Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,010 members, 7,806,940 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:23 AM

I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! (2167 Views)

Evolution Of Phone Size In Nearest Future (picture) / The type of phone you use is a reflection of who you are. / Some Places Where Use Of Phone Is Prohibited But People Dont Obey (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by Epistemology(f): 12:23pm On Jul 25, 2015
I want to get an android phone, the truth is, i know nothing about phones embarassed , I would really appreciate your suggestions...............
I don't have much money o... The price should be between 17k-20k.. Thanks cheesy
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by khalhokage(m): 12:29pm On Jul 25, 2015
Check Konga or something, even if you don't buy from them at least you'll get an idea of the phones your money can buy.
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by claycares: 5:54pm On Jul 25, 2015
Epistemology:
I want to get an android phone, the truth is, i know nothing about phones embarassed , I would really appreciate your suggestions...............
I don't have much money o... The price should be between 17k-20k.. Thanks cheesy
Buy a premium device like HTC, Samsung, etc or something with at least 2GB ram don't settle for these Chinese phones everybody is carrying around for security reasons.
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by DGenerale: 8:26pm On Jul 25, 2015
claycares:
Buy a premium device like HTC, Samsung, etc or something with at least 2GB ram don't settle for these Chinese phones everybody is carrying around for security reasons.
which security reason?
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by claycares: 6:44am On Jul 31, 2015
DGenerale:
which security reason?
Search for middle man exploit on Android and other security flaw. Those OEM hardly update their devices which exposes them security flaws.
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by Craven: 10:19am On Jul 31, 2015
claycares:

HTC or Samsung phones with at least 2GB of RAM cost higher than N20,000.
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by Craven: 10:46am On Jul 31, 2015
Hello Epistemology

I never recommend brands like Tecno, Gionee, Infinix for anyone to buy. The reason is these brands, despite the fact that they are very cheap, come with lots of complications. You cannot predict them. I've read a lot of users vent their disappointment.

I'd recommend other brands to you, but they might be a little bit higher than your price range. If you have a few thousand naira to spare, then the following options might be good for you.

Samsung Galaxy Core. Samsung Galaxy Core II. Samsung Galaxy Ace 4. Samsung Galaxy J100. These phones all cost between N22,000 and N25,000. I should add that because they are cheap, their features also come cheap. None of them has a good camera or a good battery or a good display. Although their features might be manageable if you don't plan on putting the devices to heavy usage.

If you are a heavy phone user and you like to take clear and bright pictures, if you also like long-lasting batteries and sleek designs, then the phones listed above are not for you. In fact, you would hardly find a device around N20,000 that offers you a good battery, a good camera, good CPU, clear display, all at the same time.

If you are not bothered by any of those characteristics, then you can get one of those Samsung devices.
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by rapthugx(m): 6:52am On Aug 01, 2015
Craven:
Hello Epistemology

I never recommend brands like Tecno, Gionee, Infinix for anyone to buy. The reason is these brands, despite the fact that they are very cheap, come with lots of complications. You cannot predict them. I've read a lot of users vent their disappointment.

I'd recommend other brands to you, but they might be a little bit higher than your price range. If you have a few thousand naira to spare, then the following options might be good for you.

Samsung Galaxy Core. Samsung Galaxy Core II. Samsung Galaxy Ace 4. Samsung Galaxy J100. These phones all cost between N22,000 and N25,000. I should add that because they are cheap, their features also come cheap. None of them has a good camera or a good battery or a good display. Although their features might be manageable if you don't plan on putting the devices to heavy usage.

If you are a heavy phone user and you like to take clear and bright pictures, if you also like long-lasting batteries and sleek designs, then the phones listed above are not for you. In fact, you would hardly find a device around N20,000 that offers you a good battery, a good camera, good CPU, clear display, all at the same time.

If you are not bothered by any of those characteristics, then you can get one of those Samsung devices.
Bros, if I hv a budget of say 35k which phone will u recommend? Thanks.
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by Craven: 8:13am On Aug 01, 2015
rapthugx:
Bros, if I hv a budget of say 35k which phone will u recommend? Thanks.

