Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:50 PM

What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting (27817 Views)

Unemployment - Why A Fool Is Always Successful In Job Hunting Than A Wise Man / My Experience Job Hunting At Linda Ikeji Media / My Sordid Experience As A Female Lawyer Job Hunting. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by idbami2(m): 3:38pm On Jul 26, 2015
Enlighteningg!
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Nobody: 3:38pm On Jul 26, 2015
Ezehrobinson:
WHAT I LEARNT FROM MY TWO MONTHS OF JOB HUNTING

The ultimate goal of every student is to graduate and earn a decent living. This could be through entrepreneurial exercise or working for an employer. I chose to tread the path of the latter, which many graduates will also choose (white collar job).

The first thing that will be sung to you once you start your service year is ‘there is no job in the country’. You will be amazed that people still get jobs on daily basis. The question you will be asking yourself will be ‘Are they not humans like myself?’ The most interesting part is that you maybe be better off academically when compared to them. Another interesting thing you will notice is that most of these people that got employment did not get it within the confine of their field of study.
What then is the secret for getting this job?

CLASS OF GRADUATION: Whatever it may take you, kindly make a second class upper in school. This will make your job hunting easier because most jobs in the country has second class upper and above as prerequisite.

AGE: Most graduate entry jobs require the candidate to be below 26 years. So you have to hurry your outstanding papers and graduate before you clock 25years as NYSC will take another one year.

INFORMATION: We are in the information age. Jobs are no longer advertised outside the gate of companies or on newspaper. The trend now is internet. You can visit the webpage of various organizations and look for openings or drop your curricula vitae so they will contact you when there are openings. Subscribing to various jobs and career sites like , ngcareers.com, 3wjobs.com and visiting sites like job section of nairaland.com will expose you to different openings all over the country.

MOBILITY AND LOCATION: Whoever that wants to get a job most be ready to travel at short notices to different screening centers that are far away from his/her base. From experience, the major screening centers for jobs are Lagos, Rivers (majorly Engineering firms), and Abuja. So you have to either relocate to Lagos or within short distances like Ogun state because of lower cost of living and its proximity to Lagos or get ready to spend lot of time on the road to and fro Lagos if you stay far away.

ANALYTICAL AND PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS:

]Most companies have one belief in common, ‘schools do not teach students the skills needed in work place’, and so they are on the lookout for smart not intelligent candidates that they will train. The yardstick for selecting these smart candidates is by subjecting them to aptitude test. This test is psychometric test (not specific to any field). Hence, an engineering student will be competing with a candidate from life science and etc at the same level. One lovely thing about the scoring is that you are not competing to outscore the other candidate but to beat a prescribed baseline score. The downside is that this psychometric test is not taught in school. You have to study it yourself. It is advisable to buy GMAT during your service year and get conversant with it, work on your speed and accuracy and develop your abstract reasoning ability. This will make you ‘Aptitude Test Black Belt Holder’ and you will stand out in any aptitude test as all companies’ aptitude are virtually the same.

LITTLE EXPERIENCES AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS:

Though companies advertise for graduate entry which does not require prior work experience, you will be asked about your little experiences and accomplishments. They love people that have shown innovations. You can volunteer to charity organization or Rotract club, etc so as to have the required little experience.

SOFT AND PEOPLES SKILL:

It is a common scene to notice most guys that clubbed and socialized during their days in school land jobs easier than nerds. This is because they have developed these soft and peoples skills over the years. Soft and people skill is the ability to relate well with people (team player). Technical skill can easily be learnt but peoples skill takes a long time to develop. So, employers like those that already have them and can easily teach them technical skills

GOOD CURRICULA VITAE: Your curricula vitae gives the HR an overview of who you are. Ensure your curricula vitae has the right format. There are different samples on online that you can use as template to build yours.

PRAYER: Prayer is just essential to whatever we do because our physical world is determined by the invisible world. Pray to whatever you believe to guide and show you favour.
YOU STILL NEVER LEARN ANYTHING.

ASK PEOPLE WETI THEM LEARN FROM ALMOST 1 AND 1/2 YEARS OF JOB HUNTING...

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Sweetyie(f): 3:39pm On Jul 26, 2015
Hmm. So informative
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Obodo999(m): 3:46pm On Jul 26, 2015
By the time I completed my NYSC, I had already completed my house.
Because I was not really ready to leave my comfort zone, I could not be bothered to look for jobs .
I thank God .
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by front247: 3:57pm On Jul 26, 2015
Op, u better go and learn a skilled work instead of roaming d street in search of non existent work
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by opex044: 3:58pm On Jul 26, 2015
Bro, it seem u r still a learner. Connection matter ooooo
lonelydora:

This is exactly what I don't like hearing. Who told you so?

