Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,187 members, 7,780,296 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:50 AM

Music, Naija artists' & Weed (the Connection) - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Music, Naija artists' & Weed (the Connection) (747 Views)

Which Song Makes You Feel At Heaven While You Smoke Weed?? / Latest Music: Naija No Dey Carry Last - E Tekniq / 5 Nigerian Artists Who Take Lyrics For Granted (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Music, Naija artists' & Weed (the Connection) by MrCrown: 11:56am On Jul 31, 2015
I saw this coming, the strange pop culture you come across on the streets and through peer groups attaching the success of music artists to marijuana, e.g. Fela, Bob Marley, new age acts (fill in the gaps yourselves) etc. etc. Earlier through the years though, MJ is mostly associated with madness or mental sluggishness which cannot be denied.
To its users, the drug has many names—many of them evasive. Marijuana may be called igbo, kanaku, smoke, Mary Jane or MJ, Indian hay, loco, weed, grass, etc. (lets know yours in the comments below).
The word marijuana is of Mexican origin and means “the weed that intoxicates.” It is made from the Indian hemp plant, a spreading green bush resembling sumac. Known to the pharmacopoeia as Cannabis sativa, it is a source of important paint ingredients and rope fiber as well as narcotics. It can be grown easily almost anywhere, hence tends to be inexpensive as drugs go.
In most Nigerian cities the marijuana salesman peddles his smoke to known clients in public places even as law enforcements’ keep keen eyes out for peddlers (Dealers always have their ways).
When you blast the weed” (smoke). Two or three long puffs usually suffice after a while to produce a light jag.
Though much of the street lingua franca would fade into the skunky haze of time as new names come up to replace the old ones for evasive reasons or perception or trend, “the weed” itself wouldn’t stay mysterious for much longer.
One reason for that mainstreaming shift is hinted at by the overhyped fact of Nigerian entertainers who in some unproven fact are said to owe much of their street credibility and their expressiveness to the use of weed. At this point I would ask the question that does it mean a lot of our artists who have refused to produce hits lately have not been puffing smoke or taking enough? Or does it mean the new guys making hits- live, eat and smoke weed? I will stop asking the questions here and let this open ended or otherwise abstract write-up give (you) the reader a chance to think and answer for yourselves.
Personally I think the reason for the connection between music and marijuana is that the illusion of a slower sense of time and a keener sense of hearing might allow musicians to improvise with more confidence. Plus, though the effects of the drug might look like the effects of alcohol, it seemed in some ways to be a better choice of vice. Though regular use would get in the way of “orderly living,” which seem to cause “physical, mental or moral degeneration.”
Heavy-drinkers are afflicted with cirrhosis or other alcohol-related conditions and the price tag of a bottle of cold beer (If your bar has electricity to cool drinks) which could also further convince Naija believers to choose to light up instead.
Re: Music, Naija artists' & Weed (the Connection) by Nobody: 11:57am On Jul 31, 2015
undecided

(1) (Reply)

Inno Blinkz – Function (prod. MKJ Beatz) / Eva - Deaf And Dumb (ft. Olamide And Sarkodie) / I See Your Praise For J.cole's 4 Your Eyez Only , I Raise You Smoke Dza & Pete R

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.