Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,310 members, 7,808,049 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:47 AM

Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... (21271 Views)

Ponder On This Just For A Second / Please Help He's Frustrated And I'm Worried He Might Do Something Really Crazy / Child Rearing Thoughts To Ponder On (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by Agrika: 11:32am On Jul 27, 2015
Acidosis:
Looool

Some of those ''poor'' road side vendors don build houses, trained their children in good schools, etc. cheesy

Some remain by the road side cos they have no idea how to make their business big. Some make more money than those ''polished'' malls (most collapse after few years).

A road side banana seller will definitely make more profit than that vendor selling banana at shoprite. Do you know how much it cost to rent a square metre space at Ikeja city mall? Lol

Are you aware most of those sellers and sales reps at shoprite are graduates (some have MSc.s)? Can you afford their salaries?

Do you know what it takes to power A.Cs and Generators? smh.

Never you estimate those road side sellers. My former landlord (a dirty road side mechanic) has 3 cars, a landlord to over 6 tenants (including level 12 and 13 federal civil servants).

Dey there make pant dey wear you. No bargain, they form big boy inside car. Na you sabi.

I will keep bargaining until I am comfortable with the price. If you don't like it, don't sell. Not my biz!
Best and the most realistic comment ever.

2 Likes

Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by musicwriter(m): 11:34am On Jul 27, 2015
Good!.

I have always been of this opinion myself. I never bargain with such roadside businesses cause I just take it as charity. Sometimes, the price they even put forward for their goods are so cheap that I often almost become emotional. They have no sign of greed whatsoever!.

And, who said you cannot haggle stuffs at supermarkets?.
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by LordPhilip(m): 11:39am On Jul 27, 2015
I was touched to my very bones!
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by Nobody: 11:39am On Jul 27, 2015
hahn:

No need to get emotional.

The fault of this is totally the business person's and such person deserves no sympathy. What they do is bad business practise and they should bear the consequences it has on their business.

Kinda very true. However, I'll be a bit fairer when pricing their stuffs shaaa.
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by ogbanje1(f): 11:46am On Jul 27, 2015
ladyF:
Eeyah

But some of these vendors are not considerate too o. How will u put all the overhead cost on each banana. U suppose spread am na. Economy isn't smiling on me too.

The woman at my junction, her banana starts at N500, how I no go price? Help me Jesus.

Yes true, you should also price KFC food next time you go there, that's the point of the original poster.
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by kekakuz(m): 11:52am On Jul 27, 2015
Aystarz:

Put price tags on perishables like bananas? Sorry, just how long have u been on this side of the planet?
am tempted to ask you the same
have you being to fruit market maitama?
don't exhibit your ignorance here
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by udomma1005(m): 11:56am On Jul 27, 2015
Chisos! I will neva do this again,feeling very guilty especially when I wanna buy fresh fish,I dey haggle like say I get Doctorate for micro Economics. I ve repented*Crying & rolling on the floor

1 Like

Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by hahn(m): 11:59am On Jul 27, 2015
dearpreye:

Kinda very true. However, I'll be a bit fairer when pricing their stuffs shaaa.

No one goes to the market to be "fair" to anybody. The sellers are there to make money while buyers are there to get the best value for their money.

The business person that create a chance for customers to bargain their prices don't complain when they sell way above their expected profit. Besides, no matter how you bargain, they'll always sell to make profit and when they do eventually sell at exactly their cost price(they never sell below) it is done with the intent of making you a customer with the hope of making profit off you when you make your next purchase.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by Acidosis(m): 12:04pm On Jul 27, 2015
udomma1005:
Chisos! I will neva do this again,feeling very guilty especially when I wanna buy fresh fish,I dey haggle like say I get Doctorate for micro Economics. I ve repented*Crying & rolling on the floor

So because a woman sells fresh fish, she's poor?