LG Nexus 4 E960 - It has a True HD IPS Plus capacitive touchscreen, which is very clear. The screen size is 4.7 inches which is just a little under 5.0 inches. It comes with Corning Gorilla Glass 2 for protection against scratches and cracks. There is also the fact that this is a Google Nexus device. With Nexus phones you get a pure Android experience. This translates to mean that you get updates and bug fixes months earlier than any other Android device. The LG Nexus 4 can be upgraded to Android OS v5.1 (Lollipop, a recent upgrade). It has an 8MP primary camera and a 1.3MP secondary camera. RAM is at 2GB, which is very good for heavy apps. The 2100mAh non-removable battery is fair if you can live with a power pack. The only downside is this phone does not come with an expandable storage. You get either 8GB or 16GB of internal memory. There is no memory card slot. The LG Nexus 4 costs a around N35,000.

Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime - This is a 5.0 inch screen with a very poor display. The TFT capacitive touchscreen takes a toll on your battery power. It doesn't come with screen protection, so you're liable to have scratches and cracks. You have the same 8MP secondary camera as the LG Nexus 4, but unlike the LG Nexus 4, you have a 5MP front camera which is perfect for taking selfies. The Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime comes with Android KitKat. But at 1GB this phone comes with a small RAM. If you aren't a serious app user, you'll be fine. You also have an expandable storage (memory card slot) and a 2600 mAh battery. The price tag is N35,000.

HTC Desire 616 - A 5.0 inch screen with a fairly okay display. The same 8MP camera as the LG Nexus 4 and the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. A 2MP front facing camera. RAM is 1GB, which is poor if you are a heavy app user. Internal storage is also poor at 4GB, but it is expandable to 32GB through the use of a memory card. Battery is 2000mAh. The HTC Desire 616 comes with Android OS v4.2.2 (Jelly Bean, an outdated version, which is very old) and costs N34,000.

Sony Xperia E4 - This phone costs N31,000. And for it's price, it has a good display. You have a scratch-resistant glass. A 5.0 inches screen. It comes with a 1GB RAM, which is manageable, and an 8GB internal memory that can be expanded to 32GB with the use of a memory card. It has a fairly good 5MP camera at the back and a 2MP camera in front. Lastly, it runs on Android KitKat and has a 2300mAh non-removable battery. This means you cannot get to the battery, the back of the phone is sealed shut. But it's not a problem. If you ever intend to change your phone battery in the future, you can always take it to an after-sales shop as they have all the equipments to take out a non-removable battery.

If I were to pick amongst these three devices, I'd go for the Nexus. It seems like the perfect device in this price range and offers good features. A higher RAM, a Lollipop upgrade, if you are willing to download it - otherwise you're stuck with Jelly Bean. It also has a very clear display. The only thing I hate about it is the poor storage that cannot be expanded. But other than that, it's a brilliant phone. My second choice would be Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. Third choice would be Sony Xperia E4. I don't like HTC Desire 616 much because it comes with an old version of Android that cannot be upgraded.

3 Likes

Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by Favparis(f): 8:18am On Aug 01, 2015
claycares:

Is samsung not a Chinese company? Don't samsung manufacture Chinese version of Samsung Galaxy series? What do u mean by 'All These Chinese phones'?

Stop being biased. Samsung has a brand and nothing else Dat's special abt dem.

What does samsung device has that no other chinese device has?
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by Craven: 8:47am On Aug 01, 2015
Favparis:

Is samsung not a Chinese company? Don't samsung manufacture Chinese version of Samsung Galaxy series? What do u mean by 'All These Chinese phones'?

Samsung is a South Korean company. And I'll tell you what's special about them; Samsung is a trusted company. It is why people will rate them higher over these small brands. It's not being bias, it's being honest. Samsung products have been around for many years, and as a result, have garnered a wide following. People know what Samsung offers through their devices, they know what to expect. Same goes for brands like Nokia, Sony, HTC.

