Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:00 AM

Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. (15661 Views)

Buhari Described As A Western Puppet By Russian TV (video) / [see Photos] A Few People Were Actually Injured In The Agbara Robbery Today / How Igbos Were Treated In The North - Ena Ofugara From Urhobo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Nobody: 12:59am On Jul 23, 2015
Take a look at these images and the contained excerpts from a book published 150 years ago.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Nobody: 1:00am On Jul 23, 2015
Kind of surprised.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Nobody: 1:01am On Jul 23, 2015
Lovesdaisied:
Kind of surprised.
tiff...
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by IGBOSON1: 1:08am On Jul 23, 2015
Na wah oh! Where do you find these ancient books from?

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Nobody: 1:11am On Jul 23, 2015
IGBOSON1:
Na wah oh! Where do you find these ancient books from?

Hehehe....na so I see am for one discussion group like that.

shocked

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by pryme(m): 1:21am On Jul 23, 2015
the "Politics" section on NairaLand now belongs to the Igbos.
this section has lost it credibility

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Vicotex2: 1:25am On Jul 23, 2015
pryme:

W/o us, NL will be like a blank site without traffic and content

9 Likes

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Nobody: 1:28am On Jul 23, 2015
pryme:

Ok. Sorry for ruining your night with this thread. But you could have easily ignored it you know. The numerous Buhari, APC/PDP wars, America and Obama threads are there.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Nobody: 1:31am On Jul 23, 2015
Nnamdi Kanu is afterall right. One and only God as clearly seen in the excerpt ... "Tshuku-okeke"or Chukwu Okike Abiama. Very learned man!

Igbos don't feel alone living in a country where your fellow country men hate you with passion and are afraid of your potential. The world knows this even highly placed governments know you have Jewish ancestry and endowed with incredible gift of ingenuity.

"Igbos are wandering Jews of West Africa - gifted, aggressive, westernized, and at best, envied and resented, but mostly despised by their neighbors in the Federation---" (a White House Memo on Biafra January 28, 1969 to President Nixon by Secretary of State, Henry Kissinger) (Source : U.S Foreign Relations Documents Volume 5 , 1969)

Dr. Thomas Sowell, renowned American philosopher in one of his books recognized four highly gifted peoples across the world: The Jews, Germans, Chinese and Igbos.

Give them Biafra and watch them build a civilization never seen before in a black nation.

31 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by kessgreen(m): 1:37am On Jul 23, 2015
why do u people still love deceiving yourselves? do u think the isrealites of today give a hoot about you? go there and u'l discover they will throw u like garbage away. if you doubt it, find out what is happening to Ethipian jews who live there. there are being discriminated upon. yet u stil dey here, all of una go dey talk of one rubbish massob n jew nonsense. oga park well grin cool cheesy[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

6 Likes

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by Nobody: 1:40am On Jul 23, 2015
Neither for nor against the Igbo Jew thing. Just thought to share for laughs at how this interesting this thread will be.

grin

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by lunaticfringe: 1:42am On Jul 23, 2015
Chukwuokike.... Onye oma, otito na nsopuru diri aha nso gi ebighi ebi... Ebube gi enweghi atu. Nna Di nsoo, biko bia zopata anyi na aka ndi iro anyi...

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by carnegiefan: 1:46am On Jul 23, 2015
I figured that for myself even before reading any historical book. I took a careful look at prior traditional Igbo marriage practices (not the one we have these days o), whereby it was almost 100% same as practiced in the Bible of old testament.
The only difference is that biblical Jews sometimes married their cousins. Everything else rhymed.
Our ancestors (like the biblical Jews) were polygamous, and all females got married -no women roaming free under the guise of not finding husbands. Adultery was BIG DEAL back then; today it is almost the norm
If we don't return to our traditional marriage culture, our families will soon start to grow weaker and weaker. It is already happening.
To become strong again, we have to do away with western style marriage. It is not working for its owners anyway.

5 Likes

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by vicadex07(m): 2:47am On Jul 23, 2015
Lol...ibos wey no know their source. They are always tryin to claim another mans heritage

Lovesdaisied:
Take a look at these images and the contained excerpts from a book published 150 years ago.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by ak47mann(m): 3:15am On Jul 23, 2015
Chukwu Abiama you always find your people a testimony from 150yrs ago cool

12 Likes

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by OfoIgbo: 3:44am On Jul 23, 2015
Op, I am interested in the completion of that last sentence I.e THIS PLACE IS.....

I suspect it will be Nri. If that is the case, Nri was not a single town but a clan, the core of which is made up of Enugwu-ukwu, Nawfia, Enugwu-Agidi and Agukwu-Nri.
it was a few decades ago that Agukwu-Nri adopted the clan name as their name much to the chagrin of the elder brother towns.

