Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,031 members, 7,807,059 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:04 AM

Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB (52544 Views)

Hnd/bsc Dichotomy Removed / President Buhari Willing To Pay Cash To Boko Haram In Exchange For Chibok Girls / Boko Haram: Buhari Willing To Negotiate- BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by bibi5: 9:58am On Jul 30, 2015
Emulate Buhari, Al-Makura Urges Govs
Read More: www.newspepa.com
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by hassymo5(m): 5:51pm On Jul 30, 2015
wow the debate getting interesting.... but HND Guys from ur post u guys are smart .......I'm proud to be one of u....

Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by Ademurph1(m): 6:37pm On Jul 30, 2015
hollandis:
He doesnt have a simple waec certificate ,so I expect him to insult the University Graduate by equating them to HND Holders
you must be tout for your making sucb utterance
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by ckmayoca: 7:03pm On Jul 30, 2015
Misternas89:
BSc n HND differs gidi gan......imagine I was being supervised, lectured n examined by a professor now comparing with an institution where d only PhD holder will be the Rector. The difference is clear jooorh....spent 4 months working on my project( effect of photoperiods on African catfish clarias gariepinus) whereby anoda HND2 student is running helter skelter to his/her departmental library to get a copy of a previous project 4rm anoda person.

Proudly #BScZoologistGraduate

I bet u were dropped to zoology because u couldn't meet up wit d cut off mark for ur initial course of study. Guy where r u working if u are done studying Abi u wan become presido like GEJ and govern us like Animals. I pity ur pikins oo cos u talk like ewu already.
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by Misternas89(m): 8:06pm On Jul 30, 2015
ckmayoca:

I bet u were dropped to zoology because u couldn't meet up wit d cut off mark for ur initial course of study. Guy where r u working if u are done studying Abi u wan become presido like GEJ and govern us like Animals. I pity ur pikins oo cos u talk like ewu already.
Kk poly student grin grin
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by UYCO: 9:26pm On Jul 30, 2015
The guy is not ashamed to talk of zoology where engineers are talking. I have not seen any body who fill Jamb form and chose zoology as first choice. Even if the offer of admission is given to me free without payment of school fees, I wont accept it. zoology is only accepted by students with poor academic performance. He acknowledged the fact that he wrote Jamb for three years. My brother , this is not an animal farm or cattle ranche where you behave like animal. I suddenly realized that there is a link between your reasoning and that of GEJ. I think the course has a way of affecting your thinking. In a bid to learn how to relate with animals, some of you tend to behave like animal.
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by ckmayoca: 10:00pm On Jul 30, 2015
Misternas89:

Kk poly student grin grin

Lol. If dat is wat u call UItes.
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by DeWisedon(m): 11:04pm On Jul 30, 2015
hollandis:
He doesnt have a simple waec certificate ,so I expect him to insult the University Graduate by equating them to HND Holders
i know you are a dullard already but im just trying to remind you abt it.chikena
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by DeWisedon(m): 11:07pm On Jul 30, 2015
ckmayoca:

i even prefer ewu to him
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by UYCO: 11:46am On Jul 31, 2015
where are the engineers in this forum. Come on, let us discuss the way forward for the development of engineering proffession. Why are we importing tooth prick? Why are we importing almost every thing we use. Our BSC /paper engineers use GSM phones produced by technical school students in China. The naira is becoming a tissue paper. This is the greatest challenge to the engineering profession. If BSC holders dont want to work with us as fellow engineers, a separate body should be created to regulate the activities of polytechnic engineers. within three years, we will reduce importation of goods by 50%. Importation of bolth and nuts alone yearly account for about 4billion naira. Why should we import bolth and nuts when we have technical colleges in this country.
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by UYCO: 3:48pm On Jul 31, 2015
DR NGIGE MESSED UP DURING THE DEBATE ON THE BILL TO ABOLISH THE DISCRIMINATION AGAINST HND HOLDERS. I WILL WRITE AN OPEN LETTER TO HIM VERY SOON TO NULIFY HIS BASELESS ARGUMENT AND MAKE HIM LOOK STUPID BEFORE THE PUBLIC. EKWEREMADU'S PRESENTATION IS MORE REASONABLE. DAVID MARK SPOKE WELL BUT HE IS IGNORANT ABOUT THE GANG UP BY UNIVERSITIES AGAINST POLITECHNIC EDUCATION.
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by UYCO: 5:49pm On Jul 31, 2015
The reason why university engineers cannot develop technology in Nigeria is because they concentrate on pure theory in all aspect of engineering. In practice, some of these theories are only applicable in ideal situation. others are not practicable. You need to subject them to test to know under which condition certain theories disobey the law governing them. This will help you to check probality of failure during production. The polytechnic engineers on the other hand are more concern with the practical application of those theories to meet the insatiable needs of man. we know that if we differentiate x^2, the answer will be =x but the polytechnic engineers are interested in what they can apply that differentiation and integration to produce that will make life confortable for man. This is what technology is all about. At a point, employers prefer polytechnic engineers to BSC holders. They became a threat to them. The only way out was for university engineers to put resources together to lobby the national assembly to pass a law to limit the growth of our engineers. They know that if a level playing ground is allowed for too long, employers will no longer remember them. They fail to realize that the only constant thing is change. change has come and every thing will change for our good. I will be back later for part 2.
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by UYCO: 6:51am On Aug 02, 2015
Protest by polytechnic graduates in service loading..

