Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,781 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

UNTOLD PAIN: The Making - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / UNTOLD PAIN: The Making (917 Views)

DEATH AT SEA (the Untold Tale Of Nature's Killing Machines At Sea) / "Sweet Pain" / Pleasure And Pain - A Short Story (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UNTOLD PAIN: The Making by usermane(m): 10:11am On Jul 24, 2015
I have got a story to tell; UNTOLD PAIN.

This thread isn't intended to narrate the story. In fact, i aint done constructing the story. This thread will deal with the plot, character development, character interaction.

Here are a few important details about the Novel;

Genre: General Fiction

Setting: Urban or County

Time: Contemporary

Overtones: Loneliness, Failure, Unrequited love, Hate, Betrayal, Vengeance, Emotional abuse, Sorrow, Lies, Fear, Guilt, Shame.

Periodically, i 'll be updating this thread on the development of my novel. Feel free to ask me questions regarding this and you may also make recommendation particularly for the story. Lastly and also important, all constructive criticisms are welcome.

Thank you.
Re: UNTOLD PAIN: The Making by importexpert(m): 11:36am On Jul 24, 2015
we await the proceedings.
Re: UNTOLD PAIN: The Making by ibrams(m): 12:08pm On Jul 24, 2015
interestinq.......
waitinq.....for the booom
Re: UNTOLD PAIN: The Making by usermane(m): 6:36am On Jul 25, 2015
Choosing the Genre of My Novel

I know some are already confused by the term "General Fiction" because when it pertain to novels or TV, we all are more familiar with Romance, Thriller, Crime. You see, i had trouble resolving the genre of my novel. Here are a few genres i considered before settling for General fiction.

A. Thriller
There are moments of thrills in the novel. But these moments are rather concentrated at the end.

B. Romance
Or more precisely, i originally considered classing my book as Romantic Thriller. Again there are too few moments of Romance in it, occuring rather in subplot, not main plot.

C. Literary Fiction
I could easily class this novel as Literary fiction given the depth of the characters and the extent to which the novel explore reality. But Literary fiction is a very broad and unclassified genre. I didn't want to pigeonhole my novel in a genre that leave readers guessing the themes.

But readers just want to read a good story, why worry much about the genre of your novel?

Marketing and Accessibility! Readers don't simply pick any book when they want to read. They have a genre in mind where they choose to select from. If your book is not classed or is wrongly classed. It will never get to the target audience.

Marketing and Accessibility! Readers don't simply pick any book when they want to read. They have a genre in mind where they choose from. If your book is not classed or is wrongly classed. It will hardly reach the target audience.

This novel has a fair share of crime, tragedy, mystery, thriller and romance, so i settled for General fiction since it encompasses multiple genres.
Re: UNTOLD PAIN: The Making by usermane(m): 3:43pm On Jul 25, 2015
Where is the Tragedy Genre?

I looked online, in every ebook stores, from Amazon to Kobo. There is definitely a genre known as "tragedy", a direct opposite of the Comedy and Humor genre.

Here is the problem, Untold Pain is a tragic family story that could leave you upset, rooting badly with the characters. 'Tragedy' is the only word that accurately define this novel but unfortunately i am yet to find any novel store that recognizes this genre. Thus "General fiction" seem my only suitable choice.
Re: UNTOLD PAIN: The Making by usermane(m): 5:39pm On Aug 12, 2015
What is Untold Pain: The Novel about?

At this level, it is hard to give a wholesome response to the above question. The novel loosely covers a series of events following or preceding the murder of a politician and his wife. The son of the politician is the main protagonist of the novel but the novel doesn't revolve only around him. His wife, son and daughter play vital roles in the book.
Re: UNTOLD PAIN: The Making by usermane(m): 6:15pm On Aug 12, 2015
What about the Antagonist?

Yes we have a human antagonist in the novel. Though for much of the story, the antagonists never oppose or contact the protagonist. In fact, the protagonist and antagonist are committed if not obsessed with the same end. The difference between the two is methodology.
Re: UNTOLD PAIN: The Making by usermane(m): 7:34pm On Aug 12, 2015
To What extent does the novel revolve around the primary protagonist, can this be described as a multi-protagonist novel?

Originally, I planned to produce a multi-protagonist novel, I liked the idea. I concieved the idea of a novel with four protagonist, each with the alternate story arc. But as I developed the plot, I realized the difficulty in reaching this. The write must strike a balance in narrative, alloting each protagonist a fair share of rich and captivating story arc.
This is my first novel and it is only clever to delve into something simpler, so I change my mind.

Instead of a multi-protagonist novel, I am developing something mono-protagonist novel with supporting characters each commited to personal goal that I deeply look into
Re: UNTOLD PAIN: The Making by usermane(m): 3:12am On Nov 30, 2015
Theme of the Novel

I haven't updated this thread for an extremely long time, but make no mistake i haven't forgone my novel. Day by day, i rehearse it, seeking to develop a deeper and more detailed plot. I am back on the thread and this time i want to discuss the theme of my novel.

The theme of a novel is the underlying message or subject about life that the novel explores. Most time the theme of a novel is less appreciated than the story because the theme is not apparent, the theme in most cases is not even given by the writer. The theme of a novel can only be grasped by those readers who rationalize the motivation, the dialogue, decisions and consequences of the novel. Most readers don't bother about these, they just want a beautiful story to entertain themselves. They couldnt care less about the theme, the message about life that the writer projects through the novel.

That being said, it is essential to have a theme for your novel. It guides you through plot making, helping you focus on relevant areas important to the novel. A novel without a theme is like a life without a purpose or mission.
Re: UNTOLD PAIN: The Making by usermane(m): 3:39am On Nov 30, 2015
So, what is the theme of Untold Pain: The novel?

The overall theme of the novel is; The consequences of human corruption and the cost borne by those who seek to confront this corruption. When you look in the eye of the devil, the devil look right back at you.

We live in a corrupt society wherein human greed for wealth, fame, and power are repeatedly resulting in devastating consequences. The rat race for these three is so dirty and foul as many seekers give in to corrupt endeavors to attain their end. With every corrupt act by a single person, several others bear the ugy fruit. As there is a limit to endurance, it is only a matter of time before the victims of corruption or sympathizers of the victims take the bull by the horn. What lies in store for for those confronting the corrupt in the society, a promising return or a bleak future? Of course, it is human to hope the forces of good suppress the forces of evil in every encounter, but in cases this is not always the result. Confronting the corrupt is dangerous, comes with sacrifices and some regret.

(1) (Reply)

[story] The New Form Teacher(rated: 18+)…part 2 / I May Die Today / The Crazy Nigerian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.