You may have heard of the term Umu-Nri. The four towns I mentioned above are the core UmuNris and they own the four market days generally used by Igbos, Binis and Igalas, and only descendants from those towns have the privilege of IKPU ALU e.t.c. Nri Ji Ofo

Please complete that sentence for me.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by ezeagu(m): 3:54am On Jul 23, 2015
The Igbo people are not Jews and they do not practice Judaism, this was a theory in the early 20th century that has been debunked and scrapped. See here: A Re-Emerging Scam: A Review of The Jews of Nigeria Part 3 The person that's quoted in the first post is an African named Africanus Horton who is of Igbo descent, it seem that this literature is supposed to be the 'vindication' of Africans and comapring African culture and beliefs to acceptable western ones seems to be a method of doing that. It's also why many people today want to be attached to Jews, because they want their culture and history to be acceptable to a western standard, instead of trying to find out actual facts, we stick to far-fetched theories of "wandering Jews". The fact is Israel is not looking for anymore dark skinned peoples to troop to their country, they're not your allies and they hardly know/care if you exist.

That fact is Igbo people share more in common with people in Congo than they do with people in Israel.

4 Likes

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by ezeagu(m): 4:02am On Jul 23, 2015
carnegiefan:
I figured that for myself even before reading any historical book. I took a careful look at prior traditional Igbo marriage practices (not the one we have these days o), whereby it was almost 100% same as practiced in the Bible of old testament.
The only difference is that biblical Jews sometimes married their cousins. Everything else rhymed.
Our ancestors (like the biblical Jews) were polygamous, and all females got married -no women roaming free under the guise of not finding husbands. Adultery was BIG DEAL back then; today it is almost the norm
If we don't return to our traditional marriage culture, our families will soon start to grow weaker and weaker. It is already happening.
To become strong again, we have to do away with western style marriage. It is not working for its owners anyway.

The thing you said about adultery and bachelorettes is not true, in many parts of Igboland pre-marital sex was the norm, and even sharing your wife and husband (see 'iko') was a norm in some places. There's a woman named Ahebi Ugbagbe who was sacrificed to a goddess at a young age and was made a sex worker, she escaped and returned to the community as a free woman with a lot of power and even had wives.

Our people are idealising and looking at our history through the bible and Victorian customs which leads them to state things that are not true, especially when it comes the freedom of women. And divorce was recognised back then as well.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by ezeagu(m): 4:07am On Jul 23, 2015
The Female King of Colonial Nigeria: Ahebi Ugbabe Nwando Achebe

The Female King of Colonial Nigeria is the story of a woman, Ahebi Ugbabe, who rose from the status of a local girl and commercial sex worker to that of a village headman, a warrant chief and a king. Ahebi was born in Enugu-Ezike, an Igbo community, in the late 19th century. At the age of 13 or 14, she fled into neighboring Igala land to escape marriage to a deity as propitiation for her father’s sins. While in exile, she became a commercial sex worker, and in this way, aligned herself with powerful men such as the ruler of Igala, and British colonial officials. She also became fluent in pidgin English and other African languages, a skill that proved relevant to her future political ambitions. The early 20th century was a period of British incursion into Igboland, and Ahebi used this to her benefit by leading the British forces into Enugu Ezike, her hometown. As a reward for her support, the British invaders installed her as a village headman. Due to her efficiency and continued loyalty, she was elevated to the post of warrant chief, a feat that was contrary to British policy of female political exclusion in colonial Nigeria. With the help of the Attah (ruler) of Igala, whose influence extended to Northern Igbo land, Ahebi Ugbabe became king of Enugu-Ezike, therefore upsetting the gendered politics in her community. As king, she performed female masculinities, and superceded all existing male political hierarchy and authority. However, when she attempted to assume full manhood by introducing her own masquerade, a deed performed only by men fully initiated into the masquerade cult, she met serious resistance from which she never recovered. For fear that her society may not accord her a befitting burial, Ahebi performed her own funeral in her life time. When she eventually died in 1948, she had a very quiet send-off. Notwithstanding, she became deified as a goddess in her mother’s hometown, and is remembered in many Enugu-Ezike songs and parables.

More here: http://www.history.ac.uk/reviews/review/1393

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by ezeagu(m): 4:15am On Jul 23, 2015
OfoIgbo:
Op, I am interested in the completion of that last sentence I.e THIS PLACE IS.....

I suspect it will be Nri. If that is the case, Nri was not a single town but a clan, the core of which is made up of Enugwu-ukwu, Nawfia, Enugwu-Agidi and Agukwu-Nri.
it was a few decades ago that Agukwu-Nri adopted the clan name as their name much to the chagrin of the elder brother towns.

You may have heard of the term Umu-Nri. The four towns I mentioned above are the core UmuNris and they own the four market days generally used by Igbos, Binis and Igalas, and only descendants from those towns have the privilege of IKPU ALU e.t.c. Nri Ji Ofo

Please complete that sentence for me.

