Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,859 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:27 AM

Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa (24797 Views)

Religion Is Very Important And I'm Not Atheist - Mark Zuckerberg, Fbk Founder / 6 Reasons Sunday School Is Important In Your Christian Life (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by urheme: 11:12pm On Jul 27, 2015
chibecanglobal:
But the big question we shld be asking ourselves is wether religion has overstayed its welcome.

Of cos it has,
Religion is yet another dangerous weapon for the scam and trick expart including the ruling class, and if left unregulated will lead to another world war.

This thing is like a cancer that will eventually eat up the whole world.

2 Likes

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by urheme: 11:20pm On Jul 27, 2015
italo:

Now you're the one trying to brainwash me and force your doctrine down my throat.

Why are you hysteric?

The Catholic Church never did this to me.

It only showed me the way...I found, on my own that it was true, and I freely choose to be Catholic.

I love this guy

Well grounded in his faith, your confident and composure make me wanna be a catholic but am not convinced.

I still detaste religion as it is now.

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Nobody: 5:32am On Jul 28, 2015
menesheh:
There is need to ridicule any of such ideas that is causing more harm to humanity and human civilization, boko haram, ISIS, sex abuse and molestation by priest, discrimination against women and numerous others.

Leo Igwe, your efforts is highly appreciated but you Can't do it alone. Africa is such ignorance, poverty consumed and bonehead sort of people.
On point, nice 1

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by ghananotnaija(m): 5:34am On Jul 28, 2015
OP and all of you agreeing with him, shame on you o! I fear for your souls and the eternal torment that awaits you if you do not renounce all idols and man-made ideologies and accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour.

First the west pushes homosexuality and now atheism / secularism! They've never admitted the defeat of colonialism. Only God can save Africa!
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by anonimi: 5:36am On Jul 28, 2015
Good, great thread.

Thanks OP.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by anonimi: 5:42am On Jul 28, 2015
ghananotnaija:
OP and all of you agreeing with him, shame on you o! I fear for your souls and the eternal torment that awaits you if you do not renounce all idols and man-made ideologies and accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour.

First the west pushes homosexuality and now atheism / secularism! They've never admitted the defeat of colonialism. Only God can save Africa!

Which God- the one brought by the white man (the west pushes homosexuality and now atheism / secularism!) or the one of our ancestors that the white man labelled Idol

I hope you can reflect deeply on the quote below from Acts 17 when Paul preached in Athens, Greece.

22 Then Paul stood in the midst of Mars' hill, and said, Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you.

From: http://www.christnotes.org/bible.php?q=Acts+17%3A+22-23&ver=kjv

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by LuckyLadolce(m): 5:56am On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

What is this "glory"...and when did we have it in the past?
Thanks . Am bothered when the guy mentioned glory. I need to know that glory.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by engrshakespeare: 5:56am On Jul 28, 2015
[quote author=afroniger post=36284100]

Any religion that tells you it's either her way or "hell fire", or that unless you adhere to its precepts your "sins" can't be forgiven is a brainwashing cult, or that unless your marriage is endorsed by their authority then it is invald, etc. Such dogma-based organizations encourage people to submit their individuality on the alter of religious cohesion and mind control. They prey on human fear of death and the after life.[/quote

The more u speak, the clearer ur ignorance. The societies like China that claim to be atheists are even more morally bankrupt. All d aforementioned vices not caused by imbibing religion but by violating it.

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by LuckyLadolce(m): 5:59am On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

When was this? When was the advent of religion? Who created religion? Which "God" do you speak of? How did you get to know about this "God?" What is man's purpose in life?
gbam! GOD bless you
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by azimibraun: 6:04am On Jul 28, 2015
The much I know is that modern muslims and Christians are standing on one corner while the Bible and Koran are standing on their own in another corner and in btween them are Pastors and Imams both wicked creatures preventing the Christian and the Muslim access to the "TRUE" messages of the holy books. The Pastor and the Imams both " PREACHERS" of the holy books have mutilated "GOD'S" messages in the holy books and now preach them to suit their own purposes as against those of GOD. Christians wealth wealth....Breakthrough as against Salvation. Muslims Kill Kill Violence as against Peace and salvation. My humble opinion should be understood as my opinion. And it goes further to state that I am talking about Majority of Pastors and Imams.