1 Like

Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by arvinsloane(m): 12:07pm On Jul 27, 2015
ggrin:
my mom must read thisangry
She fit price NL for 10K lipsrsealed
Hehehehehehehehehehe. Chai... your mum eh
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by nomoless: 12:19pm On Jul 27, 2015
Some traders out to exploit, bargaining helps to reduce the level of exploitation.
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jul 27, 2015
foxxynik:

Yet you don't seems to be moved....
If anyone is rich and yet bargain prices...that person is greedy and perhaps very stingy!... It isn't about wasting money...its about using dat little medium to assist people.
Now! Using ur instance. Buying 5-Oranges for N100 and ur friend buys 7-Oranges at the same amount at the same kiosk... It might be becoz ur friend has been patronising the person's business and the person decides to encourage ur friend with bonuses!
Please! Don't bargain with this people selling at the roadside... You can imagine moving from one supermarket to another simply becoz u need a special price with good quality stocks and u'll pay for it without questioning! But will agree within ur thoughts dat bargaining with the roadside sellers is not to waste money...with little things u buy from them...compare to the thousands u count and pay when buyin at the supermarkets!
Call me stingy or whatever, I don't care.. as long as Nigeria remains at her status quo, I can't stop bargaining. .. is there anything you don't bargain for in Nigeria? ? You bargain your salary at interviews, carpentry works, taxis, building contractors, goods and services generally. .. Tell me anything you don't bargain for in Nigeria, or the roadside sellers should be exempted because they're seemly poor?

Even the roadside sellers, I'm sure they also bargain while obtaining their goods... Until Nigeria reaches a stage where goods and services are at fixed prices at least to a large extent, I won't stop bargaining. .. I can't pay more for something I can get at a lesser price... In Nigeria where prices of goods can be hiked thrice the price?? undecidedThey see you well dressed and think everything is fine with you, then purposely hike their prices and you tell me not to bargain? I must get the best value for my money...

I would rather tell you to keep the change than buy anything way above the normal price.. or if I see your kids playing around your shop or something, I can give them something to buy 'biscuits' with... I will help you if I want to but that doesn't include buying your goods at ridiculous prices.... While bargaining, I know when to stop. ....

Buying goods at any stipulated price is simply supporting their purposeful price hike...

1 Like

Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by tpascal: 12:31pm On Jul 27, 2015
Thanks for that touchy write up. Sometimes these are the people that need our " seed ". Instead, some of us would like to impress politicians and political pastors with fat envelope and expensive hampers.
Pls let's learn to give those who can't pay us back- the down trodden.
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by Nobody: 12:35pm On Jul 27, 2015
hahn:

No one goes to the market to be "fair" to anybody. The sellers are there to make money while buyers are there to get the best value for their money.

The business person that create a chance for customers to bargain their prices don't complain when they sell way above their expected profit. Besides, no matter how you bargain, they'll always sell to make profit and when they do eventually sell at exactly their cost price(they never sell below) it is done with the intent of making you a customer with the hope of making profit off you when you make your next purchase.
You don talk am finish. . Everyone's striving for survival. ...
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by savio07(m): 12:40pm On Jul 27, 2015
kekakuz:
no time to ponder unreasonableness this morning
got work to do

*modified*

packaging is the word

you don't price mama put plate of food same with Mr Biggs

if the banana arrange her banana and put price tag, no body will price.

back to work pls

For ur mind now you don talk sense. Smh undecided
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by justmenoni: 12:49pm On Jul 27, 2015
Op you are right,but let me ask you a simple question? Hv u ever dealt with an Igbo trader If not then give it a trial...a Product of #50 can be sold to you for #500 or #5000 if you can't bargain...Am I lieing!

Go to their women in the market and see for your self and for their men no do wahala when next u see dem hawking dat fake gucci sunglasses, kindly ask for the price and dey can say it's 5k cos it's original from Italy grin grin But just tell him 200 naira and see if he doesn't sell it

quote author=CuteMaryJ post=36315312]Most times when we walk into big malls, boutiques, supermarkets, we never question their prices. We pay exactly what we see on the price tags and even hand out tips to the staff. But the moment we are out of these shops and want tobuy banana, our bargaining game gets off to the roof.

Poor widow with 12 hungry children at home tells you banana is N100. She even takes out her time to explain how difficult it wasfor her to even buy it, how the economy is so tough. But we insist that if it's not N50, we are not paying. Some of us even step back into our cars and make to drive away.

