Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,640 members, 7,801,862 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:40 AM

Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) - Education (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) (50574 Views)

Only Intelligent Ones Can Solves This Maths(photo) / PHOTO: 95% Of People Will Fail This Simple Mathematics / If You Can Solve This Maths, A Financial Institution Should Employ You. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by 19naia(m): 12:29pm On Jul 30, 2015
Handsome4real:

You are not applying bodmas correctly. You don't have to add bracket except there is already a bracket in the equation.

6-1x0+2/2.. 6-(1x0)+(2/2).. 6-0+1=

See above just that. Adding brackets are allowed and can work out functionally.
The confusion is not in the added brackets, it is in the final step where subtracting zero and adding one creates a problem.

if 6-0+1 were solved like 6-(0+1).. It would be 6-1 and yield 5

The same equation can be rearranged before solving, so that
6-0+1 is rearranged to be 6+1-0. Therfore (6+1)-0 and the yeild is 7. Also as 6+(1-0)=6+1=7

SEE BRACKETS ADDED AND EVEN SO IT YEILDS YOUR CHOSEN ANSWER OF 7 as well as the answer of 5.
The issue is not the the brackets. It is in the way if factoring in the zero in terms of - or + properties.

What if the equation compressed down to 6-1+0 ?
we could do 6-(1+0) and get 6-1=5..
Also we could do (6-1)+0 and get 5+0=5.
In this case the answer is consistently the same. by my methods and no confusion even after adding brackets.

So you see, the brackets are allowed to be added so long as they are the first to be solved before then adding or subtractiing or any operation in Bodmas..
The confusion has nothing to do with added brackets, it has to do with the zero being factored in terms of a negative property. The Zero being subtracted is the issue creating confusion, not the brackets or the method. Also Bodmas is imperfect when you see the addition and subtraction phase of the order bring out inconsistencies in one form of the equation versus the other. So it requires extra scrutiny and rules to decide which is the better answer.
Trust me when i say i agree with the answer 5 and the answer 7.
I just modelled enough equations above to show how the process i originally used ,can both yield the correct answer and a confusing answer depending on the make up of the equation.
In this case, i would add a rule to Bodmas to settle the confusion, saying that after all operations before the final addition and subtraction, any value in the lineup to be subtracted must be moved to the very last place in the equation line up. This rule also supports why Subtraction is listed last in the Order of Bodmas even though addition and subtraction are often said to be interchangeable.
That would solve the issue and yeild 7 in the OP's equation, and i solved for a resulting 7 using the same method and added brackets as i did when yeilding 5. The big difference was rearranging the equation so that the negative property values were moved to the very end of the line up of numbers to be added and subtracted.

But if the equation compresssed down to 6-1+1, would i go with 6-(1+1)=6-2 =4 ?
Or would i go with (6-1)+1=5+1=6 ?

Would i solve the subtraction before the addition? Does it matter? Yes.
The rule i am explaing of bodmas is that this confusion is solved by making sure to rearrange the equation so that all negative property values are last in the line up of the final Bodmas phase of adding and subtracting. Even so this rule is arbitrary or debateable as i will show in the below example with oranges.

So 6-0+1 must be rearranged to 6+1-0
6-1+1 must be rearranged to be 6+1-1,
Thats a good rule especially when you see the practicality of it with the Zero/0 in the original equation by OP
But, in the case of 6-1+1, is the answer truly (6-1)+1 or is it 6-(1+1)? Nodmas will lead us in one direction if we put the subtraction in last place of the order of process.
If i had 6 oranges and then added one, i would have 7 and if i then subtracted one, i would have 6. But, if i had six oranges and subtracted a number of them equal to the value of 1+1, i would have 4 oranges after subtracting 2.
The zero suntraction is more straight forward ,but when replaced with 1, it is not so straight forward.
So Bodmas comes in to help arbitrate an order and even so the issue of the last step of final addition and subtraction can be confused unless a final compromise rule is observed along the lines of Subtraction properties being moved to the rear of the line up of values being added and subtracted.. Positives in the front and negative in the back. That would yeild 7 as the answer of OP' s original equation.