2 Likes

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Ybnm4life(m): 6:11am On Jul 28, 2015
Leo Igwe, your efforts is highly appreciated but you Can't do it alone. Africa is such ignorance, poverty consumed and bonehead sort of people. [/quote]
With due respect, I believe that Africans are great people who beleives in life after death I.e Heaven and Hell and in the existence of One Almighty Being and Creator who demands our constant praise and worship for existence here on this temporary abode we find ourselves...
True religion is a medium in which this can be carried out, so africans are free to believe in what they what to believe in and the op can believe in what he beleives in.
One thing that is certain and I repeat certain no matter what the op says is that there is an existence of heaven and hell in which we are going to be jugded....
The heart wants what it wants...
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Candybob(m): 6:15am On Jul 28, 2015
I think CRS and IRS should be removed from the primary and secondary school curricular and replaced with religious thought, where pupils are introduced to the numerous religion that exists all over the world and the philosophy behind this thoughts.
It should be designed in such a way that it does not portray any religion as better, just state the facts and avoid criticism.
This way they are made to understand that their Christianity or Islam is not some special discovery, and with this understanding they will begin to question their beliefs on their own.
Our education system as it stands is a breeding ground for indoctrination rather than enlightenment.
Give people knowledge and the shackles of dogma will be broken.

8 Likes

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by AAinEqGuinea: 6:21am On Jul 28, 2015
sonmvayina:
My guy you go just die before your time..concentrate more on improving yourself..it is a social construct that you cant fight.. you will become a pariah..Thomas paine who wrote the "the age of reason" died a lonely man..even your best friends and family will abandon you.

I know the feeling and it's not as bad as you think. It's not being anti-social when you are refusing to associate with modern fake and/or daft people. I don't care who they are. The book of Eli wink I know it's good to wear masks but I'm not good at faking smiles. Everyone goes to college but human stupidity and shallowness is somehow still on the rise

I love threads like this even though I subscribe to polytheism. My elders were/are Christians and they don't want to hear any alternate theories (even though many live a different story)
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:28am On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

In India, over 25,000 schools and colleges are operated by the Church

Yet India is a staunchly Hindu Country.

Why? because the Government, Healthcare, businesses etx.. is all run by Hindus!

3 Likes

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:30am On Jul 28, 2015
[size=28pt]THE GODS WILL RETURN TO NIGERIA!

MARK MY WORDS!

THE GODS WILL RETURN![/size]

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Nobody: 6:32am On Jul 28, 2015
SQLmastar:
What's za best religion to join .
I wanna change from atheism
Don't change.
Being an atheist is enlightening.
I'm proud to be one.

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:32am On Jul 28, 2015
[size=28pt]THERE MUST BE NO CONFUSION ON RELIGION!

FOLLOW THE RELIGION OF YOUR TRIBE AND OF YOUR ANCESTORS!

LIKE THE JAPS , HINDUS, CHINESE, ARABS,ETX.[/size]

3 Likes

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:34am On Jul 28, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:

Don't change.
Being an atheist is enlightening.
I'm proud to be one.

Very beautiful signature! The GODS bless you!

You have the true Pagan Spirit.

I hope you attend Ifa Festivals and Shrines?

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Nobody: 6:37am On Jul 28, 2015
afroniger:

Any religion that tells you it's either her way or "hell fire", or that unless you adhere to its precepts your "sins" can't be forgiven is a brainwashing cult, or that unless your marriage is endorsed by their authority then it is invald, etc. Such dogma-based organizations encourage people to submit their individuality on the alter of religious cohesion and mind control. They prey on human fear of death and the after life.

I LOVE YOU.

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Kcprof: 6:41am On Jul 28, 2015
I neva understood the effect Pls
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Janiwili(f): 6:47am On Jul 28, 2015
Our problem is not religion but our mindset

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by MAYOWAAK: 6:49am On Jul 28, 2015
There is no consensus on how we got to this 4.5 billion-year-old piece of real estate called the earth. The best estimate says that modern man showed up some 200,000 years ago. The only consensus is that the first series of questions that crossed the mind of the first group of men and women who saw themselves on earth were: who am I? Where am I? How did I get here? Who made me? Where am I going from here? These questions are the original questions.

The search for answers to these original questions started from the very point they were first asked. They have continued until this day. Every now and then, century after century, we come up with new answers different from the ones before. These answers are tweaked and tweaked, promoted and advertized, until they become a force of nature called religion.

