Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,652 members, 7,801,899 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:46 AM

We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States (1106 Views)

Air Force Officials Attack Workers In Ilorin (Photos) / Buhari, Your Citizens Are Dying- Oby Ezekwesili / WAEC To Release Results Of Students In Debtor States Tomorrow (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by AnambraDota: 8:18am On Jul 26, 2015
www.punchng.com/news/we-are-dying-of-hunger-say-workers-in-debtor-states/
Almost 20 days after President Muhammadu Buhari issued a bailout of N713.7bn to end the lingering crisis of unpaid workers’ salaries in some states of the federation, respite has not come the way of many civil servants. On Wednesday, the governors denied seeking a bailout to help alleviate the salary backlog. Though some indebted states have cleared salary arrears of two or three months owed workers, tales of woes still trail civil servants whose salaries are still being withhold. Workers who spoke to SUNDAY PUNCH inundated our correspondents with different shades of plight forced on them by the paucity of fund brought about by the continuous withholding of their salaries by the various state governments that employed them. The situation, many of the civil servants told our correspondents, has forced them to take up menial jobs and other job different from their primary assignments to make ends meet while some have taken to selling their property and begging from friends, family members and neighbours. In Kwara State workers of the Kwara State University, Malete, have not been paid four months’ salaries. A similar situation obtains in other government institutions in the state like the Colleges of Education in Ilorin and Oro. At the Kwara State College of Education (Technical), Lafiagi, workers are owed one month salary while the staff of the Kwara State College of Arabic and Islamic Legal Studies have not been paid for two months. Workers of the local government councils are not left out. They are being owed between two and five months salaries depending on the affected council. Workers in the 16 Local Government Areas are currently on strike to press home their demand for the payment of their salary arrears. And this is as primary school teachers are being owed about three months’ salaries. A worker at the College of Education, Ilorin who for fear of victimisation simply identified herself as Bisi, said nine workers of the college had died between January and June while a worker lost his son about a week ago in Oro because of his inability to pay the medical bills of his ailing child. She said, “We are going through a lot of hardship because of the non-payment of our salaries. We cannot even feed ourselves. How then can we be efficient in our duties with empty stomach?” An employee of one of the LGs, Olesin Yekini, said workers in his LG have not been paid for about five months. “It has been hell. We have never gone through this type of financial difficulty for a very long time. Some of us have borrowed money from cooperative societies, our relatives, neighbours and friends to feed our families. We cannot borrow anymore as we have not repaid the ones we borrowed and it is not certain when we will be paid. To feed has become difficult. hunger is killing us gradually.” The Senior Special Assistant to Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed on Media and Communication, Dr. Muyideed Akorede, described the deaths of the workers as sad. Akorede however added that there is no proof that the deaths were caused by the delay in the payment of their salaries. In Kogi State, workers are being owed in varying degrees. While those employed by the state government are owed only June salary, their local government counterparts are being owed not less than 14 months. An employee of one of the LGs, who identified himself as Kunle Ajadi said he was going through great financial difficulties. He claimed that he treks to the office and does not eat lunch because of his financial status. In Osun State, most civil servants are being owed salaries in arrears of six and a half months. Another civil servant, who simply identified himself as Kayode said the food he collected at a Pentecostal church last Sunday came at a time he had almost lost hope. He said somebody invited him to the church for the food distribution and he abandoned his church to attend the church service so that he could get some food to eat. A teacher, who identified himself as Mr. Ahmed from Ede also, said one of his colleagues lost his son two days ago because of the situation. He said that the boy was ill and needed N1.5 million for medical treatment but the teacher whose name he declined to mention could not raise the money because of the non-payment of their salaries. He said, “I was told this morning that the son of that colleague of mine died yesterday. We agreed to donate money for the treatment of his son but the boy died because our salaries had not been paid for six and a half months now, hence we could not make the donation.” In Bauchi State where civil servants are being owed April and July salaries, a staffer of the Bauchi Radio Corporation who gave his name as Abubakar, said, “I am a family man with two wives and seven children with five dependants. The situation is so bad that my brother had to help pay my children’s school fees otherwise, they would have been sent home. “Even feeding my family is becoming a problem because the situation in the country is bad with inflation everywhere. The take-home pay doesn’t take us home anymore and yet we are not being paid regularly.” In Abia, workers are also groaning over months of salary arrears. One of the affected workers, a staff of the Abia State Universal Basic Education Board who spoke on condition of anonymity, told our correspondent in Umuahia that ASUBEB workers had only been paid May salary this year leaving January to April and June outstanding. She said, “I have borrowed and over borrowed, and more than four members of our staff had died because there was no money.” Yet another worker, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said his poor financial status is threatening his young marriage. He said, “I can no longer shoulder the responsibilities of my family and my wife is feeling so uncomfortable that she wants to call it quits. My marriage is barely two years old.” But the Special Adviser on Economic Affairs to Governor Okezie Ikpeazu , Mr. Obinna Oriaku, said the government had paid the May salaries of virtually all workers in the state including 62 out of the 65 parastatals and agencies that complied with biometric data registration. The Ondo State government owes its workers two months salaries – May and June. One of the workers in the state, Moses Adeniyi, said his family had been badly hit by the situation. He said, “Three members of my family are affected – my wife, my son and myself have not been paid. To feed the family has been taking the grace of God. “We don’t have any other business that fetches us money apart from this, it has not been so good.” Another civil servant, 58-year-old Mrs Ebun Oladiran, told our correspondent: “I buy drugs every month to take care of myself but now it has been difficult to do so. My life is in danger.” In Oyo State, the level of hardship among the workers varies. The local government employees are being owed salaries of May and June while other workers in the state have their April, May and June salaries yet to be paid. A senior civil servant and father of four, who simply identified himself as Ojoawo, said, “My wife has become the breadwinner of the house as I no longer pay the bills. She comes to my rescue when things are now down. I don’t have any money in my savings account because salaries are no longer coming.” In Imo State, a similar situation plays out. A nurse with the Imo State University Teaching Hospital Orlu, Mrs Nkechi Odochi, told our correspondent: “My children and I no longer eat a balanced diet. We only eat whatever we can lay hands on. We eat waiting for a day all our salaries will be paid.” Meanwhile, the Nigeria Labour Congress has called an emergency meeting of the National Executive Council of the congress to review the issue of the non- payment of salaries to workers by some state governors. The President of the NLC, Mr. Ayuba Wabba, made this known in a telephone conversation with our correspondent on Saturday. He said, “We are not going to take it lightly with them. The National Administrative Council of the NLC met on the matter and we are calling a NEC meeting for next week; a decision was taken to take solidarity action. We are inviting the states next week; we might take a national action on it, we will take the next line of action in the meetin
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by INTROVERT(f): 8:20am On Jul 26, 2015
eyyya
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by Nobody: 8:20am On Jul 26, 2015
y
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by frenzymirakk(m): 8:21am On Jul 26, 2015
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by Yehman(m): 8:21am On Jul 26, 2015
Pele
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by Demmocrats(m): 8:22am On Jul 26, 2015
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by Nobody: 8:22am On Jul 26, 2015
PITIFUL...
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by Demmocrats(m): 8:22am On Jul 26, 2015
Ok
www.
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by BeeBeeOoh(m): 8:22am On Jul 26, 2015
Osunites a case study..
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by emamos: 8:24am On Jul 26, 2015
."if i may ask, what do you do for a living?
INTROVERT:
eyyya
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by donholy28(m): 8:25am On Jul 26, 2015
Wow!!! 713.7billion from AN EMPTY TREASURY
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by ApcSucks: 8:25am On Jul 26, 2015
INTROVERT:
eyyya

