Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours (39673 Views)

ICAN release the result of Nov 2016 diet result / Helmet Colours And Categories Of Workers That Wear Them / ICAN May/june 2016 Diet Exam- Read This (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Bollove: 11:25pm On Jul 30, 2015
sureguy02:
Have you been writing ICAN exams for ages? The following tips might help you succeed this time.

1. Change your mindset/orientation: Many people are of the belief that ICAN has set out to fail students in order to keep collecting exam fees from them. This notion is at best the greatest lie of the 21st century. I have friends that passed all the exams at first attempt. If they could, you can. You need to change your mindset about this. ICAN will not deny you of your success if you merit it.

2. Prepare ahead: One secret to achieving success in life is to prepare ahead. It is never too early to start your preparation. You should start preparing for the next diet even before the results of those papers you just wrote are released.

3. Adequate coverage of the syllabus: If you always read the examiners report, you would have discovered that the examiners keep complaining that candidates do not cover the syllabus. Never try to guess the areas that will be tested. You need to cover every inch of the syllabus. If you are writing financial reporting exams, make sure you cover all the IFRSs and IASs that will be tested. It is better to go into the exam knowing a reasonable amount about most of the syllabus rather than concentrating on a few topics to the exclusion of the rest.

4. Use the right resources: I cannot overemphasize this part. Make sure you use the right materials in your preparation. You can easily download ICAN materials on their website. Try to combine them with ACCA materials because I have noticed that they are beginning to set their questions in a manner similar to that of ACCA. You can also watch free videos on www.opentuition.com. BPP and Kaplan materials are good.

5. Practice tons of past questions: Try to practise as many past questions as you can lay your hands upon. Questions are not manufactured from thin air. They are rather adapted from past questions, recycled and modified to reflect current circumstances. Past questions will get you acclimatised to the pattern in setting questions over the years. You can download ACCA past questions for additional practise. You could possibly download all the pathfinders on the ICAN website.You will get to know the common pitfalls of students by going through them. Practising as many exam-style questions as possible will be the key to passing ICAN exams. You must do questions under timed conditions and ensure you write full answers to the discussion parts as well as doing the calculations

6. Attend the right tutorial: There are many tuition houses out there claiming to be the best. Please make sure you gauge them very well before making your decision. I recommend PYE, Risk-Free and Wyse because I know they are very good. I personally believe in self-study though. I always read for professional exams on my own. But that is partly because I have an accounting background. Please attend tutorials if you think you need it.

7. Study Buddies: You can reach out to those writing the same papers as you.You can form study groups and meet to revise and practise questons. Make sure you team up with the right people, or else...

8. Pray as if you will not read and study as if you will not pray: If you believe in God, please make sure you pray as if your life depends on it. I cannot rule out the fact that prayer changes things. You need God's help to succeed, not only in ICAN exams but in every aspect of your life.

9. Composure on the exam day: Make sure you are composed on the days of the exam. Do not fidget. Try to get to the venue as early as possible. For the exam proper, make sure you allocate your time effectively and attempt every part of every question you have chosen to answer. Think carefully before you pick from the optional questions. Make sure you write legibly. There will always be some easy marks. Go for them before the complicated ones. Also, you must also follow the requirements of each question exactly.

10. Post-exam: Make sure you do not feel bad after the exam. Just forget about it. If you found it difficult, chances are that other candidates did too. Start preparing for the next one if it is not your last paper for the diet. Also do not try to compare your answers with those of other candidates. There is nothing you can do to change what you have written. The only thing to do now is to pray.

http://ng-books..com/2015/07/how-to-pass-ican-exams-in-flying-colours.html
Anybody who follow this routine will pass ICAN with ease ...

