Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,403 members, 7,808,437 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:58 AM

My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. - Properties (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. (42883 Views)

DIY Thread - Homeowners And Supliers / DIY Construction Of My House In PH. / The DIY Drawing Of My Floor Plan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by enrilove12: 8:34pm On Aug 01, 2015
You really don't need all this Sir....Start to think and do something to save your project because more weight will be added to that building as finishing progresses. ...Sinking down 3feets within a month is not a good sign. .its sounds scary to me
Qc1:

How dare you come out here with this lies? Don't you have a shame at all? I'm so ashamed of you that I can't even mention your name!

When and where did you ever proposed a solution to me? You called what you posted on nairaland a solution? Did I paid you through nairaland? Did I complained to you through nairaland? Was the land physically on nairaland? Did you examined the land through nairaland? Do you even know how much your negligence have cost?

Do not mistaken a kindness for stupidity. I shared the blame because I was warned my others here yet I trusted you. I've not called you out because I don't want to embarrass you. How dare you posted this nonsense about telling me any suggestions? Even if I said nothing can't you hide your shame?

May the Lord be my withness if you ever face to face tell me about this.

This fact you display this here just display your characters.

Wow!

2 Likes

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by brabus(m): 8:39pm On Aug 01, 2015
@OP,

It still doesn't change the fact that I told you everything.

Before I go ahead and share a post on this forum, we've already discussed it.

https://www.nairaland.com/1338637/chateau-ile-oluji-construction-journal/44#20528892
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 8:39pm On Aug 01, 2015
enrilove12:

There is one good structural Engr living close to your site at Ikorodu there...he is handlling my project as well in a worst terrain than yours. When it rains heavily., My compound never had any water on it even while its raining till date for abt 3years now...its flows out ..will give you his details on request but be ready to do as he tells you because he doesn't compromise on quality..

I think a good drainage will stop this problem. I haven't done any drainage yet because I'm planning to do a massive one that will solved the problem once and for all.
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 8:46pm On Aug 01, 2015
brabus:
@OP,

It still doesn't change the fact that I told you everything.

Before I go ahead and share a post on this forum, we've already discussed it.

https://www.nairaland.com/1338637/chateau-ile-oluji-construction-journal/44#20528892

You never discussed anything with me. You ran away and the only place you will talk was on this forum after how many months?
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by brabus(m): 8:52pm On Aug 01, 2015
Qc1:

You never discussed anything with me. You ran away and the only place you will talk was on this forum.

Ok sir.

Just a gentle reminder.

On the 30th January 2015, when you call me to come for the roofing of the building. I checked the structure and told you we need to do underpinning before installation of any roof which at first you were reluctant to do.

If you remember, I also advice you not to go for Stone-coated tiles due to the weight on the structure and recommended step tiles.

You'll recollect I did the underpining first before any wood was place on the structure.
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Nobody: 9:03pm On Aug 01, 2015
brabus:
@Hajji, I wish I have the power to do just about anything I like in a project. Take unilateral decisions when resolving problems. But here I am, I saw the problem, I found the source of the problem, I researched and proposed a fix but it was never implemented even after pointing out the dangers of not doing so.
I knew the neighbour is not financially buoyant to do anything about the problem or maybe unconcerned. So what am I supposed to do in this case? Was any of the proposed implemented? Why?

This is not the time to point accusing fingers. This is time to fix the problem and stop the blame game.

I'm sure the OP will remember what I told him when I left the project because of low budget for the perimeter fence and the drainage before it became DIY and eventually fell down.

We all need to listen to professional advices when we have opportunity to get one. Even get 100th opinion when in least doubt. And stop rushing projects especially in difficult terrains.

Even after doing the underpinning in January 2015, I still suggest the sandfilling of the compound before the rainy season. Has it been done? I'm not sure.

Mr. Brabus, your reputation precedes you Sir.

Here's a question that I have for you. Did you continue to do further work on the property even though your recommended suggestions were not followed?

Here's where professionalism comes into place and my motto of "I reserve the right to refuse service" comes into play.