cry cry cry
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by chinology: 8:27am On Jul 26, 2015
While in Anambra my mom and sister are paid on the 25th of every month in the Anambra civil service. They just got alert yesterday for their July salaries.

One Nigeria indeed cheesy

Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by AnambraDota: 8:28am On Jul 26, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
Osunites a case study..

Osun State is a failed State.

The terrible State of the State of Osun is Stale.

Eshinwaju come ooo Buddah Monk don finish your almajiri and taju state grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Let's know what runaway Osunites hiding in Lagos will spew cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by jejemanito: 8:29am On Jul 26, 2015
Smh
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by AnambraDota: 8:30am On Jul 26, 2015
chinology:
While in Anambra my mom is paid on the 25th of every month.

Is it still the same Nigeria?

Anambra is in Biafra. But Osun is in Oduanistan grin grin grin grin grin

1after come see what Buddah Monk is doing to your beggarly State of Osun

Tribalism is not goood oooooooo

Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by chinology: 8:33am On Jul 26, 2015
Abeg free Osun afterwards a particular SE state is owing 11months salary arrears but their governor went to Blair House-US to doze away while a meeting was ongoing. cheesy

AnambraDota:

Anambra is in Biafra. But Osun is in Oduanistan grin grin grin grin grin

1after come see what Buddah Monk is doing to your beggarly State of Osun

Tribalism is not goood oooooooo

1 Like

Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by mandax: 8:34am On Jul 26, 2015
Nigerian governors need to thin down the number of civil service employees. Civil servants are not industry employees that must produce wealth with which they get paid.

When a government cannot pay even its health service workers, the government has compromised the lives of its citizens.
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by AnambraDota: 8:34am On Jul 26, 2015
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by BeeBeeOoh(m): 8:35am On Jul 26, 2015
AnambraDota:

Osun State is a failed State.

The terrible State of the State of Osun is Stale.

Eshinwaju come ooo Buddah Monk don finish your almajiri and taju state grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Let's know what runaway Osunites hiding in Lagos will spew cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
the funny thing be sey hunger dey use them play table tennis but, dem still love [size=18pt] Aregbese[/size] a.k.a The Goatee Man
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by AnambraDota: 8:39am On Jul 26, 2015
Very funny that most Yorubas that claim we Own Lagos are from the collapsed and annihilated State of Osun. grin grin grin grin

Rilwayne, Passingshot, PentiumPro, agbameta aka aresa from the slums of malete in Osogbo underworld.

Osun state have entered the biggest one chance in the history of one chancing grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by NaijaTweets(m): 8:46am On Jul 26, 2015
See that pics of Aregberascal in school uniform grin grin grin
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by pazienza(m): 8:49am On Jul 26, 2015
T.A left Abia in ruins. Yet he was rewarded with senatorial seat. Ikpeazu from the look of things won't be better.

Abia is in trouble. As for Imo, the less said, the better. Rochas got re elected, damn!
Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by AnambraDota: 2:20pm On Jul 26, 2015
Definition of one chance

Re: We Are Dying Of Hunger, Say Workers In Debtor- States by coolitempa(f): 10:46am On Jul 30, 2015
BeeBeeOoh:
the funny thing be sey hunger dey use them play table tennis but, dem still love [size=18pt] Aregbese[/size] a.k.a The Goatee Man

what is ur business there....face Biafra and leave Nigeria alone.....muumuu.....buhdamonkey.... angry

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Customs Seals Up Warehouses Of Defaulting Rice Importers (Pics) / Photo- Look At What Iara Did To Oshiomole. / Buhari To Appoint Exxonmobil Vice Chairman, Kachikwu As GMD NNPC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.