ICAN is simple but many students suffers time management , study pack management and brain management.
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Bollove: 11:30pm On Jul 30, 2015
gly2ken:
I am a geology graduate and I now have four paper to pass in ICAN and become chartered. I have never attended any lecture and by the grace of God l have being passing. the truth about ICAN is that you need to start early. solve plenty of pass question and above pray.
Great testimony.
Deep down any student, if you desire to write ICAN next year, then start preparing this year by reading the study packs and limit other unnecessary engagements till you become qualified......... I hate tutorials, I preferred reading on my own !!!
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by CharLee22: 11:34pm On Jul 30, 2015
.ok
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Bollove: 11:36pm On Jul 30, 2015
controlG:
I failed November 2014, I also failed May 2015..Although I admit I didn't attend prepare well cos of my tight work schedule.. anyway 'm taking a break from ICAN now.. whenever I wish to continue.. I would fllow your guide.
That is the lesson, don't sit for ICAN or other standard professional exams when you know that deep down you , you ain't ready.

You would just be dashing the institution your cool cash !!!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Rexology: 11:37pm On Jul 30, 2015
While you are aspiring to become a Chartered Accountant, it's very important you understand that ICAN does not guarantee you employment, financial freedom or wealth. There are so many jobless and under paid ICAN members out there (it's a statement of fact). However, you should not be discouraged, it's indeed a NOBLE profession. I am proud to identify with ICAN.

2 Likes

Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Priceless00(f): 4:59am On Jul 31, 2015
Nyc one
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by ifedayoifedapo(f): 6:39am On Jul 31, 2015
grin grin olodo
tk4rd:
Me and all my family, we all hate ICAN

2 Likes

Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by donephi(m): 6:46am On Jul 31, 2015
kaboninc:

What level are you sitting for?

Am sitting for the Foundation Level
Foundation
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by abouzaid: 7:40am On Jul 31, 2015
safex:

Visit any zenith bank and buy reg pin for abt 7.5k after which u pay for exemption and then exam fee. Depending on ur qualification, u'll write notin less than 4 papers in d foundation level. Also, u may take tutorials if u so wish
where can i get the examination preparation materials? i would like to read up first before committing to any examination. thanks for the explanation.
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by abouzaid: 7:45am On Jul 31, 2015
sureguy02:
Have you been writing ICAN exams for ages? The following tips might help you succeed this time.

1. Change your mindset/orientation: Many people are of the belief that ICAN has set out to fail students in order to keep collecting exam fees from them. This notion is at best the greatest lie of the 21st century. I have friends that passed all the exams at first attempt. If they could, you can. You need to change your mindset about this. ICAN will not deny you of your success if you merit it.

2. Prepare ahead: One secret to achieving success in life is to prepare ahead. It is never too early to start your preparation. You should start preparing for the next diet even before the results of those papers you just wrote are released.

3. Adequate coverage of the syllabus: If you always read the examiners report, you would have discovered that the examiners keep complaining that candidates do not cover the syllabus. Never try to guess the areas that will be tested. You need to cover every inch of the syllabus. If you are writing financial reporting exams, make sure you cover all the IFRSs and IASs that will be tested. It is better to go into the exam knowing a reasonable amount about most of the syllabus rather than concentrating on a few topics to the exclusion of the rest.

4. Use the right resources: I cannot overemphasize this part. Make sure you use the right materials in your preparation. You can easily download ICAN materials on their website. Try to combine them with ACCA materials because I have noticed that they are beginning to set their questions in a manner similar to that of ACCA. You can also watch free videos on www.opentuition.com. BPP and Kaplan materials are good.

5. Practice tons of past questions: Try to practise as many past questions as you can lay your hands upon. Questions are not manufactured from thin air. They are rather adapted from past questions, recycled and modified to reflect current circumstances. Past questions will get you acclimatised to the pattern in setting questions over the years. You can download ACCA past questions for additional practise. You could possibly download all the pathfinders on the ICAN website.You will get to know the common pitfalls of students by going through them. Practising as many exam-style questions as possible will be the key to passing ICAN exams. You must do questions under timed conditions and ensure you write full answers to the discussion parts as well as doing the calculations

6. Attend the right tutorial: There are many tuition houses out there claiming to be the best. Please make sure you gauge them very well before making your decision. I recommend PYE, Risk-Free and Wyse because I know they are very good. I personally believe in self-study though. I always read for professional exams on my own. But that is partly because I have an accounting background. Please attend tutorials if you think you need it.

