Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,030 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:42 AM

Things You Should Know About Cellphones - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Things You Should Know About Cellphones (1550 Views)

Do Cellphones Make Us Antisocial ? / Beware Of Cellphones / Smiley on cellphones. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things You Should Know About Cellphones by imoh81(m): 1:41pm On Sep 26, 2006
Things you should know about cellphones

There are a few things that can be done in times of grave emergencies.

Your mobile phone can actually be a life saver or an emergency tool for

survival. Check out the things that you can do with it: -

EMERGENCY

* The Emergency Number worldwide for **Mobile** is 112 .* If you find

yourself out of coverage area of your mobile network and there is an

emergency, dial 112 and the mobile will search any existing network to

establish the emergency number for you, and interestingly this number 112

can be dialed even if the keypad is locked. **Try it out.**

Have you locked your keys in the car? Does you car have remote keys?

This may come in handy someday. Good reason to own a cell phone:

If you lock your keys in the car and the spare keys are at home, call

someone at home on their cell phone from your cell phone.

Hold your cell phone about a foot from your car door and have the person

at your home press the unlock button, holding it near the mobile phone on

their end. Your car will unlock. Saves someone from having to drive your

keys to you. Distance is no object. You could be hundreds of miles away,

and if you can reach someone who has the other "remote" for your car, you

can unlock the doors (or the trunk).

Editor's Note: *It works fine! We tried it out and it unlocked our car over a cell phone!"*

Hidden Battery power

Imagine your cell battery is very low, you are expecting an important call

and you don't have a charger. Nokia instrument comes with a reserve

battery. To activate, press the keys *3370# Your cell will restart with

this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This

reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time.

AND

How to disable a STOLEN mobile phone?

To check your Mobile phone's serial number, key in the following digits on your phone:

* # 0 6 #

A 15 digit code will appear on the screen. This number is unique to your

handset. Write it down and keep it somewhere safe. when your phone get

stolen, you can phone your service provider and give them this code. They

will then be able to block your handset so even if the thief changes the

SIM card, your phone will be totally useless.

You probably won't get your phone back, but at least you know that whoever stole it can't use/sell it either.

If everybody does this, there would be no point in people stealing mobile phones.
Re: Things You Should Know About Cellphones by Hugoboi(m): 1:48pm On Sep 26, 2006
To activate, press the keys *3370# Your cell will restart with

this reserve and the instrument will show a 50% increase in battery. This

reserve will get charged when you charge your cell next time.

Hey!! I just tried this and there wasnt any significant change even tho my fone automatically switched off and came on again.No change in battery level meter
Re: Things You Should Know About Cellphones by cosmorpel(m): 10:02pm On Oct 04, 2006
my guys, pls i cant understand all this, pls pple shud not post wat can lock someone's phone for life ooooh!!!!!
Re: Things You Should Know About Cellphones by Neoteny(m): 5:26pm On Oct 06, 2006
another copy-pasting rambler. oh well.

1. nigerian operators DONT respond to 112. reason: crank callers who place fake MRJNC (emergency for the newbies) calls, and the fact that we lack adequate MRJNC response personnel. vmobile has its own MRJNC number, while dialing it from MTN only gets you the infamous "the number you have dialed is incorrect" response.

2. this works for tone-based autolocks ONLY, and is hardly practical here in Naija as virtually ALL autolocks in use here beam radio signals.

3. the *3370# thingy is an old trick, meant for increasing Fullrate transmission (3370 corresponds to EFR0 on your key pad, E=Extended, F=Full, R=Rate, 0=On. 0 is zero, not the letter O). Extended fullrate increases call clarity and DECREASES your battery span, NOT increase it. the code u gave (i.e *3370# is for turning EFR ON.
to turn it off (and reduce call clarity while theoretically maxing out your battery) you should type #3370#, with  0=Off in this case. unfortunately Extended fullrate cannot be switched off or on in Naija networks.

this is along the lines of the also infamous SIM CLOCK STOP trick (*#746025652# corresponding to SIM 0 CLOCK on your pad, the 0 being mostly a space separator). this works on nokia DCT3 phones but sadly however much i tried i couldnt get any effect. its supposed to stop the inbuilt sim clock (not clock as in timekeeper; clock as in counter) and thus conserve your battery as well as allow u send free sms. BUT IT DOES NOT WORK IN NAIJA!!

there are also codes t enable/disable halfrates, but they too dont have any effect here as far as i know.

*4720# to activate HFR.
#4270# to deactivate HFR.

4. no naija operator currently supports OTA disabling of stolen phone hardware. even if they do, it wont make much sense cos if Glo were to disable a phone i stole i could get a sim from ANY network and use the phone on account of the fact that the said phone was only disabled from working on Glo network. note that it is not the phone that is disabled, but rather the blocking network blacklists the phone's serial number/imei from being authenticated and registered on its MCC/network.
Re: Things You Should Know About Cellphones by desun: 3:56pm On Mar 06, 2008
Good day,
Please i want to know how to flash a sony ericssonw550i phone.
Thanks. desun4luv@yahoo.com. thats my yahoo id
Re: Things You Should Know About Cellphones by Emeka72(m): 4:12pm On Mar 06, 2008
pls I also want to know how to tackle SAGEM myX5-2v with power I.C problem
Re: Things You Should Know About Cellphones by DualCore1: 4:25pm On Mar 06, 2008
***looks at the dates and goes . . .hehe hehehe

(1) (Reply)

Unlock Blackberry Phone / ****airtel New Tweak**** No Software Needed*** / My Iphone Screen Won't Rotate. How Do I Fix It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.