Aro, he's talking about Ibini Ukpabi.
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by OfoIgbo: 4:18am On Jul 23, 2015
ezeagu:
The Igbo people are not Jews and they do not practice Judaism, this was a theory in the early 20th century that has been debunked and scrapped. See here: A Re-Emerging Scam: A Review of The Jews of Nigeria Part 3 The person that's quoted in the first post is an African named Africanus Horton who is of Igbo descent, it seem that this literature is supposed to be the 'vindication' of Africans and comapring African culture and beliefs to acceptable western ones seems to be a method of doing that. It's also why many people today want to be attached to Jews, because they want their culture and history to be acceptable to a western standard, instead of trying to find out actual facts, we stick to far-fetched theories of "wandering Jews". The fact is Israel is not looking for anymore dark skinned peoples to troop to their country, they're not your allies and they hardly know/care if you exist.

That fact is Igbo people share more in common with people in Congo than they do with people in Israel.

There are a great deal of cultural similarities between the Igbos (especially the Nris) and the Jews to raise a suspicion of common ancestry, but most traditional Nris are reluctant to go the extra hog and claim outright Jewish ancestry. In fact some Nris are even saying that Jews are descended from Ndigbo, but all these are cultural posturing and pride
There needs to be a complete study to establish the veracity of either standpoint.

I am aware that of late, the Aguleris, perhaps in a bid to acquire cultural significance in Igboland have gone on to hug the idea of Igbo-Jewish ancestry with Aguleri as the headquarter of Igbo cultural life, which is clearly false and historical cum anthropological 419

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by OfoIgbo: 4:29am On Jul 23, 2015
ezeagu:

Aro, he's talking about Ibini Ukpabi.

In that case his cultural knowledge was far more limited than I originally assumed. Nri takes precedence over Aro in Igbo cultural matters.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by knowledgeable: 4:32am On Jul 23, 2015
kessgreen:
why do u people still love deceiving yourselves? do u think the isrealites of today give a hoot about you? go there and u'l discover they will throw u like garbage away. if you doubt it, find out what is happening to Ethipian jews who live there. there are being discriminated upon. yet u stil dey here, all of una go dey talk of one rubbish massob n jew nonsense. oga park well grin cool cheesy[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]

But wait oo, how does your religion and belief system, connected with going to Israel to live or mingle in the real sense of it. Igbos Jewish religious practice is othorchnosious to Igbo land
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by ezeagu(m): 4:46am On Jul 23, 2015
OfoIgbo:

There are a great deal of cultural similarities between the Igbos (especially the Nris) and the Jews to raise a suspicion of common ancestry, but most traditional Nris are reluctant to go the extra hog and claim outright Jewish ancestry. In fact some Nris are even saying that Jews are descended from Ndigbo, but all these are cultural posturing and pride
There needs to be a complete study to establish the veracity of either standpoint.

I am aware that of late, the Aguleris, perhaps in a bid to acquire cultural significance in Igboland have gone on to hug the idea of Igbo-Jewish ancestry with Aguleri as the headquarter of Igbo cultural life, which is clearly false and historical cum anthropological 419

There have been studies, such as linguistics (Hausa is linked closer to Hebrew than Igbo, in fact Hausa is in the same Afro-Asiatic language family as Hebrew, while Igbo is not, Igbo is closer to languages in Congo than it is to anything in the Middle East), culture (there are more than enough cultural coincidences around the world because human nature does not vary that much in the end), and genetic (there are no genes in the Igbo ancestry that shares any ancestry coming from the Middle East). There is no history or Igbo word that described any journey or any place name in Israel. The Aguleri king completely fabricated his history with the help of some random white guy and that's completely deplorable. There's more evidence that the civilisations in the Middle East came from Africa, in fact they did.

OfoIgbo:

In that case his cultural knowledge was far more limited than I originally assumed. Nri takes precedence over Aro in Igbo cultural matters.

Maybe in the areas where they have Ozo na Nze, but in Imo, Abia and Ebonyi (and Ijo, Ibibio and parts of Enugu) the Aro Chukwu oracle was supreme, especially in the 18th to 19th centuries.

4 Likes

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by ezeagu(m): 4:53am On Jul 23, 2015
And the only reason why we see so many similarities is because the Igbo were colonised and converted overwhelmingly to Christianity, in turn they used confirmation bias (seeing your suspicions as true before even attempting to verify this) to claim Jews. It's the same way Islamic cultures claim descent from Arabia. It's simply the effects of being a conquered people, you start to see others as superior to yourself and in the Igbo case they try and reconcile this by attaching themselves to that 'glory'. Igbo people have been converting to Christianity since the 1800s.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by isbish(m): 5:03am On Jul 23, 2015
Why would a tribe be happy to be associated with Jews when they are part of the gentiles. Jews despise other tribes and religions especially Christianity. The Jews killed Jesus and till tomorrow, they are proud of it. If all of u know what being a jew is, none of u will be proud to be called a jew.