My issue is not the matter of a right or wrong answer, but looking at the arbitrary nature of math and its principles. Exploring Dialectics in math or simple arithmetic. When you look at pure math outside of the rules and symbols, what is really going on and what is the reason behind it? are there options and is there good reason for one option or the other depending on the circumstances.

Like i have been saying, Trust me when i say i agree with your answer 7, but there is more to consider than just being right or wrong in math.
Math is an amazing maze with many ways and as dialectic as languages and their many dialects. If you truly understood the rules behind math, you will have the critical thinking to evolve math into the next great theorum rather than just be a job holder doing the grind within the sytem that has been constructed for you by unkown minds while they tell you what is right or wrong. Think for your self, try brackets where they say not to, try rephrasing in an alternate arrangement and take the risk of being wrong because there is the chance to learn something more beyond the box we are conditioned to remain in. Math is malleable and here in US it has now started in primary schools a new system for solving math that many university graduates are confounded by because it defys the system they were taught in the same schools back in their days. Many parents are furious about it as well.
The schools change according to the change in school of thought and it starts with random people like you or you exploring beyond the set boundaries of old.
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by 19naia(m): 12:29pm On Jul 30, 2015
Handsome4real:

grin Olodo

Handsome4real:

You are not applying bodmas correctly. You don't have to add bracket except there is already a bracket in the equation.

The confusion is not in the added brackets, it is in the final step where subtracting zero and adding one creates a problem.

6-0+1 is rearranged to be 6+1-0. Therfore (6+1)-0 and the yeild is 7. Also as 6+(1-0)=6+1=7

SEE BRACKETS ADDED AND EVEN SO IT YEILDS YOUR CHOSEN ANSWER OF 7 as well as the answer of 5.
The issue is not the the brackets. It is in the way if factoring in the zero in terms of - or + properties.

In this case the answer is consistently the same. by my methods and no confusion even after adding brackets.

So you see, the brackets are allowed to be added so long as they are the first to be solved before then adding or subtractiing or any operation in Bodmas..
The confusion has nothing to do with added brackets, it has to do with the zero being factored in terms of a negative property. The Zero being subtracted is the issue creating confusion, not the brackets or the method. Also Bodmas is imperfect when you see the addition and subtraction phase of the order bring out inconsistencies in one form of the equation versus the other. So it requires extra scrutiny and rules to decide which is the better answer.
I just modelled enough equations above to show how the process i originally used ,can both yield the correct answer and a confusing answer depending on the make up of the equation.
In this case, i would add a rule to Bodmas to settle the confusion, saying that after all operations before the final addition and subtraction, any value in the lineup to be subtracted must be moved to the very last place in the equation line up. This rule also supports why Subtraction is listed last in the Order of Bodmas even though addition and subtraction are often said to be interchangeable.
That would solve the issue and yeild 7 in the OP's equation, and i solved for a resulting 7 using the same method and added brackets as i did when yeilding 5. The big difference was rearranging the equation so that the negative property values were moved to the very end of the line up of numbers to be added and subtracted.

The rule i am explaing of bodmas is that this confusion is solved by making sure to rearrange the equation so that all negative property values are last in the line up of the final Bodmas phase of adding and subtracting. Even so this rule is arbitrary or debateable as i will show in the below example with oranges.

Thats a good rule especially when you see the practicality of it with the Zero/0 in the original equation by OP
But, in the case of 6-1+1, is the answer truly (6-1)+1 or is it 6-(1+1)? Nodmas will lead us in one direction if we put the subtraction in last place of the order of process.
If i had 6 oranges and then added one, i would have 7 and if i then subtracted one, i would have 6. But, if i had six oranges and subtracted a number of them equal to the value of 1+1, i would have 4 oranges after subtracting 2.
The zero suntraction is more straight forward ,but when replaced with 1, it is not so straight forward.
So Bodmas comes in to help arbitrate an order and even so the issue of the last step of final addition and subtraction can be confused unless a final compromise rule is observed along the lines of Subtraction properties being moved to the rear of the line up of values being added and subtracted.. Positives in the front and negative in the back. That would yeild 7 as the answer of OP' s original equation.