I never recommend Gionee, Infinix and the likes to anyone because they tend to have problems in the future. People complain about phone temperature, battery power, unresponsive displays, poor hardware. You know it. It's something I've seen in abundance on here. These brands are only available in Africa, they aren't known in other parts of the world. They recognize their target market; people who do not like to spend too much on gadgets; and they supply their products to them accordingly. And so you get your cheap phone, but you forget that the materials used in building them are also cheap. That's why many people end up complaining about them. I understand that there are a few good phones amongst them, but can anyone speak of their durability?

There are indeed better Chinese brands that serve as competition to Samsung. Xaiomi is an example. Elephone. OnePlus. Huawei. Oppo. ZTE. Meizu. If these brands were available in Nigeria, I'd surely consider them.

Your Infinix, Gionee, Tecno, are nothing compared to these Chinese products. No one outside of Africa recognizes these products. And I'm not being bias, just honest. Sorry.

Read about the top Chinese Android products here.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015/06/top-10-best-android-chinese-smartphones-june-2015-edition.html&sa=U&ved=0CBMQFjADahUKEwjf57_VrYfHAhXTNIgKHbs-A-M&usg=AFQjCNE5_YRdFdI9DDTHtWFjetmGJHWkIA - https://www.androidpit.com/best-chinese-android-smartphones?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C4790699626

3 Likes

Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by claycares: 9:03am On Aug 01, 2015
Favparis:

Please I'm not the guy chasing you with cutlass in your nightmare last night.

Off course all hardware including Samsung are manufactured in China and other MEA countries. I don't agree with you that the difference is Samsung having only a brand name, it goes beyond that my dear and I don't think you know much about this area. To hold your views will be very myopic and shortsightedness.

Before s6, Samsung devices uses Qualcomm system on a chip (SoC, in simple language, processor, CPU) and not Mediatek, the processors you find in other Chinese brands. The Qualcomm brand is known as the king in Android parlance in the area of efficiency, you can google that for better understanding. In addition to the SoC, the graphic processing unit (GPU) you find in Qualcomm processors is the Adreno brand not the Mali GPU. You can Google the performance of these GPUs and report what you find. There are other hardware issues that I may want to elaborate on but time will not permit. Like the very weak modem attached to the Mediatek SoC, Foxconn built quality of the premium device against these Chinese phones,etc. Also note that, no Google device from the time of HTC Dream 1 to the Nexus 6 has used a SoC other than Qualcomm, why is this so?

The importance of the above hardware config is performance of the OS and apps which are the primary reasons we use smartphones. Just yesterday I was playing with my colleagues Infinix Note pro and I realised that I couldn't multitask and the network signal on my phone was just 2 bars while my friend's phone keeps losing and regaining signal. Basically, I tried to use 3 apps - IG, Twitter and FB moving from one to the other after every 3 minutes and I discovered that the apps keep restarting each time I switch instead of taking me back to the state I was when I last used that particular app.
For the records, I'm using an HTC 2013 flagship.

Another area is the OS and open sourcing firmware codes. Android is an opensource platform, Qualcomm releases its SoC codes for developers to work with but Mediatek does not and that's why you can't find roms and custom roms for all these Chinese phones.

Last for now is the issue of software security update. Almost all of us now transact via mobile platforms. How would you feel when you're informed that somebody was in the middle between your smartphone and your bank phishing your card details. Those guys do it everyday and sell those info, there's a market for it online. The issue is that Mediatek hardly comply and most of the unknown to small name brands don't offer those security update services. But Sony, HTC and other known brands issue small updates almost immediately to protect the users including platform update like moving from Kitkat to Lollipop.

Questions for you, I have a 2013 flagship device from HTC and I have the latest Android update 5.1 lollipop. Can you point me to any 2013 device from these Chinese phone makers that has similar update? Why can't these companies use the Qualcomm SoC? I'd love to read your views.

