Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,307 members, 7,808,041 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:27 AM

Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview (29365 Views)

Full Transcript Of Goodluck Jonathan's Speech At PDP Convention / Everything You Didn't Notice In Buhari's Latest Photos - Ynaija / A Pastor A "Netanyahu" & A Former Editor: Meet Buhari's Latest Appointees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Dotng: 3:43pm On Jul 22, 2015
Full Transcript of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview

On Tuesday, President Muhammadu Buhari was interviewed by CNN’s Christiane Amanpour. Read full transcript of the interview below:

AMANPOUR: President Buhari, welcome back to the program.
BUHARI: Thank you.

AMANPOUR: Mr. President, you have asked the United States to help you in the fight against Boko Haram. What exactly did you ask in this regard? What do you need? And what answer did the president, Obama, give you?
BUHARI: United States, leader of the G7, promised to do what they can to help Nigeria. So we have brought our requirements in terms of training, equipping and intelligence gathering for Nigeria to be able to fight Boko Haram.

AMANPOUR: And you mentioned the economy and the falling in oil prices over the last many months. How are you going to deal with that? Because that is really what your people want.
BUHARI: My people firstly, I believe, they want the security (ph) in the country to be stabilized so that normal life, both in the southern part of the country, where the militants are still sabotaging oil installations and kidnapping people and demanding ransom, and in the northeast of the country, where Boko Haram is still active. This is the military occupation of Nigeria now and is the reality of (INAUDIBLE). Nothing will work until the country is secure.

AMANPOUR: But despite your vows to tackle Boko Haram, there are reports in your own country that there have been at least 400 deaths by that group since you became president. Added to that, Amnesty International reports that your military has totally lost the credibility and trust of the people because of the systematic human rights abuses, the killing of some 8,000 people. How do you expect your military to be able to go against Boko Haram, to get the trust of the people instead of being a platform for Boko Haram’s grievances?
BUHARI: Well, I have just mentioned that, under Lake Chad Basin Commission, we have agreed to form a multinational joint task force. So whatever happened before that decision was taken, we have to allow further investigation to verify the question of human rights abuse. And with that, I’m sure you must have known the decision taken by this government, the federal government of Nigeria, in changing the military command.

AMANPOUR: What about the girls, the famous Chibok girls, the 200 or so who were abducted so long ago? Yet again there’s been a suggestion that the Boko Haram captors may trade them, may seek to trade them for incarcerated inmates, who they want to get out. Is your government willing to trade those girls in that regard?
BUHARI: We have to be very careful about the credibility of various Boko Haram leaderships coming up and declaring that they can deliver. We have to be very careful indeed. And we are taking our time because we want to bring them safe back to their parents and to their school.

AMANPOUR: So are you in principle against or would you consider negotiating with Boko Haram if you can verify the credibility of those who approach you?
BUHARI: I cannot be (INAUDIBLE). I told you our main objective as a government is to secure those girls safe and sound back to their schools and rehabilitated them to go back to normal life. So if we are convinced that the leadership has presented itself can deliver those girls, (INAUDIBLE) who will be (INAUDIBLE) negotiate what they want.

http://www.nigerianbulletin.com/threads/full-transcript-of-president-buharis-latest-cnn-interview.114859/

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Dotng: 3:44pm On Jul 22, 2015
CONT'D
Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by ellechrystal(f): 3:45pm On Jul 22, 2015
Hmm

1 Like

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Dotng: 3:45pm On Jul 22, 2015
CONT'D

AMANPOUR: Let me ask you because, look, you came to power on a platform that you would do better than the previous president, in all regards: security, corruption, economy, et cetera. But there have been hundreds of people killed since you’ve become president. How can you do any better?
BUHARI: I think I have — I can be held to my promises for the next three and three-quarter years ahead of me. And I think (INAUDIBLE) also is too early for anybody to pass judgment on my campaign promises.

AMANPOUR: What about your campaign promise to root out corruption? If they turned out that some of the guilty ones were members of your own party or your own associates, would you crack down on them, too?
BUHARI: I just have to. There isn’t going to be any party member or any personality that can escape justice.

AMANPOUR: Mr. President, are you disappointed that President Obama is yet again not going to Nigeria, the biggest and most economically powerful country in Africa?
BUHARI: Well, I wouldn’t say I was disappointed. But how I wished he will change his mind and go to Nigeria.

AMANPOUR: Did you ask him? Did he say he would?
BUHARI: Well, I will ask him. I will send a formal invitation.

AMANPOUR: So finally, let me ask you about a previous African leader, a former African leader, the former dictator of Chad, Hissene Habre, who is being tried — or at least they’re trying to try him — in Senegal. And he’s refusing to cooperate. Do you support that process of trying an accused African leader in Africa rather than at the International Criminal Court?
BUHARI: Justice is justice, whether it’s done in Africa or elsewhere in the world. The important thing is let justice be done, whatever evidence the prosecution has in Senegal. I think they should — you should proceed to make it available to the world and prosecute him according to international law on human rights.

AMANPOUR: So you — so you support that process?
BUHARI: I support any process that is based on justice.

AMANPOUR: President Muhammadu Buhari of Nigeria, thank you for joining me from Washington today.
BUHARI: Thank you very much.