To understand how helpless we are in the face of this force, imagine a baby brought home from the hospital by its parents. When the baby opens its eyes, it sees the parents. The parents feed and care for the baby. In no time the baby looks up to the parents, especially the mother. The baby holds the parents in awe for all they do for it including, putting a roof over its head. To babies parents are gods. The words of the parents are the religion of childhood.

With time the baby begins to see the world outside of its parents’ house. It begins to see other houses and other parents and begins to question its original thoughts about its parents. Even when the child finds out that its parents are not all that it made them to be, out of habit and out of fear that there are no replacement parents out there that will accept it as a natural born, the child sticks to its parents. That is why most children of unfit parents, jailed parents and absentia parents find it hard to denounce their parents.

All cultures throughout history have come up with their answers to those original questions. It doesn’t matter how primitive a culture is. They come up with a story and over time the story develops. Expanding on the story, each culture tries to provide a guide on how to live this life in accordance with their story. The guide takes care of questions around life and death amongst other things. That is when the story becomes a religion.

And each religion sticks with its story, even when events raise questions about the credibility of the story or outright prove the story wrong. Most practitioners of every religion would rather follow it until they died. They rather find out the truth when they die than abandon the religion of their birth. And die they do, the believers and their religion alike.

The history of the world over centuries is littered with dead religions, dead gods and dead worshipers. In some ways, we are all children of a retired god. Key events in the world always retire religions and their gods. Traumatic world events always prove the old religions inadequate. The coming of the Europeans, for instance, essentially laid to eternal rest a lot of the African gods. Other events and movements like the Enlightenment reform religion. Reformation extends the life of a religion. An irreformable religion is one that is bound to implode.

The tragedy of Africa is that it reached the information age without first passing through the industrial age. In matters temporal, Africa got to the modern age without passing through the Enlightenment. That is why some people believe that a child was born holding a mini-Koran in its hand, or that a child came out of the womb holding a cross in its hand. Why mini-Koran? Why a cross? Why something we already know? Why does this kind of phenomenon only happen in societies that wallow in superstition? If it is a message from God, as some believe, why won’t God use the opportunity to send a definitive manual of life?

The Enlightenment instituted the culture of demanding empirical proof before believing. If a woman comes into the church and gives birth to a dead horse, you don’t clean up the floor and bury the horse. You send the horse to the lab and the woman to the hospital- mental and/or medical.

Every religion that comes begets a new one. Two hundred years from now the people that will occupy this world will look at our era and our religions that we fight for and die for and call our age the Extreme Dark Ages. In another two hundred thousand years, nobody will remember what god we fought for, killed for, or died for. Just like we have no idea what god the people who were on this earth 100,000 years ago fought for, killed for or died for.

It is hard to imagine it now, but after the Third World War and after a nuclear war, a new world will emerge with new religions. The old religions left standing will go through reformation. And subtly and gradually, new religions will replace the old. Because it takes hundreds of years for this kind of transformation to be visible, it is hard for those living in that age to notice the change as it happens. We won’t wake up one day and notice that our religion is dead.

It is hard to live without the concept of God because it is hard to live without an answer to the original questions, even if it is not definitive. That is why many will stick with their religion as if it is their parents. Virtually all religions place God beyond reach- at times above the sky. Do you know why? If God is within reach, God will suffer the fate of all parents – be critiqued and be seen to have fallen short.

The trouble with religion is that for every religion to survive and gain members and fend off competitions, it has to proclaim itself to be better than the others. That my religion is better than yours is like saying that my moon is better than yours. That my God is better than yours is to say that my sun is better than yours.

To be willing to fight for your God- which is to say, kill and die for your God, is like to climb on top of each other to pull the moon until it stands still on your side of the sky. It may sound stupid but it has been done before and continues to be done.

Those who worshipped the Greek gods used to believe that they had the final answer. Those who worshipped Oduduwa used to think that their story of the creation was the ultimate. The highest level of human stupidity is the belief that our religion is the final answer to these original questions- who am I? Where did I come from? Where am I going? Who made me? The arrogance of that assumption has no equal in human folly.