My issue is not the matter of a right or wrong answer, but looking at the arbitrary nature of math and its principles. Exploring Dialectics in math or simple arithmetic. When you look at pure math outside of the rules and symbols, what is really going on and what is the reason behind it? are there options and is there good reason for one option or the other depending on the circumstances.

Like i have been saying, Trust me when i say i agree with your answer 7, but there is more to consider than just being right or wrong in math.
Math is an amazing maze with many ways and as dialectic as languages and their many dialects. If you truly understood the rules behind math, you will have the critical thinking to evolve math into the next great theorum rather than just be a job holder doing the grind within the sytem that has been constructed for you by unkown minds while they tell you what is right or wrong. Think for your self, try brackets where they say not to, try rephrasing in an alternate arrangement and take the risk of being wrong because there is the chance to learn something more beyond the box we are conditioned to remain in. Math is malleable and here in US it has now started in primary schools a new system for solving math that many university graduates are confounded by because it defys the system they were taught in the same schools back in their days. Many parents are furious about it as well.
The schools change according to the change in school of thought and it starts with random people like you or you exploring beyond the set boundaries of old.
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by 19naia(m): 12:30pm On Jul 30, 2015
Handsome4real:

Your maths solving skill ain't right... Olodo grin

Handsome4real:

Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by 19naia(m): 12:31pm On Jul 30, 2015
Handsome4real:

Who told you to add bracket?
You be olodo grin
Handsome4real:

Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by iloveophyta: 12:50pm On Jul 30, 2015
success254:

jesu ahn ahn....
bros you go primary school at all?
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by 19naia(m): 1:07pm On Jul 30, 2015
SadiqDO:

You keep talking about "Mathe", pure maths, dialects and what not. If you could only bring some evidence for your claims. But please don't say that BODMAS is being used incorrectly. Here's what Wikipedia says about the order of operations:

The order of operations used throughout mathematics, science, technology and many computer programming languages is expressed here:[2]

- exponents and roots
- multiplication and division
- addition and subtraction

(Source: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_operations )

So it's Addition AND Subtraction. NOT addition then Subtraction. Both have Equal order of precedence. Neither precedes the other. Please.

Simply put: if I have 6 oranges in a bag, take away none (zero) and then add 1 orange, how many would there be in the bag eventually?! 5?! Or 7?

Like many have said, this is primary school maths and it's quite sad a simple question like this has become a debate. It's a challenge for us to step up our game and improve ourselves intellectually. There are many resources in the Web for learning - instead of wasting data money and time on gossip, movies and what not. And then we complain we can't get jobs!! We really are the bane of our own problems.

If the equation were such that it compressed to be 6-1+1 ?
I could say that i have (6-1)+1 or 6-(1+1).
The first would be the same as saying i have six oranges and then i subtract one to have five and then i add one to bring me back to six.

The other phrasing or interpretation could go as having six oranges and then subtracting a number of them equal to the value of one plus one which is equal to two. That would leave me with 4 oranges.

In the case where you had subtraction of zero oranges, it was more straight forward to your point of being 7 as the answer.

But when you consider in a dialectic way and open minded consideration, you will see the same straight forward interpretation is not the same in all cases. I respect your respect for syntax, but there is the matter of semantics that makes variable interpretations defy a standard one rule fits all... Bodmas has been about arbitrating what is truly an amorphous thing ( math ).

