Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,296 members, 7,808,008 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:43 AM

The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon (37115 Views)

JAMB Scraps Use Of Scratch Cards For Its Transactions, Services / Hijab: Deeper Life Church Backs Use Of Christian Garments By Pupils / 98% Of Nigerian Don't Know The Use Of This.... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by Nobody: 1:39pm On Jul 30, 2015
I would have read it but,as usual,the post is damn too long like introvert neck
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by tociano009(m): 1:51pm On Jul 30, 2015
Nice 1 please how to use 'were'
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by Lawsimon(m): 2:01pm On Jul 30, 2015
If you know sabi,:;'-use instinct.;! It's the best
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by activelyA(f): 2:10pm On Jul 30, 2015
kossyablaze:
smh
Lmao grin grin cheesy grin cheesy
Is truly not what you think oo wink cool
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by BeauHomme: 2:23pm On Jul 30, 2015
Learnt something today
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by Moostar(m): 2:34pm On Jul 30, 2015
ADMISSION! ADMISSION!! ADMISSION!!!
Cry no more,GAIN ADMISSION into 200 level through an IJMBE A'level program into any University of your choice without JAMB.

Every year, hundreds of thousand candidates sit for JAMB (UTME), but at the end just a few percentages of all the students that go through the pain of writing the exam do make it and afterwards you still have to pass the post utme exam before you can secure an admission. DO YOU NOW HAVE TO TRY THIS EVERY YEAR WHEN THERE IS A SURE AND BETTER WAY OUT FOR YOU? YES YOU HEARD ME, A BETTER WAY OUT.

The good news for admission seekers like you is that you don’t have to wait for another jamb before you gain your admission, not even to 100 level but 200 level of your university of choice. So stop wasting your time and resources in writing JAMB every year when there is a sure way of securing an admission and the sure way is IJMBE A' Level program.

IJMBE IS AN A’LEVEL PROGRAM THAT MEANS (INTERIM JOINT MATRICULATION BOARD EXAMINATION) MODERATED BY AHMADU BELLO UNIVERSITY (A.B.U), ZARIA WITH CENTER AFFLIATED IN
ILORIN.It is a 9months intensive program,IJMB program is just like you are in 100level and it’s designed in such a way that candidate with deficiencies in English and Mathematics in their O’level result can still participate.And unlike JAMB results which expires every year, A'Level results is just like your WAEC or NECO results which doesn’t expire and can also be used in securing admission abroad.

Application forms are now
Only on sale @ IJMB study Centre in ILORIN.
NOTE:Sales of IJMB form is not available online and in the banks.You have to come down to ILORIN to obtain the form yourself,beware of scammers online.
Hurry now to purchase form as you are
guaranteed a place in 200 Level in any universities of your choice.

WHO CAN APPLY
•OND/NCE student which result is not up to standard(good enough) to secure admission into unversity
•Student seeking admission into any university
•Student who fail JAMB/post JAMB exam
•Student who pass JAMB/post JAMB but unable to get admission
•Student who did not sit for JAMB exam at all
•Student with deficiency in English and Mathematics
•Student who just graduated from SSS 3
•Student awaiting results

IJMB ACCEPTABILITY:All universities in Nigeria accept IJMB.
NB: The hostel is in the school premises which makes it convenient and easy for students to attend lectures regularly without stress.
For more information or registration contact Gurustar Educational Consult on (Whatsapp) 08167000693 or 09097444213
EWA PIN:23B2F37D.
NOTE: CHECK PAGE 4 OF JAMB BROCHURE ITEM 2.2 (2) TO CONFIRM IJMB AS A REQUIREMENT FOR UNIVERSITY ADMISSIO
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by akigbemaru: 2:46pm On Jul 30, 2015
learn. English 101.
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by emmabest2000(m): 2:50pm On Jul 30, 2015
LarrySun:
PUNCTUATIONS

Punctuation can be regarded as guidance to the reader, so the use of capital letters and, in printing, the use of italics are included in this regard.

The punctuation marks in English consist of the following:

Full stop .

Comma ,

Semicolon ;

Colon :

Question mark ?

Round brackets ( )

Square brackets [ ]

Exclamation mark !

Single quotation marks ‘ ’

Double quotation marks “ ”

Hyphen –

Dash —

There are also the apostrophe (’) and mark of omission (…). But, for the moment, I'll discuss on only Full Stop, Comma and Semicolon, the rest shall come later. Please bear with me.

FULL STOP

We all know that the full stop is used at the end of a sentence (anyone who hasn’t known this is needs special training). Full stop should indicate, in fact, that the sentence has come to a stop. Yet too often we come across letters that start like this:

“Referring to your letter of the 30th September.”

This collection of words is not a sentence, and after the full stop the reader is left floundering.

After “September” there should be a comma, followed by the noun or pronoun attached to the present participle “Referring”. A correct construction would thus consist of something like this:

“Referring to you letter of the 30th September, I am happy to say that your work shall be edited.”

An incorrect construction would be:

“Referring to your letter of the 30th September, your work shall be edited.”

This means, quite absurdly, that your work has been referring to your letter.

The Full Stop with Abbreviations

The full stop is commonly known to also denote abbreviations. The modern trend in the UK is now towards an “open” style for abbreviations in which there are few full stops.