Culled from Today Internet Newspaper

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Chamber10(m): 3:46pm On Jul 22, 2015
Dotng:
Full Transcript of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview

AMANPOUR: So are you in principle against or would you consider negotiating with Boko Haram if you can verify the credibility of those who approach you?
BUHARI: I cannot be (INAUDIBLE). I told you our main objective as a government is to secure those girls safe and sound back to their schools and rehabilitated them to go back to normal life. So if we are convinced that the leadership has presented itself can deliver those girls, (INAUDIBLE) who will be (INAUDIBLE) negotiate what they want.

http://www.nigerianbulletin.com/threads/full-transcript-of-president-buharis-latest-cnn-interview.114859/

"I will not grant amnesty to Boko Haram"
~Buhari at Chatham House
------------------
"We will crush Bokoharam in two months"
~APC during campaign
---------------------
"Buhari rules out Boko Haram talks."
~BBC
-----------------
"I will lead the fight against Bokoharam from the front"
~Buhari during campaign
-------------------
"I will negotiate with genuine Boko Haram and give them what they want"
~Buhari to Christiana Amapour on CNN

Hello Mr President Which one do I believe shocked shocked

67 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by importexpert(m): 3:50pm On Jul 22, 2015
my able president always making nigeria proud

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by mrlaw93(m): 3:51pm On Jul 22, 2015
Like if you think he nailed the interview. Share if he failed woefully

176 Likes 30 Shares

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 22, 2015
The president really spoke well. So many 'inaudibles' by the way.

I'm convinced beyond all doubt that a better Nigeria is on the way, under PMB- the Nigeria we all fantasise.

Long live The General, long live Nigeria.

16 Likes

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jul 22, 2015
Ok

2 Likes

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by kobonaire(m): 3:52pm On Jul 22, 2015
Za Pederal Refublic op Najaayriya

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by kazmanbanjoko(m): 3:53pm On Jul 22, 2015
okay I don see am.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Drgleave: 3:53pm On Jul 22, 2015
Beware! whats seen cannot be unseen!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by WukedP(m): 3:53pm On Jul 22, 2015
Buhari changing words every now and again different statement for same question

6 Likes

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by tayebest(m): 3:53pm On Jul 22, 2015
k
Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by benikad(m): 3:54pm On Jul 22, 2015
ok thanks
Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Tee999: 3:54pm On Jul 22, 2015
Well done Sir

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jul 22, 2015
Amanpour sef....I raised my cap saluting her Journalism Prowess cool

Her endless interviews from inception go don pass 5k. **Thinking** grin

Think Amanpour, think CNN! cool

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Nobody: 3:54pm On Jul 22, 2015
I strongly believe in this government- something in me does.

About how changing his comments have been about BH, it's but normal.

Before playing Barcelona, Mourinho promised the world to employ the 4-3-3 formation. When the match started, he switched to 5-4-1.

Book Haram is a force to be reckoned with so no one better lay a finger on him.

Have you noticed Buhari's presence? I have.

Let him do whatever he needs to do to wipe corruption; whether formal or informal. ALL WE NEED IS CHANGE!

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by dunkem21(m): 3:55pm On Jul 22, 2015
grin
Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by efilefun(m): 3:55pm On Jul 22, 2015
Would have loved hearing GEJ answer that last question and watch him spew gibberish

God bless PMB
God bless VPYO
God bless Nigeria

Regiblinkz:
we are doomed

Yea surely you and your fellow wailers are doomed

13 Likes

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by adonbilivit: 3:55pm On Jul 22, 2015
I think this interview is (INAUDIBLE)...a better source please. if one fakes accent you guys would say it is forming, now the man is keeping it real you guys are still complaining. haba, how do u expect a core Hausa/fulani man to sound? like jetli?

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jul 22, 2015
PMB answered all challenging questions with courage, confident and wisdom. Am so proud of my President. Haters can join GEJ and his administration in hell for all I care!

The person below me " not we, you and ur family alone please ". So many Nigerians are suffering from Political diarrhea these days. WHO Alert!

21 Likes

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Regiblinkz(m): 3:55pm On Jul 22, 2015
we are doomed

1 Like

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 22, 2015
Quite an interesting piece

1 Like

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Valwezzy: 3:56pm On Jul 22, 2015
Baba go slowgringrin

Food don done for WAILING WAILERSgringringrin

1 Like

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Laredojohn(m): 3:56pm On Jul 22, 2015
the man try sha

2 Likes

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by Nobody: 3:56pm On Jul 22, 2015
He fared much better than GEJ.

11 Likes

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by alaoeri: 3:56pm On Jul 22, 2015
And some dingbats are comparing PMB with the clueless drunkard " that is not correct ", its glaring Baba is miles ahead.

3 Likes

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by socialmediaman: 3:58pm On Jul 22, 2015
"I will negotiate with genuine Boko Haram and give them what they want"
~Buhari to Christiana Amapour on CNN

Wrong. "Negotiate to know what they want" not give them what they want.

It's about the Girls we're talking about. He wants to negotiate ONLY for the girls, GEJ was rather negotiating for them to cease fire or get armnesty which was unacceptable

6 Likes

Re: Full Transcript Of President Buhari's Latest CNN Interview by kenedy175(m): 3:58pm On Jul 22, 2015
Baba tried sha but (INAUDIBLE) waiting for more actions grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Boko Haram Terrorist Captured With Money / I Became A Billionaire At 25 – Governor Umahi / Brymo Declares Support For Tinubu, Calls Him “City Boy”

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.