Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,006 members, 7,806,924 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:05 AM

What Yar'adua Told Me When I Confronted Him On Reversal Of Sale Of Refineries To - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Yar'adua Told Me When I Confronted Him On Reversal Of Sale Of Refineries To (930 Views)

Court Order On Reversal Of Electricity Tariff May Lead To Loss Of 10,000 Jobs / Foreign Refineries To Stop Buying Nigeria’s Crude Oil Due To NDA Attacks / NNPC Recommends Sale Of Refineries, Buhari Disagrees (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Yar'adua Told Me When I Confronted Him On Reversal Of Sale Of Refineries To by isbish(m): 5:04am On Jul 31, 2015
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo has castigated his successor in office, late President Umar Musa Yar’Adua for reversing the sale of the Kaduna and Port Harcourt refineries to a Dangote-led consortium by his administration.

The late president made the cancellation of the privatization of the moribund refineries one of the first things he did immediately he took over power from Obasanjo.

In the second part of an interview he granted Channels TV on Wednesday, Obasanjo, who is speaking publicly on the issue for the first time, accused Yar’Adua of bowing to pressure by some unnamed persons by canceling the said contract.

The ex-president, while justifying some of the claims he made in his controversial three-volume autobiography, My Watch, spoke about his efforts to get people to invest in the oil sector and how the country eventually secured buyers for two of its four refineries.

He said, “Eventually Aliko Dangote led a group that paid $750m for the privatisation of two of the refineries – 51 per cent privatisation – and my successor (Yar’Adua) came (in), he turned it down. In fact, he paid back the money because they (investors) had paid the money.

“And I went to him; I said ‘look, do you know…? And he said well, he did it because of pressure. I said ‘pressure?’, so to you what matters is pressure, not what is in the best interest of Nigerians. I said, but you know it will not work. Then I said in 10 years, if you continue, you would have spent two times the amount that these people had paid and it still would not work. And that is what happened.

“Today those two refineries, you can never make them work. And if we are going to sell them, we would be lucky to get $250m out of them because they have become a huge scrap. Now, why shouldn’t I explain that (in my book)?”

Source:
http://www.tori.ng/news/5598/what-yaradua-told-me-when-i-confronted-him-on-reve.html
Re: What Yar'adua Told Me When I Confronted Him On Reversal Of Sale Of Refineries To by here: 5:28am On Jul 31, 2015
We are Africans,we don't speak against the departed even if we had to make a point we atleast pray for repose of their Souls.These politicians take it personal anytime anyone works against them directly.
Why was Dangote so interested in buying when all years they painted it that those refineries can never work? Why wasnt he given license to build smaller sizes and operate? Every government complains of pressure and consulting widely,even Abacha and confirmed by IIBB,the question is who are these guys who gets to decide everytime and why does everyone keep hidimg their names,I expected obk to have asked him to give him the names of those who pressured him
He didnt even tell the Ex-president's final reply because as always he believes Nigerians are gullible and would buy only his version.
Dangote has cement and till date I wonder where he has the interest of Nigerians based on his prize and allowing of middle men and the alleged policies of him in the past using government to take over factories of competitors like the Koreans story during the same government Obj is complaining.He took over cement factories that would have offered less when completed,he gets government assist more than anyone else and no one asks if all others get same.
Dangote could build power plants too,atleast he was in Lagos to show he can.Why didnt Obj give him that too
Whats about the refinery that is my point
Re: What Yar'adua Told Me When I Confronted Him On Reversal Of Sale Of Refineries To by saintneo(m): 5:29am On Jul 31, 2015
Yaradua was not ready to lead.

BTW, have a look at Nigeria glo Premier League Fixtures and the Star Match of the Week.

1 Like

Re: What Yar'adua Told Me When I Confronted Him On Reversal Of Sale Of Refineries To by AnyibestDede(m): 5:39am On Jul 31, 2015
Sincerely obj is 80% of the problems in nigeria

2 Likes

Re: What Yar'adua Told Me When I Confronted Him On Reversal Of Sale Of Refineries To by phoenixchap: 5:43am On Jul 31, 2015
Who cares anymore, the refineries are going to start refining crude soon, so..... Bleep off Obj. As tho he had any plans that favoured Nigerians during administration except for stealing..

2 Likes

Re: What Yar'adua Told Me When I Confronted Him On Reversal Of Sale Of Refineries To by M4gunners: 6:03am On Jul 31, 2015
Baba talk active is at it again.
Re: What Yar'adua Told Me When I Confronted Him On Reversal Of Sale Of Refineries To by tessylove2(f): 6:15am On Jul 31, 2015
Re: What Yar'adua Told Me When I Confronted Him On Reversal Of Sale Of Refineries To by juman(m): 6:42am On Jul 31, 2015
Nonsense
Re: What Yar'adua Told Me When I Confronted Him On Reversal Of Sale Of Refineries To by otukpo(f): 6:50am On Jul 31, 2015
AnyibestDede:

I think so too.
Re: What Yar'adua Told Me When I Confronted Him On Reversal Of Sale Of Refineries To by AnyibestDede(m): 7:15am On Jul 31, 2015
otukpo:

I think so too.
And the old man is very shameless
Re: What Yar'adua Told Me When I Confronted Him On Reversal Of Sale Of Refineries To by hamzakito(m): 7:26am On Jul 31, 2015
AnyibestDede:
lol na true o my broda... any govt wey kom u go c obj the jump up nd jump down..

(1) (Reply)

Obat Oil’s Mother In-law Kidnapped / Buhari Tricked Tinubu To Get Power – Senator Femi Okunrounmu / Checkout This Throwback Photo Of Fela And His Son Femi Kuti On Stage In 1983

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.