1 Like

Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by Craven: 9:21am On Aug 01, 2015
claycares

I think people who do not understand what Samsung and other brands has to offer would go for basic Chinese phones. And I can understand that too. These phones are exceedingly cheap. But with the appealing price range, people tend to lose sight of what they're giving up.

I usually tell people, if you want more in a phone and best Android services, you have to be willing to spend more. And if you can't, that's also okay.

1 Like

Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by claycares: 9:28am On Aug 01, 2015
Craven:

Samsung is a South Korean company. And I'll tell you what's special about them; Samsung is a trusted company. It is why people will rate them higher over these small brands. It's not being bias, it's being honest. Samsung products have been around for many years, and as a result, have garnered a wide following. People know what Samsung offers through their devices, they know what to expect. Same goes for brands like Nokia, Sony, HTC.

I never recommend Gionee, Infinix and the likes to anyone because they tend to have problems in the future. People complain about phone temperature, battery power, unresponsive displays, poor hardware. You know it. It's something I've seen in abundance on here. These brands are only available in Africa, they aren't known in other parts of the world. They recognize their target market; people who do not like to spend too much on gadgets; and they supply their products to them accordingly. And so you get your cheap phone, but you forget that the materials used in building them are also cheap. That's why many people end up complaining about them. I understand that there are a few good phones amongst them, but can anyone speak of their durability?

There are indeed better Chinese brands that serve as competition to Samsung. Xaiomi is an example. Elephone. OnePlus. Huawei. Oppo. ZTE. Meizu. If these brands were available in Nigeria, I'd surely consider them.

Your Infinix, Gionee, Tecno, are nothing compared to these Chinese products. No one outside of Africa recognizes these products. And I'm not being bias, just honest. Sorry.

Read about the top Chinese Android products here.

http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015/06/top-10-best-android-chinese-smartphones-june-2015-edition.html&sa=U&ved=0CBMQFjADahUKEwjf57_VrYfHAhXTNIgKHbs-A-M&usg=AFQjCNE5_YRdFdI9DDTHtWFjetmGJHWkIA - https://www.androidpit.com/best-chinese-android-smartphones?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C4790699626

Thank you Craven for the user perspective. Most of these OEM don't even know about the security issues and because we have a very bad regulatory body in this part of the world, everything comes in as a dumping ground to feed the people who are yearning for cheap phones. The truth is that they are ripoffs not just cheap because Xaomi manufactures at similar pricing but with good built quality and better hardware. Another funny thing is that non of these OEM like the names you mentioned has thought of partnering with Google on its Android One project.
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by rapthugx(m): 9:28am On Aug 01, 2015
Craven:

LG Nexus 4 E960 - It has a True HD IPS Plus capacitive touchscreen, which is very clear. The screen size is 4.7 inches which is just a little under 5.0 inches. It comes with Corning Gorilla Glass 2 for protection against scratches and cracks. There is also the fact that this is a Google Nexus device. With Nexus phones you get a pure Android experience. This translates to mean that you get updates and bug fixes months earlier than any other Android device. The LG Nexus 4 can be upgraded to Android OS v5.1 (Lollipop, a recent upgrade). It has an 8MP primary camera and a 1.3MP secondary camera. RAM is at 2GB, which is very good for heavy apps. The 2100mAh non-removable battery is fair if you can live with a power pack. The only downside is this phone does not come with an expandable storage. You get either 8GB or 16GB of internal memory. There is no memory card slot. The LG Nexus 4 costs a around N35,000.

Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime - This is a 5.0 inch screen with a very poor display. The TFT capacitive touchscreen takes a toll on your battery power. It doesn't come with screen protection, so you're liable to have scratches and cracks. You have the same 8MP secondary camera as the LG Nexus 4, but unlike the LG Nexus 4, you have a 5MP front camera which is perfect for taking selfies. The Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime comes with Android KitKat. But at 1GB this phone comes with a small RAM. If you aren't a serious app user, you'll be fine. You also have an expandable storage (memory card slot) and a 2600 mAh battery. The price tag is N35,000.

