Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,205 members, 7,807,690 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting (27656 Views)

Death Of Tompolo’s Father Threatens Ceasefire In Niger Delta / Crack In Militants Camp Widens / Photos Of Tompolo's Shrine And House In Delta (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by Nobody: 9:55am On Jul 25, 2015
Security concern sparked by opposition from several stakeholders yesterday forced the cancellation of a meeting of the Movement for the Emancipation of the Niger Delta (MEND) called for today in Yenagoa,Bayelsa State,by former creek warlord, Government Ekpemupolo popularly known as Tompolo.

Governor Seriake Dickson, in a terse statement signed by his Chief Press Secretary, Mr. Daniel Iworsio-Markson, yesterday, asked Tompolo to shelve the gathering.

This came against the backdrop of threats of boycott by the e-militants like Victor Ben Ebikabowei, popularly known as Boyloaf,Africa, Pastor Reuben, Shoot-at-Sight, Ogunboss, Ateke Tom, Farrah and many other former ‘generals’, and ‘commanders’.

Spokesman for MEND ,Jomo Gbomo, said the group would have nothing to do with Tompolo or any “assembly of dubious contractors and disgruntled elements.”

Tompolo , in a last minute effort to rally support for the now doomed meeting ,it was aimed at deepening the prevailing peace in the Niger Delta.

The governor, however, proposed an alternative forum for the ex-militant leaders at a later date.

He promised to meet with them personally to discuss issues affecting them and other matters of overall strategic interest of the region and the country.

He called for their understanding and cooperation.

Signs that all was not well in the ex-militants’ camp emerged early yesterday after reports from the camps of Boyloaf and others suggested resistance to what they perceived as an attempt by Tompolo to lord it over the rest of them.

Sources close to them said they had agreed to stay away from Tompolo’s gathering but would attend any other meeting to be called by the governor.

Most of them were reportedly angry with Tompolo for summoning the meeting without adequate consultations.

They were said to be unhappy that the former militant commander fondly referred to as the “General Officer Commanding (GOC)” was trying to impose himself on them as leader whereas “they are all equals”.

They are also said to be of the view that it is too early to begin to assess President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration and his plans for the region.

A source close to Boyloaf said: “Boyloaf will not attend the meeting. He has also called on security agencies to be at alert to avert any breakdown of law and order. Apart from him, many other notable ex-militant leaders will not be there.

“It is expected that Africa, Pastor Reuben, Shoot-at-Sight, Ogunboss, Ateke Tom, Farrah and many other former ‘generals’, and ‘commanders’ will boycott the event”.

MEND, in an online statement by its Spokesman, Jomo Gbomo, dissociated itself from Tompolo and his meeting.

It said the gathering was to react on behalf of oil thieves and corrupt officials of the past administration of Goodluck Jonathan.

It affirmed its support for President Muhammadu Buhari and “ his government’s courage to probe the administration of ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, which should also include the office of the former President, the ex-First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan, and the Niger Delta Amnesty Programme.”

MEND also restated its commitment to the Niger Delta struggle, which it said had no relationship with seeking political appointments, power or contracts.

The Nation gathered that had already been placed on alert to monitor the activities of the ex-militant leaders.

A top military officer said security agencies would not tolerate the use of gatherings to beach the peace in the region.

“We are monitoring the activities of the ex-militant leaders who have scheduled a meeting in Yenagoa. We are to going to allow anybody under any guise to breach the peace in the region. For us, these people have embraced amnesty and will be made to account for any untoward action”, he said.

Shortly before the meeting was called off yesterday,Tompolo issued a statement in Warri to allay fears that it was s meant to restart war in the region.

He said contrary to the perception in some quarters, the meeting was aimed at deepening the prevailing peace in the area.

He described fears over the meeting as diversionary.

His words: “The tension generated by the meeting is uncalled for, diversionary and mischievous as no evil is intended in whatever form.

“Calling off today’s meeting can also be an option if need be, in order to strengthen our belief in a peaceful Niger Delta.

“I am compelled to clarify issues as they relate to the meeting of the leadership of ex-agitators under the platform of MEND and other organisations summoned at my instance.

