Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,136 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President (2553 Views)

Shekau Reacts To Al-Barnawi's Emergence As Boko Haram Leader / We Never Supported Saraki's Emergence As Senate President:pdp Senators / Ekweremadu’s Emergence As My Deputy Is Unfortunate And Painful – Saraki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by happney65: 11:28pm On Jul 29, 2015
Bukola Saraki and Ike Ekweremadu have been put on notice for a lawsuit challenging their emergence as Senate President and Deputy Senate President in the Nigerian National Assembly (NASS).

In June, Mr. Saraki ascended to the Senate presidency in a vote that occurred without the knowledge of many members of the All Progressives Congress (APC). The controversy has spiraled into numerous quarrels in both chambers of the NASS.

The APC remains divided. Its leadership views Mr. Saraki to be less valuable to their goals due to his recent switch from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Jusitice Kaolawale of the Abuja Federal High Court received the lawsuit, which was filed by a group of five Senators. Abu Ibrahim, Kabiru Marafa, Ajayi Boroffice, Gbenga Ashafa, and Suleiman Othman Hunyuki all filed an originating summons before the court asking it to determine whether Saraki violated the Nigerian Constitution.

The Senators referenced Section 60 of the Nigerian Constitution, saying that Saraki overstepped the bounds of the procedures of Senate when he forced the vote during early morning hours. They also referenced Senate Standing Orders of 2011 and 2015, questioning the basis by which Senators were able to commission the vote.

http://saharareporters.com/2015/07/29/saraki-go-court-over-his-emergence-senate-president

cc seun
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by ELTON123(m): 11:29pm On Jul 29, 2015
Father: son! what is APC?

Son: A scam undecided

Father: that's my son, take this money and buy two cartons of origincheesy cool

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by natas22: 11:32pm On Jul 29, 2015
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by sentaljohn(m): 11:40pm On Jul 29, 2015
even tho I don't like what is happening in APC at the moment, I feel it's actually good for Nigeria Politics as it's trying to eliminate God fatherism but very bad for Nigeria as a country...

this people should just goan sleep...to remove Saraki is gonna take a lot more than dragging him to court...His father taught him well

1 Like

Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by happney65: 11:58pm On Jul 29, 2015
ELTON123:

grin grin
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by dunkem21(m): 12:02am On Jul 30, 2015
grin
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by tellwisdom: 12:09am On Jul 30, 2015
I weep for Nigeria sad
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by tomakint: 12:19am On Jul 30, 2015
This is Season 2, perhaps these 5 Senators need to learn ' The Ruthlessness of Power of The Nigerian President' from Obasanjo and should teach Buhari for 1 week......afterwards this SarakiGate will be over. Afterall, Saraki's scandal is not as knotty as Okadigbo's yet Obasanjo went for the Jugular. If Buhari know how powerful he is, in a week's time Saraki is history. Lobatan .......

2 Likes

Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by ERODEDEAST(f): 12:29am On Jul 30, 2015
Change Causing Confusion Everywhere. (CCCE)
Useless Change Government
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by Nobody: 12:39am On Jul 30, 2015
tomakint:
This is Season 2, perhaps these 5 Senators need to learn ' The Ruthlessness of Power of The Nigerian President' from Obasanjo and should teach Buhari for 1 week......afterwards this SarakiGate will be over. Afterall, Saraki's scandal is not as knotty as Okadigbo's yet Obasanjo went for the Jugular. If Buhari know how powerful he is, in a week's time Saraki is history. Lobatan .......
Bro, I don't care about Saraki and I know that he can be dealt with IF/when Buhari knows the way. I'm very much indifferent about this whole APC infighting. But I see Saraki winning the lawsuit! The only way Saraki can be dealt with is politically or by conviction for corruption. By politically I mean weakening his Kwara state political base by dissolving the Executive of the APC in Kwara, constituting an interim Exco headed by an anti-Saraki loyalist. This will force Saraki to either run a factional Exco or run to another party (hopefully NOT PDP). This will weaken him that some of his loyalists with political ambition in 2019 may abandon him.