HTC Desire 616 - A 5.0 inch screen with a fairly okay display. The same 8MP camera as the LG Nexus 4 and the Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. A 2MP front facing camera. RAM is 1GB, which is poor if you are a heavy app user. Internal storage is also poor at 4GB, but it is expandable to 32GB through the use of a memory card. Battery is 2000mAh. The HTC Desire 616 comes with Android OS v4.2.2 (Jelly Bean, an outdated version, which is very old) and costs N34,000.

Sony Xperia E4 - This phone costs N31,000. And for it's price, it has a good display. You have a scratch-resistant glass. A 5.0 inches screen. It comes with a 1GB RAM, which is manageable, and an 8GB internal memory that can be expanded to 32GB with the use of a memory card. It has a fairly good 5MP camera at the back and a 2MP camera in front. Lastly, it runs on Android KitKat and has a 2300mAh non-removable battery. This means you cannot get to the battery, the back of the phone is sealed shut. But it's not a problem. If you ever intend to change your phone battery in the future, you can always take it to an after-sales shop as they have all the equipments to take out a non-removable battery.

If I were to pick amongst these three devices, I'd go for the Nexus. It seems like the perfect device in this price range and offers good features. A higher RAM, a Lollipop upgrade, if you are willing to download it - otherwise you're stuck with Jelly Bean. It also has a very clear display. The only thing I hate about it is the poor storage that cannot be expanded. But other than that, it's a brilliant phone. My second choice would be Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime. Third choice would be Sony Xperia E4. I don't like HTC Desire 616 much because it comes with an old version of Android that cannot be upgraded.
Thanks so much for your detailed analysis. How will u rate lumia 540 with these phones considering d fact tht they are in same price range. Thnks once more.
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by claycares: 9:34am On Aug 01, 2015
Yeah Craven, true talk. Favparis is actually trying to sell her phone on another thread, so I believe she understands smiley
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by sorextee(m): 9:43am On Aug 01, 2015
I suggest bb10... esp the z30... android is a leaked(os)/open.. neva been a fan of it.. if u re more conscious about security, ur sensitive data, I recommend bb10, ios nd maybe lumia.. since u talk say d money wey dey ur hand small, go for q5 or q10.. even the Chinese guys that manufacture Tecno, Gionee, Huawei, etc, do flood our office to buy the iPhone 6 nd BlackBerry Passport... i dont see dem using their fones(judging by those that come to our office).. it means dey don't trust their products... they make Nigeria a haven for substandard phones....

But if u still wan go for android, I suggest samsung, HTC nd Xperia products..
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by Craven: 9:48am On Aug 01, 2015
rapthugx:
Thanks so much for your detailed analysis. How will u rate lumia 540 with these phones considering d fact tht they are in same price range. Thnks once more.

Ah! Windows Phone devices.

If there's one thing I appreciate about Microsoft Lumia, it's the durability of the phones, the battery power, and the good camera. My Lumia phone has fallen several times and each time I pick it up, I am always surprised that the screen is still intact. And the camera also. My phone comes with a 6.7MP camera with Carl Zeiss optics, I zoom in on the pictures I take and I can see the patterns on my skin. The battery power is also great.

My only problem is with the OS. For me, Windows Phone has gotten boring with time. The main issue is the app gap compared to Android devices. There aren't many apps available on Windows Phone. And even when they finally become available, they come very late. App updates also come later than their Android mates. For example, while the Android version of WhatsApp got the call feature months ago, the Windows Phone version got it's update only last month. BBM for Windows Phone also has this problem; some features are missing. I also find the User Interface to be boring. You can't customize the look and feel of your phone much. There is no Launcher to customize your themes, like you have with a Android.

There's a new Windows 10 Mobile update coming soon. This update might solve all the problems of Windows Phone 8.1 and improve user experience. You might want to read about it.