“The nation would recall that in the build up to the Amnesty offer of the late president, Alhaji Umaru Musa Yar’Adua, there was hesitance on the part of most of Niger Delta agitators until God in His infinite mercy, granted me wisdom to provide leadership.

“The nation will also recall that under the Amnesty programme as inherited by the immediate past president, Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, relative peace was enjoyed even as security of lives and property was enhanced to an appreciable level.

“Also, oil production increased from 700,000 barrels per day to 2.5million barrels per day. Put simply, hitherto aggrieved Niger-Delta youths who inadvertently became agi tators, upon the acceptance of the Amnesty offer, refrained from armed agitation to face normal urban life.”

He said the meeting was to douse tension generated by delay in the payment of the monthly stipend to former militants and their foot soldiers by the Federal Government.

He said:”While some of us understand to an extent, the apparent delay in the continued payment of the monthly stipend to the ex-agitators in view of the seeming scrutiny of government agencies, including the Amnesty Office by the current administration, same cannot be said of the majority of beneficiaries of the Amnesty programme.

“To this extent, some of us, particularly myself and other leaders have been under intense pressure from ex-agitators commanders, individuals, parents and guardians as well as communities who are beneficiaries of the Amnesty programme.

“While a few see the delay in the payment of their monthly stipends in the light of the need for the current government to settle in properly, others see the delay as a template to stop the programme. The expulsion of some students (home and overseas) by their schools and training institutions particularly has heightened these fears.

“Hence, I thought it wise that a meeting of the collegiate leadership of the platform under which we operated as agitators could be convened to appraise the situation and possibly, explore means to douse the tension that is growing among the disarmed youths whose stipends (training allowances and tuition fees) have been delayed for months.

“This becomes more compelling in view of the fact that as leaders of the platform that served as midwife to the Amnesty offer, we owe the nation a duty to play our roles in order to stem a relapse of the relative peace in the Niger Delta Region.”

source:http://thenationonlineng.net/crack-in-militants-camp-forces-cancellation-of-tompolos-meeting/

1 Like

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by anonym0us: 10:02am On Jul 25, 2015
Op u for tell us say na ur research topic be this......(term paper)

WOW today is my first time of making FTC since I joined nairaland..... I need. 500 likes for nothing

22 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by Nobody: 10:03am On Jul 25, 2015
chai FP things making sense. I dedicate this to the Nigeria army rapists grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by Emekamex(m): 10:06am On Jul 25, 2015
Wetin concern me

1 Like

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by ola6: 10:09am On Jul 25, 2015
ROMFL!!!!

grin grin grin grin grin grin

This Tompolo and Asari are only after their pocket not the peace and development of the Niger Delta. The Igbos are waiting for someone to fight their wars for them. This their Biafra cry is only because they feel they will be marginalised. I hope they are not though.

This life sha! POWER IS SO TRANSIENT!!! The Yorubas were marginalized and insulted by GEJ, Northerners were insulted day and night and Igbos filled all the positions (by the way, to the Igbos these positions were merited). Now the reverse is happening, Igbos now want Biafra and want the SS to help them achieve it by instigating the SS, turning it into a war zone while their SE remains intact.

I VOTED FOR GEJ but in life just because you don't have your way, it does not mean every other person must not have their way. All is fair. GEJ SHOULD HAVE USED HIS OPPORTUNITY BETTER!

As for TINUBU-OLE, your end is soon!

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by Dannyset(m): 10:18am On Jul 25, 2015
The mistake most of these people(Tompolo, Asari, Jonathan, Deziani, etc) made, was their greedy and stingy nature towards some of these militants. Ur stealing money, yet u refused to carry them along by engaging them just like u did to Tompolo and Asari. Now the guys want them probed.
Whatever rocks their boat tho!

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by ola6: 10:20am On Jul 25, 2015
Dannyset:
The mistake most these people(Tompolo, Asari, Jonathan, Deziani, etc) made, was their greedy and stingy nature towards some of these militants. Ur stealing money, yet u refused to carry them along by engaging them just like u did to Tompolo and Asari. Now the guys want them probed.
Whatever rocks their boat tho!