6 Likes

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 9:07pm On Aug 01, 2015
brabus:

Ok sir.

Just a gentle reminder.

On the 30th January 2015, when you call me to come for the roofing of the building. I checked the structure and told you we need to do underpinning before installation of any roof which at first you were reluctant to do.

If you remember, I also advice you not to go for Stone-coated tiles due to the weight on the structure and recommended step tiles.

You'll recollect I did the underpining first before any wood was place on the structure.

YES this you did. Thus was the first time we will discussed about the solution and never before.

I did exactly what you suggested but the point is this was more than one year after the problem. Moreover, I supervised all the job done on the site by myself (as I've done with most of the job before) after I got tired of your MIA.
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by brabus(m): 9:09pm On Aug 01, 2015
EgunMogaji:

Mr. Brabus, your reputation precedes you Sir.

Here's a question that I have for you. Did you continue to do further work on the property even though your recommended suggestions were not followed?

Here's where professionalism comes into place and my motto of "I reserve the right to refuse service" comes into play.

Of course, I left the project when the recommendations were not followed. The time to implement those fix was when we wanted to do the perimeter fencing and drainage. The foundation is still 3 boards over natural ground level.

Even when I was called back, the first thing I did was to stop the settlement and recommend further solutions to deal with the problem. Im sure the OP will remember he didn't call me back to come and fix the foundation but to roof the structure but I said the settlement needs to be fixed first.

Pic: the picture of the foundation when we discovered the source of the problem.

1 Like

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 9:21pm On Aug 01, 2015
brabus:

Of course, I left the project when the recommendations were not followed. The time to implement those fix was when we wanted to do the perimeter fencing and drainage. The foundation is still 3 boards over natural ground level.

Even when I was called back, the first thing I did was to stop the settlement and recommend further solutions to deal with the problem. Im sure the OP will remember he didn't call me back to come and fix the foundation but to roof the structure but I said the settlement needs to be fixed first.

Pic: the picture of the foundation when we discovered the source of the problem.

The picture posted was just maybe 20 days after breaking the ground. Other competent builders here will have discovered the problem even before commencing anything on the land. When you were digging the earth for the raft didn't you see the land?

1 Like

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by brabus(m): 9:28pm On Aug 01, 2015
Qc1:

The picture posted was just maybe 20 days after breaking the ground. Other competent builders here will have discovered the problem even before commencing anything on the land. When you were digging the earth for the raft didn't you see the land?

Bros I'm not other builder and I don't claim to know it all. It's explains the reason I posted this early enough to seek the opinion of the other experts. Afterall, two good heads are better than one. One of the reason why I love this forum.

https://www.nairaland.com/1338637/chateau-ile-oluji-construction-journal/44#20537007

At that point, if we've implemented every solution. We may not have a carcass but we will have succeeded in stabilizing the ground which is the main problem.
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Nobody: 9:37pm On Aug 01, 2015
brabus:

Thanks for the response.

I'm an Ijebu man to the core and being thrifty is in my core. It's part of my DNA and I know of no other way.

BUT I always tell people that I hire and will hire (Nairalander contractors please heed this) that they are the professionals, they should never follow along with any kakamimi money saving scheme that I may come up with if it will impact there professionalism and ability to deliver a job that is in line with their portfolio.

Mr. Brabus, since you have hands on experience on this project and matter, I ask that you approach the OP offline and help him sort this out. Even if it will mean money out of your pocket. Unfortunately your name will forever be linked to this project good or bad.

And people like me judge individuals/companies not based on how they act when things are straight but I judge them on how they react and respond when things are bent.

Just think of the advertisement that you'll get from this by showing how you saved an edifice from sinking further.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 9:43pm On Aug 01, 2015
brabus:

Bros I'm not other builder and I don't claim to know it all. It's explains the reason I posted this early enough to seek the opinion of the other experts. Afterall, two good heads are better than one. One of the reason why I love this forum.

https://www.nairaland.com/1338637/chateau-ile-oluji-construction-journal/44#20537007

At that point, if we've implemented every solution. We may not have a carcass but we will have succeeded in stabilizing the ground which is the main problem.

