Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,443 members, 7,808,588 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:51 PM

Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) (3616 Views)

Viral: Zimbabwean Woman Tames Lion As Pet / This Lion Has A Bond With Its Owner / Dentist Sends Patients Apology Letter After Killing Zimbabwe Lion Cecil (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by AfroCanadian: 6:20pm On Jul 28, 2015
Hunter Allegedly Paid $55,000 To Kill Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion
Cecil the lion was found decapitated and skinned on the outskirts of Hwange National Park earlier this month.

This is Cecil. He was Zimbabwe’s most famous lion.

A large, handsome creature with a lush mane tinged with black, the 13-year-old lion was called the “biggest tourist attraction” at Hwange, the country’s premier wildlife park.

But earlier this month, Cecil was found dead -- skinned and headless -- on the outskirts of Hwange. According to reports, a hunter allegedly shelled out $55,000 to kill and decapitate the lion.

It's believed that Cecil was lured out of the national park into an adjacent hunting concession area with bait in the form of a freshly killed animal. At that point, the lion was shot with a bow and arrow, National Geographic reports. The dying lion, who was wearing a GPS collar, was then followed by the hunter for 40 hours before he was finally killed with a rifle.

Johnny Rodrigues, head of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force, called Cecil's death a “tragedy.”

He was a symbol of Zimbabwe,” he told The Guardian.

The fate of Cecil’s cubs is now dire, Rodrigues added.

“We have to give up for dead his six cubs, as a new male won’t allow them to live so as to encourage Cecil’s three females to mate,” he said.

In a statement earlier this month, the Zimbabwe Professional Hunters and Guides Association confirmed Cecil’s death. The association said that at least one of its members was involved in the hunt, and that the case was being investigated.

On Sunday, The Guardian reported that Zimbabwean authorities were searching for the hunter. Although Cecil was killed on private land, authorities say the lion lived in the national park and thus came under its protection.

Two other individuals involved in the hunt for Cecil have reportedly been arrested.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cecil-zimbabwe-lion-killed_55b5ca3ce4b0224d8832a327?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

LIKE THIS FACEBOOK PAGE FOR SIMILAR STORIES
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by AfroCanadian: 6:20pm On Jul 28, 2015
Cecil the lion's killer revealed as American dentist

Cecil the lion – the most famous creature in one of Zimbabwe's national parks – was killed by an American hunter who has boasted about shooting a menagerie of animals with his bow and arrow, The Telegraph can reveal.

Walter James Palmer, a dentist from Minnesota, is believed to have paid £35,000 to shoot and kill the much-loved lion with a bow and arrow. The animal was shot on July 1 in Hwange National Park. Two independent sources have confirmed the hunter's identity to the paper, which has also seen a copy of the relevant hunting permit.

Conservation groups in Zimbabwe reacted angrily to the news that the 13-year-old animal had been killed: partly because the lion was known to visitors and seemingly enjoyed human contact, and partly because of the way in which he was killed. He was lured out of the national park and shot.

"He never bothered anybody," said Johnny Rodrigues, the head of Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force. "He was one of the most beautiful animals to look at."

A spokesman for Mr Palmer said that the hunter believed he may have shot the lion.

“As far as I understand, Walter believes that he might have shot that lion that has been referred to as Cecil,” the spokesman said.

“What he’ll tell you is that he had the proper legal permits and he had hired several professional guides, so he’s not denying that he may be the person who shot this lion. He is a big-game hunter; he hunts the world over.”

During the hunt – which the organisers later admitted was badly carried out – it was alleged that Cecil was lured at night about half a mile out of the national park using bait, and then shot with a bow and arrow. The next day he was found wounded by the hunters and killed, before being beheaded and skinned.

Animals cannot be killed within the confines of the park. The hunters then removed his collar – further contravening park rules.

The professional hunter, Theo Bronkhorst, said he reported the "mistake" to the Parks and Wildlife Management Authority the following day, and it is now being investigated. The landowner bordering the national park has been charged - along with Mr Bronkhorst. Both are due to appear in court on August 6.

On Tuesday, Zimbabwe National Parks issued a statement confirming the charges.

"Theo Bronkhorst, a professional hunter with Bushman Safaris, is facing criminal charges for allegedly killing a collared lion on Antoinette farm in Gwayi Conservancy, Hwange district on 1 July 2015," the statement said.

"All persons implicated in this case are due to appear in court facing poaching charges.

"Both the professional hunter and land owner had no permit or quota to justify the offtake of the lion and therefore are liable for the illegal hunt."
Mr Bronkhorst, who will appear at Hwange magistrates court on Wednesday, said he was unaware of Cecil's fame.

"It was a magnificent, mature lion. We did not know it was well-known lion. I had a licence for my client to shoot a lion with a bow and arrow in the area where it was shot," he said.

Mr Rodrigues said the authorities in Zimbabwe were troubled by events.

"There's considerable embarrassment about this - the Americans have banned the import of elephant trophies," he said. "We believe the head and pelt are still in Bulawayo.

"They should be charged with poaching," he said. "If you're a local and you kill an animal without a licence you get between two and five years in prison."

Mr Palmer, the client, describes himself as coming from North Dakota and having "a unique talent for creating dazzling smiles that complement each individuals tooth structure, skin tone, and facial attributes." A request for comment left with his office had not yet been returned on Tuesday.