But because 'half bread is better chin chin', this woman is forced to call you back and sell to you at little or no gain. In her heart, she cries, she's worried about how she'll survive with her children. She silently reassures herself that 'It's well. God will definitely provide.'' While you happily chop the luscious banana.

Take some seconds out and think about this, guys. Please don't bargain hard with small vendors like this. They do business not to buy designer bags, Gucci shoes but to LIVE and EAT!

Love,
Laila Ijeoma

Source: http://www.lailasblog.com/2015/07/something-really-urgent-to-ponder-on.html

[/quote]

1 Like

Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by Nobody: 12:54pm On Jul 27, 2015
Very interesting thought by the Op. As you said, the same bananna of N100 of which we still bargain with the poor woman, we'll unarguably buy that same bananna N400 or even N500 on price tagged in shoprite and other shopping malls. What a life!
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by MasterG(m): 12:56pm On Jul 27, 2015
I am touched beyond words.....going out to act now, by giving to the next poor soul I see.
psychologist:
Auch nice one
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 27, 2015
Most times when we walk into big malls, boutiques, supermarkets, we never question their prices. We pay exactly what we see on the price tags and even hand out tips to the staff. But the moment we are out of these shops and want tobuy banana, our bargaining game gets off to the roof.

Poor widow with 12 hungry children at home tells you banana is N100. She even takes out her time to explain how difficult it wasfor her to even buy it, how the economy is so tough. But we insist that if it's not N50, we are not paying. Some of us even step back into our cars and make to drive away.

But because 'half bread is better chin chin', this woman is forced to call you back and sell to you at little or no gain. In her heart, she cries, she's worried about how she'll survive with her children. She silently reassures herself that 'It's well. God will definitely provide.'' While you happily chop the luscious banana.

Take some seconds out and think about this, guys. Please don't bargain hard with small vendors like this. They do business not to buy designer bags, Gucci shoes but to LIVE and EAT!

1 Like

Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by txieojeds: 1:31pm On Jul 27, 2015
HAVE YOU MADE UP TO #1MILLION THIS 2015?
WHAT’S STOPPING YOU?
THIS IS YOUR CHANCE
DON’T MISS IT
CLICK HERE
www.nairacashflow.com/ojediran/
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by sunsewa: 1:54pm On Jul 27, 2015
CuteMaryJ:
Most times when we walk into big malls, boutiques, supermarkets, we never question their prices. We pay exactly what we see on the price tags and even hand out tips to the staff. But the moment we are out of these shops and want tobuy banana, our bargaining game gets off to the roof.

Love,
Laila Ijeoma

Source: http://www.lailasblog.com/2015/07/something-really-urgent-to-ponder-on.html

Nice,touching, educative and real life occurrence, but some heartless rich fellow don't mind,rather they will say is business.
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by Roland17(m): 2:01pm On Jul 27, 2015
@OP

God bless you tremendously for remembering the poor and the hopeless who despite the struggles and challenges find a way to strive for a better tomorrow.
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by poik(m): 2:26pm On Jul 27, 2015
CuteMaryJ:

Love,
Laila Ijeoma

true. and i do it sometimes. God have mercy on me.
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by Nobody: 2:35pm On Jul 27, 2015
MarvellousGod:
Call me stingy or whatever, I don't care.. as long as Nigeria remains at her status quo, I can't stop bargaining. .. is there anything you don't bargain for in Nigeria? ? You bargain your salary at interviews, carpentry works, taxis, building contractors, goods and services generally. .. Tell me anything you don't bargain for in Nigeria, or the roadside sellers should be exempted because they're seemly poor?

Even the roadside sellers, I'm sure they also bargain while obtaining their goods... Until Nigeria reaches a stage where goods and services are at fixed prices at least to a large extent, I won't stop bargaining. .. I can't pay more for something I can get at a lesser price... In Nigeria where prices of goods can be hiked thrice the price?? undecidedThey see you well dressed and think everything is fine with you, then purposely hike their prices and you tell me not to bargain? I must get the best value for my money...

