Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,653 members, 7,801,903 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:59 AM

The People Of Opobo–nkoro - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The People Of Opobo–nkoro (8193 Views)

"INEC Officials Caught In Opobo Writing Results For APC"- UnitedRiversReporters / Photos: Opopo Nkoro PDP Party Chairman Receives Over 300 APC Decampes Yesterday. / Even Senator Magnus Abe Knows That Opobo/nkoro People Are Igbo People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 21, 2015
Opobo–Nkoro (also spelled Opobo/Nkoro) is a Local Government Area in Rivers State, Nigeria. It is part of the Andoni/Opobo/nkoro constituency of
the Nigerian National Assembly delegation from Rivers. The capital is Opobo Town. The Opobo–Nkoro people are mainly farmers and
fishermen.They are of Igbo extraction. They speak
Igbo language. Just like the neighbouring Bonny,
founded by Ndokis of Azuogu, slaves from the
hinterland transformed the demography of the
area when the Transatlantic Slave Trade was abolished. Ijaws who came in as porters also
settled there and the Igbo language was adopted.
Although, there are no indigenous Ijaw
communities there, most Ijaw migrants and porters
have fully been integrated into the original
indigenous Igbo communities. Pro-Natura International Nigeria has been assisting in community-led development in the LGA.
Source:www.wikipedia.org/wiki/opobo-nkoro

I wonder why there are alot of Igbo communities in Rivers state.i never new the Opobo-Nkoro people are of Igbo extraction

6 Likes

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by mrvitalis(m): 11:10pm On Jul 21, 2015
Opobo's are not igbos please. ... . Both them and bonney just use igbo as a lingua franca. ... There tribe are a descendent of the Iraq trib called igbani... . But they lost there language long ago but now are trying to bring it bacj

3 Likes

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Nobody: 11:15pm On Jul 21, 2015
Leave Nkoro out of it, they are Ijaw people related to Wakirike (Okrika) though okrika don't hear them when they speak,they (Nkoro) understand okrika perfectly

1 Like

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by kettykin: 11:16pm On Jul 21, 2015
mrvitalis:
Opobo's are not igbos please. ... . Both them and bonney just use igbo as a lingua franca. ... There tribe are a descendent of the Iraq trib called igbani... . But they lost there language long ago but now are trying to bring it bacj
Tell that to historians, opobo was wholly and totally founded by jaja, opobo originally belonged to Ikot Abasi

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Nobody: 11:16pm On Jul 21, 2015
mrvitalis:
wonderful! I heard similar thing with the Yorubas i heard they migrated from India and adopted Yoruba language from the invicible Oduduwa

17 Likes 4 Shares

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by zendy: 11:18pm On Jul 21, 2015
Everybody knows that Opobo was founded by an Igbo man, king Jaja of Opobo. I recently found out that they speak Igbo but I cant say with 100% certainty if they are Igbos.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Nobody: 11:23pm On Jul 21, 2015
You can't say that Opobo people are not Igbos?The Igbo families in Opobo pay allegiance to the Igbo nation even the Amanyanabo King Dandeson sees himself as an Igbo man and associates the Igbo elites, while the Igbani pay allegiance to Bonny people, overall they see and cherish Amaigbo people where Jaja comes from, Amaigbo is to Opobo what mecca is to muslims
mrvitalis:

11 Likes

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Duru1(m): 11:36pm On Jul 21, 2015
mrvitalis:

Opobo is not the correct name of the place. Opobo is Anglicized form of the correct name. Nigerians are very apathetic to historical facts due to idiotic self denial.

6 Likes

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Nobody: 11:46pm On Jul 21, 2015
Hmmm interesting

1 Like

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Nobody: 11:51pm On Jul 21, 2015
If an Opobo man does not bear any of these surnames:

Jaja
Peterside
Dappa
Epelle
Pepple
Uranta
Cookey
Strong face
Ogolo

then he isn't Opobo.

11 Likes

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by kingslly(m): 12:24am On Jul 22, 2015
DikeOha882:
You can't say that Opobo people are not Igbos?The Igbo families in Opobo pay allegiance to the Igbo nation even the Amanyanabo King Dandeson sees himself as an Igbo man and associates the Igbo elites, while the Igbani pay allegiance to Bonny people, overall they see and cherish Amaigbo people where Jaja comes from, Amaigbo is to Opobo what mecca is to muslims
yeah dats true, the descendants of Jaja still visit the Igbo of Amaigbo during festive periods and they even spend days in Amaigbo before going back ... I knw dis because Amaigbo is Ma Maternal Home

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by dotna(m): 11:40pm On Oct 22, 2016
MyPWisINCORRECT:
If an Opobo man does not bear any of these surnames:

Jaja
Peterside
Dappa
Epelle
Pepple
Uranta
Cookey
Strong face
Ogolo

then he isn't Opobo.

Wow. I dey learn o. cheesy

1 Like

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Nobody: 12:19am On Oct 23, 2016
Claims and counter-claims!

Nigerians with ethnicity!
Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Sealeddeal(m): 6:43am On Oct 23, 2016
Op, stop using false source and false information to confuse people. Opobo is a combination of Igbos and Ijaws butvi think they speak Ijaw more. But then, those things are unnecessary.

1 Like

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by PFRB: 7:32am On Oct 23, 2016
Bonny is the English man's corruption of the name UBANI. If you know what UBANI is, then no argument.

