Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,329 members, 7,808,104 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:18 AM

Ndigbo Made Nigeria A Better Country, Says Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ndigbo Made Nigeria A Better Country, Says Gowon (569 Views)

With Biafra It Is Finished, Says Gowon - Vanguard / With Biafra It Is Finished, Says Gowon / Ndigbo Made Nigeria A Better Country, Says Gowon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ndigbo Made Nigeria A Better Country, Says Gowon by Titilayodeji13(m): 5:55pm On Jul 27, 2015
The man, who prosecuted Nigeria Civil War, General Yakubu Gowon (rtd), has said that Igbo people made Nigeria a better country.

The Nigeria’s former military head of state also said, “Nigerians are better off with the Igbo.”

Gowon made the statement at the weekend in his eulogy for the late Chief Chinyere Asika, wife of the former Sole Administrator of East Central State; just as governor of Anambra State, Chief Willie Obiano, described the late First Lady as “a woman who exemplified the virtue of patience, charity and humility.” The former Head of State and Governor Obiano, spoke at the All Saints Anglican Cathedral, Onitsha, Anambra State.

Gowon said that he made the declaration because of his deep appreciation of the commitment and sacrifice of the late Ajie Ukpabi Asika and his wife to the survival of Nigeria as one entity.

He recalled that when he proposed the post of Sole Administrator of East Central State, “Asika told me: I prefer to do this for the good of Igbo people.”

He added: “I was struggling to get an administrator for the newly created East Central State when the name of the late Ukpabi Asika came up. He was then a lecturer at Ibadan. When we met, I do not know which one of us was younger.

“But he exuded strength of character and understanding, and wanted to start work immediately. “Though I cautioned him to think about it, I told him, you must consult your brothers, and your wife who was there to know if you would accept, I came away convinced that this is the man I needed.

“I did not know how to place his wife, Chinyere, but when she arrived from Kenya, she plunged head-on to the idea. She was a courageous woman, caring and humble.  I remember her efforts in “Otu Olu Obodo”- a public service initiative which she used as a tool of empowerment for her Igbo kinsmen and women.”

Also, Anambra State Governor, Chief Willie Obiano, described the late First Lady as a woman who exemplified the virtue of patience charity and humility.”

Obiano told the children and Asika family to imbibe the virtues of patience, charity and humility from the late Mrs. Asika, whilst urging the congregation and Anambra people to remember “her good deeds and pray for the repose of her soul.”

In his sermon, the Bishop on the Niger, Anglican Communion, Rev. Owens Nwokolo, dwelt on the need for people to live a life of service. He lauded the life of service led by the late Mrs. Asika and her noble contributions to humanity.

The bishop said that the quest for accumulation of wealth as a serious malaise in Nigeria. As he put it, “Desire to get rich by all means leads man into temptation. ?

“What does it take to satisfy a man? Just a little more,” stressing that money itself is not the problem, but the love of money. Money can’t buy happiness; we brought nothing, we go with nothing.”

The service was attended by many prominent personalities including former Minister of Defence, Gen T.Y. Danjuma, who represented President Muhammadu Buhari, former Governors of Anambra State, Chief Peter Obi, and Chief Chukwuemeka Ezeife; former Governor of Imo State, Chief Achike Udenwa; and members of the National Assembly, among others.

http://dailyindependentnig.com/2015/07/ndigbo-made-nigeria-better-country-says-gowon/

Odeyele Ayodeji
Re: Ndigbo Made Nigeria A Better Country, Says Gowon by HungerBAD: 5:55pm On Jul 27, 2015
Ndigbo made Nigeria a better place? Gowon respect yourself.

I will let this one slide Oga Gowon, because you and i share the same Birthday. Made Nigeria a better place doing what?contributing what?accommodating who in their lands? let me not waste my lunch break time,writing about Ndigbo abeg.

To me, any sensible Igbo man will know this is a STYLISH yab. These are the same people you nearly starved to death, with blockades.

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo Made Nigeria A Better Country, Says Gowon by amadice(m): 5:56pm On Jul 27, 2015
mtcheew...d guy above badt gan..as for Mr Gowon stop doing eye service...if u wanted ndigbo to feel wanted nothing stopped u from implementing the aburi accord u signed with ojukwu... just kept quiet and remain silent until u die...
Re: Ndigbo Made Nigeria A Better Country, Says Gowon by jaymejate: 5:57pm On Jul 27, 2015
#no need to read intoto#
Why you no go talk like that? Nor be because of the black oyel money you de see for thr?
Re: Ndigbo Made Nigeria A Better Country, Says Gowon by Nobody: 5:58pm On Jul 27, 2015
ok.
Re: Ndigbo Made Nigeria A Better Country, Says Gowon by sammyyoung2(m): 5:59pm On Jul 27, 2015
coming from the DEFEATER of the tribe of BIAFRA............

i berra just LOL
Re: Ndigbo Made Nigeria A Better Country, Says Gowon by nke001: 6:10pm On Jul 27, 2015
>>Biafra loading!...

1 Like

Re: Ndigbo Made Nigeria A Better Country, Says Gowon by VcStunner(m): 6:15pm On Jul 27, 2015
Did he just realized undecided
Re: Ndigbo Made Nigeria A Better Country, Says Gowon by morbeta(m): 6:15pm On Jul 27, 2015
The truth cannot be buried forever, its gradually come to light that the Igbo are the engine room of Nigeria.
Re: Ndigbo Made Nigeria A Better Country, Says Gowon by loomer: 6:21pm On Jul 27, 2015
It's alright
Re: Ndigbo Made Nigeria A Better Country, Says Gowon by Obaiyski(m): 6:23pm On Jul 27, 2015
We know

(1) (Reply)

President Muhammadu Buhari Congratulates Obama At 54 / Buhari Is Slow?..... / CBN Orders Banks To Refund Withdrawal Charges In 30 States

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.