When an imbalance is created in a system in equilibrium, there must be a continous reaction until the balance is restored. They ganged up against us to create the imbalance between HND and BSC holders and we will continue to protest this iniquality until the balance is restored.
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by Nobody: 7:25am On Aug 02, 2015
hassymo5:
thenationonlineng.net/buhari-willing-to-end-bsc-hnd-dichotomy-jamb/

Buhari willing to end Bsc, HND dichotomy – JAMB
Buhari willing to end Bsc, HND dichotomy - JAMB
The Registrar/Chief Executive of the Joint Admission and Matriculation Board, (JAMB), Prof. Dibu Ojerinde Wednesday said President Muhammadu Buhari is willing to implement the waver that will end the Bsc and HND dichotomy.
Buhari received the updated report on the Bsc and HND saga which was presented by the Permanent Secretary Federal Ministry of Education, MacJohn Nwaobiala last Tuesday.
Ojerinde who was part of the delegation said Buhari is willing to end the dichotomy.
He disclosed this in Abuja when he spoke with few selected newsmen on how to solve the lingering crisis of admission into universities.
The JAMB boss revealed that: “The last administration set up a committee to look at how we can now merge the two, the report was ready but it was not handled by the last administration.”
His words: “The system has not given adequate vision for the other levels of education. We have not encouraged technical education, we have not encouraged Teachers education also, in fact we have not encouraged Agricultural education to the extent that everybody feels that the only way to survive is to go to the University.
“The only way to make it is to have a degree, so I am saying we should revisit our system, we should look at why candidates don’t want to go to polytechnics, and we should look at why they don’t want teachers’ education we should also revisit why they don’t want agriculture.
“By our experience, most people will like to study law, engineering, medicine, accountancy, these are the top courses been sought for in the universities nobody wants to study education. So I see we have problem in that area and I am sure the Federal Ministry of Education is trying to solve that problem.
“First of all Technical Education, there’s dichotomy between Bachelors degree and National Diploma or Higher National Diploma, (HND). It was one of the things presented to Mr. President to find a way of implementing the waver of the dichotomy between HND and the Bsc degree. The so called HND should now be changed to Btech which means Bachelor of Technology.
“Former President Musa Yar’Adua may his soul rest in peace, said he doesn’t have any problem with Btech. Unfortunately, government also has not sorted this entire problem. And there are such cases of people like me in this country, I wouldn’t have been able to read, I wouldn’t have been able to go to school. So what I am saying is, government should look at how we can improve technical education.
“Let me refer to what Oby Ezekwensili the former Minister of Education said, she was determined to implement Btech in our Technical System, college of Education. All this places should be well equipped for Btech.
“Four colleges of Education have been upgraded to universities of Education, you will see the rush into those universities now because they can now get bachelor’s degree. And when they come to the public they will not be a push away. So this is where we are, I think if I go by what we saw on Wednesday, President Buhari and the Vice President listened and they were interested in what we presented.”

Dats what u get for having a president wit no ssce certifictae
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 02, 2015
StOla:

But the Nigerian HND is 5years (2yrs ND, min 1yr work experience, 2yrs HND) post O' levels / WAEC. While a basic Bachelor's is only 4years post O' levels.

Don't you think the HND is rather too long a programme for its inferior status?

Even Ghana has its HND as a 3years programme post O' level / WAEC. UK is only 2 / 3 years depending on the route of entry. In both countries, as it is with most, HND qualifies for a final year entry into a Bachelor's programme (since that extra year is all that is missing in the HND).
Same thing cannot be said about Nigeria, where despite the lousy number of years spent on HND, you end up spending another 2/3/4yrs to top-up the HND to a Bachelor's depending on the degree course and at what level the school decides to admit into in total disregard of the laid down policy on direct entry rules.

This is a good move. It's either the HND programme is reduced to a 3years programme with a 4th year entry into a bachelor's degree, or the HND is renamed to whatever fancy Bachelor's that can be coined.