2 Likes

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Unimaginable123: 7:42am On Oct 23, 2016
Op, God bless you.
I have a colleague who is from opobo. It's igbo me and him speak always.
That's why I'm amazed when they say there are no indigenous igbos in rivers.

5 Likes

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Unimaginable123: 7:46am On Oct 23, 2016
zendy:
Everybody knows that Opobo was founded by an Igbo man, king Jaja of Opobo. I recently found out that they speak Igbo but I cant say with 100% certainty if they are Igbos.
they are 100%. Jaja of opobo was a native of a town in present day Imo State

5 Likes

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by senatordave1(m): 7:53am On Oct 23, 2016
Most of them are ijaws not ibos oh.dakuku peterside is from there.is he ibo?

1 Like

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by senatordave1(m): 7:54am On Oct 23, 2016
Most of them are ijaws not ibos.dakuku peterside is from there. is he ibo?

1 Like

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by PFRB: 8:24am On Oct 23, 2016
senatordave1:
Most of them are ijaws not ibos.dakuku peterside is from there. is he ibo?

We Are Igbos- Dakuku Peterside - Politics - Nigeria - Nairaland

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiVz-KYsvDPAhXrO5oKHUHHByYQFggiMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nairaland.com%2F2691100%2Figbos-dakuku-peterside&usg=AFQjCNE-5nbWxtfmalvTBtisk8tTKqyC6Q&bvm=bv.136593572,d.bGs

3 Likes

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by joeprince23(m): 9:16am On Oct 23, 2016
senatordave1:
Most of them are ijaws not ibos oh.dakuku peterside is from there.is he ibo?
you are certainly not from here, most ijaws know that peterside is an ibo in "ijo-land", he himself resorted to speaking and claiming igbo in many of his rallies in portharcourt and other igboid communities. ND: uranta is an ndoki name which i myself as an ndoki nwa asa and many others here in obigbo bear, many ndokis in abia and rivers states has uranta as surnames including my family

3 Likes

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by chydon24: 9:54am On Oct 23, 2016
King Jaja of opobo migrated from amaigbo in the present day imo state & founded opobo kingdom. The fact still remains that both have the same culture & language. Igbo's are found in so many places that marvels some other tribes in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by anibi9674: 11:55am On Oct 23, 2016
The opobo's are a factional group that broke out from Bonny. They are 100% ijaws and 0% Igbo. Although the founder of opobo kingdom is an Igbo man but his subject's are ijaws. The Igbo language the people of opobo and bonny speak is as a result of their settling in obibo when they were migrating from Wilberforce island amasoma in bayelsa. They settled at obibo (IMO river) that was were they learnt the Igbo language.

4 Likes

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Nobody: 7:53am On Dec 11, 2016
joeprince23:
you are certainly not from here, most ijaws know that peterside is an ibo in "ijo-land", he himself resorted to speaking and claiming igbo in many of his rallies in portharcourt and other igboid communities. ND: uranta is an ndoki name which i myself as an ndoki nwa asa and many others here in obigbo bear, many ndokis in abia and rivers states has uranta as surnames including my family
Uranta, epelle, opusunju are all ibani names, dey have no meaning in igbo language

1 Like

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Nobody: 7:55am On Dec 11, 2016
chydon24:
King Jaja of opobo migrated from amaigbo in the present day imo state & founded opobo kingdom. The fact still remains that both have the same culture & language. Igbo's are found in so many places that marvels some other tribes in Nigeria.
He didn't migrate from amaigbo, he was sold by his people and adopted by ibani

4 Likes

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Nobody: 7:58am On Dec 11, 2016
PFRB:

We Are Igbos- Dakuku Peterside - Politics - Nigeria - Nairaland

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiVz-KYsvDPAhXrO5oKHUHHByYQFggiMAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nairaland.com%2F2691100%2Figbos-dakuku-peterside&usg=AFQjCNE-5nbWxtfmalvTBtisk8tTKqyC6Q&bvm=bv.136593572,d.bGs
Which day will dis illiterate igbos quote a valid source, you said he spoke on national tv yet no video or recording sef, angry hell is the final destination for all these liers, Petersides family that still visit there original home in Bonny,

2 Likes

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by timsTNA: 8:42am On Dec 11, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Which day will dis illiterate igbos quote a valid source, you said he spoke on national tv yet no video or recording sef, angry hell is the final destination for all these liers, Petersides family that still visit there original home in Bonny,

Your mother is an illiterate and your father is a drunk, thats why your life is this useless with no manners

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Nobody: 8:55am On Dec 11, 2016
timsTNA:

Your mother is an illiterate and your father is a drunk, thats why your life is this useless with no manners
Go back to the pit from whence you came,

1 Like

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by timsTNA: 6:21pm On Dec 11, 2016
AjiereTuwo:
[s]
Go back to the pit from whence you came, [/s]

Tell that to the lousy mother that bore your from her stinking pvssy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Nobody: 6:46pm On Dec 11, 2016
timsTNA:

Tell that to the lousy mother that bore your from he stinking pvssy
Never knew orphanages had internet access

1 Like

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by Nobody: 6:46pm On Dec 11, 2016
timsTNA:

Tell that to the lousy mother that bore your from he stinking pvssy
Hahahaha e pain am

1 Like

Re: The People Of Opobo–nkoro by timsTNA: 6:47pm On Dec 11, 2016
AjiereTuwo:

Hahahaha e pain am

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Photos: Ex-supereagle Vs Nollywood Actors Match Held For Ihedioha / Top 5 Richest States In Nigeria / Boko Haram Desperately Seeking Relevance —buratai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.