in the assembly they are in disobedience to Gods word as well.

Another interesting thing is only the sign gift has Biblical examples. The interpreted tongue has no example of any saint using it (now I could be wrong but I haven't found it yet). And the unknown tongue has no Biblical example all we have is Paul's word saying it was done. Of course it means it more than likely it was done, and it would also mean the spiritual gift and its interpretation was most likely done also.

http://kingjamesbiblebelievers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=249
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 1:56pm On Jul 22, 2015
michaelwilli:

There is no more ridiculous sight than seeing a grown man ...or woman, babbling in the name of speaking in tongues. Speaking in tongues is in fact mis-applied Christian mysticism couched as doctrine, it is a method of conveying a personal wish directly to the subconscious.

When you pray to the divine and you say oh God, i want, say, one million dollars (and by the way you should never, ever use the word “want” in prayer), your conscious mind being very treacherous, immediately betrays you with a variety of reasons why it cannot happen, and your prayer goes unanswered, but if you are able to convey your requirements directly to your subconscious mind, in the proper manner, then your subconscious being one with the Divine, and if it is in your best interest will cause your requirement to manifest, most often immediately.

It does not matter whether you are Christian, Muslim or whatever, the Divine is not concerned with your religion, it is the process that matters, it is the difference between the rich and the poor, the leaders and the easily led, as well as the smart and the stupid.
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by BuddhaPalm(m): 2:23pm On Jul 22, 2015
Sarassin:

There is no more ridiculous sight than seeing a grown man ...or woman, babbling in the name of speaking in tongues. Speaking in tongues is in fact mis-applied Christian mysticism couched as doctrine, it is a method of conveying a personal wish directly to the subconscious.

When you pray to the divine and you say oh God, i want, say, one million dollars (and by the way you should never, ever use the word “want” in prayer), your conscious mind being very treacherous, immediately betrays you with a variety of reasons why it cannot happen, and your prayer goes unanswered, but if you are able to convey your requirements directly to your subconscious mind, in the proper manner, then your subconscious being one with the Divine, and if it is in your best interest will cause your requirement to manifest, most often immediately.

It does not matter whether you are Christian, Muslim or whatever, the Divine is not concerned with your religion, it is the process that matters, it is the difference between the rich and the poor, the leaders and the easily led, as well as the smart and the stupid.

I thank thee father for thou hearest me...

Boss, your boy is loyal.

2 Likes

Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 22, 2015
Weah96:

go and read isaiah's prophecy,isaiah 28:11;
then read mark 16:17 and check the word "NEW" using a greek dictionary.
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 4:40pm On Jul 22, 2015
shadowripper:
In keeping on the line of keeping outlines short and simple so others will study certain topics out. I would like to share this little outline that recently I saw in the scripture concerning tongues.

I always wondered if tongues are not needed why did Paul mention them as a spiritual gift that when done properly would bring edification to the church? I discovered that by rightly dividing tongues there were three types of usage of tongues in the New Testament.

I. The Sign Gift of Tongues
Interesting enough the sign gift in every example needed no interpretation all who heard understood what was said.

Acts 2:6 Now when this was noised abroad, the multitude came together, and were confounded, because that every man heard them speak in his own language.
Acts 2:8 And how hear we every man in our own tongue, wherein we were born?
Acts 2:11 Cretes and Arabians, we do hear them speak in our tongues the wonderful works of God.
Acts 10:44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.
Acts 10:46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God.
Acts 19:6 And when Paul had laid his hands upon them, the Holy Ghost came on them; and they spake with tongues, and prophesied. (though we are not told what the prophecy was the only way they would know it was a prophecy is if they knew what was being said).

II The Spiritual Gift of Tongues
The spiritual gift needs an interpretation and it is connected with interpretation in 1Cor 12:10, all Paul's instructions insist that there be an interpretation. The reason being that the church would be edified and profit from what is being spoken which is the purpose of the gift.

1Cor 12:10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:
1Cor 14:5 I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
1Co 14:9-11 So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air. There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification. Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me.
1Cor 14:12, 13 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret.
1Cor 14:27, 28 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret.

