Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,181 members, 7,807,580 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

Choosing Between Acca And Ican - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Choosing Between Acca And Ican (37456 Views)

Choosing Between Working In Lagos Mainland Or Lagos Island / Choosing Between My Job And Educational Career / Working And Running Masters And ICAN At The Same Time. Is This Possible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by ibadanfinest(m): 1:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
pweetychyka:
I choose ACCA despite the cost!

1. Anyone who has got d certificate can always work anywhere around the world but wit ICAN u can't! Even here in Nigeria, I observe dat ACCA is still very much preferred dan ICAN

2. Anoda point on d view of it been tough n intense.... is 30% accepted! If u av got a better tutorial to attend n a comprehensive learning kit, trust dere will be notjing difficult for you to attend on ACCA exams!

You can't expect an ICAN fellow to tutor an ACCA candidate

#machoicetho

Don't be misguided, both ACCA and Ican. are now IFRS compliance. The truth is right now they are the same thing to me, the difference will be that for ICAN your business law, taxation and psaf will be according to Nigeria law while ACCA will be according to UK law,

Lastly firm don't prefer ACCA holders to ican holders because quote me anywhere ICAN has more brilliant candidates than ACCA in fact Nigerian candidate opt for ACCA because they feel its easier to pass.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by Arisheloaded(m): 1:42pm On Mar 21, 2016
Any information or more details about ICAN?
I'm planning to start soon.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by Olufunmihimself: 1:44pm On Mar 21, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

I think he is talking about some kind of weird ways of marking and not just lack of preparation by students.
ICAN possess this notion in our education system of no student is good enough to be the best than the teacher. The usually poor success rate can't solely be blamed on lack of preparation by the students.
Remember the silly excuse last year or 2 on failure rate in law school, where the legal council came out to defend it by saying students were not serious in class, most usually play with their phones during lecture, etc.
Probably, ICAN might be controlling the population of its members, not sure though, but it's obvious there is something weird about them.
I really do understand your perspective but I don't want to buy that idea that they are trying to streamline their members...why? . See it's a win win situation for them, so I don't see any reason why they should streamline members. I'm Ican student and I started from the scratch. From my year and half of being a student I noticed most student allow other people's story determine theirs and carrying fake propagada about negleting the main thing(reading and trying to cover syllabus). One thing is that ICAN redefines and changes your personality positively. Something we Nigerians don't like... Bless bro.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by shogz89: 1:46pm On Mar 21, 2016
There are some point I will like to correct.. Ican and acca has the same syllabus.. Infact the pack both of them use are both written by Emile wolf.. So it's false to say acca syllabus is bigger than ican.
2) I don't know about other centres but Ikeja centre where I wrote my Ican exam, it's extremely conducive and the ac there can give you pneumonia and o heard same thing in unilag and alimosho..
That dosent change the fact that acca is more recognised globally, buh something is already in motion to close that gap the reason for the change in syllabus in 2014
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by shogz89: 1:49pm On Mar 21, 2016
Barrysleek:
Most ICAN examiners are from the south west the tend deliberate refuse to pass student from other regions. look at the huge discrepancy in ratio of ICAN members between the south west and other regions.
why do you guyz always think like this? Do you know how many markers that mark a single script? Please give me a very good link that buttress your point.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by Olufunmihimself: 1:53pm On Mar 21, 2016
obajoey:
bro i think the op is right. In 2014 ICAN students were seen protesting and carrying placards saying "ICAN is a SCAM".

Trust me! he is bias maybe because he affiliated to ACCA ... He's not objective. Bless bro.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by obajoey(m): 1:56pm On Mar 21, 2016
Ok bro.

Olufunmihimself:

Trust me! he is bias maybe because he affiliated to ACCA ... He's not objective. Bless bro.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by OlujobaSamuel: 1:57pm On Mar 21, 2016
moscobabs:

thanks bro.

How many paper does Accounting Graduate needs to write before he can qualify in ICAN and ACCA?
I think 4 or 5 for ACCA. was granted 3, f1,2 & 3 with HND in banking and finance.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by Greycious(m): 2:01pm On Mar 21, 2016
Please who can help me with ICAN study materials for foundation level. I want to start preparing for November diet.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by OlujobaSamuel: 2:04pm On Mar 21, 2016
Olufunmihimself:

I really do understand your perspective but I don't want to buy that idea that they are trying to streamline their members...why? . See it's a win win situation for them, so I don't see any reason why they should streamline members. I'm Ican student and I started from the scratch. From my year and half of being a student I noticed most student allow other people's story determine theirs and carrying fake propagada about negleting the main thing(reading and trying to cover syllabus). One thing is that ICAN redefines and changes your personality positively. Something we Nigerians don't like... Bless bro.
that's why I said I'm not sure, but this is Nigeria, I trust our politicians more than any professional, from education to law, to medicine, the so called big wigs can control things just to have an exclusive society for their profession, thus having a leverage in making demands. Sometimes ridiculous unrealistic benchmarks are set to be seen as being the best of the pack.

