Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,961 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:26 AM

Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 (30525 Views)

Top 10 Richest And Poorest Countries Of The World: Nigeria? / Top 10 Richest Nigerians / Nigeria's Top 10 Richest People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Depilot(m): 4:24am On Mar 15, 2009
Nigeria's 10 richest persons right at this moment (03/13/2009) List from a reliable source

1. Mike Adenuga $6 Billion
2. Aliko Dangote $4 Billion
3. Femi Otedola $3.5 Billion
4. Jim Ovia $2.3 Billion
5. Cecilia Ibru $1.2 Billion
6. Oba Otudeko $1 Billion
7. Rasak Okoya $300 Million
8. Sonny Odogwu $260 Million
9. Bode Akindele $230 Million
10. Emmanuel Ojei $165 Million
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Afam4eva(m): 5:24am On Mar 15, 2009
Is that from FORBES? Cos i know Dangote is still in the no 1 position.
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Depilot(m): 6:17am On Mar 15, 2009
Without question, Adenuga should be the richest.
He has his fingers sooo deep in the three most lucrative sectors of the economy- Oil & Gas(upstream), Telecoms and Banking! That's deep!
Dangote on the other hand is basically a trader.(no disrespect intended)

The reason Adenuga is not on Forbes is simple- no PLCs. Forbes basically makes assessments based on quantifiable wealth and for Nigeria they make do strictly with stock values.
Otedola is on the list this year because of his shares in AP. Zenon was probably barely taken into consideration!
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by kosovo(m): 6:36am On Mar 15, 2009
just found out that warren buffet has massively droped from $62B to $37.
so those figures re invaid, because the meltdown is affectin everyone,

nigerians do not ve any reliable data. so y bother?

how can someone tell me that BABA is not the richest Nigerian, the money he looted from power alone is moer than half of the list combined.
stop da joke!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by kosovo(m): 6:39am On Mar 15, 2009
wait,
from a reliable source?? huh? lol in pidgin
  the source only known to you.??
link?? now or get lost.
RECENT forbes data shows  [url=http://allafrica.com/stories/200903130567.html [/url] Dangote having a net asset of  $2.5B.[/url]
so where did u get ur $4B from?
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Afam4eva(m): 7:44am On Mar 15, 2009
Depilot:

Without question, Adenuga should be the richest.
He has his fingers sooo deep in the three most lucrative sectors of the economy- Oil & Gas(upstream), Telecoms and Banking! That's deep!
Dangote on the other hand is basically a trader.(no disrespect intended)

The reason Adenuga is not on Forbes is simple- no PLCs. Forbes basically makes assessments based on quantifiable wealth and for Nigeria they make do strictly with stock values.
Otedola is on the list this year because of his shares in AP. Zenon was probably barely taken into consideration!

Who cares, as long as he's not inthe list then he's not the richest.
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Nobody: 7:50am On Mar 15, 2009
afam4eva:

Who cares, as long as he's not inthe list then he's not the richest.

As simple as that.
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by chidichris(m): 11:20am On Mar 15, 2009
this is just forbes list.
any list that does not have the likes of obj, babangida, odili, tony annenih, atiku is not a complete list as long as nigerian rich men are concerned.
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Afam4eva(m): 11:54am On Mar 15, 2009
chidichris:

any list that does not have the likes of obj, babangida, odili, tony annenih, atiku is not a complete list as long as nigerian rich men are concerned.

Will you keep quiet, what do u mean by if OBJ,babangida, tony annenih, atiku is not in the list then it's not complete. Forbes only list people who make their assets public.
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by samparian(m): 11:54am On Mar 15, 2009
chidichris:

They will be named when Forbes decides to issue a list of  SUCCESSFUL THEIVING politicians grin
if they are not on such a list, then something is wrong
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Afam4eva(m): 11:56am On Mar 15, 2009
samparian:

They will be named when Forbes decides to issue a list of  SUCCESSFUL THEIVING politicians grin
if they are not on such a list, then something is wrong

Thank you jare, the people that are listed made their money legitimately.
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by samparian(m): 12:29pm On Mar 15, 2009
If Forbes decides to produce such a list, ha, it will be long.
it will definitely be worth reading, so that these Ijaw boys will have new targets and the world at large will confirm that we have professional THEIVES as politicians!!!
Shameless bastardos angry
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by kosovo(m): 9:39pm On Mar 15, 2009
huh?
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Depilot(m): 10:25pm On Mar 15, 2009
See how many Hausa, Yoruba, Ibo and Igbo on this list. This makess me wonder which group really wears the productivity crown in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by kosovo(m): 10:44pm On Mar 15, 2009
See how many Hausa, Yoruba, Ibo and Igbo on this list. This makess me wonder which group really wears the productivity crown in Nigeria.