His website states that: "Anything allowing him to stay active and observe and photograph wildlife is where you will find Dr Palmer when he not in the office."

He also has a well-documented fondness for shooting wild animals around the globe.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/africaandindianocean/zimbabwe/11767119/Cecil-the-lions-killer-revealed-as-American-dentist.html

LIKE THIS FACEBOOK PAGE FOR SIMILAR STORIES
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by ladyF(f): 6:21pm On Jul 28, 2015
Tears cry
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by Cutehector(m): 6:24pm On Jul 28, 2015
ladyF:
Tears cry
its a good thing.. Lions kill people

2 Likes

Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by donholy28(m): 6:25pm On Jul 28, 2015
Where's d pix of its headless carcass

2 Likes

Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by ladyF(f): 6:36pm On Jul 28, 2015
Cutehector:
its a good thing.. Lions kill people
They are cute cry
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by Cutehector(m): 6:42pm On Jul 28, 2015
ladyF:

They are cute cry
baboons are cute too

1 Like

Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by AfroCanadian: 6:46pm On Jul 28, 2015
lalasticlala, MissyB3, Fynestboi, ijebabe
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by ladyF(f): 6:49pm On Jul 28, 2015
Cutehector:
baboons are cute too
Loool baboons are so NOT cute

1 Like

Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by Cutehector(m): 7:07pm On Jul 28, 2015
ladyF:

Loool baboons are so NOT cute
lol wats ur favorite pet
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by ladyF(f): 7:16pm On Jul 28, 2015
Cutehector:
lol wats ur favorite pet
I don't like animals around me, I enjoy documentaries on them though.

1 Like

Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by Cutehector(m): 7:20pm On Jul 28, 2015
ladyF:

I don't like animals around me, I enjoy documentaries on them though.
sounds interesting...
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by Nobody: 8:24pm On Jul 28, 2015
ladyF:
Tears cry
My luv for cats cant be quantified! I luv em all,lions,tigers,cheetah,bobcat,mountain lion,domestic cats. Am seriously hurt this beautiful animal with a fine mane got killed for no good reason! Hopefully hes in Cat heaven..
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by ladyF(f): 8:27pm On Jul 28, 2015
fabiano09:

My luv for cats cant be quantified! I luv em all,lions,tigers,cheetah,bobcat,mountain lion,domestic cats. Am seriously hurt this beautiful animal with a fine mane got killed for no good reason! Hopefully hes in Cat heaven..
lol u can't b serious! Hope u only keep the domestic ones as pets tho
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jul 28, 2015
ladyF:

lol u can't b serious! Hope u only keep the domestic ones as pets tho
Lol but u were the one in tears,tot u loved dem just as much. I dont even hv a domestic cat,they say its too "witchy" in my apartment,when i have enof money am definitely geting a tiger or a lion,striving n saving lyk mad lol,its lyk an obsession to me,i buy dvds of cats,download dem online,wen am watching tv,if its nt music den its nat geo! dts hw serious i am.
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by ladyF(f): 9:06pm On Jul 28, 2015
fabiano09:

Lol but u were the one in tears,tot u loved dem just as much. I dont even hv a domestic cat,they say its too "witchy" in my apartment,when i have enof money am definitely geting a tiger or a lion,striving n saving lyk mad lol,its lyk an obsession to me,i buy dvds of cats,download dem online,wen am watching tv,if its nt music den its nat geo! dts hw serious i am.
grin I admire them from afar when they are thousands of miles away, I can't even use my hand to touch cats but seeing them on TV sometimes I can go like "Awwwwnnnn* That's where it ends hehehe grin
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by AfroCanadian: 11:08pm On Jul 28, 2015
cc: lalasticlala, MissyB3, Fynestboi, ijebabe
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by Nobody: 11:14pm On Jul 28, 2015
ladyF:

grin I admire them from afar when they are thousands of miles away, I can't even use my hand to touch cats but seeing them on TV sometimes I can go like "Awwwwnnnn* That's where it ends hehehe grin
Kai crocodile tears..
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by ObamaSonnn: 12:31am On Jul 29, 2015
Omo that lion looks fierce.
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by Skykid1208(m): 1:27am On Jul 29, 2015
I haven't eaten lion's meat pepersoup before who knows how it taste pls?
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by AfroCanadian: 8:05am On Jul 29, 2015
Skykid1208:
I haven't eaten lion's meat pepersoup before who knows how it taste pls?
Lol. You are funny. The lion would also like to know what human pepper soup tastes like.
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by AfroCanadian: 8:07am On Jul 29, 2015
Why can't the mods move this thread to the front page? Fynestboi, lalasticlala
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by philfrey08: 1:27pm On Jul 29, 2015
White people are big time poachers.... they would carry his head to make statue in their houses....
White outside but black inside.... wicked
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by philfrey08: 1:27pm On Jul 29, 2015
White people are big time poachers.... they would carry his head to make statue in their houses....
Re: Zimbabwe's Most Famous Lion Found Decapitated Outside National Park (Pictures) by frinx: 12:53am On Jul 30, 2015
Walter Palmer, the Minnesota dentist who killed the beloved Cecil the Lion, as it was revealed the thrill-seeker has killed 43 animals as a member of an elite hunting rank.

some pics below

(1) (Reply)

Meet “the Kakapo” The Most Useless Bird On The Planet / See The Tortoise I Bought Less Than 500,, Will Be Eating It Soon / A Samoyed Puppy For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.