And Yes there is a reason why subtraction is listed after addition in the order of Bodmas and it makes a differnce
Look at 6-0+1. When i have followed bodmas all the way down to the final step of addition and subtraction, there is a final rule to consider to simplify the confusion that can happen such as the parradox i explained above with 6-1+1..
The rule that helps arbitrate the two different ways of approaching 6-1+1, also simplifies the approach to the answer of 7 in the case of 6-0+1.
That rule is: when you have a final line up of numbers to be added and subtracted for a final total, Move all the subtraction properties and their values to the rear of the lineup and let the additive properties and their values stay in the front of the line up.
Such as rephrasing 6-0+1 as 6+1-0.. That will settle the matter as 7 and explain why itwas a better idea to put subtraction as the last in the order of process called BODMAS

In the case of 6-1+1, it is more abitrary, could go either way depending on interpretation and so the rule used for Bodmas will determine if we take 6 oranges and subtract a value equal to one and one oranges to have four remain, or if we take six oranges and subtract one orange and then add one back to remain with 6.
Bodmas will tell us to move the subtraction to the very last place and then we have 6+1-1=6. Rephrasing to have the suntractin be last in the lineup

This is my explanation about dialectics revealing the nature of pure math and why we are taught math with rules and formulas that arbitrate math's tendency to go many different directions to find varied results.
The truth of math is dialectic and as malleable as languages and their many dialects and interpretations. Only imperfect or arbitrary rules, formulas and standards help arbitrate math so that we dont all run around with a thousand differnet languages and confusion, or should i say a thousand different answers to the same equations.

I really love open mindedness in the face of pure math which invloves simple arithmetic equations as well as quantum theory conundrums.
Open minds will denifinitley guide me out of the small box of a stagnant job labouring away at someone else's individual profit making, rules and ways of seeing the world.
The truth is that even schools in USA are changing the way math is done in primary school ,and the old university graduates are furious because they dont find it easy to do and they feel cheated.. But thats what happens when people think that life is one concrete standard, method, formula or interpretation.
Even wikipedia will have to regulary update itself over time as more is revealed in the world and all subjects and matters at hand evolve in human understanding.
We will never reach the evolution by staying stuck in a box just to qualify for a job or justify a rigid way of thinking and living.. Open the mind and discover beyond what has been conditioned within by those who came before. Thats how life will become better and understanding expand.

I am trying myself, not easy to make sense of so much confusion.
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by mrsuccessful(m): 1:10pm On Jul 30, 2015
iloveophyta:

jesu ahn ahn....
bros you go primary school at all?

The answer is 7 use calculator if you doubt
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by semitunde: 1:21pm On Jul 30, 2015
19naia:

The first would be the same as saying i have six oranges and then i subtract one to have five and then i add one to bring me back to six.

The other phrasing or interpretation could go as having six oranges and then subtracting a number of them equal to the value of one plus one which is equal to two. That would leave me with 4 oranges.

In the case where you had subtraction of zero oranges, it was more straight forward to your point of being 7 as the answer.

But when you consider in a dialectic way and open minded consideration, you will see the same straight forward interpretation is not the same in all cases. I respect your respect for syntax, but there is the matter of semantics that makes variable interpretations defy a standard one rule fits all... Bodmas has been about arbitrating what is truly an amorphous thing ( math ).

And Yes there is a reason why subtraction is listed after addition in the order of Bodmas and it makes a differnce
Look at 6-0+1. When i have followed bodmas all the way down to the final step of addition and subtraction, there is a final rule to consider to simplify the confusion that can happen such as the parradox i explained above with 6-1+1..
The rule that helps arbitrate the two different ways of approaching 6-1+1, also simplifies the approach to the answer of 7 in the case of 6-0+1.
That rule is: when you have a final line up of numbers to be added and subtracted for a final total, Move all the subtraction properties and their values to the rear of the lineup and let the additive properties and their values stay in the front of the line up.
Such as rephrasing 6-0+1 as 6+1-0.. That will settle the matter as 7 and explain why itwas a better idea to put subtraction as the last in the order of process called BODMAS

In the case of 6-1+1, it is more abitrary, could go either way depending on interpretation and so the rule used for Bodmas will determine if we take 6 oranges and subtract a value equal to one and one oranges to have four remain, or if we take six oranges and subtract one orange and then add one back to remain with 6.
Bodmas will tell us to move the subtraction to the very last place and then we have 6+1-1=6. Rephrasing to have the suntractin be last in the lineup

This is my explanation about dialectics revealing the nature of pure math and why we are taught math with rules and formulas that arbitrate math's tendency to go many different directions to find varied results.
The truth of math is dialectic and as malleable as languages and their many dialects and interpretations. Only imperfect or arbitrary rules, formulas and standards help arbitrate math so that we dont all run around with a thousand differnet languages and confusion, or should i say a thousand different answers to the same equations.