The good thing for APC if this is done is that they will ostracise Saraki, but the bad thing for APC(good for PDP) is that they can't remove Saraki and Ike as SP and DSP respectively. It will also weaken APC in Kwara and some few states, which is a plus to PDP (not Saraki)

1 Like

Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by dammytosh: 12:48am On Jul 30, 2015
ELTON123:

Son : you are a useless father sir. No legacy. Origin that rendered you useless to the society. You want me to follow your footstep, tufiakwa.

2 Likes

Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by baby124: 1:27am On Jul 30, 2015
Saraki really lost a lot with this desperate move. If he would have campaigned amongst his senators and waited for them all to be on ground. He may have won fair and square like Dogara. Who ever advised him to make this move was only after their own gain. He needs to fear that person and stay far from the person. Now his own political career is at stake while his pushers are safe.

1 Like

Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by kenedy175(m): 2:22am On Jul 30, 2015
What are we going to call this 5 senators? The 5 musketeers

APC and there un-ending drama. At least they are entertaining us.
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by JAMANZE: 2:29am On Jul 30, 2015
This people should know that we elected them to make better laws for us not fighting for their personal vendetta. please is already 60 days gone and you guyz are still fighting for leadership.which way APC
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by mensdept: 2:32am On Jul 30, 2015
JAMANZE:
This people should know that we elected them to make better laws for us not fighting for their personal vendetta. please is already 60 days gone and you guyz are still fighting for leadership.which way APC

After 16 years of democracy and the wasteful democracy conventions abroad that our legislooters and governors, and even wives of state assembly (as in one of the Yoruba states did) that cost millions of naira, our local chaps are at it again, fighting to answer senate president and deputy and this and that.

Saraki comes from a lineage of thieves and his deputy, a known rogue. In fact APC and PDP are all a bunch of rogues minus 1 or 2.

This truly is the ZOO
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by tomakint: 11:26am On Jul 30, 2015
@barcanista, I don't really give a hoot about the happenings among APC in the Senate and Yes, your observation on how Saraki can be emasculated is quite right but on a contrary level if the culpability of the Senators involved in the manipulations of the Standing Order is finally established, the Independence of the Senate would matter no more to save Saraki and his cohorts. I repeat, Saraki is the wrong person to head the Senate. Enjoy bro
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by Nobody: 12:15pm On Jul 30, 2015
tomakint:
@barcanista, I don't really give a hoot about the happenings among APC in the Senate and Yes, your observation on how Saraki can be emasculated is quite right but on a contrary level if the culpability of the Senators involved in the manipulations of the Standing Order is finally established, the Independence of the Senate would matter no more to save Saraki and his cohorts. I repeat, Saraki is the wrong person to head the Senate. Enjoy bro
I think we are geTting things mixed up here. Saraki wasn't a presiding officer in the last Senate. Therefore, the case of manipulation of Standing order has no business with him EVEN if police establish a case. The people to answer questions are David Mark, Ike Ekweremadu, the former Chairman of Senate Committee on Rules and Business, and also the Senate Clerk. Also, the so-called Senate standing rule is not enough to sack Saraki as Senate President. The Constitution is very clear when it said at least 2/3rd of Senators are needed to sack a Senate President. APC don't have this numbers... Saraki's position as SP can only be threatened if/when PDP decides to punish him-which I don't see happening any time soon.

Back to the Senate standing rules, the rule is ONLY advisory at best as it has no binding on any Senator whatsoever. For instance, a section of the rule says ranking members be appointed principal and presiding officers, but Senator Godswill Akpabio, a newcomer emerged the Senate minority leader.
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by Nobody: 12:21pm On Jul 30, 2015
baby124:
Saraki really lost a lot with this desperate move. If he would have campaigned amongst his senators and waited for them all to be on ground. He may have won fair and square like Dogara. Who ever advised him to make this move was only after their own gain. He needs to fear that person and stay far from the person. Now his own political career is at stake while his pushers are safe.

