Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,663 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 06:58 PM

How To Get Jobs In Canada - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How To Get Jobs In Canada (64802 Views)

"There Are No Jobs In Dubai, Nigerians Don't Be Deceived" (Photos/video) / How To Get Jobs In USA / My Funny Jjc Experience In Canada........ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Get Jobs In Canada by NeedYou(m): 7:52pm On Jul 25, 2015
A friend of mine is working towards relocating to canada. (nice decision though).
He has nobody to stay with but he is trusting God for breakthrough when he gets there. (quite a risk).
Please this question falls on those who have had canada experience or knows much about the country. I don't know the advice to give my friend but u guys help me out.

1. Are there jobs for foreigners (that can sustain anyone and ofcos keep savings)?
2. What should be his BTA target (since he knows nobody there to accommodate him for a while)?
3. Is it a good decision to make (leaving Nigeria for canada (witot any work provision or accommodation availability?)
4. What kind of job should he be scouting for that can make things easier for him?
5. Which of the cities should he be directing his plans to?eg toronto, ontario etc

I'd be most grateful if these questions are made available
God bless you all

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by DoroMega: 7:53pm On Jul 25, 2015
Its wild out there

4 Likes

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by NeedYou(m): 7:57pm On Jul 25, 2015
DoroMega:
Its wild out there
But it's more convenient?
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Nobody: 2:39am On Jul 26, 2015
What type of visa is he going with?
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by NeedYou(m): 5:44am On Jul 26, 2015
honey86:
What type of visa is he going with?
IV

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Nobody: 6:12am On Jul 26, 2015
What's IV?.
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by NeedYou(m): 6:22am On Jul 26, 2015
honey86:
What's IV?.
Letter of invitation
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by justwise(m): 6:25am On Jul 26, 2015
NeedYou:

Letter of invitation

Is IV a visa? Or you are referring to visiting/tourists visa?

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by NeedYou(m): 6:28am On Jul 26, 2015
justwise:

Is IV a visa? Or you are referring to visiting/tourists visa?

Yes my brother, visiting.. after which he will process for an extension
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by justwise(m): 6:33am On Jul 26, 2015
NeedYou:

Yes my brother, visiting.. after which he will process for an extension

You can't legally work with visiting visa, it's illegal and against the immigration rule

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by NeedYou(m): 6:41am On Jul 26, 2015
justwise:

You can't legally work with visiting visa, it's illegal and against the immigration rule

Ah! Really! So what advice can u give? How can he get there and work
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by justwise(m): 6:51am On Jul 26, 2015
NeedYou:

Ah! Really! So what advice can u give? How can he get there and work

justwise:

You really don't want to hear the truth, this is exactly why people get scammed

3 Likes

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by NeedYou(m): 6:54am On Jul 26, 2015
justwise:
[/b]

You really don't want to hear the truth, this is exactly why people get scammed
What other way of securing a visa should he go for. Give the truth. U'd save someone the pain

1 Like

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by justwise(m): 6:55am On Jul 26, 2015
NeedYou:

What other way of securing a visa should he go for. Give the truth. U'd save someone the pain

https://www.nairaland.com/1279130/canadian-federal-skilled-worker-program-timelines

5 Likes

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Nobody: 7:43am On Jul 26, 2015
@needyou being an illegal in Canada is not worth it. Na suffer head. Everything is tied to your SOcial insurance number, to rent house as an immigrant, the landlord will ask for your intl passport. Your friend is better off staying in Naija till he can get the means to stay in Canada legally.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by benjibabs(m): 1:55am On Jul 27, 2015
Yes, you cannot work in canada with visitor visa, and that includes even taxi driving or anything at all to make money. If your friend has the money to visit, he should visit for the experience. If his plan is to wipe out his life savings and even borrow money to travel, he is better off staying home. Life in a foreign land without papers his hard, very hard. By the way, there is no amount of visitor visa extension that will convert him to permanent resident. He will still have to go through immigration process.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by NeedYou(m): 6:30am On Jul 27, 2015
benjibabs:
Yes, you cannot work in canada with visitor visa, and that includes even taxi driving or anything at all to make money. If your friend has the money to visit, he should visit for the experience. If his plan is to wipe out his life savings and even borrow money to travel, he is better off staying home. Life in a foreign land without papers his hard, very hard. By the way, there is no amount of visitor visa extension that will convert him to permanent resident. He will still have to go through immigration process.

Thanks for this great advice. Right now, the main plan is to relocate to canada and work. Since visitor visa cannot do it, what kind of visa should he apply for.

Can business visa do it? If yes, what are the steps?
Thanks
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Nobody: 1:11pm On Jul 27, 2015
NeedYou:

Thanks for this great advice. Right now, the main plan is to relocate to canada and work. Since visitor visa cannot do it, what kind of visa should he apply for.

Can business visa do it? If yes, what are the steps?
Thanks

Immigration is the MOST RELIABLE way to get PR in any country.

Since he is interested in Canada, he can try the Express Entry system. A lot of people are succeeding through that route. It may be a difficult and long process, but it's the surest way to get PR and a good job fast enough.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

Alternatively, he could apply for a study visa, and while studying look for a job that could help him process his PR. That one is a bit tricky, but it works too . . . if you are lucky.

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Afam4eva(m): 1:55pm On Jul 27, 2015
justwise:

I also presume that one with a study visa has a limited working hours. Is it possible to convert a study visa to a work visa?

