Stats: 3,143,319 members, 7,780,791 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:18 PM

My Passport Is Expiring Soon And I Need To Travel - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Passport Is Expiring Soon And I Need To Travel (4397 Views)

Immigration Delaying My Passport In Lagos. Help Please, Is Nigeria This Bad? / 2016 World Visa Restriction Index Is Out...German Passport Is The Most Powerful / First Year In Uni Vs Final Year When Visa Is Expiring (2) (3) (4)

My Passport Is Expiring Soon And I Need To Travel by libbyy: 11:52am On Jul 29, 2015
Hi guys Need advice plz as the NHC is useless!!! I have been calling the number on their site for days at one point it was ringing for 45 mins before I decided to hang up as no one would answer. I would like to travel to Nigeria middle of August however my passport is expiring on the 3rd of September. Tried to book an appointment today after paying online but could not get any available dates till the 20th of August. Is it possible for me to travel to Nigeria and come back on the 3rd which is the day my passport expires or 2nd? Or will this cause a problem ( I will have my ticket and also payslip to proved that I have paid to have it renew here (London). Anybody know as I need to book my flight but need to be sure.
Re: My Passport Is Expiring Soon And I Need To Travel by 19naia(m): 1:43pm On Jul 29, 2015
libbyy:
Hi guys Need advice plz as the NHC is useless!!! I have been calling the number on their site for days at one point it was ringing for 45 mins before I decided to hang up as no one would answer. I would like to travel to Nigeria middle of August however my passport is expiring on the 3rd of September. Tried to book an appointment today after paying online but could not get any available dates till the 20th of August. Is it possible for me to travel to Nigeria and come back on the 3rd which is the day my passport expires or 2nd? Or will this cause a problem ( I will have my ticket and also payslip to proved that I have paid to have it renew here (London). Anybody know as I need to book my flight but need to be sure.

If you are using the NG passport to travel into Nigeria, then it is ok even if it has the final day of validity remaining upon arrival.
If you are using NG passport to exit Nigeria, it is a general requirement that you have no less than 6 months validity on your passport to qualify for travel visa to the host country.

But, if you already have a visa or residency to the host country, there is a chance to enter you will be covered so long as you have validity remaining on your passport.
BUT... If you enter with all documents in order and your passport only has one day of validity remaining, then you may be investigated by immigration about your passport replacement plan to be sure that your passport does not lapse while you are in the host country.
There are usually rules about maintaining a current passport at all times while on visa or residency in a host country.
Residency status may not draw as much hassle from Immigration, but a temporary visa will.

Your problem is not with entering Nigeria, it is with returning to your foriegn host country with only one day validity. I am sure you will get a phone or email response if you call/message them about the matter. I hope you have residency in the country as that will make it an easier matter and then contact your host immigration to explain your issue and delay.

Your best option was to plan your travel document processing 90 days before your trip is set to go.

Never plan your travel documents around the trip departure, rather plan your trip departure around your travel document arrival.
I always start my travel plans 6 months in advance and start arranging all documents and tickets no less than 90 days before departure date. 60 days is possible but leaves little time to fit in unpredictable delays of mistakes in the processing of documents.
Also rush service at an extra cost is usually available for passport services.
Re: My Passport Is Expiring Soon And I Need To Travel by libbyy: 3:09pm On Jul 29, 2015
@ 19naia thanks for your reply. I do have permanent residence status in the UK will this be okay? I would have done it earlier but only recently realised it was expiring soon (my mum usually does all the renewals lol). Tried getting some info from the NHC but called several times and no response and judging by the reviews online I appear not to be the only one who has had problems geting through to them.
Re: My Passport Is Expiring Soon And I Need To Travel by vera202(m): 4:34pm On Jul 29, 2015
libbyy:
@ 19naia thanks for your reply. I do have permanent residence status in the UK will this be okay? I would have done it earlier but only recently realised it was expiring soon (my mum usually does all the renewals lol). Tried getting some info from the NHC but called several times and no response and judging by the reviews online I appear not to be the only one who has had problems geting through to them.
For u 2 b on d safer side i tink u shld jst renew it wen u com 2 Nigeria it wont take u more dan 3days
Re: My Passport Is Expiring Soon And I Need To Travel by 19naia(m): 6:38pm On Jul 29, 2015
libbyy:

The other comment above has a good option listed.
Renew the passport in Nigeria. None of the long drawn out delays and such as you find in the NG consulates abroad.
Takes a few days to do it in Nigeria and maybe even cheaper while also doing a rush order passport service.
As soon as you get to Nigeria, start the renewal the very next day and get it over with.
I think your residency will still be valid even if it came attached to the old passport.
Your residency status makes it easier for you, but it does not excuse you from maintaining a valid passport without validity lapses.

Call the UK immigration about the matter if you dont want to renew in Nigeria.
Is the residency status stamped or pasted to your Passport or is it a seperate document or ID card?
It may cause confusion if it is attached to the passport you will replace. You know what i mean? If you land back in UK without any residency document ,if it were attached to the passport NG took back when issuing a new one to you.
Re: My Passport Is Expiring Soon And I Need To Travel by libbyy: 9:46pm On Jul 29, 2015
Thanks guys but the thing is that I've already paid online and they don't do refunds unless you paid double sad . I'll call the UKVI tomorrow and see really hope it's postive. So frustrating that the Nigerian high commission does not answer it's phone I mean come on!! Been trying for days really wish I'd waited before paying and have it done in Naija *kmt*
Re: My Passport Is Expiring Soon And I Need To Travel by robert90: 10:35am On Jan 26, 2016
Hey libbyyI know this post is old but I want to know did you manage to travel to nigeria successfully with your nigerian passport which was valid for less than 6 months. I'm in the same position as you, im meant to be travelling to Nigeria on April but my passport expires in August and not sure if the passport should be valid for 6 months. I have also been trying to contact the NHC in the United Kingdom but they have not been helpful in my case. I'm flying with BA and not sure how their policy operates. I would be really grateful to hear from you.

many thanks,

Robert.
Re: My Passport Is Expiring Soon And I Need To Travel by Hover62: 2:12am On Jan 10, 2017
Hello i recently got my us Immigrant visa approved in Nigeria and I've bought the ticket scheduled for departure on the 28th January. I did not know I needed to have nothing less than six month on my passport before my entry into the US. Since my plane is scheduled for 28th of January I will be having less than 6 months (5 months and a week precisely). I want to know if this won't cause any hiccups at the port of entry for me since am staying permanently in the US.
Re: My Passport Is Expiring Soon And I Need To Travel by Legitmenaija: 9:45am On Jan 18, 2023
Hello everyone please i need help regarding this passport expiration issue.

My passport is billed to expire dec 2024 and i just secured admission into a school in Canada for a 2 years program for sept 2023 start.

Can i renew my passport now and go for 10years passport?

Please advice me on what to do as i plan on taking the admission serious.
Re: My Passport Is Expiring Soon And I Need To Travel by Legitmenaija: 10:21am On Jan 18, 2023
Hello everyone please i need help regarding this passport expiration issue.

My passport is billed to expire dec 2024 and i just secured admission into a school in Canada for a 2 years program for sept 2023 start.

Can i renew my passport now and go for 10years passport?

Please advice me on what to do as i plan on taking the admission serious.

Can I declare missing passport and apply for a new one?

Will it affect me when i want to process my visa?

Apapa Amusement Park - Perfect place to take your children during this holiday / Questions Been Asked At The Austrian Embassy / Nigeria Installs Full Body Scanners At Airports.