Lol Saraki's political career at risk? grin grin grin grin Please don't make me laugh too hard
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by Nobody: 12:22pm On Jul 30, 2015
barcanista:

I think we are geTting things mixed up here. Saraki wasn't a presiding officer in the last Senate. Therefore, the case of manipulation of Standing order has no business with him EVEN if police establish a case. The people to answer questions are David Mark, Ike Ekweremadu, the former Chairman of Senate Committee on Rules and Business, and also the Senate Clerk. Also, the so-called Senate standing rule is not enough to sack Saraki as Senate President. The Constitution is very clear when it said at least 2/3rd of Senators are needed to sack a Senate President. APC don't have this numbers... Saraki's position as SP can only be threatened if/when PDP decides to punish him-which I don't see happening any time soon.

Back to the Senate standing rules, the rule is ONLY advisory at best as it has no binding on any Senator whatsoever. For instance, a section of the rule says ranking members be appointed principal and presiding officers, but Senator Godswill Akpabio, a newcomer emerged the Senate minority leader.
just allow them to continue wasting their time in court.Those 5 senators should immediately be appointed by Saraki into the sewage and refuse disposal committee alongside Mrs Oluremi Tinubu to keep them busy while the case lingers on
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by change49ja: 12:55pm On Jul 30, 2015
barcanista:

Wait, let the court declare that the Senate failed to follow due process in the election of the Senate President and his deputy and see whether Saraki won't vacate the seat without been told.

What you fail to understand is that, some group of people(for selfish reasons) came together to unlawfully amend the constitution guiding the Senate.

In a sane country, those involved will be cooling off in jail by now but hey, this is Nigeria. With this trend, one day, some Nigerians will wake up and they'll be told by some Senators that, they're no more part of Nigeria as they've been sold to Togo or Cameroon. All they need to do is to amend the Nigerian constitution in order to carry out their action.
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by sammyj: 1:00pm On Jul 30, 2015
Is the Senate president scared of being removed for forgery ? cool cool shocked

1 Like

Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by Nobody: 1:04pm On Jul 30, 2015
change49ja:

Wait, let the court declare that the Senate failed to follow due process in the election of the Senate President and his deputy and see whether Saraki won't vacate the seat without been told.

What you fail to understand is that, some group of people(for selfish reasons) came together to unlawfully amend the constitution guiding the Senate.

In a sane country, those involved will be cooling off in jail by now but hey, this is Nigeria. With this trend, one day, some Nigerians will wake up and they'll be told by some Senators that, they're no more part of Nigeria as they've been sold to Togo or Cameroon. All they need to do is to amend the Nigerian constitution in order to carry out their action.

lol the court nullifies his election as senate president,how does that stop him and Ike Ekweremadu from winning the next election? You Tinubu lapdogs are quite pathetic
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by Nobody: 1:15pm On Jul 30, 2015
change49ja:

Due process was followed. The Constitution says for a qorum to be formed at least 1/3 of Senators elected must be present. This was met.

The Constitution said a Senator is elected SP by winning majority votes cast...This was met.

The Constitution said the President must declare the 8th Assembly open in writing to the Senate Clerk... This was met.

The constitution was not breached. The so-called standing rule only talk of "open ballot"/"secret ballot"...that is irrelevant. I assure you that the Court will dismiss it for lack of jurisdiction and "no case". Otherwise, why didn't the aggrieved Senators go to court themselves? In a normal setting that is the issue of the Senators internal brohuaha... I cite mention of Akpabio's emergence as minority leader that is against the advisory book knwn as Standing rule.
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jul 30, 2015
chukwudi44:

just allow them to continue wasting their time in court.Those 5 senators should immediately be appointed by Saraki into the sewage and refuse disposal committee alongside Mrs Oluremi Tinubu to keep them busy while the case lingers on
Some APC guys are being too emotional about this issue.
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by change49ja: 1:29pm On Jul 30, 2015
barcanista:

Due process was followed. The Constitution says for a qorum to be formed at least 1/3 of Senators elected must be present. This was met.

The Constitution said a Senator is elected SP by winning majority votes cast...This was met.

The Constitution said the President must declare the 8th Assembly open in writing to the Senate Clerk... This was met.