I really love open mindedness in the face of pure math which invloves simple arithmetic equations as well as quantum theory conundrums.
Open minds will denifinitley guide me out of the small box of a stagnant job labouring away at someone else's individual profit making, rules and ways of seeing the world.
The truth is that even schools in USA are changing the way math is done in primary school ,and the old university graduates are furious because they dont find it easy to do and they feel cheated.. But thats what happens when people think that life is one concrete standard, method, formula or interpretation.
Even wikipedia will have to regulary update itself over time as more is revealed in the world and all subjects and matters at hand evolve in human understanding.
We will never reach the evolution by staying stuck in a box just to qualify for a job or justify a rigid way of thinking and living.. Open the mind and discover beyond what has been conditioned within by those who came before. Thats how life will become better and understanding expand.

I am trying myself, not easy to make sense of so much confusion.

Your explanation is on point and I like it, but you know what? Strictly using the bodmas also gives you the same answer of 7. The trick there is to know how to use the bracket

You have ; 6-0+1 right? Bodmas says addition before subtraction so you should convert it thus:
6-(0-1)= 6-(-1)= 7.

This can also work.with the 6-1+1 that you termed arbitrary.
Its 6-(1-1)= 6-(0)= 6.

The trick is to know how to use the bracket when needed.
QED.
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by semitunde: 1:40pm On Jul 30, 2015
For those of you still getting confused about all this... Use real life examples!

For instance, let's consider: 6-1+2

The wrong answer would be 6-3=3

The correct answer would be 6-(1-2)= 6-(-1)=7.

Let say Mike has 6 oranges he brought to a table, Ben took 1 orange and Brian added 2 oranges. How many will finally be on the table? Ofcourse 7!

The only way the other analogy can work is if we say: Mike brought 6 oranges to a table, Ben took 1 orange and Brian brought 2 oranges and gave to Ben.

But then with the above, we will be left with 4 oranges on the table as against 3 that was in the wrong calculation! Meaning the calculation that resulted in having 3 oranges, however you look at it, is wrong.
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by fruitfulBROTHER(m): 2:25pm On Jul 30, 2015
ben1daEbiri:
pls who is your maths teacherwere there brackets in the question?
see claiming.... Weting u dey claim now. So if bbracket no dey for it, u wont apply BODMAS? U be correct student
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by fruitfulBROTHER(m): 2:25pm On Jul 30, 2015
ben1daEbiri:
pls who is your maths teacherwere there brackets in the question?
see claiming.... Weting u dey claim now. So if bbracket no dey for it, u wont apply BODMAS? U be correct student. Think am....
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by Weah96: 2:35pm On Jul 30, 2015
semitunde:

Your explanation is on point and I like it, but you know what? Strictly using the bodmas also gives you the same answer of 7. The trick there is to know how to use the bracket

You have ; 6-0+1 right? Bodmas says addition before subtraction so you should convert it thus:
6-(0-1)= 6-(-1)= 7.

This can also work.with the 6-1+1 that you termed arbitrary.
Its 6-(1-1)= 6-(0)= 7.

The trick is to know how to use the bracket when needed.
QED.
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by semitunde: 2:39pm On Jul 30, 2015
[quote author=Weah96 post=36430138][/quote]

When it comes to maths, be very sure of yourself before crossing others OK?

Modified: you should have just corrected the answer, not flay the calculation, which is correct.
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by Weah96: 2:45pm On Jul 30, 2015
semitunde:

When it comes to maths, be very sure of yourself before crossing others OK?