2 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by shogz89: 2:05pm On Mar 21, 2016
OlujobaSamuel:

I think 4 or 5 for ACCA. was granted 3, f1,2 & 3 with HND in banking and finance.
he said how many paper will he write not Hw many exemptions.. For Ican he is going to write 9 papers to qualify
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by rita25(f): 2:07pm On Mar 21, 2016
ANAN NKO?
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by Greycious(m): 2:07pm On Mar 21, 2016
Olufunmihimself:

As an ican student, can u share with me some of ur experience(s). I have been told ICAN is very hard to pass but I'm bent on going for it.
And also, how does it increase someone's job prospect?
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by OlujobaSamuel: 2:08pm On Mar 21, 2016
shogz89:
he said how many paper will he write not Hw many exemptions.. For Ican he is going to write 9 papers to qualify
thanks jare, na so person dey fail exam.
14papers minus whatever exemptions granted, so might have to write 9 or 10.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by maxidgreat: 2:10pm On Mar 21, 2016
Is CIMA recognised in Canada and US?
Secondly, please compare CIMA with the aforementioned. Thanx
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by obajoey(m): 2:10pm On Mar 21, 2016
pls is this samuel (Lords Propt) ?

OlujobaSamuel:

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 2:10pm On Mar 21, 2016
moscobabs:

thanks bro.

How many paper does Accounting Graduate needs to write before he can qualify in ICAN and ACCA?

10 papers
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 2:16pm On Mar 21, 2016
ibadanfinest:

Don't be misguided, both ACCA and Ican. are now IFRS compliance. The truth is right now they are the same thing to me, the difference will be that for ICAN your business law, taxation and psaf will be according to Nigeria law while ACCA will be according to UK law,

Lastly firm don't prefer ACCA holders to ican holders because quote me anywhere ICAN has more brilliant candidates than ACCA in fact Nigerian candidate opt for ACCA because they feel its easier to pass.

How can you proof that ican has more brilliant candidates than Acca? Why jump into conclusions?

Acca is a more technical exam than Ican, you cant compare the standards of questions Acca sets to that of ican. The only thing is I know is that ican doesn't have a good quality control review with their questions, this may make them set questions outside syllabus which can be annoying (although I learnt they have looked into this). ACCA on the other hand has a very good quality control review, also when it comes to being more more technical in the accounting profession, it is ever advisable to opt for ACCA.

2 Likes

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by BrosMayowa(m): 2:22pm On Mar 21, 2016
All correct Op, but you forgot to add the Oxford Brookes Degree part you get from ACCA for completing Foundation.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by OlujobaSamuel: 2:22pm On Mar 21, 2016
obajoey:
pls is this samuel (Lords Propt) Ilaro?
obaoye? boss, how far now, how ur side?
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by Olufunmihimself: 2:24pm On Mar 21, 2016
Greycious:

As an ican student, can u share with me some of ur experience(s). I have been told ICAN is very hard to pass but I'm bent on going for it.
And also, how does it increase someone's job prospect?
Please don't listen to negative talks... It's a professional course meant for humans not superhumans. Just follow your instinct if that's what you want. The truth is that ICAN redefines and shapes you positively. You're going to let go of many things; it requires alot of sacrifice. ICAN is very jealous, it needs a lots of dedication of time and hard work, that even sometime you'll want to give up because your social life and sleep will be reduced to the bearest minimum. Please just try as much as posible to ignore negative talks, always claim positives for yourself and be true to it. Believe me it will WORTH it at the end of the day. You can drop your email so I can send you the Foundation modules and also specify the course you studied. Bless bro.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 2:29pm On Mar 21, 2016
shogz89:
There are some point I will like to correct.. Ican and acca has the same syllabus.. Infact the pack both of them use are both written by Emile wolf.. So it's false to say acca syllabus is bigger than ican.
2) I don't know about other centres but Ikeja centre where I wrote my Ican exam, it's extremely conducive and the ac there can give you pneumonia and o heard same thing in unilag and alimosho..
That dosent change the fact that acca is more recognised globally, buh something is already in motion to close that gap the reason for the change in syllabus in 2014

What do you mean the pack both of them use are by emile? Infact in Acca alone there are about 4 different official study texts written by different authors from different schools/ organisation. There is the popular bpp, kaplan, becker and another one.. Not by same authors
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by Greycious(m): 2:32pm On Mar 21, 2016
Olufunmihimself:

Please don't listen to negative talks... It's a professional course meant for humans not superhumans. Just follow your instinct if that's what you want. The truth is that ICAN redefines and shapes you positively. You're going to let go of many things; it requires alot of sacrifice. ICAN is very jealous, it needs a lots of dedication of time and hard work, that even sometime you'll want to give up because your social life and sleep will be reduced to the bearest minimum. Please just try as much as posible to ignore negative talks, always claim positives for yourself and be true to it. Believe me it will WORTH it at the end of the day. You can drop your email so I can send you the Foundation modules and also specify the course you studied. Bless bro.
Thanks for ur response bro.
Qualified for A1 exemption.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by obajoey(m): 2:39pm On Mar 21, 2016
Haha, samuel baba, why you con first me register for nairaland nah. O ga oo. I don know say na you. It is well, can't wait to see you occupying that great positions in that great organisation.

Bro am changing pattern oo, I am writing my ACIB now, then ACIS(chartered institute of stockbrokers) with that I can work as an investment banker/financial analyst/investment analyst. You know the exchange rate to write ACCA is not smiling now.

OlujobaSamuel:

obaoye? boss, how far now, how ur side?
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by ibadanfinest(m): 2:51pm On Mar 21, 2016
haibe:

How can you proof that ican has more brilliant candidates than Acca? Why jump into conclusions?

Acca is a more technical exam than Ican, you cant compare the standards of questions Acca sets to that of ican. The only thing is I know is that ican doesn't have a good quality control review with their questions, this may make them set questions outside syllabus which can be annoying (although I learnt they have looked into this). ACCA on the other hand has a very good quality control review, also when it comes to being more more technical in the accounting profession, it is ever advisable to opt for ACCA.
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by pweetychyka(f): 2:53pm On Mar 21, 2016
shogz89:
gently madam

Trust I 'm subject to my own opinion? wink
But I truly drew out some fact...

ibadanfinest:

Don't be misguided, both ACCA and Ican. are now IFRS compliance. The truth is right now they are the same thing to me, the difference will be that for ICAN your business law, taxation and psaf will be according to Nigeria law while ACCA will be according to UK law, Lastly firm don't prefer ACCA holders to ican holders because quote me anywhere ICAN has more brilliant candidates than ACCA in fact Nigerian candidate opt for ACCA because they feel its easier to pass.

@italic.... Trust me u r subjected to your opinion which u jez did....!
@bolded.... who said ACCA is much more easier to pass compared to ICAN? ACCA set applied but technical questions smiley smiley smiley

In all, we all have our perception to both ICAN and ACCA! We also answerable to our own choice...! wink wink wink

haibe:

Thanks haibe.... U spoke my mind grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by OlujobaSamuel: 2:56pm On Mar 21, 2016
obajoey:
Haha, samuel baba, why you con first me register for nairaland nah. O ga oo. I don know say na you. It is well, can't wait to see you occupying that great positions in that great organisation.

Bro am changing pattern oo, I am writing my ACIB now, then ACIS(chartered institute of stockbrokers) with that I can work as an investment banker/financial analyst/investment analyst. You know the exchange rate to write ACCA is not smiling now.

yes oo, my bae is paying for me too this june diet, but na on mutual understanding that I will pay back by having it as a reserve at official rate, and also I must not fail.
I just start to dey use nairaland actively 2years ago, na reg and dump I do for seun before, but the place dey very informative for any problem one might be facing, including raising the dead(winks)

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by ibadanfinest(m): 2:56pm On Mar 21, 2016
haibe:

Everyone claiming acca is more technical than Ican, that's a lie, in fact ICAN had to condescend as people complain ICAN questions are too technical.
As for the proof, students who are unable to pass ICAN exam are passing ACCA exam with ease with moatly the knowledge gather while studying for ICAN.

As it its now both exam body set virtually same questions, you can use ICAN financial reporting to prepare for that of ACCA.

I agree for now we may not be as organized as they are but Ican as an institute is very reasonably organized.

1 Like

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 3:07pm On Mar 21, 2016
ibadanfinest:

Everyone claiming acca is more technical than Ican, that's a lie, in fact ICAN had to condescend as people complain ICAN questions are too technical.
As for the proof, students who are unable to pass ICAN exam are passing ACCA exam with ease with moatly the knowledge gather while studying for ICAN.

As it its now both exam body set virtually same questions, you can use ICAN financial reporting to prepare for that of ACCA.

I agree for now we may not be as organized as they are but Ican as an institute is very reasonably organized.

