Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,890 members, 7,806,581 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 06:37 PM

A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job (44589 Views)

Why Do Unemployed Nigerians Want A Job But Reject Marketing Job At All Cost? / Zenith Bank Interview 2016 / Things I Learnt During Interviews No One Will Tell You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jul 27, 2015
I was in for the final stage of interview @ Access bank for the job of a graduate sales rep today. Got into the office and was asked the usual - 'tell me about yourself' and 'why do you want to work for us' question. I answered them and the man seemed impressed by my answers.

But then.. He interrupted me and asked me:

if you were to be handed your employment letter today, how would you generate 500 accounts for us in one month?

I wasn't expecting the question, but then I told him that I would go to potential market places like universitys- during 100 level registration, industrail centers. He wasn't impressed and he pressed me for more answers.(Am interested in more answers to the question) I told me that I had no banking and marketing experience. He replied me saying that I didn't need experience to answer the question and that I obviously didn't have any interest on the job plus a cold - "have a nice day". I felt hurt. I might be called to pick my employment letter, I might not be called.

A flash back on the interview made me understand that he wanted an unusual answer that would get his attention. If I had done a lot of online research I probably would have walked out of that office smiling.

The lesson I learnt which other graduates should learn from is this: do a proper research on the job you applied for, how its done,how the company does it, her policy on it everything. Know about that job as if you've already started work there. Ask questions about the job, from those who have the work experience.

Thanks.

65 Likes 8 Shares

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by kennynelcon(m): 8:59pm On Jul 27, 2015
The man was kind.

Others will ask you Which day old 100 naira notes will stop circulating.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by StPete: 8:59pm On Jul 27, 2015
Nice advice but don’t get depressed about the outcome.
The good thing is that you have learnt from it

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by klem93(m): 9:04pm On Jul 27, 2015
chaiii see that kind question
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Nobody: 9:08pm On Jul 27, 2015
StPete:

Yes and Thank you. smiley

4 Likes

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 27, 2015
StPete:

brother I remember applying for a sales rep job at jumia, I made the list to the last 8 applicant ...but jumia needed just 7 sales rep.

I was the one dropped from the list, I almost died that day because I have neva been that close to getting employed

that was 2 yrs ago, jumia was gona pay 40k, but thanks to. God Jus few months later I got a job that pays tripple Wat jumia was gona pay

best of all, I didn't even attend an interview for it......

#God no dey sleep .....everybody's time will surely come...don't give up

259 Likes 16 Shares

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by abimbawealth(f): 9:23pm On Jul 27, 2015
Move on, the best is yet to come...thanks for the advice

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Ugoblaque: 9:33pm On Jul 27, 2015
[color=#006600][/color
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by edey2real: 10:08pm On Jul 27, 2015
Charism:
I was in for the final stage of interview @ Access bank for the job of a graduate sales rep today. Got into the office and was asked the usual - 'tell me about yourself' and 'why do you want to work for us' question. I answered them and the man seemed impressed by my answers.

But then.. He interrupted me and asked me:

if you were to be handed your employment letter today, how would you generate 500 accounts for us in one month?

I wasn't expecting the question, but then I told him that I would go to potential market places like universitys- during 100 level registration, industrail centers. He wasn't impressed and he pressed me for more answers.(Am interested in more answers to the question) I told me that I had no banking and marketing experience. He replied me saying that I didn't need experience to answer the question and that I obviously didn't have any interest on the job plus a cold - "have a nice day". I felt hurt. I might be called to pick my employment letter, I might not be called.

A flash back on the interview made me understand that he wanted an unusual answer that would get his attention. If I had done a lot of online research I probably would have walked out of that office smiling.

The lesson I learnt which other graduates should learn from is this: do a proper research on the job you applied for, how its done,how the company does it, her policy on it everything. Know about that job as if you've already started work there. Ask questions about the job, from those who have the work experience.

Thanks.

Check www.best-job-interview.com
You will get everything you need about an interview.

1 Like

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Adesiji77: 10:29pm On Jul 27, 2015
I commend you for having the courage to share your experience with other job - seekers.

Just keep an open mind and hope for the best.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by 9aijaboi(m): 10:46pm On Jul 27, 2015
Don't worry, you did your best, @least u said sth.. #gbagbie

2 Likes

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by femology: 10:47pm On Jul 27, 2015
the funniest things about interviews is that you cant just know all the angles the questions might come from, u may think u have done all the required things before d interview but when they start asking u questions u may not know what next to say, its just the grace of God......

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by obinna2nv(m): 11:01pm On Jul 27, 2015
Don't be too hard on yourself, its a marketing job after all... Something better is on the horizon, I can feel it in my bones..

9 Likes

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Ezeanna: 11:05pm On Jul 27, 2015
OP, don't beat urself up cos the interviewer didn't appear entirely satisfied with your answer on that particular question. IMO, you answered the question well. Of course, interviewers always present a poker face to their interviewees, just to keep you in suspense. An interview that ends with smiles doesn't necessarily mean success; those smiles could be followed by a regret mail.

You did your best. Keep your fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Goodluck.

17 Likes

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Bonapart(m): 9:31am On Jul 28, 2015
Na so una dey Bleep up.... the next thing 'is no job'
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Rajisko(m): 9:32am On Jul 28, 2015
nawao

1 Like

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by benedictjohn(m): 9:32am On Jul 28, 2015
Eya
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by surplusspending(m): 9:32am On Jul 28, 2015
wish u all the best
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by freecocoa(f): 9:33am On Jul 28, 2015
femology:
the funniest things about interviews is that you cant just know all the angles the questions might come from, u may think u have done all the required things before d interview but when they start asking u questions u may not know what next to say, its just the grace of God......
It's not just the grace of any God. Are you telling people to not prepare and hope on the so called grace or what?

OP, do not despair, keep looking, you'll get there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by DiegoNakel(m): 9:33am On Jul 28, 2015
Derez God my broda !!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by Nobody: 9:33am On Jul 28, 2015
Keep learning
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by ehisbay(m): 9:33am On Jul 28, 2015
Eh yah!!!!!
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by eluquenson(m): 9:34am On Jul 28, 2015
Na wao
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by tspun(m): 9:34am On Jul 28, 2015
+
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by SHOPPERS(m): 9:37am On Jul 28, 2015
Good to know you've learnt. Access bank have used that method and they've probably gotten tired of it.
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by papadjaji: 9:38am On Jul 28, 2015
Chai.

Dont be deceived, the only way to get info of any company is to get an insider who will give u insight into the company's policies.

For how to get 500 accounts, all u need is vision. Salary accounts for big corporations, market storms, etc.

Dont be discouraged, that is not enough to make u unattractive.

Wish u d best.

2 Likes

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by onatisi(m): 9:40am On Jul 28, 2015
klem93:
chaiii see that kind question
that is a normal question any company will ask someone applying to be their marketer. How will u generate sales ? I would have asked the same question myself if I was the person doing the interview. I believe marketing is a talent and inborn not everyone can market goods and services. The op has learnt his lessons and he will surely scale through the next one he attends

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by okooloyun1(m): 9:41am On Jul 28, 2015
Re: A Painful Lesson I Learnt From An Access Bank Interview For A Marketing Job by missKiffy(f): 9:43am On Jul 28, 2015
It is well

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Immigration Service Recruitment 2011 / Pre Employment Medical Test / Job Interview Questions And Excellent Sample Responses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.