Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,683 members, 7,801,966 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:08 AM

Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? (35832 Views)

Apply For Shell Nigeria (snepco) Scholarship For Master’s Degree In UK / 180k Job Offer (fresh Graduate) Or Paid Master Degree In Canada By Parent? / Which Master's Degree Programme Is Best (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by adorablelove: 2:19pm On Jul 25, 2015
My dear like u said"connection" that is the key, my little advise is that if the little money u saved during NYSC can fetch u a very lucrative bizness.... Start something first,,,,,,,,,u can go for ur master later,master is not a criteria to get job !!!!!!!! .be wise
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by noblegrex: 2:21pm On Jul 25, 2015
shaiba:
It actually depends on which section of the labor market u re looking at. My little experience in the construction industry shows that employment most times are based on years of experience and the certification for that skill. In the oil and gas section it is based on your school qualification and experience. I would suggest you learn a skill and back it up with a certification (if any) while you are still searching for a job. on the other hand do business but first study that business very well.
your head dey there,bt in additional add serious prayer your time is near.
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Sammyramires(m): 2:26pm On Jul 25, 2015
I think only prayer can help us as graduate and not Masters or what have you.... Immediately I returned from NYSC Scheme I went back to talent utilisation.... I'm a footballer but i've not gotten a Clubside despite my talent and the hardwork I put into the game.... EVERYTHING IS NOW EITHER GOD OR PEOPLE'S INFLUENCE... My parent are there expecting the fruit of their labour, while i'm here toiling in search of a football Club where my potential can be realised. But all to no avail... #08108690319 is my number if God has touch someone's heart to help me in this Football Career... Thanks

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by nebukadnezzari(m): 2:27pm On Jul 25, 2015
SCREW THE LABOUR MARKET AND dO WHAT YOU LOVE FOR MONEY.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by sheyihandsy(m): 2:29pm On Jul 25, 2015
Sammyramires:
I think only prayer can help us as graduate and not Masters or what have you.... Immediately I returned from NYSC Scheme I went back to talent utilisation.... I'm a footballer but i've not gotten a Clubside despite my talent and the hardwork I put into the game.... EVERYTHING IS NOW EITHER GOD OR PEOPLE'S INFLUENCE... My parent are there expecting the fruit of their labour, while i'm here toiling in search of a football Club where my potential can be realised without result #08108690319 is my number if God has touch someone's heart to help me in this Football Career... Thanks
. LOL

2 Likes

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by henricson(m): 2:29pm On Jul 25, 2015
temb:
I recently just concluded my nysc this July and have since been trying to secure a job...Now I have been sending many applications since February but still no luck...

The question now is that if I acquire a masters degree, would that guarantee me a job in Nigeria...or everything is based on connection, because I am really confused. don't know whether I should use the little money I saved up during my nysc to pursue masters or I should keep on the job hunt.....

I would appreciate good advice from experienced people here and lastly I graduated with a 2.2 in the dept of metallurgical and materials engineering.

Not at all!
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Positiveminds(m): 2:31pm On Jul 25, 2015
There are questions you need to answer to enable take the right decision. What do you want? Who do you want to be? Are you out to be wealthy and rich? The you want fame? You must be open to yourself in answering these and many more questions.

If your plan is to live wealthy, rich and independent, start with skill acquisition. Attach yourself to private organizations from where you can acquire skills.As you do this, get professional certifications. Start to build your world, as you set up your business.

If your plan is to be famous, go for the masters programme and make inroads to lecturing in schools.

2 Likes

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by ddjay: 2:31pm On Jul 25, 2015
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by norekan05: 2:31pm On Jul 25, 2015
[quote author=temb post=36250473]I recently just concluded my nysc this July and have since been trying to secure a job...Now I have been sending many applications since February but still no luck...

The question now is that if I acquire a masters degree, would that guarantee me a job in Nigeria...or everything is based on connection, because I am really confused. don't know whether I should use the little money I saved up during my nysc to pursue masters or I should keep on the job hunt.....

I would appreciate good advice from experienced people here and lastly I graduated with a 2.2 in the dept of metallurgical and materials engineering.Its well bro
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by ddjay: 2:34pm On Jul 25, 2015
temb:
I recently just concluded my nysc this July and have since been trying to secure a job...Now I have been sending many applications since February but still no luck...