7. Study Buddies: You can reach out to those writing the same papers as you.You can form study groups and meet to revise and practise questons. Make sure you team up with the right people, or else...

8. Pray as if you will not read and study as if you will not pray: If you believe in God, please make sure you pray as if your life depends on it. I cannot rule out the fact that prayer changes things. You need God's help to succeed, not only in ICAN exams but in every aspect of your life.

9. Composure on the exam day: Make sure you are composed on the days of the exam. Do not fidget. Try to get to the venue as early as possible. For the exam proper, make sure you allocate your time effectively and attempt every part of every question you have chosen to answer. Think carefully before you pick from the optional questions. Make sure you write legibly. There will always be some easy marks. Go for them before the complicated ones. Also, you must also follow the requirements of each question exactly.

10. Post-exam: Make sure you do not feel bad after the exam. Just forget about it. If you found it difficult, chances are that other candidates did too. Start preparing for the next one if it is not your last paper for the diet. Also do not try to compare your answers with those of other candidates. There is nothing you can do to change what you have written. The only thing to do now is to pray.

http://ng-books..com/2015/07/how-to-pass-ican-exams-in-flying-colours.html
please can you open a thread explaining step by step on how to be a chartered accountant especially for those from non aaccounting background? it would be most helpful to us all. thanks and remain blessed.

1 Like

Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Abbey247: 8:22am On Jul 31, 2015
Nice and informative tips
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by wacoj(m): 8:36am On Jul 31, 2015
Beesluv:
Thanks, but can ICAN syllabus be covered grin

If you can, I can.

Even if you can't, I still can grin

YES it can be covered. But one can still fail the exam after covering it in a rush or without proper understanding.
The problem is that when most people fail in any diet, they either give up or skip subsequent diet.

I am a living witness, I wrote ICAN 8 times i.e 4 yrs consistently without skipping a single diet in-between. Today, the joy of being
a chartered Accountant with ACA atached to my name is so overwhelming. IF I CAN, YOU CAN!

3 Likes

Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by PuntGenius: 9:38am On Jul 31, 2015
Nice and helpful post
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Nobody: 10:12am On Jul 31, 2015
Op nice post.....but I will stick with number 8 which is applicable in our life endeavours.
However, you fail to identify the financial implications.
Thanks.
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by tcoach(m): 10:33am On Jul 31, 2015
Passing ICAN exam requires a great deal of confidence and some intelligent calculations in your mode of preparation and attempting exam questions. It is practically a huge task covering the whole syllabus but covering a substantial part like 85 percent is still ok. Above all, it takes the grace of God after all some of us qualified before our so called all knowing lecturers. God bless our hustle!

2 Likes

Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by MIM77(m): 11:14am On Jul 31, 2015
Passing ICAN is not necessarily for the brilliant ones but for those who don't give up no matter what. For those aspiring to sit for ICAN, pls grab the following additional tips:
1. Once you start writing, don't skip any diet even if you have not passed any paper in the last one. By the time you are preparing for resit, it will be like revision, but when you skip a diet i.e. one year, know that you are almost starting all over.
2. Always tell yourself you must get to the end, even in the face of failure and frustration. The preparation could be very frustrating because of the voluminous syllabus, most especially when it is self study.
3. Be religious with your reading programme, don't spend less than the daily allocated time. Should you loose some time for one reason or the other, try and make up. This is necessary in order to achieve a reasonable level of quality coverage, because 100% quality coverage is difficult to achieve.
4. Commence preparation as soon the last diet is completed, which is six months to the next diet.
5. Go through the past question papers of each subject for at least the last 5 years to identify the areas that mostly feature in the exams so that more concentration will be put on such areas.
More tips later.