What the world recognises as HND is not what is obtainable in Nigeria. Nigeria is wasting the years of students, teaching them a Master's and calling it HND or 5 years Bachelor's degree.

U can only call for a reduction in years spent on hnd. Even right nw, degree n hnd ain't same bro, it's like 100 watt n 60 watt bulbs. D difference is clea
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 02, 2015
StOla:

But the Nigerian HND is 5years (2yrs ND, min 1yr work experience, 2yrs HND) post O' levels / WAEC. While a basic Bachelor's is only 4years post O' levels.

Don't you think the HND is rather too long a programme for its inferior status?

Even Ghana has its HND as a 3years programme post O' level / WAEC. UK is only 2 / 3 years depending on the route of entry. In both countries, as it is with most, HND qualifies for a final year entry into a Bachelor's programme (since that extra year is all that is missing in the HND).
Same thing cannot be said about Nigeria, where despite the lousy number of years spent on HND, you end up spending another 2/3/4yrs to top-up the HND to a Bachelor's depending on the degree course and at what level the school decides to admit into in total disregard of the laid down policy on direct entry rules.

This is a good move. It's either the HND programme is reduced to a 3years programme with a 4th year entry into a bachelor's degree, or the HND is renamed to whatever fancy Bachelor's that can be coined.

What the world recognises as HND is not what is obtainable in Nigeria. Nigeria is wasting the years of students, teaching them a Master's and calling it HND or 5 years Bachelor's degree.

U can only call for a reduction in years spent on hnd. Even right nw, degree n hnd ain't same bro, it's like 100 watt n 60 watt bulbs. D difference is clear
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by olawalepopoola: 7:47am On Aug 02, 2015
I recently went to Poly Ibadan for a science conference. Behold the scene I saw was disgusting! Ladoke Akintola University of Technology was created in 1991 while poly Ibadan was created earlier than that! However, the developmental level of poly dated back to Precambrian! Whereas LAUTECH is developing day in day out! I am lecturer in one of the Nigeria universities and there is this ND student who got DE into 200l. In class she cannot comprehend and cannot even answer basic questions! I am a B.Tech and M.Tech holder and not a B.Sc and M.Sc holder! The fact remains that 80% of poly graduate cannot compete under the same condition with a university student!
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by dyabman(m): 7:51am On Aug 02, 2015
A good development indeed
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by ArodewilliamsT: 7:53am On Aug 02, 2015
Princecalm:
you should even be ashamed of saying this, for God sake who on earth still holds that against the President

So because he is the president we should forget that his waec certificate is questionable. If someone submits a certificate that has the passport of a 75 year old man on it to your office as CV, will you employ him. Nigerians are hypocrites.
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by egift(m): 7:58am On Aug 02, 2015
hollandis:

ArodewilliamsT:

So because he is the president we should forget that his waec certificate is questionable. If someone submits a certificate that has the passport of a 75 year old man on it to your office as CV, will you employ him. Nigerians are hypocrites.

seyema:
That's what happens when you are being govern by illiterate

He is a Master Degree holder from the US War College. Find something more tangible to wail about bro! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by phemmyutd(m): 8:08am On Aug 02, 2015
I am proud to be a Polytechnic graduate with a better and reasonable course to BSc graduate with un- relevant course.
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by phemmyutd(m): 8:09am On Aug 02, 2015
egift:

He is a Master Degree holder from the US War College. Find something more tangible to wail about bro! grin grin grin grin grin

Can you see now that even most of those claiming BSc are even thinking upside down?

1 Like

Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by sluk(m): 10:14am On Aug 02, 2015
Honestly I don't know what to comment, HND mass communication, PgD mass communication, LLB Law. Now where do I really belong if not both worlds. Plz do the needful.
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by adadadon(m): 10:33am On Aug 02, 2015
UYCO:
@MrKing3, I am typing with a phone. The most important thing is that I have passed my message. You seem to be angry with the way I shred your baseless argument into pieces. Next time if you want to ague about HND and BSC dichotomy , pls look for dull HND holders to argue with not me. I am too sophisticsted for you. For your information, BSC holders in my office see me like an expatriate. I teach them theory and practical. They cant use autocad to design , they cant interprete drawings , they cant implement projects without me. I am like a demi god to them. The problem I have with them is that they are more of liability to me. They cant work on their own without my supervision and correction. How long will I breast feed those BSC holders? I will soon write a memo to the Governor of my state to send them to technical school for vocational training because they are totally useless in the engineering profession.
Why are the cut-off marks for polythenics and colleges of education lower than the requirements for universities?
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by Nobody: 12:18pm On Aug 02, 2015
The solution(s) to this is very simple.

First, the cut off mark for admission into polytechnic and university should be the same.