I would appreciate good advice from experienced people here and lastly I graduated with a 2.2 in the dept of metallurgical and materials engineering.

In nigeria,there are only two ways (no other
addition) of getting a job
1) By the Grace of God
2) By connection (of course through Gods Grace).
After all many of those big boys & girls in nnpc,cbn
& co entered with BSc.

1 Like

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Kossyne(m): 2:35pm On Jul 25, 2015
Op, the information you provided in your post is not enough to give you a sound advice but be that as it may I ll try as much as possible to chip in something.
how attractive is your CV?
From your post I deduced that you are yet to be invited for any interview or job test (correct me if I am wrong). Maybe the problem is not your class of degree but your CV. How good is your CV? Does it portray you in good light before prospective employers? Is it filled with grammatical blunders? Is it properly formatted? Your CV speaks volume of who you really are when you are not there therefore I ll advise you to work on your CV first. Consult professional CV writers if need be.

How good is your communication skill?...yeah you heard me right. How good is your spoken and written English?..Even if you succeed in getting invited for an interview and your communication skill is poor, your chances of landing the job is slim. Work on your communication skill, read books, get a dictionary, enroll for an English class or get a private tutor if you have to.

What other soft skills can you boast of?
How is your analytical skill, leadership, teamwork and interpersonal skill ?..You need this skill if you are to function effectively in a work place.

What did you do during your Service Year?
Most employers know that job seekers especially for entry level positions have little or no work experience so they use the activities you engage yourself in during your service year to evaluate your work ethics and level of commitment to organizational and personal growth.

IT Skills and other Hard skills
Are you a computer literate? Pls don't feel insulted by this question if you are. It will amaze you to know that a good number of graduates don't know what "right-click" means. Yes it is that bad! Are there softwares, IT certifications that are relevenat to your career?. Go for them.

Internship, Volunteer Jobs and Research Works.
I ll advise you to lay emphasis on experience and skills you acquired during your internship since it has been proven that experience topples certificate. Highlight volunteer jobs you ve taken during vacations. Also research works and your final year project( if it is any good) can work miracles for you.

Networking is also an alternative
It has worked for some peeps. You never can tell where your miracle might come from.

Please none of these is a guarantee to securing that dream job but it will go a long way to improve your chances. Remember the aim is to get you to interviews first. I'm not totally ruling out the masters. A masters is very good to have but it is not a prerequisite for being hired for an entry level positions. Goodluck

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by lacum: 2:41pm On Jul 25, 2015
DoTheNeedful:
You dont need a masters to get most entry level jobs in Nigeria. However,having a master betters you chances of getting one. There is an extreme competition outside there and believe me,everything is an advantage.
My PG qualification stood me out at the interview for my current employment. I was told after I got it. As a matter of fact,the same organisation posted an advert a year after I got mine for a similar position and indicated boldly that a masters degree is a strong advantage.
Good luck wink
what kind of job did u get with ur pgd.
i also hv it but still jobless
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by DoTheNeedful: 2:46pm On Jul 25, 2015
lacum:

what kind of job did u get with ur pgd.
i also hv it but still jobless
I did masters not pdg. Just be positive and open minded and keep trying you will get one soon

1 Like

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Chevinsmedia: 2:48pm On Jul 25, 2015
It all depends on ur financial back-drop. I won't advice u to use ur NYSC petty savings to pursue MSc or go for certification. If u hv other sponsors, u can go for MSc. As 4 certifications, they are now over-rated. It used to be the in thing, but z now obsolete. This is bc most of these courses are crash programs (1-2) wks & cost u some good hundreds of thousands ;specially meant for field professionals & not a fresher without a career path. I had a first hand experience. Not saying i won't & may not secure a job with it though. My advice: acquire some skills and experience relevant to ur desired career path, maybe by taking up graduate internship position with little or no pay. While this z on, u still cast ur net in d market, make good networks, smtn may pop up. U can also take up MSc only if u have a good financial base, & still apply for openings during ur MSc; who knows u may land ur first job when u're still on ur MSc. Finally, don't look down on petty skills & biz u c around u. That's d nigerian factor, u know. Entrepreneurship. Finally, congrats for a successful service to ur father land; we passed out together.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by africandictator(m): 2:52pm On Jul 25, 2015
temb:

university of lagos right??
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by benELOHIM7(m): 2:54pm On Jul 25, 2015
Hyper85:
My guy, I ve got a masters degree with distinction, but it dint give me a job until I added Certifications and experience to it. Though I started very small even with my Msc. Having an Msc is not a waste actually especially if its in engineering, I know people who have made it with M.Eng and u can even have a lucrative career in academics with a gud M.Eng. However adding Certifications can be cheaper and can yield immediate dividends but its no guarantee (I have seen guys with Nebosh and Bosiet) with no job, and I don't even have both though I will by next year, my Msc gave me an edge. [/b]In summary, God alone guarantees job not degree or certifications[b]. An Msc will come in handy in d future but u can get some certifications, and rewrite ur CV to best potray ur skills then distribute it online to recruitment firms like jobberman, joblink etc. I hope this helps
case closed

2 Likes

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by nkemjacob2(m): 2:55pm On Jul 25, 2015
My dear go and do business, u end up sendin endless application which good job will neva come, there is no job in the country. Am not wishin bad luck. If u have parent that will sponsor go and do ur masters
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by 2rutalk1: 2:57pm On Jul 25, 2015
Masters degree will surely give you a competitive advantage in the labour market. I have M.Sc degree in Economics and I can tell you convincingly that there is a great opportunity gap between now(with Msc) and then(without Msc). However, make sure you have the means (finance & time) of running the programme. Msc can be so frustrating especially when you combine it with job. About 20% of Msc students in Nigeria drop out of school yearly due to the frustrating nature of the programme. Perhaps, like I said earlier, it is worth having if you have the means. Even some HR persons will treat you differently during job interview. I am talking from experience. Go for it and make sure you make at least a PhD grade. In that, getting Assistant lecturing job will not be a difficult task. Some federal Universities like UNILAG accepts minimum of 4.0CGPA, while some accept 3.5 for PhD admission. So most schools will consider that before giving you a job as an Assistant lecturer because it is expected of you to upgrade to PhD level in future to be qualified as a full lecturer. Thanks.

5 Likes

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by ednut1(m): 2:58pm On Jul 25, 2015
hell no. if u hv no experience masters and bsc dey same level
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by ademasta(m): 2:58pm On Jul 25, 2015
temb:

I guessed you are an abusite
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by asala1: 3:01pm On Jul 25, 2015
Bros, instead of starting your MSc, why not go for a professional course will give you a better opportunity to secure a job and give you a nice career path. Due to your background, if you have the fund go for professional courses in Welding, Corrosion or Non-destructive Testing. There are lots of opportunities is these area.

1 Like

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by 2rutalk1: 3:03pm On Jul 25, 2015
ednut1:
hell no. if u hv no experience masters and bsc dey same level
Stop saying what you don't know. I think you should strive to get an MSc first for you to know the difference.

1 Like

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Nobody: 3:05pm On Jul 25, 2015
My guy go ahead and do Ūя̲̅ Msc its better than searching for job... If u stay @ home searching for job u will end up wasting the time that u could have use it doing masters... Ūя̲̅ class mates in Masters may be well conected even to fix u in a job even b4 u finish Ūя̲̅ masters..... No matter what starting an Msc degree if far better than staying and serching for job... And I advice u go 2 universities that have most connected individuals as PG students I know of Univ of Abuja, Nasarawa state University Keffi (they re still selling PG form) there are a lot in the south that I m not aware of.......... I was in 400level micro biology, I got an admission 2 read Medicine with Bauchi state govt scholership I dump my Micro biology to accept the medicine offer.... @ the end of my medical course a lot of my course metes of microbiology are still jobless so be wise in Ūя̲̅ decision.......... What I considered was that if I had refused the medicine offer may be I would have still been jobless

11 Likes

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Nobody: 3:17pm On Jul 25, 2015
with God...
Do you live in Akwa Ibom State? Do you relish the desire to own your own business with little start up capital and promising returns in investment? Do you hope to look into the mirror each morning and know you are talking to the boss? Are you enterprising?/Would you love to be? Do you have an aptitude for thinking out of the box? Then call or add me up on whatsapp 08085188110. You will be glad you did
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by aligeee(m): 3:19pm On Jul 25, 2015
My candid advice would be that you go for the M.Sc. if you have the means and try your hands on some certifications. Goodluck
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by temb: 3:25pm On Jul 25, 2015
Kossyne:
Op, the information you provided in your post is not enough to give you a sound advice but be that as it may I ll try as much as possible to chip in something.