The constitution was not breached. The so-called standing rule only talk of "open ballot"/"secret ballot"...that is irrelevant. I assure you that the Court will dismiss it for lack of jurisdiction and "no case". Otherwise, why didn't the aggrieved Senators go to court themselves? In a normal setting that is the issue of the Senators internal brohuaha... I cite mention of Akpabio's emergence as minority leader that is against the advisory book knwn as Standing rule.

Don't jump into conclusion yet, wait for the court outcomes.
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by omowolewa: 1:29pm On Jul 30, 2015
Saraki should do everything to ensure that post is not taken away from him.

Radicalism may not work at this time as political sins are not easily forgiven but he should settle at all cost.
His sins would have been easily forgiven but for Ike who is from PDP. If he can beg the PDP to save his post, it could be a nice move.
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by BERNIMOORE: 1:32pm On Jul 30, 2015
change49ja:

Don't jump into conclusion yet, wait for the court outcomes.
[size=18pt]yawn![/size] the case will die in appeal courts court like tambuwal vs pdp, distraction things!
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by HzRF(m): 2:57pm On Jul 30, 2015
barcanista:

Bro, I don't care about Saraki and I know that he can be dealt with IF/when Buhari knows the way. I'm very much indifferent about this whole APC infighting. But I see Saraki winning the lawsuit! The only way Saraki can be dealt with is politically or by conviction for corruption. By politically I mean weakening his Kwara state political base by dissolving the Executive of the APC in Kwara, constituting an interim Exco headed by an anti-Saraki loyalist. This will force Saraki to either run a factional Exco or run to another party (hopefully NOT PDP). This will weaken him that some of his loyalists with political ambition in 2019 may abandon him.

The good thing for APC if this is done is that they will ostracise Saraki, but the bad thing for APC(good for PDP) is that they can't remove Saraki and Ike as SP and DSP respectively. It will also weaken APC in Kwara and some few states, which is a plus to PDP (not Saraki)
As good as ur plan is it won't work

The excos are more loyal to him than the party
Is lyk gifting PDP a top member who can attract more
Check do reaction of the excos wen app Lagos spokesman blast saraki emergence
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by HzRF(m): 3:02pm On Jul 30, 2015
change49ja:

D clerk can create the rules
Senators will ammend
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by Iamoilprince(m): 3:15pm On Jul 30, 2015
its only in nigeria u will see this kind of thing. Saraki has emerged as the Senate president, all you need to do is support him and develop the nation together. All these distractions will only bring us backward.

Some politicians can be self centered.

1 Like

Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by tuniski: 3:25pm On Jul 30, 2015
tomakint:
even obj can do nothing in today's democracy. Thanks to the democrat GeJ/yar Adua who have ensured that our democracy deepens. Obj was a dictator only fit for the early days of our democracy. Today even him will be cowed by our democratic norms and values. He can't do 50% of what he got Away with then else he will be impeached. Lastly, like many are still suffering from military mentality in nigeria. When democratic processes are in action all u crave is a touch of dictatorship. Smh
Re: Saraki To Go To Court Over His Emergence As Senate President by tuniski: 3:30pm On Jul 30, 2015
Iamoilprince:
its only in nigeria u will see this kind of thing. Saraki has emerged as the Senate president, all you need to do is support him and develop the nation together. All these distractions will only bring us backward.

Some politicians can be self centered.
no mind yeye apc. Didn't tambuwwal emerge against the wish of pdp as speaker! Let's even imagine where the opposition is in majority in NASS does it mean the country will be grounded by this brainless apc/buhari? In the USA most times, the executive and legislative arms are controlled by different parties like currently Obama is democrat but, the congress and senate are controlled by republicans. Leadership entails innovative ideas and persuasive ability not some yes men with a dictator. Then there would have been no difference with dictatorship!

(1) (2) (Reply)

NEWS UPDATE: Photos: Army Arrest Boko Haram Kingpin, Rescue More Women / Full Text Of Dasuki's Personal Statement Before Being Arraigned Today / MASSOB We Will Decolonize The People From Hausa, Fulani, Yoruba – Madu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.