I would rather tell you to keep the change than buy anything way above the normal price.. or if I see your kids playing around your shop or something, I can give them something to buy 'biscuits' with... I will help you if I want to but that doesn't include buying your goods at ridiculous prices.... While bargaining, I know when to stop. ....

Buying goods at any stipulated price is simply supporting their purposeful price hike...
You've stiffen ur conscience to be harden....
You actually think that everybody roadside sellers u go to get ur fruits or other beverages with will definitely hike the price becoz u're well dressed? Than's an excuse!....
I won't delve into this...anymore coz u will never see reasons with me! So, I will let u bargain prices with anybody you come across with.
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by SkinnyDude(m): 2:54pm On Jul 27, 2015
not for a student like me
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by pleasurecoach(f): 3:06pm On Jul 27, 2015
Aww so touching! will henceforth bear dis in mind an making purchases. Tanx op. God help us be one another's helper
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by Nobody: 3:28pm On Jul 27, 2015
excusemyfrench:
I've always wanted to help others who are not too buoyant like myself. God willing it shall come to pass.
How wud u be buoyant when Aisha Buhari says she wud soon stop Edo-Italy export grin.
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by Acidosis(m): 4:16pm On Jul 27, 2015
foxxynik:

You've stiffen ur conscience to be harden....
You actually think that everybody roadside sellers u go to get ur fruits or other beverages with will definitely hike the price becoz u're well dressed? Than's an excuse!....
I won't delve into this...anymore coz u will never see reasons with me! So, I will let u bargain prices with anybody you come across with.

and you feel all roadside sellers are poor?

Some of you will never learn until you see the account balance of dirty a b o k i roadside sellers selling onions and tomatoes.

If you want to help the poor, simply help. Telling people not to bargain because roadside sellers LOOK poor is simply unreasonable.
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by excusemyfrench(m): 4:22pm On Jul 27, 2015
lygn19:

How wud u be buoyant when Aisha Buhari says she wud soon stop Edo-Italy export grin.
look at this tramp. Eya I really pity the day you were born. The day your parents had sex they should have used that to plant yam and a disease like you would not have seen the light of day. Mind you I work in a an oil company and not broke unlike your sorry asss.
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by Lawsimon(m): 4:59pm On Jul 27, 2015
As an honest person, I don't bargain. In short, I don't know how to bargain. You tell me your last price and I will tell you the amount I want to buy it. I don't add or subtract.
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by chinchum(m): 7:01pm On Jul 27, 2015
CuteMaryJ:

Love,
Laila Ijeoma

thought provoking! and agree with your postulations. what i disagree with is your sample of a poor widow with TWELVE children. Anytime I see poor folks with lot of children, instead of pity for them, anger arouse in me, and I sense selfishness and wickedness on the path of the parent. children are Gods heritage and didn't beg to be brought in to the world, no one should bring in to the world what is clearly way out of your provisions ability. how can a man carrying a very heavy load and weighed down by it , decide to add more load?
Re: Something Really Urgent To Ponder On..... by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jul 27, 2015
Kachisbarbie:
I don't bargain. Though if the person tries to outsmart me...it gets me very angry. grin...and I would show you that I am angry.

I went to the market sometime ago, the wheel barrow guy that moved my things to my car, very correct guy! They usually charge 60-100N, but the moment he saw my car...he said 'Small madam, just give me anything'...I smiled...told him 'I no even wan pay'... he said 'that one follow kwa' hahaha

Then I opened my wallet and gave him 1k, in 100s. Choi, come see prayer.

The next week, same mkt. This one turned out to be greedy, the moment he saw car, he said 300N.
I got very angry o. 'I said ehnn, do I work in Central bank? Or you think I don't know the price?'
I use vex give am N100, he is lucky I approximated it to the nearest hundred.

What I am trying to say is, their attitude influences my own attitude.
yaaaaaayyyyyy!!! Kachis is back! cheesy cheesy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

A Letter From A Mother To Her Daughter / How Can One Find Genuine Spouse In This Era Of Ritual Killings, Organs Harvest? / Living Without My Spouse For 6 Months (At Least)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.