which list
the one from your village?
the list is ridiculous, reason being that you ve refused to add a link to it.
spamming scamming scammer.
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Epiphany(m): 11:21pm On Mar 15, 2009
I cant understand why Cecilia Ibru is on the list, when it is her husband (and his brothers) who own majority of the businesses, including Oceanic, Aero Contractors, Federal Palace etc etc.
Why are they not the ones on the list?
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Depilot(m): 1:11am On Mar 16, 2009
This is not my source, but another source that duplicates my list.

http://lindaikeji..com/2008/10/naija-entertainment-news.html
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by muda1: 1:15am On Mar 16, 2009
Encomium Magazine.  lipsrsealed  grin
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by tnk24: 2:07am On Mar 16, 2009
Some publication (may be City People, I cannot remember) about three years ago revealed Mike Adenuga (Jr.) to be wealthier than Dangote. It is surprising that both last year and this year Forbes Magazine still publishes Dangote as the richest Nigerian while Adenuga does not even appear on their list. Surely without any doubt, their criteria is lacking ,  It will actually take something special to know the true worth of these super-rich Nigerians as we sure do know that there are more than two Nigerians worth  billions of dollars each. Forbes Magazine is published by humans and therefore cannot be said to be perfect.
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by ilaugh1: 2:18am On Mar 16, 2009
how many of these so called rich men has billions of dollars in bank loans dangling over their heads unpaid, both in their business name and on their name, and yet you list them here as tem richest people in Nigeria- remove their bank loans and you will see that they are not as rich as you are claiming here.
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by zomby(m): 3:09am On Mar 16, 2009
It is the lesson of life for our kids. They must draw from the wisdom of the ancients. Education is not all about going to school. It is the totality of human experience and existence. I learnt another great lesson from the life of Dr Mike Adenuga Jnr. I used to wonder why the man was so elusive. He does not indulge in the usual socializing that is so common in our land. He's very quiet, but focus and extremely successful. He’s at his desk longer than any human being I know. He personally supervises all his businesses, and takes the glory for the successes, and the blame for the failures. I was told the near-reclusive man understands our kind of society too well. He’s faced too many disappointments in life, and he had to learn how to dodge the many vampires that claim to be your friends. Today, his unusual lifestyle has paid off for him. His companies are liberating Africans the world over.
Dele. M
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by zomby(m): 3:13am On Mar 16, 2009
how many of these so called rich men has billions of dollars in bank loans dangling over their heads unpaid, both in their business name and on their name, and yet you list them here as tem richest people in Nigeria- remove their bank loans and you will see that they are not as rich as you are claiming here.
You do not have a clue. It will be better for you to stop posting and only read on this forum.
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Lagosboy: 8:40am On Mar 16, 2009
The list is just the wishful imagination of the poster.

Cecila Ibru works for her husband and the ibru family.
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Nobody: 9:18am On Mar 16, 2009
i_laugh:

That has been done already. Rating bodies use networth, not grossworth. Their known liabilities have been removed from their known assets already.

Lagosboy:

The list is just the wishful imagination of the poster.

Cecila Ibru works for her husband and the ibru family.
Spot on. Her husband, Michael, who owns Oceanic and several other investments, is not known to have bequeathed all his wealth to her. His younger brothers-Alex,Felix,Donald,Goodie-and son-Oscar-are all rich on their own but definitely can't make top 10 in Nigeria, not to talk of Cecilia. The patriach,Michael, could have been debatable, but Cecilia, I totally disagree.

Some publication (may be City People, I cannot remember) about three years ago revealed Mike Adenuga (Jr.) to be wealthier than Dangote.
Nigerian celebrity magazines rate Mike ahead of Aliko, but Forbes has insisted Aliko is the richest Nigerian. Aliko himself has reportedly said he is even worth more than Forbes puts his wealth. The limitation of Forbes data is that only quoted stocks are considered.

By the way, can anyone please tell me why Jim Ovia is rated that high? Does he have more than Zenith, and lately Visafone?
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by joobreel(m): 4:04pm On Mar 16, 2009
when is my name going to feature on this list o?. very soon!!!
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Afam4eva(m): 4:12pm On Mar 16, 2009
Jarus:

By the way, can anyone please tell me why Jim Ovia is rated that high? Does he have more than Zenith, and lately Visafone?

By the way, can anyone please tell me why dangote is rated that high? Does he have more than Dangote, and lately
a telecommunication outfit.
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by RichyBlacK(m): 7:09pm On Mar 16, 2009
A cacophony of armchair connoisseurs of the wealthy, properly biased by their preconceived agendas of who should be on what list. Their hypocrisy is firmly exposed by their questioning of some names on this list but happy with the ranking of others. They prefer Encomium's list to Forbes' because they claim Forbes' list is "incomplete". In essence, they believe Forbes' list is not inclusive enough and Encomium's list is too inclusive. The truth is that no list will satisfy those who view lists of "richest Nigerians" vicariously, with their parochial biases and prejudices.