Modified: you should have just corrected the answer, not flay the calculation, which is correct.

Dude, it was obviously a typo. Don't be so defensive. Even mad people know that 6 minus 0 is not 7.

1 Like

Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by Moostar(m): 2:53pm On Jul 30, 2015
ADMISSION! ADMISSION!! ADMISSION!!!
Cry no more,GAIN ADMISSION into 200 level through an IJMBE A'level program into any University of your choice without JAMB.

Every year, hundreds of thousand candidates sit for JAMB (UTME), but at the end just a few percentages of all the students that go through the pain of writing the exam do make it and afterwards you still have to pass the post utme exam before you can secure an admission. DO YOU NOW HAVE TO TRY THIS EVERY YEAR WHEN THERE IS A SURE AND BETTER WAY OUT FOR YOU? YES YOU HEARD ME, A BETTER WAY OUT.

The good news for admission seekers like you is that you don’t have to wait for another jamb before you gain your admission, not even to 100 level but 200 level of your university of choice. So stop wasting your time and resources in writing JAMB every year when there is a sure way of securing an admission and the sure way is IJMBE A' Level program.

IJMBE IS AN A’LEVEL PROGRAM THAT MEANS (INTERIM JOINT MATRICULATION BOARD EXAMINATION) MODERATED BY AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY (A.B.U), ZARIA WITH CENTER AFFLIATED IN
ILORIN.It is a 9months intensive program,IJMB program is just like you are in 100level and it’s designed in such a way that candidate with deficiencies in English and Mathematics in their O’level result can still participate.And unlike JAMB results which expires every year, A'Level results is just like your WAEC or NECO results which doesn’t expire and can also be used in securing admission abroad.

Application forms are now
Only on sale @ IJMB study Centre in ILORIN.
NOTE:Sales of IJMB form is not available online and in the banks.You have to come down to ILORIN to obtain the form yourself,beware of scammers online.
Hurry now to purchase form as you are
guaranteed a place in 200 Level in any universities of your choice.

WHO CAN APPLY
•OND/NCE student which result is not up to standard(good enough) to secure admission into unversity
•Student seeking admission into any university
•Student who fail JAMB/post JAMB exam
•Student who pass JAMB/post JAMB but unable to get admission
•Student who did not sit for JAMB exam at all
•Student with deficiency in English and Mathematics
•Student who just graduated from SSS 3
•Student awaiting results

IJMB ACCEPTABILITY:All universities in Nigeria accept IJMB.
NB: The hostel is in the school premises which makes it convenient and easy for students to attend lectures regularly without stress.
For more information or registration contact Gurustar Educational Consult on (Whatsapp) 08167000693 or 09097444213
EWA PIN:23B2F37D.
NOTE: CHECK PAGE 4 OF JAMB BROCHURE ITEM 2.2 (2) TO CONFIRM IJMB AS A REQUIREMENT FOR UNIVERSITY ADMISSION
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by bayulll01(m): 5:30pm On Jul 30, 2015
19naia:

With all the gibberish you wrote down there,you are not a first class graduate,pass preferable
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by SadiqDO(m): 6:20pm On Jul 30, 2015
19naia:

I once taught JS2 students factorization and at least a few of then would understand very well that 6-1+1 is not equal to 6-(1+1). Rather, 6-1+1 = 6-(1-1) [by factorization rules, if you want to bring out the minus sign].

It's either you're making a big mistake or all this talk from you is just one big joke!
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by frankobobby(m): 6:54pm On Jul 30, 2015
dis simple maths trending for some days nw wen my PRIMARY 4 pupil knows it is 7
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by donchizzy07(m): 8:17pm On Jul 30, 2015
hollowpot15684:

Believe me using bodmas ordinarily will give u both 5 and 7 as the ansa.
Proving in this case will solve the qst.

that's not true.. maths is very precise and can't give u different solutions to a problem..
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by hilli666(m): 8:45pm On Jul 30, 2015
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by 19naia(m): 4:26pm On Jul 31, 2015
SadiqDO:

I once taught JS2 students factorization and at least a few of then would understand very well that 6-1+1 is not equal to 6-(1+1). Rather, 6-1+1 = 6-(1-1) [by factorization rules, if you want to bring out the minus sign].

