Stats: 3,150,023 members, 7,807,005 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:29 AM

British Council Job Application/test/interview Process - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / British Council Job Application/test/interview Process (16707 Views)

Meadow 2016online Application Test / How To Negotiate Your Salary During The Interview Process / West African Examinations Council Job Recruitment (19 Positions) (2) (3) (4)

British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by TeddyPendergrass(m): 2:48pm On Jul 26, 2015
Hello Folks,

So I was researching about careers with the British Council and I didn't find anything particularly informative about the whole process online especially with regards to the experience here in Nigeria. The only information I found on NairaLand either records people asking questions about how to apply for British Council jobs or people asking what their work based test and interview processes are like. For the most part people who start answering the questions usually end up not following through either because they eventually got the job and didn't bother coming up on NairaLand to follow up (honestly though who has the time to come on NairaLand to answer questions when you're annual salary is between the range of 3M to 7M depending on your position) or maybe because they didn't make it pass a certain stage ( for real though, why would they tell you what to expect when noone told them what to expect).

For this reason I decided to start this tread to discuss the BC application process especially, that is a very important aspect seeing that the whole BC recruitment process is not generic. This means that the process is specifically designed for the BC. This is the first step of getting a foot in the door. There is no such thing as "man know man". If I can do it, some of you can. Hah

At this moment I am going through the recruitment process of a mid-level administrative position with the BC so I am going to provide as much information as legally allowable so anyone who has an interest in working with the BC will learn from my experience.

I will update this post with information on Wednesday 29th July from 6pm. I will include documentation on how to carefully fill the BC ATS form for any position you have experience for and wish to apply.

I will eventually do the same thing for the American Embassy, MTN, ETISALAT and a few others.

You can post your questions here I will answer them on wednesday.

Cheers,
Pendergrass

Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by bravemeatloaf: 6:10pm On Aug 20, 2015
We are waiting for updates abeg.

Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by TeddyPendergrass(m): 10:11pm On Mar 30, 2016
I should probably complete this article soon.
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by omoghene1: 9:59pm On Apr 29, 2016
Did u get the job ? Do u know the naira equivalent of pay bands 2 4 6? Thanks
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by 0955eb027(m): 11:06am On Apr 30, 2016
Interesting.
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by christhavemercy(f): 4:06pm On May 04, 2016
Pay band 6.. what does that mean? This is a good thread but might be a slow one, Its almost like no one talks about BC on nairaland. Pls shed more light on their recruitment process especially d test. What should I expect if im shortlisted and invited.
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by Chomzy19(f): 4:34pm On May 04, 2016
TeddyPendergrass:
I should probably complete this article soon.
You Should. Please help us out, dont abandon us as others abandoned you
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by SirBrightoc(m): 3:27am On Jul 16, 2016
Chomzy19:
Perhaps, TeddyPendagras who created this topic does not have enough information to give on his own, but decided to play the game to get others talking. If he had more info, why will he not respond to all inquiries and even his own promise in the original post since over a year now.

Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by TeddyPendergrass(m): 1:28pm On Jul 31, 2016
SirBrightoc:

Perhaps, TeddyPendagras who created this topic does not have enough information to give on his own, but decided to play the game to get others talking. If I had more info, why will he not respond to all inquiries and even his own promise in the original post since over a year now.

being the joker that you are you decided to send me an email asking for help and I did respond didn't i.

you are a joker. I just never got around to finishing the topic.

Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by obajoey(m): 8:16am On Aug 01, 2016
bro pls abeg, o ya finish it for the sake of everyone pls.
TeddyPendergrass:

being the joker that you are you decided to send me an email asking for help and I did respond didn't i.

Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by DollyB(m): 7:18pm On Aug 06, 2016
TeddyPendergrass:
Hello Folks,

So I was researching about careers with the British Council and I didn't find anything particularly informative about the whole process online especially with regards to the experience here in Nigeria. The only information I found on NairaLand either records people asking questions about how to apply for British Council jobs or people asking what their work based test and interview processes are like. For the most part people who start answering the questions usually end up not following through either because they eventually got the job and didn't bother coming up on NairaLand to follow up (honestly though who has the time to come on NairaLand to answer questions when you're annual salary is between the range of 3M to 7M depending on your position) or maybe because they didn't make it pass a certain stage ( for real though, why would they tell you what to expect when noone told them what to expect).