I find it laughable that any Nigerian is interested in the names of people who have, for the most part, made their wealth through the manipulations of supporters in the string of Nigeria's failed governments. Most of these "richest men" are greedy imbeciles whose cronies in government have used corrupt means to guarantee profits for their buddies. In this foolish drama, the laughable tragedy is that these same admirers of wealthy criminals will throw all manner of aspersions on the known cronies of these criminals. Names like Babangida, Abacha and Obasanjo will make them revolt in disgust and scream "corrupt Nigerian leaders", but names like Dangote, Otedola and Adenuga make them smile with stupid pride and shout "these Nigerians are putting us on the global map of billionaires". They find it all too easy to dissociate the "wealthy criminals" from their coconspirators that have institutionalized corruption in Nigeria and ensured that Nigeria remains one of the most corrupt, poverty-stricken, dangerous, failed states on the planet!
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Nobody: 7:25pm On Mar 16, 2009
RichyBlacK:

A cacophony of armchair connoisseurs of the wealthy, properly biased by their preconceived agendas of who should be on what list. Their hypocrisy is firmly exposed by their questioning of some names on this list but happy with the ranking of others. They prefer Encomium's list to Forbes' because they claim Forbes' list is "incomplete". In essence, they believe Forbes' list is not inclusive enough and Encomium's list is too inclusive. The truth is that no list will satisfy those who view lists of "richest Nigerians" vicariously, with their parochial biases and prejudices.

I find it laughable that any Nigerian is interested in the names of people who have, for the most part, made their wealth through the manipulations of supporters in the string of Nigeria's failed governments. Most of these "richest men" are greedy imbeciles whose cronies in government have used corrupt means to guarantee profits for their buddies. In this foolish drama, the laughable tragedy is that these same admirers of wealthy criminals will throw all manner of aspersions on the known cronies of these criminals. Names like Babangida, Abacha and Obasanjo will make them revolt in disgust and scream "corrupt Nigerian leaders", but names like Dangote, Otedola and Adenuga make them smile with stupid pride and shout "these Nigerians are putting us on the global map of billionaires". They find it all too easy to dissociate the "wealthy criminals" from their coconspirators that have institutionalized corruption in Nigeria and ensured that Nigeria remains one of the most corrupt, poverty-stricken, dangerous, failed states on the planet!

true dat

lets rename the thread - Nigeria's ten richest proxies grin
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Nnenna1(f): 7:32pm On Mar 16, 2009
@ afam4eva

Thank you jare, the people that are listed made their money legitimately.

Outside the topic, but how do you explain this guy?

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2009/10/billionaires-2009-richest-people_Joaquin-Guzman-Loera_FS0Y.html
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by damola1: 7:55pm On Mar 16, 2009
If that guy can make it, then IBB, OBJ and the likes can,
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by Nobody: 8:04pm On Mar 16, 2009
Richy, oyb et al,
Nobody is denying the fact these guys romance with the people that have contributed to Nigeria's failure. Some people call it fronting, some say they are cronies of these bad leaders, and my good friend and colleague, oyb, has added 'proxies' to the long list of nouns/verbs/adjectives used to describe/call them.

But the fact remains that these guys have worked hard enough to be recognized by the Presidents. Could any President have used Aliko or Mike in the mid-eighties when they were just strugglers/starters? Why didn't IBB or OBJ use Chief Olorunkuse, a millionaire by his own right in my town?

The point I'm trying to point out is that when you are rich to certain extent, you can't help not romancing with the leaders(good or bad, but pitiably almost all are bad in Nigeria). But getting rich to the extent of being noticed/used by these people is no mean feat. These guys worked for their money. Mike and Aliko are particularly shrewd businessmen who made their monies by daring where people feared. IBB, OBJ and co did not make these guys, they only helped them after they had already reached a certain level. With tens of billions worth of investments in a country, if you don't romance with goverment. A single policy may make you lose billions and we can all imagine the number of people that directly or indirectly depend on these guys. Imagine an unforgiving person like OBJ asking to hide under Aliko or Mike for a business, they dare not reject it, of course because they will also make money, but equally importantly, because OBJ will revenge and make them suffer(remember what he did to Mike, just because he refused to join the transcorps stuff, which would have been a rival to his business).

So these guys deserve some praises, guys.
Re: Nigeria's 10 Richest Persons As Of 03/13/2009 by OBVIOUS(m): 8:24pm On Mar 16, 2009
Nigerians love to celebrate thieves.

hahaha, lets add Obsanjo and Abacha to the list.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Blogger Seun Oloketuyi Arrested For False Publications About Bank CEOs / Number Of Commercial Banks Branches In Nigeria By States / How Can I Start Filling Gas Plant Business? Please Who Can Help?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.