Abi oo!!! cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by Demmocrats(m): 10:20am On Jul 25, 2015
Wise words from the other militants that its too earlier to judge my sai buhari on his plans for Niger delta
www.

5 Likes

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by Demmocrats(m): 10:21am On Jul 25, 2015
I take a bow for this militants, they knew officials are corrupt so they strongly agree in probing the corrupt once instead of been used to start another set of bombing.
www.

11 Likes

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by DaBullIT(m): 10:35am On Jul 25, 2015
I wont be surprised if i hear that These Touts left African continent and never to return grin grin

1 Like

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by Nobody: 10:39am On Jul 25, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin lolz
DaBullIT:
I wont be surprised if i hear that These Touts left African continent and never to return grin grin
Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by franchizy(m): 10:43am On Jul 25, 2015
S and SE are chest beaters. Only make noise online.
I trust our military will silence them as they have silenced Nnamdi kalu and his clueless followers called Biafra.

11 Likes

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by themonk(m): 10:44am On Jul 25, 2015
why is the government so afraid of these men?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by themonk(m): 10:45am On Jul 25, 2015
franchizy:
I trust our military will silence them as they have silenced Nnamdi kalu and his clueless followers called Biafra.
just like they silenced boko haram.

25 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by Nobody: 10:47am On Jul 25, 2015
franchizy:
wetin concern Biafra with this thread? don't allow this snake visit you tonight

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by Beremx(f): 10:53am On Jul 25, 2015
Spokesman for MEND ,Jomo Gbomo, said the group would have nothing to do with Tompolo or any “assembly of dubious contractors and disgruntled elements.”
cc: Stebell

6 Likes

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by herongeri: 12:25pm On Jul 25, 2015
this is very serious, Government can use that advantage
Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by UnknownT: 12:26pm On Jul 25, 2015
I saw Farah's name there, he is now a House of Assembly member. Hon. Farah Dagogo no more militant Farah Dagogo.
For me, I will say let's maintain status quo. Let government not attack militants in the guise of hunting bunkerers and let the militants not try blowing up any oil installation. Let peace reign in the Delta, so we will know its only in the NorthEast we have problems.

7 Likes

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by ojemglo(m): 12:26pm On Jul 25, 2015
REALLY ME WON ATTEND THAT MEETING OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,PLS SHOULD I CANCEL MY FLIGHT TICKET? ADVICE PLEASE grin

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jul 25, 2015
Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by alaoeri: 12:27pm On Jul 25, 2015
The era of cluelessness is over, any militant that doesn't behave will find himself on the other side besides they have acquired so much wealth & can't afford creek's way of life again.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by haffaze777(m): 12:27pm On Jul 25, 2015
h
Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by seedorfg(m): 12:27pm On Jul 25, 2015
The devil that will scatter those militant is still doing press up, una neber chi chom chee

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by Christianwalase: 12:29pm On Jul 25, 2015
As i dey read this long epistle, i come fall asleep

1 Like

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by Bjergtrolde: 12:29pm On Jul 25, 2015
This so called meeting can be added to the list of great tactical blunders. I am glad it has been shelved.
You are trying to present a common front against a government, who like every other organisation and individuals is aware of how deadly
your "bite" can be. Are you not giving the a heads up to "arrest/detain" all of you at that meeting?

1 Like

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by softmind24: 12:30pm On Jul 25, 2015
It seems everybody in Niger delta is a General

General this General that alll in the name of selfishness

Abeg where is General dokunbo

7 Likes

Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by mekanaky: 12:31pm On Jul 25, 2015
currently i am in the meeting
Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by koife(m): 12:31pm On Jul 25, 2015
That is how meaningful state government should act. They weigh in before its late instead of blaming the centr#leadership
Re: Crack In Militants’ Camp Forces Cancellation Of Tompolo’s Meeting by Nobody: 12:32pm On Jul 25, 2015
may be Jonathan favored tompolo more than the others and they are aggrieved.

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fuel Scarcity: APC Write Nigerians / Dino Melaye’s Name Missing From ABU Alumni Website-Punch / JUST IN: 2019: Wike Threatens PDP, Presidential Aspirants Over Convention Venue

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.