But yet you continue to work abi? Have I ever refused to released any funds for anything?
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by brabus(m): 9:44pm On Aug 01, 2015
Nice one @EgunMogaji

Your points well noted. The OP is my BIG bro. That's the way we normally relate.

@Qc1, Baba abi no be so?
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 9:49pm On Aug 01, 2015
brabus:
Nice one @EgunMogaji

Your points well noted. The OP is my BIG bro. That's the way we normally relate.

@Qc1, Baba abi no be so?

Do the needful and leave other things outta this! angry angry angry

5 Likes

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by brabus(m): 9:55pm On Aug 01, 2015
Qc1:

Do the needful and leave other things outta this! angry angry angry

Pls call me +2348023429122 or whatsapp
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 10:07pm On Aug 01, 2015
brabus:

Pls call me +2348023429122 or whatsapp

Hmmmmm. ...

@ all

I want to thank you for your contributions, keep it coming.

Please note that I never call anyone out because I believe we are all human and no one is above mistakes.

I've worked so hard to support brabus in the past and I don't believe in destroying the good that I've done regardless the aftermath circumstances.

You've all being great! Respect!

2 Likes

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 10:09pm On Aug 01, 2015
BTW

any solution to question# 2?
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by semitunde: 12:55am On Aug 02, 2015
Qc1:

Had brabus added just two coaches of blocks on the raft before DPC, I will never have no problem. I'm not an engineer so I trusted him to do his job which he failed. If I was him, I would have constructed set of concrete piles before the raft. He observed the neighborhood and the houses there before the construction, yet failed to come up with better ideas. Clients worked very hard for their money. It's not just fair when builders makes this kind of silly mistakes.

I'm just trying to find a solution at this point because finger pointing won't solved nothing.

The house have stop sinking but I'm still afraid. This is not lekki and the houses in front of me was built maybe 10 years ago and it has no problem except for the fence the owner had to do 3 times. The bungalow next to me is pretty bad though. The owner just don't care much about it.

I will continue to seek a better way to get the water out. What so funny was that it stays only on the left side of the fence only. And I've spent a lot to do my best which seems not just enough for now.
I'm waiting for the dry season to do a massive drainage which me luck!

This is rather unfortunate.

I remember the initial thread and the suggested solutions to the problems then...

My take is:

1. Pls you can still do some of what brabus suggested I.e. construct a V-drain on the side the water is coming from( outside the wall) and drain away.

2. I would disagree with brabus on planting within the area though. I think its better to pave or use interlocking in the compound. Slope it gently in the same direction as the natural flow of water there and provide a drain along the wall, withing the compound where the water can collect. Drain it out from there. Keeping your compound and hence foundation area as dry as possible means disallowing the soaking of water withing the compound. Run it all off.

3. Pls where is the site located? Just the area or state. Piling, which should have been the best option could have been revealed with proper soil test. But information about the general area and other building foundations there could have formed the decision of the contractor/ structural ENGR in deciding on raft ( and the type of raft used).

4. Sad as this might be, adding 2 or 3 courses to the block wall above the raft will ameliorate the situation. Its not guaranteed to solve the problem. If the bearing capacity of the soil underneath the building is low and probably below the water table; the building will sink more with added weight. Though the weight from tiling shouldn't really be the big deal here, so you can tile. You best bet is constructing those drains.

5. Use electric wired fence to keep the pests out.

I have a site in Ogun state like this too, inclined and just by the main stream. Only difference is there's isn't runoff and the soil there is well compacted at a particular depth. I went for that depth.

2 Likes

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 2:21am On Aug 02, 2015
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by gabbytabby: 2:07pm On Aug 02, 2015
segcymoor:

.. As a matter of fact, many house in lekki/ajah axis is in the process of similar experience .....sooner or later.
You see .it amazed me the way some foundation is being approach especially in this environment. Due to the nature of the terrain the so called engr will just sand fill and started building. .With disregard to what is underneath (because they can't no because of water) even if filled with load bearing soil like sharp sand. ....the fact still remains underneath may not safe!