2 Likes

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by ezeagu(m): 5:08am On Jul 23, 2015
isbish:
Why would a tribe be happy to be associated with Jews when they are part of the gentiles. Jews despise other tribes and religions especially Christianity. The Jews killed Jesus and till tomorrow, they are proud of it. If all of u know what being a jew is, none of u will be proud to be called a jew.

You believe in the Roman fairytales in the bible? Especially the anti Judaic ones ('Judas' as the betrayer)?
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by carnegiefan: 5:13am On Jul 23, 2015
ezeagu:

The thing you said about adultery and bachelorettes is not true, in many parts of Igboland pre-marital sex was the norm, and even sharing your wife and husband (see 'iko') was a norm in some places. There's a woman named Ahebi Ugbagbe who was sacrificed to a goddess at a young age and was made a sex worker, she escaped and returned to the community as a free woman with a lot of power and even had wives.

Our people are idealising and looking at our history through the bible and Victorian customs which leads them to state things that are not true, especially when it comes the freedom of women. And divorce was recognised back then as well.

Honestly I don't know where to start. I did not say that adultery never happened at all in Igbo land. Nor did I say that premarital sex never happened. I strongly dispute that they were the norm.
Yes, some women also "married" other women (as in Jewish culture too, eg Sarah and Hagah) when they cannot bear children for their husbands.

There was also harlotry (women of easy virtues) in Jewish culture, in fact it was popular up to the time of Jesus.
Married women also had sex in Igbo culture but that was NOT the norm. In some Igbo clans, people actually died just because they committed adultery.

Igbo clans bordering non-Igbo ethnic groups obviously differ somewhat from the rest of the central Igbo due to copying the culture of their neighbors, just like the Jews adopted Canaanite gods and hedonism. Majority of olden day Igbo and ancient Jews frowned seriously at premarital sex and adultery.

Divorce was also easy in BOTH cultures. A woman simply moved into another man's house and that was it; no lengthy divorce procedures. That is why Jesus condemned it in his day.

There were also female Judges in Israel of the old as there were powerful women in Igbo clans too.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by naijaking1: 5:15am On Jul 23, 2015
isbish:

Why would anyone be happy to be associated with history?
Igbos are not Jews, but no one can deny starking similarities between Igbo(Egbeo) and Hebrew(Egbro) cultures, even before politics of hate colored people's imagination.

1 Like

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by ezeagu(m): 5:32am On Jul 23, 2015
carnegiefan:

Honestly I don't know where to start. I did not say that adultery never happened at all in Igbo land. Nor did I say that premarital sex never happened. I strongly dispute that they were the norm.
Yes, some women also "married" other women (as in Jewish culture too, eg Sarah and Hagah) when they cannot bear children for their husbands.

There was also harlotry (women of easy virtues) in Jewish culture, in fact it was popular up to the time of Jesus.
Married women also had sex in Igbo culture but that was NOT the norm. In some Igbo clans, people actually died just because they committed adultery.

Igbo clans bordering non-Igbo ethnic groups obviously differ somewhat from the rest of the central Igbo due to copying the culture of their neighbors, just like the Jews adopted Canaanite gods and hedonism. Majority of olden day Igbo and ancient Jews frowned seriously at premarital sex and adultery.

Divorce was also easy in BOTH cultures. A woman simply moved into another man's house and that was it; no lengthy divorce procedures. That is why Jesus condemned it in his day.

There were also female Judges in Israel of the old as there were powerful women in Igbo clans too.

This is what happens when you try and peg your culture to a completely alien one, you just pointed out generic similarities that are found in many cultures. You're also assuming that Anambra is the nucleus of Igbo culture and have been uninfluenced even though both Benin and Igala have influenced many communities in what we now know as Anambra State. The woman's story I quoted, Ahebi, married women without a husband.

3 Likes

Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by ezeagu(m): 5:33am On Jul 23, 2015
naijaking1:

Why would anyone be happy to be associated with history?
Igbos are not Jews, but no one can deny starking similarities between Igbo(Egbeo) and Hebrew(Egbro) cultures, even before politics of hate colored people's imagination.

Where did you pull these spellings from now? Do you know that word Hebrew isn't even a Hebrew word?
Re: Igbos Were Actually Described As Practising Jews. by omoelesa(m): 5:40am On Jul 23, 2015
The only jews that gets deported from israel.yeye

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

David Mark: Counsels Close Case, Benue Tribunal Set To Announce Date Of Judgment / APC Members Defect To PDP In Edo (2014) / PDP Crisis: Sheriff Rules Out Future Meeting With Jonathan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.