So u really think Ican is more technical than Acca? Thats laughable bro. I don't want to sound inferior but you cannot compare the ecaminers of Acca to Ican, there is a way acca examiners set questions that you must actually be very knowledgeable and technical to that paper to get something out of it.. Cramming and pouring doesn't help in Acca one bit, you can't rely on calculations only to pass Acca too as several interpretations and comments are required.

Am pretty sure you will also Pm in ican is tougher than what we find in CIMA or that SFM in ICAN is tougher than CFA.. I don't blame you tho cause its easy to be bias especially when you are writing one of the exams in our discourse..

I do ACCA, I know for sure Acca questions are more technical because I solve both ican questions and acca questions. I do ACCA I know for sure even paper P4 is nothing close to what we have in CFA or F5 close to stuffs CIMA (Cant say that for P5 tho).. But the point is I can't be biased, I can easily spot a more technical paper in relation to another when I see one.

I remember waiting ican Fr November skill level question paper to use for preparation of my Acca f7 December diet paper.. I was disappointed with the standard of questions ican set, the 30 marks question on consolidation was a total disgrace to a professional qualification, am sure my lecturer in yr 3 back in uni won't even set such, same went with the questions on auditing, there was hardly anything practical in it, compared to paper f8 in Acca.

Anyway I don't need to say anything more, as I trust that ican is a good professional exam too..
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by Validated: 3:09pm On Mar 21, 2016
ebuksy:
i really agree with you Op. Most pple just think that ACCA is beans. They are wrong!

Bros, I am FCA (ICAN), before leaving Nija, I did some of these foreign "over-rated" exams (ACCA & CIMA), and completed them back to back. This was with the pressure of work. ICAN is still the toughest and the BEST. May not yet have the recognition outside Nigeria, but no ICAN member can be stranded in either ACCA or CIMA. If you CAN PASS ICAN, these ones are BEANS!!! Quote me anywhere in this WORLD. Just another correction, CIMA is tougher than ACCA and is now recognised in US (CGMA designation is offered qualified members by both CIMA (UK) and AICPA (US)).

The name is I CAN!!! Go for it as a sure foundation for your accounting designation. The stress you will pass through will prepare you for a jolly ride over ACCA.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by haibe(m): 3:19pm On Mar 21, 2016
Validated:

Bros, I am FCA (ICAN), before leaving Nija, I did some of these foreign "over-rated" exams (ACCA & CIMA), and completed them back to back. This was with the pressure of work. ICAN is still the toughest and the BEST. May not yet have the recognition outside Nigeria, but no ICAN member can be stranded in either ACCA or CIMA. If you CAN PASS ICAN, these ones are BEANS!!! Quote me anywhere in this WORLD. Just another correction, CIMA is tougher than ACCA and is now recognised in US (CGMA designation is offered qualified members by both CIMA (UK) and AICPA (US)).

The name is I CAN!!! Go for it as a sure foundation for your accounting designation. The stress you will pass through will prepare you for a jolly ride over ACCA.

Lol bro, you are speaking like you don't even have knowledge of a simple learning affect, no offence but I expect you to know better.

If after you have done ican, I don't expect you to have much problem with Acca, if any (compared to someone that hasn't done any prof exam before), this is because there must have been a learning effect all through your doing ican.. Its the same with someone who has done Acca, I don't expect him to find ican hard at all because of the learning effect.

Saying ican is the best is just your opinion, I know people who are chartered accountants under ican and still finding certain papers in Acca problematic, (although this ordinarily shouldn't be the case).. A lot of factors comes into play in how you approach and can handle subsequent professional exams..
Re: Choosing Between Acca And Ican by Validated: 3:22pm On Mar 21, 2016
maxidgreat:
Is CIMA recognised in Canada and US?
Secondly, please compare CIMA with the aforementioned. Thanx

CIMA awards ACMA and CGMA designations on qualifying. With ACMA, you can join CPA, CMA (Canada) on reciprocity, even as at today. With CGMA, you are recognised by AICPA (US). Check out details on www.cimaglobal.com. If you can, go for CIMA. Reason, you can get ICAN on a platter (not sure how many papers you would be required to write now). Again, you become CPA (Canada) on landing Canada and you can vie off to US and use your CGMA. However, note that CIMA is TOUGH also and requires EXTENSIVE reading. It is DOABLE, just be focused and deactivate your NL, Twitters, FB, and face your book for the period. Joke sha!! grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

See The Cake A Nairalander Made (photos) / Top 5 Highest Paying Oil And Gas Companies In Nigeria / PDMS, Piping Designers And Piping Engineers: Lets Connect Here.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 97
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.