From your post I deduced that you are yet to be invited for any interview or job test (correct me if I am wrong). Maybe the problem is not your class of degree but your CV. How good is your CV? Does it portray you in good light before prospective employers? Is it filled with grammatical blunders? Is it properly formatted? Your CV speaks volume of who you really are when you are not there therefore I ll advise you to work on your CV first. Consult professional CV writers if need be.

How good is your communication skill?...yeah you heard me right. Your ability to effectively
so far so good...I HV done 4 aptitude test...2 at which I lost due to d fact dat I did nt graduate with a 2.1...n d oder 2 I failed, as 4 d CV u have a very good and well formatted CV, no blunders n my communication skill is excellent... u can c from my write up
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Nobody: 3:26pm On Jul 25, 2015
Combine both the job hunting and your Master programme. In Nigeria,your Master degree is an hindrance to your job hunt. Still satisfy your quest for more knowledge. Don't just use your money for job search or else you will regret not doing your Master.

1 Like

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Laredojohn(m): 3:27pm On Jul 25, 2015
Most people have told u this, ama do same, for your field, go for extra professional training , for your field of study that's all you need, masters will be too academic u need practical training ...that's what's sell for engineering, masters is just wash wash,
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by ednut1(m): 3:30pm On Jul 25, 2015
2rutalk1:

Stop saying what you don't know. I think you should strive to get an MSc first for you to know the difference.
look at dis one i hv been involved in entry level recruitments wit shell,honeywell,deliotte, stanbic ibtc, and many other companies. i hv ican, some pple had uk masters and still failed test or interview. while pple wit jst bsc got in. wat difference are u talking about if u hv no experience msc is useless. no talk wetin u no sabi. i was armed wit a strong 2.1 and ican wen i landed in d job market. was tagged hot cake. wetin my eye see no be here ok
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jul 25, 2015
If you have a sponsor, go for your Msc.. it's better than staying at home waiting for an imaginary job.. You can still be job hunting while at it... Then with 2-2, a Msc will be a boost and give you higher chances of being shortlisted for jobs in this era of first class and 2-1...

you can still consider professional qualifications. .

However, if you have a good business idea, I suggest you channel the money into it instead. . Business is the bomb now..
Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by Nobody: 3:33pm On Jul 25, 2015
ednut1:
look at dis one i hv been involved wit entry level recruitments wit shell,honeywell,deliotte, stanbic ibtc, and many other companies. i hv ican, some pple had uk masters and still failed test or interview. while pple wit jst bsc got in. wat difference are u talking about if u hv no experience msc is useless. no talk wetin u no sabi
Everyone knows experience is the koko but Since he has no means of getting experience, should he remain at home and job hunt till God knows when undecided

Also I think some companies like haliburton accept 2-2 with masters/professional qualifications. . I have seen such in some other advertisements. ..

1 Like

Re: Will A Master's Degree Improve One's Employment Prospect? by jesussaves22: 3:33pm On Jul 25, 2015
You don't need masters or phd but you need grace. Whose grace?? The grace and mercy of God almighty. I was in your shoes 2012 after service but my case is worst than yours because I pick a masters form, get admission but couldn't pay my school fees so I stopped. My friends started and finished the masters. But immediately the father of mercy and grace remembered me this year January with a B.sc in Health Education I got a more than well to do FG job. I will give my testimony in nairaland very soon. My brother it is not he that willeth or he that runner but God that shower mercy. I wish you Gods grace and mercy in your job search.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Man Meets His Boss At Job Interview He Attended After Taking A Sick Leave / BBM Group For Unadvertised Job Vacancies! / Npower 2017 Pre-selected Applicant Who Has Done Physica Verification Successfuly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.