1 Like

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by benjibabs(m): 4:32pm On Jul 27, 2015
Afam4eva:

I also presume that one with a study visa has a limited working hours. Is it possible to convert a study visa to a work visa?

Correct, study visa has limited working hours. No, there is nothing like conversion of visa. To work full time, you have to be either a permanent resident or a citizen and that will take you back to the immigration process.
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by benjibabs(m): 4:50pm On Jul 27, 2015
Ujoan:

Immigration is the MOST RELIABLE way to get PR in any country.

Since he is interested in Canada, he can try the Express Entry system. A lot of people are succeeding through that route. It may be a difficult and long process, but it's the surest way to get PR and a good job fast enough.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/index.asp

Alternatively, he could apply for a study visa, and while studying look for a job that could help him process his PR. That one is a bit tricky, but it works too . . . if you are lucky.

Spot on!

That website is all you need. Follow the steps there to the letter and if you are eligible and have all they asked for, you are sure to get the visa. Yes, it is a long process but with patient and tenacity, you will get there. Three pieces of advice I'd give ya:

1.) Read the instructions and follow the steps as stated on the site. The instructions are very simple and straightforward; you will actually need someone to help you to miss it.
2.) Don't use any agent, lawyer etc They are not able to influence the embassy's decision. All they do is to submit your document for you and get you updates - you can do all that yourself. There are exceptions to this if your case is complicated.
3.) Start putting money aside in your account, you will need a lot of it for the application and to convince them that you are able to immigrate without becoming a liability to their system. This is very important.

Good luck!

cool

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Afam4eva(m): 5:24pm On Jul 27, 2015
benjibabs:

Correct, study visa has limited working hours. No, there is nothing like conversion of visa. To work full time, you have to be either a permanent resident or a citizen and that will take you back to the immigration process.

Let me rephrase my question. How can one become a permanent resident while on a study visa.
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by benjibabs(m): 6:12pm On Jul 27, 2015
Afam4eva:

Let me rephrase my question. How can one become a permanent resident while on a study visa.

As an international student studying in Canada, you are considered a temporary resident. The Canadian government expects that you will leave Canada once you have completed your studies. However, there are several permanent resident categories that you may fit into, including the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Worker Program, and the Provincial Nominee Program.

Some of those categories require eligible Canadian work experience. If you want to work in Canada after you graduate from your studies, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program.

See details below where I did "copy & paste" from . . . wink cheesy grin

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/study.asp#stay

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Afam4eva(m): 6:36pm On Jul 27, 2015
benjibabs:

As an international student studying in Canada, you are considered a temporary resident. The Canadian government expects that you will leave Canada once you have completed your studies. However, there are several permanent resident categories that you may fit into, including the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Worker Program, and the Provincial Nominee Program.

Some of those categories require eligible Canadian work experience. If you want to work in Canada after you graduate from your studies, you must apply for a work permit under the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. I'll do some research. If you have any resource that will be helpful, I wouldn't mind. Thanks.

See details below where I did "copy & paste" from . . . wink cheesy grin

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/study.asp#stay
This Federal Skilled Work program has always tickled my fancy but when I researched about it, the application sounded long and enduring and it seems there is an atom of luck in it.

2 Likes

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Nobody: 5:11am On Jul 28, 2015
Afam4eva:

This Federal Skilled Work program has always tickled my fancy but when I researched about it, the application sounded long and enduring and it seems there is an atom of luck in it.
Bro. Nothing good comes easy. Despite how hard people say it is now, a friend of mine studying in the US still got an invitation to apply last month. So you just have to read up on it, If you can score above 400 points then give it s shot as there is a good chance you could be selected.
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by benjibabs(m): 6:18pm On Jul 28, 2015
Afam4eva:

Yes, it is long but not difficult; it is just lots of paper work. They basically want to know what you have been doing with your life since you turned 16. I've not heard about anyone being denied if eligible. Those that failed to get the visa are those that did not follow up. Just apply and go ahead with your life. When they reach out to you for addition info, provide it, and before you know it they will notify you your visa is ready. People get frustrated with the process when they suspend all they are doing and keep waiting for the immigration visa.

6 Likes

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by tiredof9ja: 10:05pm On Jul 28, 2015
Good evening, good people of nairaland. Please I need your assistance in the following areas as I am about to make a decision that have everything to do with MY LIFE: 1. Please can I get work in Canada with Temporary Residence Visa TRV. 2. Is it renewable there in Canada without coming back to 9ja? 3. Is it a good decision to make considering the fact that I am only going for a 3 months Training Program. PLEASE I NEED ANSWERS to this questions as soon as possible. God Bless...
Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by benjibabs(m): 12:59pm On Jul 29, 2015
tiredof9ja:
Good evening, good people of nairaland. Please I need your assistance in the following areas as I am about to make a decision that have everything to do with MY LIFE: 1. Please can I get work in Canada with Temporary Residence Visa TRV. 2. Is it renewable there in Canada without coming back to 9ja? 3. Is it a good decision to make considering the fact that I am only going for a 3 months Training Program. PLEASE I NEED ANSWERS to this questions as soon as possible. God Bless...

Your questions are already answered on this thread. Please read from the beginning. Also, you will find answers to your questions and more in the Government of Canada site below:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/index.asp

cool

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Get Jobs In Canada by Tay16(f): 1:18pm On Jul 29, 2015
lol there are a billion threads on Canada on NL

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

What Night Life In Port Harcourt Looks Like (Pics, Video) / This Is Oba, Anambra State (Pictures, Video) / Lady Gets Deported For Traveling With The New Nigerian Passport (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.