It's either you're making a big mistake or all this talk from you is just one big joke!

Before i start, Thank you for taking the time to help me think about all of this and brush off the dust from my math experiences. Please trust that i appreciate your input regardless of any disagreement.

When you have 6-(1+1), Bodmas clearly states that before doing any thing (such as bringing out minus signs where there were none at point of origin) Solve first and foremost within the bracket. Once we put or have brackets, we must stop all progress or stop all bringing out or in of minus or any symbols. Yes stop all progress except that of solving only within brackets without concern for what properties or values are outside the brackets. There are no exponents in this matter either.
So the brackets containing (1+1) must be solved as is ,before reaching anything to do with any minus symbol outside the brackets.
Bodmas requires that you ignore all other signs and values other than fisrtly the signs and values inside the brackets. There are no exponents and bodmas certainly does not say "before solving inside the brackets, reach to one minus sign out side d bracket and put inside the bracket to to sway the end results that will appear after all brackets have been solved.

I tried many different configurations and different placements of brackets such as (6-1)+1 and 6-(1+1). And only 6-(1+1) makes the exception of yeilding 4 while staying within the confines of Bodams such that brakets are solved first before doing any manipulation such as bringing in or out any minus signs.
But all other configurations,rearrangments yeild 6 as the answer ,according to the same rules i followed for yielding the answer of 4 in only one configuration.
So we have six configurations yeilding 6 as the answer and one configurations yeilding 4 as the answer.
So by law of averages, 6 is the best and most consistent answer.
The same goes with the OP equation that compressed into 6-0+1. Most of the possible configurations will yeild 7 as the answer and even the most practical display with oranges will yeild 7 with no dialectic or alternate interpretation appearant because the zero value or zero orange is simply non existent.
But one configuration yeilds 5 as the answer while true to form of bodmas and basic factoring.
The best answer is 7 by law of averages because several configurations yeild 7 and only one yeilds 5.

I still think you have subordinated Bodmas as i explained above, can you lead me through your "rule of factoring" method and explain it for me to show that you understand it and can show all the steps along the way to reach your correct answer.
Is your "factoring rule" practical enough to explain with oranges? Or can you explain the steps you took to go from 6-1+1 to 6-(1-1) ?

According to factoring rules i know 6-1+1=x is arbitray and open to different routes possible but Bodmas is the best guidline along those routes and that would forbid me from doing any factoring other than solving within the brackets or install brackets to group additive properties apart from subtractive properties which will give me 6-(1+1)= 6-(2) and that is 6-2=4.. Also i can make 6-1+1 into sections with the additive and subtractive areas as (6-1)+1= (5)+1=5+1=6.
So why the two differnt answers? What rule can come in a settle the matter?
As i said earlier, i implement rearranging the equation so that the subtractive property is last in the line up of properties such as 6+1-1. Then you can do 6+(1-1)= 6+(0)=6+0= 6
Also you can do(6+1)-1= (7)-1 =7-1 = 6.
The arbitrary method works here just fine but creats confusion if we dont rearrange to have subtraction in the last place of the line up.
Bodmas is the issue here and understanding particular detail about bodmas..

Please reference my calculator photo shots below to see what my calculator gave me as a result.
Even the calculator gave me 4 as the result for 6-(1+1) and gave me 5 as the result for 6-(0+1)
So i know the calculator is following certain rules but it does not provide the assignment of brackets in solving.
So how do we determine the proper place to put brackets? The truth is that it is abitrary. Another rule has to come in and arbitrate.
I follow Bodmas closely as possible and as far as rearranging the line up of additive and subtractive properties so that suntractive is very last and it will yeild the correct answer as determined by calculator, various method approach and selecting the final answer out of inconsistencies by the law of averages method. The answer that occurs most often in the various methods applied, is right.