Well said Op.
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by williams368(m): 3:59pm On Jul 26, 2015
Too lengthy.
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by yungNas(m): 4:01pm On Jul 26, 2015
this is a nice thread for fresh job seekers...ppl need to be inform about dis...
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by beyoncausme: 4:26pm On Jul 26, 2015
nice one....

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Nobody: 4:26pm On Jul 26, 2015
Good write up

Do you live in Akwa Ibom State? Do you relish the desire to own your own business with little start up capital and promising returns in investment? Do you hope to look into the mirror each morning and know you are talking to the boss? Are you enterprising?/Would you love to be? Do you have an aptitude for thinking out of the box? Then call or add me up on whatsapp 08085188110. You will be glad you did
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by kennynelcon(m): 4:26pm On Jul 26, 2015
lonelydora:

This is exactly what I don't like hearing. Who told you so?
Well said Op.
Dora, I used the word "easier".

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by lonelydora: 4:31pm On Jul 26, 2015
kennynelcon:

Dora,
I used the word "easier".

Okay. Well copied.
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by amosade30(m): 4:54pm On Jul 26, 2015
Evathyst:
This seems like a potential FP material, make I book space b4 that rapture take place. cheesy
u funny sha, ya personal text sef won't stp me laffin
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by chykmoni(m): 4:58pm On Jul 26, 2015
Izu, for your mind your topic make FP. I saw this your write-up on your FB wall and I really love it. thumps up. UNN is proud of you.

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 26, 2015
KingKuntaVart:
Only two months and ur here tying super story... wait till its two years u would turn to a comedian grin grin

cheesy

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Nobody: 5:06pm On Jul 26, 2015
Thats why i want to be self made cant let a fellow being dictate my life for me wen dey live theirs freely *team self employed* *team create employment*
Job hunting is like like evolutionary slavery hain confined to one pattern of order 8oclock be in office 9:20 type d docs 11:30 attend d board metting for me and all team free ursef joor

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by FOREXMART(m): 5:19pm On Jul 26, 2015
Ezehrobinson:

The ultimate goal of every student is to graduate and earn a decent living. This could be through entrepreneurial exercise or working for an employer. I chose to tread the path of the latter, which many graduates will also choose (white collar job).

The first thing that will be sung to you once you start your service year is ‘there is no job in the country’. You will be amazed that people still get jobs on daily basis. The question you will be asking yourself will be ‘Are they not humans like myself?’ The most interesting part is that you maybe be better off academically when compared to them. Another interesting thing you will notice is that most of these people that got employment did not get it within the confine of their field of study.

CLASS OF GRADUATION: Whatever it may take you, kindly make a second class upper in school. This will make your job hunting easier because most jobs in the country has second class upper and above as prerequisite.

AGE: Most graduate entry jobs require the candidate to be below 26 years. So you have to hurry your outstanding papers and graduate before you clock 25years as NYSC will take another one year.

INFORMATION: We are in the information age. Jobs are no longer advertised outside the gate of companies or on newspaper. The trend now is internet. You can visit the webpage of various organizations and look for openings or drop your curricula vitae so they will contact you when there are openings. Subscribing to various jobs and career sites like , ngcareers.com, 3wjobs.com and visiting sites like job section of nairaland.com will expose you to different openings all over the country.

MOBILITY AND LOCATION: Whoever that wants to get a job most be ready to travel at short notices to different screening centers that are far away from his/her base. From experience, the major screening centers for jobs are Lagos, Rivers (majorly Engineering firms), and Abuja. So you have to either relocate to Lagos or within short distances like Ogun state because of lower cost of living and its proximity to Lagos or get ready to spend lot of time on the road to and fro Lagos if you stay far away.

]Most companies have one belief in common, ‘schools do not teach students the skills needed in work place’, and so they are on the lookout for smart not intelligent candidates that they will train. The yardstick for selecting these smart candidates is by subjecting them to aptitude test. This test is psychometric test (not specific to any field). Hence, an engineering student will be competing with a candidate from life science and etc at the same level. One lovely thing about the scoring is that you are not competing to outscore the other candidate but to beat a prescribed baseline score. The downside is that this psychometric test is not taught in school. You have to study it yourself. It is advisable to buy GMAT during your service year and get conversant with it, work on your speed and accuracy and develop your abstract reasoning ability. This will make you ‘Aptitude Test Black Belt Holder’ and you will stand out in any aptitude test as all companies’ aptitude are virtually the same.

Though companies advertise for graduate entry which does not require prior work experience, you will be asked about your little experiences and accomplishments. They love people that have shown innovations. You can volunteer to charity organization or Rotract club, etc so as to have the required little experience.