Religions come and go but the earth remains the same. Until we know the definitive truth about the very beginning; and until we answer the original questions without a doubt, religion will remain attractive. But religion will continue to promise us that we find the answers only when we die. Science is the only one trying to find answers to these questions while we are still alive. And science is the only one trying to get to the very beginning and empirically show it to us for the very first time. It may take science one million years to get there.

12 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Misogynist2014(m): 6:55am On Jul 28, 2015
The perhaps deranged author fell into the same thing he was criticizing, holding extreme position (dogma) and the slavelike view of life that all is perfectly well with the west and Africa is suffering. The crazy author perhaps has not given me a tangible reason why Christianity should be exterminated (though that of islam can't be ignored) and how he became certain that there are neither heavens nor hell and JESUS nor muhammad existed. Trash!

2 Likes

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by chichriso: 7:01am On Jul 28, 2015
k
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by adejaresalami1(m): 7:04am On Jul 28, 2015
believe#team islam.........its so glaring am on the right path

1 Like

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by intrepid: 7:04am On Jul 28, 2015
I'm not surprised. Many people who criticize religion always think they are making sense but soon discover how pale and hollow their senseless argument is.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Horlufemi(m): 7:10am On Jul 28, 2015
There is a higher power, we don't connect to him, we have an opportunity to do so through Jesus.

Religion is the problem but Jesus is the answer.

Jesus > Religion.

You can't rule out spirituality, it's part and parcel of humanity and as such religion is man looking for God but Jesus is God reaching out to man. God even hates religion so therefore we need to hate religion too. Religion can make men not reach their potential or turn them to Atheists because God isn't in religion

Jesus > Religion this is the simple truth.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by Sheikwonder(m): 7:10am On Jul 28, 2015
@chibecanglobal,this is in response to your 1st post.

You make an argument about "criticizing religion" because of it's extremities.My question is,have you considered what the alternative would be like,i.e an irreligious society?
In your bid to get rid of religion,you fail to ignore it's benefits.The foundation of human laws are based on moral codes found in religious books,which is another way of saying that religion provides a moral compass.No religion,no laws.No laws,chaos!
True,certain extreme groups misinterprete holy books to suit their purposes,but that speaks to their inherent evil nature than to religion itself.Whether hell exists or not,it's supposed existence as at least helped to keep many people on the right path.Religion gives man a sense of purpose which admittedly may be abused,but it provides a legacy,which irreligious states do not have.As a matter of fact,all irreligious states are oppressive in nature...N.Korea,Cambodia,e.t.c....
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by ZUBY77(m): 7:16am On Jul 28, 2015
italo:

False. I belong to Catholicism, an organized religion, and it doesn't have the features you described above.

You're speaking out of ignorance.

Will you shut up and listen to Reason.
What makes Catholic better than others?
Just because you belong there, right?

They are all designed to brainwash you.
It doesn't mean that they don't have good features.

The point here is that they are full of blinding lies

2 Likes

Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by tevinsolt: 7:17am On Jul 28, 2015
afroniger:

Much of organized religion is based on brainwashing techniques that robs and inhibits the individual from maximizing his potential and developing his reasoning faculty. This explains why many religious people would rather "fast and pray" for success and "breakthrough" rather than undergoing self-improvement and working harder and smarter.

Organized religion preys on the average person's fear of the uncertainties of life -- it falsely promises a structured (though complex) explanation for human existence and purpose that defies reason and consequently imprisons the mind.

your argument are not new, in fact I used to spill similar nonsense when I was searching for the truth, and it was as a result of my shallow understanding. based on my research and dive into knowledge I have come to the conclusion theism makes more sense to me than agnosticism and or atheism. The situation of Africa is a reflection of the culture and tradition that has passed down that also kept those who came before us grounded so to say, and for this reason more technologically advanced religious Europeans were able to conquer them.
Re: Why Criticism Of Religion Is Important In Contemporary Africa by tevinsolt: 7:19am On Jul 28, 2015
PAGAN9JA:
THE GODS WILL RETURN TO NIGERIA!

MARK MY WORDS!

THE GODS WILL RETURN!

Oh yes and Zeus will visit Greece in the nearest future to save them from their economic depression.
can't wait.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

The Period Of Wet Sahara Connected To Genesis? Theories / Pastor Wiseman Delivers Lady Who Was Caught Stealing In Benue, Gift Her 250k / Today Is Prophet T.B. Joshua's 58th Posthumous Birthday

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.