Tell me about it. I see a lot of disaster waiting to happen. They open the roof of bungalow and start building upstairs without adequate foundation.
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 2:31pm On Aug 02, 2015
It is well in Jesus name.
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 2:38pm On Aug 02, 2015
I forget to tell make clear that I also filled the perimeters with about 20 x 20 tons of red filling sand, which was not a very good idea. I should have used sharp sand. This also make it look like the house was virtually sinking.
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by ABEngine(m): 3:41pm On Aug 02, 2015
Good job... following
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Nobody: 3:53pm On Aug 02, 2015
ABEngine:
Good job... following

Oboy you don hammer? Lol. I got gist for you. Plus, uhm, your input is needed.
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by ABEngine(m): 3:57pm On Aug 02, 2015
Scrypt:

Oboy you don hammer? Lol. I got gist for you. Plus, uhm, your input is needed.

Nnayi gist me sharp sharp. I'm harvesting information at the moment. How you dey?
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 02, 2015
ABEngine:

Nnayi gist me sharp sharp. I'm harvesting information at the moment. How you dey?

Lol. This info is for linkedin. Not for a house. grin
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 5:40pm On Aug 02, 2015
semitunde:

This is rather unfortunate.

I remember the initial thread and the suggested solutions to the problems then...

My take is:

1. Pls you can still do some of what brabus suggested I.e. construct a V-drain on the side the water is coming from( outside the wall) and drain away.

2. I would disagree with brabus on planting within the area though. I think its better to pave or use interlocking in the compound. Slope it gently in the same direction as the natural flow of water there and provide a drain along the wall, withing the compound where the water can collect. Drain it out from there. Keeping your compound and hence foundation area as dry as possible means disallowing the soaking of water withing the compound. Run it all off.

3. Pls where is the site located? Just the area or state. Piling, which should have been the best option could have been revealed with proper soil test. But information about the general area and other building foundations there could have formed the decision of the contractor/ structural ENGR in deciding on raft ( and the type of raft used).

4. Sad as this might be, adding 2 or 3 courses to the block wall above the raft will ameliorate the situation. Its not guaranteed to solve the problem. If the bearing capacity of the soil underneath the building is low and probably below the water table; the building will sink more with added weight. Though the weight from tiling shouldn't really be the big deal here, so you can tile. You best bet is constructing those drains.

5. Use electric wired fence to keep the pests out.

I have a site in Ogun state like this too, inclined and just by the main stream. Only difference is there's isn't runoff and the soil there is well compacted at a particular depth. I went for that depth.

Thanks boss, your input is well appreciated.
Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 6:32pm On Aug 02, 2015
@semitunde

The image below shows the level of the house which is still standing about 13.5 coaches tall. The inside is the same level with the outside. The boy in blue is about 5f 11" tall, this gives you the more ideas about the height. At this point, the very first picture I posted on this thread (the raft) is completely disappeared but the house haven't sink for about a year now. The roof was done in February and I've observed the house haven't sink at all (This picture is less then 2 weeks old). My worries is; if I go ahead and cover the floors with marble and part of the wall too, will it sink? if so how much?

I'm waiting for the dry season to do the drainage.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by semitunde: 7:41pm On Aug 02, 2015
Qc1:
@semitunde

The image below shows the level of the house which is still standing about 13.5 coaches tall. The inside is the same level with the outside. The boy in blue is about 5f 11" tall, this gives you the more ideas about the height. At this point, the very first picture I posted on this thread (the raft) is completely disappeared but the house haven't sink for about a year now. The roof was done in February and I've observed the house haven't sink at all (This picture is less then 2 weeks old). My worries is; if I go ahead and cover the floors with marble and part of the wall too, will it sink? if so how much?

I'm waiting for the dry season to do the drainage.

Thanks.

Its a bungalow? I thought it was more than a storey.