This isnt about right or wrong or joking, it is about the arbitray nature of maths and the wide range of dialectics possible along the way.
My calculator said 4 as the answer for 6-(1+1) and it said 6 is the answer for 6-(1-1). The placement of brackets is correct and will give a different answer when i use the same bracket placement but only after rearranging the plus or minus properties in the first open line up of 6-1+1, to have subtraction be last in line as Bodmas orders, such as 6+1-1.

Your rules of factoring and the introduction of the minus symbol is yet to be explained from a point of understanding that reveals the arbitrary nature of math. And i believe when we put your rules of factoring to the test, it will prove to also have some instances of inconsistency that can be arbitrated through following Bodmas more strictly or intorducing other rules or details of the rules of Bodmas.

The rules are sometimes arbitrary compromises, like Phi is an arbitrary compromise, imperfect but used in its limited form to solve for circle dimensions.
The arbitrary nature still stands as fact such as 6-1+1 can be seen as 6 oranges minus one orange and then adding one orange after the one was subtracted from the six.. The result will be six oranges remaining
As, a possible dialect or alternate interpretation, 6-1+1 can be seen as having six oranges and then subtracting Two oranges as the function of subtracting an amount of oranges equal to one plus one oranges, that will give an answer of four oranges remaining.
It is also the same as 6-1-1 being seen as 6 oranges with one orange subtracted and then another one orange subtracted to have four remaining.
Factoring itself is also arbitrary with various ways to go about it and some extra rules to add along the way to arbitrate instances of inconsistency.
I also go by trying various configurations by the same method and even with inconsistent answers, there will be a particular answer that results more often than the other, and then i use law of averages to go with the answer that occurs more often in all of the approaches taken.

JS2 math must be fun, but i cannot reside there because learning higher math is about seeing the intricacies and the philosophies behind all the methods we were taught and then understanding that many other options are available and waiting to be discovered.
It will never happen if we stick to one perspective and approach and hide from the risk of a mistake. Many mistakes have been windows into newly discovered methods and this holds true for math, chemistry and more. Even a chemistry formula calculated and mixed wrong led to the discover of many different substances that made for superior performing materials and substances.
Music theory is the same, many mistakes made in the arrangement of musical factors led to entire new styles of music or an entirely new song.
Its not about right or wrong or joking, its about seeing deeper to the matter.
I schooled under math in different countries and various approaches were taught.
I schooled under english in various countries and spelling and pronouciation and acceptable words varied between the two countries.
Labor became Labour and color became colour, spanner became wrench and boot became trunk.
Its Arbitrary. There is the dialectic.

Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by april4mee(m): 1:30pm On Aug 01, 2015
you are asked to answer with IT. not solve the maths. the examiner already puts his/her answer as ?. just answer " IT."
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by Kemmy210(f): 10:49pm On Aug 10, 2015
With the use of BODMAS: 6-1*0+(2/2)= 6-1*0+1 =6-(1*0)+1 =6-0+1 =6-(0+1)=6-1 =5
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by Nobody: 7:01am On Aug 11, 2015
Re: Many Persons Will Fail This Maths (photo) by Asiandragon: 3:01am On Jul 23, 2017
For those who think that according to BODMAS, addition comes before subtraction, I'm here to tell you. NO! You are absolutely INCORRECT. Addition and subtraction are done in order from left to right! And here's proof:
This step is the part were people do it wrong -
6-0+1 = 7. People say it's 5...
6-0+1 = -(-6+0-1)
I think that's pretty much agreeable right? Just did a double negative.
-(-6+0-1) = -(-6-1)= -(-7) = 7
I even did addition before subtraction cause "those guys" hold a strong belief that "addition comes before subtraction according to BODMAS"
Therefore, 6-0+1 = 7 as well.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Things Most Of Us Think Are The Same But Are Not (pictures) / Secondary Students Celebrate Graduation By Carrying Their Colleague Up / Is This The Most Beautiful University In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 181
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.