For this reason I decided to start this tread to discuss the BC application process especially, that is a very important aspect seeing that the whole BC recruitment process is not generic. This means that the process is specifically designed for the BC. This is the first step of getting a foot in the door. There is no such thing as "man know man". If I can do it, some of you can. Hah

At this moment I am going through the recruitment process of a mid-level administrative position with the BC so I am going to provide as much information as legally allowable so anyone who has an interest in working with the BC will learn from my experience.

I will update this post with information on Wednesday 29th July from 6pm. I will include documentation on how to carefully fill the BC ATS form for any position you have experience for and wish to apply.

I will eventually do the same thing for the American Embassy, MTN, ETISALAT and a few others.

You can post your questions here I will answer them on wednesday.

Cheers,
Pendergrass

I know your busy with so many things! But could you kindly help the uninformed people such as myself to become informed. In so doing you would be blessing individuals and permit me to say families also. God bless
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by TeddyPendergrass(m): 5:39pm On Aug 07, 2016
guy let me first apologize for the delayed update on this tread. I just being busy and really lack the motivation to type lengthy posts on here. however to be fair, I have responded by email to all who have asked me to talk about this. so today I will try to cover this up as fairly as possible.

This information is particularly for the BC but can be applied generally.

BC applications don't get screened by humans at the first stage, they use an ATS (google it if you don't know) that screens all applications as they come in. the ATS screens these applications based on keywords that are relevant for any given role. so as you fill out your profile on the job portal make sure your responsibilities are tailored to reflect this key words. a site to use to measure how close your profile is to the keywords is jobscan.co

that site is jobscan.co and not jobscan.com. Take note.

for every BC role you apply for there is a role profile documents attached. study that document extensively. on that document you see exactly what they are looking for. the section of most particular interest is the person specification section.

here they show what they want and the kind of skills you need to fulfill the responsibilities for the role. It shows if it's essential: meaning if you don't have or can't show that you have forget about it. Desirable; they would give preference to people that have that skill or experience with then lastly assessment stage; this is where they tell you what stage they will be screening with those skills. if it's shortlisting you must include this skill in your profile if it's interview stage you don't necessarily have to show you have it but it's better you do.

now when you get to the supporting statement part of your application, this is arguably the most important part of your application. this is where you show convincingly in writing that you meet the requirements for the role as stated in the person specification.

you don't just write that I have a skill in this and that. there is a book called British council behaviours and another called core skills attached to every post made by the BC, read those books carefully and understand the skills for the roles and what applying them means. all skills required for BC jobs are taken from that book. all of them so read carefully.

there is another book I found on the internet some time ago I think it's called BC values or so I can't remember but research on your own and read. there is actually an article on the internet about applying to BC jobs which you can read to.

it is a very complicated process that takes a lot of time and dedication so just be patient. I applied to like 10 BC jobs before I finally got invited for an interview after I discovered my former applications were not making it through the front gate because I was doing rubbish. so I studied about this and figured it out.

when I went for my test with them we were about 20 and we all tested for 3 different jobs. 20 people testing for 3 different jobs gives you an idea that a lot of people's application are getting stuck in the system because of how different BC application process is.

anyways long story short; study those BC books first, study the role profile, fill in your application to fill in line with BC core values and then make sure your supporting statement shows clearly that you have the required skills and have used these skills in your former or current employment.

when I did my application, it took me a week. so take your time, don't take too long.

cheers!

Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by TeddyPendergrass(m): 5:39pm On Aug 07, 2016
DollyB:

I know your busy with so many things! But could you kindly help the uninformed people such as myself to become informed. In so doing you would be blessing individuals and permit me to say families also. God bless

done

Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by TeddyPendergrass(m): 5:40pm On Aug 07, 2016
obajoey:
bro pls abeg, o ya finish it for the sake of everyone pls.

done

Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by TeddyPendergrass(m): 5:41pm On Aug 07, 2016
Chomzy19:

I have this done now
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by TeddyPendergrass(m): 5:43pm On Aug 07, 2016
omoghene1:
Did u get the job ? Do u know the naira equivalent of pay bands 2 4 6? Thanks
they just added a new payband 7 that about 7M
lowest is PB 2 which is about 2.7M I think.
everything other thing is inbetween s tha should give you an idea
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by TeddyPendergrass(m): 5:44pm On Aug 07, 2016
bravemeatloaf:
We are waiting for updates abeg.

sorry this took so long. Just added it up now
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by TeddyPendergrass(m): 5:45pm On Aug 07, 2016
christhavemercy:
Pay band 6.. what does that mean? This is a good thread but might be a slow one, Its almost like no one talks about BC on nairaland. Pls shed more light on their recruitment process especially d test. What should I expect if im shortlisted and invited.

Yupp no one speaks about it.

anyway I just updated the article. someone kept sending me emails
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by SirBrightoc(m): 8:00pm On Aug 07, 2016
TeddyPendergrass:

My dear brother,
Thank you for your responses. You can observe that I posted here before sending the email to you. The post was made to motivate you to respond and it achieved just that.
Your post is insightful and great.
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by omoghene1: 4:44pm On Aug 22, 2016
TeddyPendergrass:

they just added a new payband 7 that about 7M
lowest is PB 2 which is about 2.7M I think.
everything other thing is inbetween s tha should give you an idea
Ok thanks
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by martoshky(m): 6:37am On Aug 23, 2016
Bro, I would appreciate if u could send us d links to d books on the internet or if u av dem u could just freely distribute so we could all get enlightened.
Thank you
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by atk5: 10:07am On Aug 23, 2016
Please is there any vacancy currently on for Accounting students? Help please
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by obajoey(m): 12:10pm On Aug 23, 2016
atk5:
Please is there any vacancy currently on for Accounting students? Help please

Finance officer, but i think it has ended. you can still do your search sha. Mehn I have been following British council bumper to bumper since the first time i saw the annual pay and they have also been bouncing back my application word for word and position by position, but i wont give up. Not about the pay alone but the exposure.
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by DollyB(m): 3:55pm On Aug 30, 2016
obajoey:

Finance officer, but i think it has ended. you can still do your search sha. Mehn I have been following British council bumper to bumper since the first time i saw the annual pay and they have also been bouncing back my application word for word and position by position, but i wont give up. Not about the pay alone but the exposure.
Have you been sent any mail concerning the position you might have applied for because I myself have been on the edge of my seat for weeks now!
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by obajoey(m): 4:07pm On Aug 30, 2016
Yes I do get a reply from them after the selection/application process must have ended.
I think they do reply two weeks after the application process must have ended.
DollyB:

Have you been sent any mail concerning the position you might have applied for because I myself have been on the edge of my seat for weeks now!
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by DollyB(m): 4:31pm On Aug 30, 2016
obajoey:
Yes I do get a reply from them after the selection/application process must have ended.
I think they do reply two weeks after the application process must have ended.
So what am deducing is that you have been sent another message to come for their test!....
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by Romeozigs: 4:46pm On Aug 30, 2016
Are de still recruiting?
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by obajoey(m): 5:17pm On Aug 30, 2016
no bro.
DollyB:

So what am deducing is that you have been sent another message to come for their test!....
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by DollyB(m): 9:22pm On Sep 02, 2016
Anybody in here who has received a mail for the invite kindly signify here please....no one would take your shine! wink
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by Romeozigs: 9:25am On Sep 03, 2016
are dey recruiting pls. sm1 pls ansa me
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by jidluk: 9:48pm On Sep 03, 2016
No invite yet
Re: British Council Job Application/test/interview Process by DollyB(m): 10:22pm On Sep 03, 2016
Romeozigs:
are dey recruiting pls. sm1 pls ansa me
Yes they are still recruiting generally speaking but if its for thhe position we all applied for,then its long gone bro!

Beware Of Fake Customs Recruitment (Photos) / Who Else Got This Invitation -ruff And Tumble / At What Age Did You Land Your First Job?

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52