OK. I'll advise you to do all works on stabilizing the building before adding more weight. My concern is when you pack in. For a bungalow to sink on raft, its a really poor soil.

Floor tiles would spread its weight evenly around the house so it may not affect the sinking much. Its when you have furniture and other utilities in the house that can cause differential settlement. Don't wait till dry season if you have the money now. As much as you can do to protect the building should be done asap. The building may look settled now, but you don't know what will happen with added weight of people and appliances.

Wait till the dry season to do you tiling. But do your drains, both inside and outside now while its still raining. I cannot say how much it can sink if it does.

The place looks dry and OK in the pix but then again, I don't know how the soil will react under rainy conditions. Ikorodu mostly has good soil profile so I'm quite surprised this is affecting a bungalow. I hope its not a landfill area/ former refuse dump.

Did you do the ground floor slab before it sank? Or the floor you have now is the only slab?

Filling the surrounding of the building is neither good nor bad. If you fill with sharp sand , it might drain well ( if you're not close to the water table); but it might also chanell the drained water towards your foundation and hence increase your problems. Pave the compound and channel to a drain to avoid this.

Sorry my thoughts are jumbled. I'm a little occupied here. Hope you sha got the gist. Others here can have other/ better suggestions too.

Modified...

I can see the storey at the back. Pls stick to the bolded above. What do you mean by the level inside is the same as outside? The natural ground level outside us same as inside? Hope this doesn't affect your plumbing works. If no, then the only thing might be dealing with wet walls.

1 Like

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by FastShipping: 8:33pm On Aug 02, 2015
semitunde:

Its a bungalow? I thought it was more than a storey.

OK. I'll advise you to do all works on stabilizing the building before adding more weight. My concern is when you pack in. For a bungalow to sink on raft, its a really poor soil.

Floor tiles would spread its weight evenly around the house so it may not affect the sinking much. Its when you have furniture and other utilities in the house that can cause differential settlement. Don't wait till dry season if you have the money now. As much as you can do to protect the building should be done asap. The building may look settled now, but you don't know what will happen with added weight of people and appliances.

Wait till the dry season to do you tiling. But do your drains, both inside and outside now while its still raining. I cannot say how much it can sink if it does.

The place looks dry and OK in the pix but then again, I don't know how the soil will react under rainy conditions. Ikorodu mostly has good soil profile so I'm quite surprised this is affecting a bungalow. I hope its not a landfill area/ former refuse dump.

Did you do the ground floor slab before it sank? Or the floor you have now is the only slab?

Filling the surrounding of the building is neither good nor bad. If you fill with sharp sand , it might drain well ( if you're not close to the water table); but it might also chanell the drained water towards your foundation and hence increase your problems. Pave the compound and channel to a drain to avoid this.

Sorry my thoughts are jumbled. I'm a little occupied here. Hope you sha got the gist. Others here can have other/ better suggestions too.

Modified...

I can see the storey at the back. Pls stick to the bolded above. What do you mean by the level inside is the same as outside? The natural ground level outside us same as inside? Hope this doesn't affect your plumbing works. If no, then the only thing might be dealing with wet walls.

The house is not a bungalow. Go back to first page and see better pictures of the house.

2 Likes

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by Qc1(m): 8:34pm On Aug 02, 2015
^^^

@semitunde

As you can see from the pictures, this building structure in unique not a bungalow (there are 4 rooms upstairs). The builder didn't do the slab before the raft, he just did the raft directly which is the reason why the house sank this much (and I hope I'm wrong).The area is not a sand filled but my property happened to be at the extreme end of the block and swampy.

1 Like

Re: My Ikorodu Mansion; The DIY Report. by semitunde: 8:50pm On Aug 02, 2015
FastShipping:

The house is not a bungalow. Go back to first page and see better pictures of the house.

Thanks man.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

When She Said She Want A Guy With A House And A Car. And He's A Civil Engineer. / Acres Of Land Suitable For Poultry,Crops&Fish Pond In Ibadan*For Sale*with pics / Lagos Building Collapse: 3 Dead, 3 Rescued As Search Continues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.