But the Lumia 540 is a good phone. 5.0 inch screen. 8MP camera behind and 5MP camera in front for very clear selfies (I've used it). You also have a very good battery and a clear display. I should also add that the Lumia 540 is amongst the first set of Lumia phones to receive the Windows 10 Mobile update. That's a good thing.
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by Tinyemeka(m): 11:40am On Aug 01, 2015
Craven:
claycares

I think people who do not understand what Samsung and other brands has to offer would go for basic Chinese phones. And I can understand that too. These phones are exceedingly cheap. But with the appealing price range, people tend to lose sight of what they're giving up.

I usually tell people, if you want more in a phone and best Android services, you have to be willing to spend more. And if you can't, that's also okay.

Chief I suspect my phone and laptop security has been seriously compromised. Whenever I turn on the phone data connection, it rapidly begins to overheat and run down the battery. This does not happen with other activities like watching videos or playing music. Just the data connection does this. And when I use the mobile hot spot to browse on my laptop, same thing happens to the laptop (system overtasking, overheating, etc). Recently, ad popups have been coming on indiscriminately even within posts on Nairaland. Then I noticed so many redirects running in the background whenever I open new tabs. I tried using Internet Explorer and it crashed. Same with Mozilla.

The phone is a Samsung S2. My Norton Internet security expired and I haven't renewed.

P.S. I saw that your comment about man-in-the middle hacking and visited one site describing the process. Was I attacked therein?

Any suggestions on how to correct this issue?

Thanks.
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by Favparis(f): 1:08pm On Aug 01, 2015
claycares:
Please I'm not the guy chasing you with cutlass in your nightmare last night.

Off course all hardware including Samsung are manufactured in China and other MEA countries. I don't agree with you that the difference is Samsung having only a brand name, it goes beyond that my dear and I don't think you know much about this area. To hold your views will be very myopic and shortsightedness.

Before s6, Samsung devices uses Qualcomm system on a chip (SoC, in simple language, processor, CPU) and not Mediatek, the processors you find in other Chinese brands. The Qualcomm brand is known as the king in Android parlance in the area of efficiency, you can google that for better understanding. In addition to the SoC, the graphic processing unit (GPU) you find in Qualcomm processors is the Adreno brand not the Mali GPU. You can Google the performance of these GPUs and report what you find. There are other hardware issues that I may want to elaborate on but time will not permit. Like the very weak modem attached to the Mediatek SoC, Foxconn built quality of the premium device against these Chinese phones,etc. Also note that, no Google device from the time of HTC Dream 1 to the Nexus 6 has used a SoC other than Qualcomm, why is this so?

The importance of the above hardware config is performance of the OS and apps which are the primary reasons we use smartphones. Just yesterday I was playing with my colleagues Infinix Note pro and I realised that I couldn't multitask and the network signal on my phone was just 2 bars while my friend's phone keeps losing and regaining signal. Basically, I tried to use 3 apps - IG, Twitter and FB moving from one to the other after every 3 minutes and I discovered that the apps keep restarting each time I switch instead of taking me back to the state I was when I last used that particular app.
For the records, I'm using an HTC 2013 flagship.

Another area is the OS and open sourcing firmware codes. Android is an opensource platform, Qualcomm releases its SoC codes for developers to work with but Mediatek does not and that's why you can't find roms and custom roms for all these Chinese phones.

Last for now is the issue of software security update. Almost all of us now transact via mobile platforms. How would you feel when you're informed that somebody was in the middle between your smartphone and your bank phishing your card details. Those guys do it everyday and sell those info, there's a market for it online. The issue is that Mediatek hardly comply and most of the unknown to small name brands don't offer those security update services. But Sony, HTC and other known brands issue small updates almost immediately to protect the users including platform update like moving from Kitkat to Lollipop.

Questions for you, I have a 2013 flagship device from HTC and I have the latest Android update 5.1 lollipop. Can you point me to any 2013 device from these Chinese phone makers that has similar update? Why can't these companies use the Qualcomm SoC? I'd love to read your views.

How did u know u had such dream last nyt? U must be d guy dat chased me wit cut glass.......