1 Like

Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by mohioma: 1:57pm On Jul 31, 2015
Hmmnnnnnn ican
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by femi4: 2:43pm On Jul 31, 2015
Jamean:
ICAN - I Can smiley

Team Wyse wink
Wyse chopping your money since 1896

1 Like

Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Nobody: 3:59pm On Aug 27, 2015

1 Like

Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by bussygracegod1(f): 7:10pm On Aug 15, 2016
if i want to register for acca this year and i dont want to write exam this year; which month can i register and which month will i write the exam next year.......anyone pls
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 15, 2016
bussygracegod1:
if i want to register for acca this year and i dont want to write exam this year; which month can i register and which month will i write the exam next year.......anyone pls

Why don't you wait till next year before you register. You would have to pay the annual subscription fee is you register now. You can write your first diet in march 2016
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Nobody: 7:27pm On Aug 15, 2016
bussygracegod1:

Why don't you wait till next year before you register. You would have to pay the annual subscription fee is you register now. You can write your first diet in march 2017
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Nobody: 8:15am On Aug 16, 2016
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Abdul4trust1(m): 8:27pm On Aug 16, 2016
Jamean:
ICAN - I Can smiley
Team Wyse wink
please, How Do I Pay Exam Fee For Skills Level?
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Jamean(f): 8:49pm On Aug 16, 2016
Abdul4trust1:
please, How Do I Pay Exam Fee For Skills Level?

check your financial status using your registration number, then go to any bank and make cash deposit which will be lodged via pay direct platform. Account name is ICAN examination fee. a receipt will be printed, use the details to fill your exam registration form online.

specify your registration number and how many papers you are paying for at the top of the deposit slip.
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by general4gety(m): 8:54pm On Aug 16, 2016
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Abdul4trust1(m): 10:39pm On Aug 16, 2016
Jamean:

check your financial status using your registration number, then go to any bank and make cash deposit which will be lodged via pay direct platform. Account name is ICAN examination fee. a receipt will be printed, use the details to fill your exam registration form online.

specify your registration number and how many papers you are paying for at the top of the deposit slip.
thanks A Lot. Please Will I Need To Submit Any Document To Ican Again After Paying The Exam Fee As I Did During My Exempion? Do I Need To Print Any Document? And Finally, What Will Be The Cost Of Two Subject Because I'm Planning To Write Two In The Comming Diet?
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Jamean(f): 6:53am On Aug 17, 2016
Abdul4trust1:
thanks A Lot. Please Will I Need To Submit Any Document To Ican Again After Paying The Exam Fee As I Did During My Exempion? Do I Need To Print Any Document? And Finally, What Will Be The Cost Of Two Subject Because I'm Planning To Write Two In The Comming Diet?

After you fill the form online submit and print out. You need not submit to them, a couple of days to the exam you go print your docket. 2papers is about 38k, not sure of the exact amount. check their website.
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Abdul4trust1(m): 11:18am On Aug 17, 2016
Jamean:

After you fill the form online submit and print out. You need not submit to them, a couple of days to the exam you go print your docket. 2papers is about 38k, not sure of the exact amount. check their website.
very Greatful Thanks
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Mandateinfinito(m): 3:17am On Jan 15, 2017
Pls how can I register for ICAN? I'm an HND holder from Federal Polytechnic Ilaro! I read Accounting! 2ndly, If I don't want to write exams in May, how can I go abt it? Thanks!
Re: How To Pass ICAN Exams With Flying Colours by Ugosample(m): 12:00pm On Feb 28, 2017
ednut1:
used jst study pack nd text book, used the last diets pathfinder to predict what dey wud set. and i crammed like mad. no past questions or tutorial, bt chai i don forget almost wetin i cram. its allowed sha# aca

Have you completed the papers?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Helmet Colours And Categories Of Workers That Wear Them / See How My Ex Boss Rewarded Me For Being Loyal / I Asked For My Promotion And I Got A Transfer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.