SOFT AND PEOPLES SKILL:

It is a common scene to notice most guys that clubbed and socialized during their days in school land jobs easier than nerds. This is because they have developed these soft and peoples skills over the years. Soft and people skill is the ability to relate well with people (team player). Technical skill can easily be learnt but peoples skill takes a long time to develop. So, employers like those that already have them and can easily teach them technical skills

GOOD CURRICULA VITAE: Your curricula vitae gives the HR an overview of who you are. Ensure your curricula vitae has the right format. There are different samples on online that you can use as template to build yours.

PRAYER: Prayer is just essential to whatever we do because our physical world is determined by the invisible world. Pray to whatever you believe to guide and show you favour.

Nigerians complain of job scarcity and unemployment but honestly think out of the box, look around you, have a solution to people's challenges and make money. Never underestimate the importance of self development, this idea of depending on a degree to become someone in life is so so so 1991, get innovative.
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by solonazzy: 5:21pm On Jul 26, 2015
Kul
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by iRepNaija1: 5:34pm On Jul 26, 2015
Ezehrobinson:

[b]AGE
: Most graduate entry jobs require the candidate to be below 26 years. So you have to hurry your outstanding papers and graduate before you clock 25years as NYSC will take another one year.[/b]

SOFT AND PEOPLES SKILL:

The age requirement is the biggest catch-22 I've seen. How can you expect to have applicants applying for job announcements be under 26 when there are so many delays/strikes which prevent young people from graduating on time and starting/completing NYSC on time? Or when the youth demographic is considered from 18 to 40 years old?
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Paulv(m): 5:34pm On Jul 26, 2015
op indeed u av made a good point... but i tell u when u av god nd u believe with him notin shall be inpossible he will see one throuh.
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by iRepNaija1: 5:35pm On Jul 26, 2015
Ezehrobinson:

AGE: Most graduate entry jobs require the candidate to be below 26 years. So you have to hurry your outstanding papers and graduate before you clock 25years as NYSC will take another one year.[/b]

SOFT AND PEOPLES SKILL:

The age requirement is the biggest catch-22 I've seen. How can you expect to have applicants applying for job announcements be under 26 when there are so many delays/strikes which prevent young people from graduating on time and starting/completing NYSC on time? Or when the youth demographic is considered from 18 to 40 years old?
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by enolife(m): 5:37pm On Jul 26, 2015
This Nigerian job search don tire me...... Am planing of going into grobusiness
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by juliuscapps(m): 5:37pm On Jul 26, 2015
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Tclassic:
......really appreciate this but is it possible for one to change ones age after gaining admission, lets assume a student in 200 level pursueing 5 years course, is it possible to reduce d age such student use when registering for jamb, and others document in school?....thanks
You need not and besides it's not biblical for anyone to reduce his/her age.
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Tclassic(m): 6:16pm On Jul 26, 2015
juliuscapps:
[font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
You need not and besides it's not biblical for anyone to reduce his/her age.
.......in this country?........
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by oluwanoni: 7:14pm On Jul 26, 2015
Everyone ones to make a point here there but op, if you have learnt all these... Do you have a job....don't be deceived all u have said above are good points...but most importantly there two factors in getting a Job...knowning the right people & favour.... All the stories above are the ones you tell yourself so you can sleep and job hunt the next day.
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Forward1(m): 7:54pm On Jul 26, 2015
Divine favour is the ONLY requirement.
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by pragmatistm(m): 7:56pm On Jul 26, 2015
Well researched.
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Lildav: 9:16pm On Jul 26, 2015
PapaNnamdi:
climb a network mast for connection thats all

Lol!
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by nkemjacob2(m): 10:35pm On Jul 26, 2015
In the nigeria work force most big firm discriminate grades and age (first class, 2.1: age 22, 23, 24, 25, 26) do this approach bring the best in ur firm?. That y the foreigners are beta than us they look more on potentials dan grades cos dey no wht its mins. Discriminating grades expecially does not gv u d impression dat u have chosen the best, wen u discriminate u re locking good potential from the rest grades by so doin u re not exploiting ur firm to his best, their re so much to b unraveled. Credential signifies u went to sch, potential connote ur desire to work wit ur best of ur capabilities which is often extra - ordinary ideas. We d graduate aspiring to own big firms tomorw, i urge us to look more on potential dan paper i dnt c wht to learn from this firms nd their employment skills.

1 Like

Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by saintandsinnerz: 12:12am On Jul 27, 2015
Taylor86:
all u just need are

skills

prayer

pray harder

pray without ceasing

tnk me later
Re: What I Learnt From My Two Months Of Job Hunting by Tnycee(m): 12:44am On Jul 27, 2015
God bless this OP...

Amen to that

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

How Do You Answer Salary Questions During Interview / The Dilemma Of A Young Graduate With Many Job Offers. / Is This Real Or Scam Or GNLD?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.