III The Soulish use of Tongues or the unknown tongue
The this use of tongues has no interpretation. And its use goes against the Lords purpose for giving it.

1Cor 14:2 For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.
1Cor 14:4 He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself.
1Cor 14:12-14 Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church. Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.
1Cor 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.
1Cor 14:22, 23 Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad?
1Cor 14:27, 28 If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God.

So in short, the sign gift needs no interpretation, the spiritual gift needs and interpretation and the soulish use has no interpretation.

Clearly those who practice speaking in unknown tongues in the assembly of believers without an interpretation are in disobedience to Gods word. And if there be more than three speaking in tongues in the assembly they are in disobedience to Gods word as well.

Another interesting thing is only the sign gift has Biblical examples. The interpreted tongue has no example of any saint using it (now I could be wrong but I haven't found it yet). And the unknown tongue has no Biblical example all we have is Paul's word saying it was done. Of course it means it more than likely it was done, and it would also mean the spiritual gift and its interpretation was most likely done also.

http://kingjamesbiblebelievers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=249
Paul clearly taught MINISTRY GIFTS in 1cor12,
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 4:43pm On Jul 22, 2015
shadowripper:

Guys,

Speaking in tongue is often referred to as the gift of "tongues." As said earlier, one is stated in Romans 8.26. The passage says the Holy Spirit prays for us when we do not know how to pray, but His intercessory prayer is not audible. Instead it is made "with groanings too deep for words. That is what is mostly practiced today that the holy spirit is praying through us by speaking in tongues.

On the second, Paul was commenting on the gift of speaking a known language refered to as tongues like the ones the Apostles experienced when they were in the upper room, which one does not know. Then you will see that people around them from different parts of the world were claiming that they are speaking in their own mother tongue.

The last one deals with interpretation. In verse thirteen he said those who speak in "tongues" should pray to be given the gift of interpretation so they can share with the congregation what he said. He even said teaching Scripture is 2,000 times more important than speaking in "tongues" (verse 19). Christians who speak in "tongues" should only do so if someone can interpret it and if no one can, he is to remain silent (1 Corinthians 14.27-28). If you really want to experience this part, go to The Apostolic Church. It is experienced every Sunday. Make sure you join them by 8:00 am when the service starts so you wont miss it.

I am a bible teacher. I teach in MFM. I have resources I look into and I also have my bible to put me through... different versions for more understanding...
]
I have been to churches I dont want to start mentioning names for the sole purpose of getting enough experience about christianity. So I am not bluffing and I wont be explaining things here.

If you are a teacher and also a learner, you will take what I have said, act as if you believe it and read on it in the bible, make internet search on it and then see if it aligns with the word of God.

Peace unto you.

judging from your posts,you seem to exhort experiences above the written word
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by Nobody: 4:54pm On Jul 22, 2015
lemme start explaining.
firstly we have to know the assembly that constituted the Upper room.

Read this post line upon line,precept upon precept and with patience

acts 2:5
And there were dwelling at Jerusalem jews,devout men,out of every nation under heaven.

Lemme explain this verse
Many of us have assumed it was a "United Nations' gathering".Different nations under the heaven came to Jerusalem. But it is wrong
see vs5 The assembly constituted JEWS,who came from every nation under the earth i.e. Jews from diaspora.
The feast of Pentecost was for Jews, So they usually will come from thier different locations to celebrate the feast of Pentecost.
Even Apostle Paul travelled the same way once:

Acts20:16 For Paul had determined to sail by Ephesus,because he would not spend the time in Asia:for he hasted,if it were possible for him,to be at Jerusalem the day of Pentecost.

Paul lived in Asia,but came to Jerusalem at Pentecost.This exemplifies the men from every nation above; JEWS WHO LIVED IN DIFFERENT NATIONS.