It is usual to allow the full stop only to denote those abbreviations which are parts of words and not those abbreviations in which the first and last letters of words are given (contractions); for example, Mr, Mrs, Col (Colonel), Dr, Revd (Reverend), St (Saint or Street), and Rd (Road). Typical abbreviations where a full stop is used are Jan., Sept., Mon., Lag., Gen., Capt., in. (for inches), cm., approx. and Co.

For initials of capital letters that stand for organisations the full stop is very much the exception rather than the rule. BBC is now widely accepted, as are AU, FIFA, KGB and so on. The forms AD and BC are rarely seen with full stops these days.

Lower case initials tend to keep their full stops—i.e., e.g., p.m. and the likes.

Incidentally—and unbelievably—if an abbreviation comes at the end of a sentence there should logically be two full stops—the first for the abbreviation and the second to mark the end of the sentence. In practice, nevertheless, it is conventional to make one full stop do for the two, lest your readers call you an eccentric prof.. grin

Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by texanomaly(f): 3:50pm On Jul 30, 2015
For those who think the ops post is too long, simply follow and only reference when you have a question. Only read the part you need. Knowledge is power. grin

Great job Larrysun! smiley
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by texanomaly(f): 3:52pm On Jul 30, 2015
emmabest2000:
:;.,

Emma-the-best 200,000! Long time. kiss
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by kossyablaze(m): 5:18pm On Jul 30, 2015
activelyA:

Lmao grin grin cheesy grin cheesy
Is truly not what you think oo wink cool
Hmmm y should I think otherwise?tell me

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by sixpee(m): 6:17pm On Jul 30, 2015
This is, quite frankly, the best thread I've read on nairaland since Jesus wept, but you don't have to agree with me; I agree with myself enough.

1 Like

Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by esere826: 9:17pm On Jul 30, 2015
LarrySun:
The Semicolon

Nice one Larry
We can also add that the semicolon can be used like a counter in sentences much like comas are used.
It is useful for 'counting' 'aspects' of the sentence that already have a coma.

For example:
The boy spent his time doing these: played, danced and sang 30%; ate, drank and slept 30%

instead of writing this:
The boy spent his time doing these: played, danced and sang 30%, ate, drank and slept 30%

1 Like

Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by UyiIredia(m): 10:15pm On Jul 30, 2015
Very educative, especially on the usage of comma.
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by 989900: 10:42pm On Jul 30, 2015
Well done!

The proposed aim of this thread is to help budding writers who wish to hone their skills; but only very little can be done to those who shy away from sacrifice and knowledge.

In the above example, I think the conjunction after the semi colon is not proper since you do not have commas separating clauses in the sentence.

Kindly revert/educate.

Cheers.
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by Nobody: 10:45pm On Jul 30, 2015
I read everything not because I wanted to but just to punish myself for being lazy. Op, please clap for yourself. You ended up teaching me something today.
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by 989900: 11:24pm On Jul 30, 2015
It was a fine day, and the sun was hot. As I walked through the bush towards the river I heard the sounds of birds whose caws followed me wherever I walked but the appearance of the birds themselves seemed intent on eluding me. For an instant I spied a bird perched on the top of a mahogany, but when this bird discovered that it had been spotted it flew off again. I reached the river’s edge and took off my clothes.

I'd write it this way:

It was a fine day, and the sun was hot. As I walked through the bush towards the river I heard the sounds of birds whose caws followed me wherever I walked, but the appearance of the birds themselves seemed intent on eluding me. For an instant, I spied a bird perched on the top of a mahogany, but when this bird discovered that it had been spotted, it flew off again. I reached the river’s edge and took off my clothes.

I honestly don't want to come off as pedantic, rather, I'm just thrilled at the rare privilege of sharing and 'stealing' from your wealth of knowledge.
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by Nobody: 10:00am On Jul 31, 2015
*Lets out a short sigh*

Finally, I'm done reading everything.

So, Op you're 29 years old grin

You lie!

Thank you owjare, it was edifying.
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by LarrySun(m): 10:04am On Jul 31, 2015
Thoniameek:
*Lets out a short sigh*
Finally, I'm done reading everything.
So, Op you're 29 years old grin
You lie!

Thank you owjare, it was edifying.
I didn't lie.
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by Nobody: 10:09am On Jul 31, 2015
LarrySun:
I didn't lie.

Just kidding with you wink
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by LarrySun(m): 10:14am On Jul 31, 2015
Thoniameek:

Just kidding with you wink
cheesy Thank you, ma'am, for reading.
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by Nobody: 10:31am On Jul 31, 2015
LarrySun:
cheesy Thank you, ma'am, for reading.

Ahh! shocked ma'am ke

*Lies down flat on stomach*

Baba o! Twale!

I'm presently your age mate......... In 2007 grin

My pleasure all the way
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by Fembleez1(m): 12:56am On Aug 08, 2015
Coming back to read. Thanks boss!
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by Fembleez1(m): 9:12pm On Oct 07, 2015
Thanks LarrySun. It was quite educating (educative) and I've learnt one or two things.

Keep up the good work, boss. wink
Re: The Use Of The Full Stop, Comma And Semicolon by exynos(m): 9:31pm On Mar 22
A rare piece that needs to grace FP again.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Exam Seating Arrangement In MOUA, Umudike (Photos) / What Can A Person Do With A Third Class Degree? / UNILORIN Students Nab Two Thieves During Night Class (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.