Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,036 members, 7,807,113 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:46 AM

Help. Nervous Speaking In The Public - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Help. Nervous Speaking In The Public (934 Views)

Please How Can I Improve In My English Speaking. / LIST: Best English Speaking Countries In Africa See Where Nigeria Is On The List / “Does Speaking Of English As First Language Promotes Academic Excellence?” (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help. Nervous Speaking In The Public by Onyi4live(m): 4:16pm On Jul 24, 2015
Am always nervous speaking to audience of 20 or more to the extent of fidgeting. Despite efforts I've invested to stop it, all ended in futility .

Advice needed
Re: Help. Nervous Speaking In The Public by christinie(f): 4:20pm On Jul 24, 2015
It happens to me too.
Re: Help. Nervous Speaking In The Public by naijaedutech: 4:37pm On Jul 24, 2015
It's actually normal to be nervous when called upon to speak to an audience. You are not the only person in this situation. However, you have to understand that public speaking is inevitable. No matter how hard you try to dodge it. you will definitely have to face it some day.

You have to begin to make concerted effort to master the art of public speaking. The first thing you should do is that you have to commit wholeheartedly to overcoming the fear. You should begin with talking to your friends and your classmate in school. You can start from making little announcements in front of people. When you make mistakes, they will laugh at you, but understand that they are your mates and it is better they laugh at you now than you embarrass yourself in a bigger stage later in the future.

DON'T shy away from it. Embrace it. Read books on public speaking, make friends with good public speakers in your area. I am very sure if you do all these things you will grow over it.

I wish you the best.

3 Likes

Re: Help. Nervous Speaking In The Public by Onyi4live(m): 4:37pm On Jul 24, 2015
christinie:
It happens to me too.

What have done to far to abate the menace
Re: Help. Nervous Speaking In The Public by Onyi4live(m): 7:34pm On Jul 24, 2015
naijaedutech:
It's actually normal to be nervous when called upon to speak to an audience. You are not the only person in this situation. However, you have to understand that public speaking is inevitable. No matter how hard you try to dodge it. you will definitely have to face it some day.

You have to begin to make concerted effort to master the art of public speaking. The first thing you should do is that you have to commit wholeheartedly to overcoming the fear. You should begin with talking to your friends and your classmate in school. You can start from making little announcements in front of people. When you make mistakes, they will laugh at you, but understand that they are your mates and it is better they laugh at you now than you embarrass yourself in a bigger stage later in the future.

DON'T shy away from it. Embrace it. Read books on public speaking, make friends with good public speakers in your area. I am very sure if you do all these things you will grow over it.

I wish you the best.

Thanks.

I read pretty much books on combating it but no way. I pray i will get over it. This is my 31 now and are still suffering from such nonsense.
Re: Help. Nervous Speaking In The Public by ksbusari(m): 8:42pm On Jul 24, 2015
U r better than most members of d audience,they wanna learn frm u, u r on d same level wit others. Few that knws better than u wanna learn more. Av dis in mind. U r good to go.

1 Like

Re: Help. Nervous Speaking In The Public by simdam500(m): 10:15pm On Jul 24, 2015
Are u Sheldon Cooper from the big bang theory? cheesy

On my path what I do is; I tell myself if I'm ever going to be a leader someday as I've promised myself to be... I should learn the ability to approach, digest and relax. #myRules

Ability to approach is the act of speaking fluently in the midst of people regardless of who is going to castigate you and find fault in what you say. Besides remember you have what they want to hear, which is the speech you have to pass across and they have no choice than to listen.

But before then __________________
So start by:
practicing with your friends and family,...
prepare for the best (not the worst).
Have an idea of everything.
Be social.

1 Like

Re: Help. Nervous Speaking In The Public by callydon(m): 3:57am On Jul 25, 2015
D best way to fight dt stage freight is by boosting ur CONFIDENCE, and how do u boost ur confidence

Know d topic u r abt to talk about like d palms of ur hand, believe me there's no other confidence booster than that. When you know dt u know what u are abt to say, u are fired up to say it fluently.
Another trick is to look d audience on their heads (do this only when u are on a podium or a stage), if u av a close friend in d audience look him in d face or look at d face of people who are in d back whom u can't really recognize their faces. But if ur babe is in d audience, DO NOT LOOK AT HER OOH (else u might start thinking abt what happened last night n forget what u wanted to say).
Re: Help. Nervous Speaking In The Public by christinie(f): 7:43am On Jul 25, 2015
Onyi4live:

What have done to far to abate the menace
I have no choice than to fight it. I am a State Counsel. I go to court to defend the Govt so let's say am getting used to it now, but am still naturally shy, very shy.
Re: Help. Nervous Speaking In The Public by callydon(m): 9:27am On Jul 25, 2015
christinie:
I have no choice than to fight it. I am a State Counsel. I go to court to defend the Govt so let's say am getting used to it now, but am still naturally shy, very shy.
Believe me u CAN NEVER BE MORE SHY THAN ME, though I've not overcome my shyness, but with d above method I stated earlier, I was able to speak in public.
Re: Help. Nervous Speaking In The Public by christinie(f): 11:15am On Jul 25, 2015
callydon:

Believe me u CAN NEVER BE MORE SHY THAN ME, though I've not overcome my shyness, but with d above method I stated earlier, I was able to speak in public.
We gonna keep pushing.

(1) (Reply)

Project Topics And Materials In Political Science / Should I Accept The Admission Given To Me By College Of Education. / List Of Scholarships For International Students With January 2016 Deadline

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.