Proselytes are converts to the Jewish nation.So they will learn the language in this conversion because they were the strangers who sought to nationalize..
See the links below
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proselyte

www.google.com.ng/search?q=proselyte&client=ms-opera-mini&channel=new&gws_rd=cr&ei=04-BVbvxGqTIyAPL1oDYCQ

Lemme deal with language..
read line upon line,precept upon precept.read with patience.read inbtwn lines

Acts2:4 and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost and began to Speak with other tongues,as the spirit gave them utterance.

The word "other" used in this verse,when i checked the greek,
The word "other" is the greek word "heteros".
"heteros" means "of uncertain affinity;strange"

Also from Isaiah's prophecy
Isaiah28:11- "for with stammering lips and another tongue will he speak to this people"

The word stammering used here in the Hebrew means UNINTELLIGIBLE,
while the word another means strange and different

Mark 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe;In my name shall they cast out devils;they shall speak with NEW tongues.
When i checked the word "new"in the Greek. The word is KAINOS
"Kainos" means according to
1)Strong dictionaries
"of Uncertain affinity:new(especially in freshness)"
2)Thayer dictionaries
"fresh,unused,a new kind,unheard of"
3)Wordstudy dictionaries
"Newly made"
Note: NO ACCOUNT ever refer to tongues as some other language belonging to another culture different from the speak! Paul settles this with a well laid out explanation.

1cor14:2:- For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaks not unto men,but unto God:FOR NO MAN UNDERSTANDS HIM/b];howbeit in the spirit he speaks mysteries.

Something else to note
Acts2:13:- Other mocking said,
[b] These men are full of new wine..
lets analyse this statement.
Other said those people speaking with tongues are drunk(full of wine)..
Lets do simple analysis.
In which of these scenarios will someone say you are drunk.
1)You are speaking another man's language fluently or
2)You are just speaking gibberish,unconstructed statements,unintelligible words.
Obviously the answer is Option 2. Because wine cannot make you speak another man's language with respect to the Observers comment in this verse.
SELAH

Remember,Jesus,Paul,Moses they all inferred something.
Before anything(word,judgement) can be established there has to be at least 2-3 witnesses..

No account ever recorded that tongues were understood by men.
There are several accounts that records that tongues cannot be understand
1cor14:-
infact these whole chapter kept emphasizing that tongues cannot be understood except there be an interpretation.
mark16:17 the word "new" means strange,unheard off,
isaiah 28:11 "stammering" means unintelligible,another means strange and different.
better study well before you start making errors..
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by nynbrada: 8:10pm On Jul 22, 2015
Anas09:
@ Ops, why not pick your Bible for yourself. Put those scriptures abt Tongues together and try understanding Tongues and their relevance.Funny enough someone came talking three kinds of tongues but explained only one.

God bless you.
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by michaelwilli(m): 8:18pm On Jul 22, 2015
To those who say there is no account of men understanding tongues, is acts chapter 2 missing from your bible?
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by chinnyonwu(m): 9:44pm On Jul 22, 2015
Its simply saying any gibberish that comes to your head as rhythmically as possible
Re: What Exactly Is Speaking In Tongues. by David0(m): 10:04pm On Jul 22, 2015
sportsmaster:

Hmmm...funny, so that even the speaker doesn't understand what he himself speaks.

My pastor has told us many times during prayer sessions to start praying in tongue. And I ask myself, y shud I be saying things dat I personally don't understand.
I've always believed speaking in tongues has to do wit language, a known language. God gave some gift of speaking in tongues and some the gift of interpretation of tongues.

My question is simply, what is the essence of the speaking in tongues?
Is it for us to communicate wt God?
I tot its to help us win souls by speaking in languages that people will understand. Such dat when u move from Nigeria to Japan, u won't have problems preaching the gospel in Japanese even tho u had no prior knowledge of how to speak japanese.

Anyways...Act 2 is enof for me.

(1) (2) (Reply)

‘I Have No Wife, Earthly Children, I’m The Last Maharaji Alive’ - Guru Maharaji / Catholics, Do U Have This In Your Bible? / Islamic Cleric Says Heaven is All about Sex, Men get 72 Virgins, Women Gets...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.