Ur review is quite ok......
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by Craven: 2:14pm On Aug 01, 2015
Tinyemeka:

Chief I suspect my phone and laptop security has been seriously compromised. Whenever I turn on the phone data connection, it rapidly begins to overheat and run down the battery. This does not happen with other activities like watching videos or playing music. Just the data connection does this. And when I use the mobile hot spot to browse on my laptop, same thing happens to the laptop (system overtasking, overheating, etc). Recently, ad popups have been coming on indiscriminately even within posts on Nairaland. Then I noticed so many redirects running in the background whenever I open new tabs. I tried using Internet Explorer and it crashed. Same with Mozilla.

The phone is a Samsung S2. My Norton Internet security expired and I haven't renewed.

P.S. I saw that your comment about man-in-the middle hacking and visited one site describing the process. Was I attacked therein?

Any suggestions on how to correct this issue?

Thanks.

I'm sorry, I do not know much about phone and laptop security to be able to help you. I also do not recall participating in a thread about man-in-the-middle hacking.

With respect to the pop-up ads troubling you on your laptop, it might have to do with the fact that your security software has expired. It could also mean you might have downloaded some sort of program that comes with troubling pop-up ads. Read here for help - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-block-pop-ups-get-rid-of-pop-ups-in-windows-7-windows-8-3494487/

I suggest you visit an after-sales shop to deal with your Samsung Galaxy S2. Visit @TeamSuperGeeks on Twitter and ask questions.
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by Tinyemeka(m): 7:26pm On Aug 01, 2015
Craven:

I'm sorry, I do not know much about phone and laptop security to be able to help you. I also do not recall participating in a thread about man-in-the-middle hacking.

With respect to the pop-up ads troubling you on your laptop, it might have to do with the fact that your security software has expired. It could also mean you might have downloaded some sort of program that comes with troubling pop-up ads. Read here for help - http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/windows/how-block-pop-ups-get-rid-of-pop-ups-in-windows-7-windows-8-3494487/

I suggest you visit an after-sales shop to deal with your Samsung Galaxy S2. Visit @TeamSuperGeeks on Twitter and ask questions.
Kk. Thanks. Would do just that.
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by rapthugx(m): 6:10am On Aug 02, 2015
Craven:

Ah! Windows Phone devices.

If there's one thing I appreciate about Microsoft Lumia, it's the durability of the phones, the battery power, and the good camera. My Lumia phone has fallen several times and each time I pick it up, I am always surprised that the screen is still intact. And the camera also. My phone comes with a 6.7MP camera with Carl Zeiss optics, I zoom in on the pictures I take and I can see the patterns on my skin. The battery power is also great.

My only problem is with the OS. For me, Windows Phone has gotten boring with time. The main issue is the app gap compared to Android devices. There aren't many apps available on Windows Phone. And even when they finally become available, they come very late. App updates also come later than their Android mates. For example, while the Android version of WhatsApp got the call feature months ago, the Windows Phone version got it's update only last month. BBM for Windows Phone also has this problem; some features are missing. I also find the User Interface to be boring. You can't customize the look and feel of your phone much. There is no Launcher to customize your themes, like you have with a Android.

There's a new Windows 10 Mobile update coming soon. This update might solve all the problems of Windows Phone 8.1 and improve user experience. You might want to read about it.

But the Lumia 540 is a good phone. 5.0 inch screen. 8MP camera behind and 5MP camera in front for very clear selfies (I've used it). You also have a very good battery and a clear display. I should also add that the Lumia 540 is amongst the first set of Lumia phones to receive the Windows 10 Mobile update. That's a good thing.
Thank you so much for your time. You have made my choice easier.
Re: I Need Suggestions On The Type Of Phone To Buy': HELP!! by Craven: 9:55am On Aug 02, 2015
rapthugx:
Thank you so much for your time. You have made my choice easier.

You are welcome.

(1) (Reply)

Wow Here Is The Latest Smart Phone It1702 By Itel Group / The New Whatsapp Gold: Reasons You Shouldn’t Upgrade So Soon / BUYER BEWARE Tecno Marketers Using Multiple Profiles To Publicize Products

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 111
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.