Secondly, every student must pass through OND OR ND as some people will like to call it. This is important for the growth of our industries and factories (if there is any). When you have your ND And you want to drop out of education, you can make use of it.

Thirdly, HND degree should be scraped and all HND awarding institutions should become degree (B.Sc and B.Tech) awarding institutions.

HND have served it's purpose in Nigeria, it's time to do away with it. for that young man that studied zoology, when you talk, i hear the voice of former president Goodluck Jamigbiala Ibrahim Ebele Jonathan.
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by BankeSmalls(f): 12:20pm On Aug 02, 2015
When you have a stark illiterate as president
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by Nobody: 1:05pm On Aug 02, 2015
ochukwuma15:

The solution(s) to this is very simple.

First, the cut off mark for admission into polytechnic and university should be the same.

Secondly, every student must pass through OND OR ND as some people will like to call it. This is important for the growth of our industries and factories (if there is any). When you have your ND And you want to drop out of education, you can make use of it.

Thirdly, HND degree should be scraped and all HND awarding institutions should become degree (B.Sc and B.Tech) awarding institutions.

HND have served it's purpose in Nigeria, it's time to do away with it. for that young man that studied zoology, when you talk, i hear the voice of former president Goodluck Jamigbiala Ibrahim Ebele Jonathan.

Great.

Nice take but I'd like to know, are you saying all HND awarding institutions should restructure their academic curriculum to fit into BSc programme or they should just change their degree nomenclature from HND to BSc? If the later is your suggestion, then I'd say it's an impractical theory from someone who does not really understand the academic structures that define these honours in question; and if it's the first, I'd admit you have a point but merely discarding one totally doesn't sound like a solution in any case of dichotomy. This is because both are very much different in terms of curriculum/course content and each has its own role. In the western world, France to be precise, we have different kinds of degrees awarded by different kinds of higher institutions; each playing its own role diligently. Some target people with less interest in fundamental theories, some target people who have less academic prowess and thus could not catch up with the high standards of some other higher institutions , some target the less privileged, etc. Discarding the few we have is a lazy man's shortcut which always leads to regret cause the moment we do that, the need for HND will become even more glaring. BSc is a university degree and, like it or not, not everyone can deal with it. The question is, should the standard be brought down to accommodate more people after discarding HND or should those that cannot meet up with this standard be left behind? We have many order degree awarding bodies with Bsc counterparts like nursing schools, schools of dentistry etc. The moment HND is restructured, each of these will start seeking similar treatment. How many of these shall we discard? None, cause each has its roles.

I'd rather say we channel our efforts towards bringing to limelight the distinct roles of these institutions and learn to appreciate the goals of each of these roles.

Once again, nice take; well articulated especially the suggestion of OND before BSc.
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by Princecalm(m): 1:07pm On Aug 02, 2015
ArodewilliamsT:

keep proposing theories, even the opposition party saw that their criticism on his certificate doesn't hold water.
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by gr8femfred: 1:20pm On Aug 02, 2015
hollandis:
smile who told you there can't do batter? Thanks God I have BSc..
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by ArodewilliamsT: 1:42pm On Aug 02, 2015
Princecalm:
keep proposing theories, even the opposition party saw that their criticism on his certificate doesn't hold water.

When did he write waec? The picture on the certificate we saw is that of a 70 year old, let's have a copy of the original if you have it, Oga west germany. Illiterate followers of an illiterate dunce.
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by Princecalm(m): 2:00pm On Aug 02, 2015
ArodewilliamsT:

When did he write waec? The picture on the certificate we saw is that of a 70 year old, let's have a copy of the original if you have it, Oga west germany. Illiterate followers of an illiterate dunce.
so can you post the picture of the 70 year old man you claim is on the passport? Else roll all what you just posted there and stuck it in your as*
Re: Buhari Willing To End Bsc, HND Dichotomy – JAMB by ArodewilliamsT: 2:14pm On Aug 02, 2015
Princecalm:
so can you post the picture of the 70 year old man you claim is on the passport? Else roll all what you just posted there and stuck it in your as*

You monkey, why don't you type buhari' certificate on google and click 'images'. In short, i'll do it for your lazy asze. Now click the link below. Doesn't that man in that passport look older than your grandfather? you cretinous and moronic macaque monkey.

www.google.com.ng/search?q=picture+of+buhari's+certificate&client=ms-opera-mini-android&channel=new&gws_rd=cr&ei=MBa-VdjeMZH2yQSxzrGgAQ

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Kenyans Angry With Kenyatta For Congratulating Buhari / Atiku Wins Gombe, Sweeps All 11 LGAss / (breaking News) US Imposes Visa Ban On Nigeria Politicians

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.