Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,373 members, 7,808,306 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:08 AM

Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners - Career (22) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners (127947 Views)

Poll: Which option of Electrical Engineering do you prefer?

Electronics and Telecoms: 68% (203 votes)
Power and Machinery: 28% (84 votes)
Lecturing: 3% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Mechatronic Engineers: aspirants and practitioners meet here. / Marine Engineering Aspirants And Practitioners: Any Future? / Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Liadi2(m): 9:53pm On Sep 24, 2011
Pls anybody in room to help i need where to do my industrial training attachment to gain more experience on my course of study my contact addres is this 07062817783 or my email ayodelebiodun@rocketmail.com
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by kelvincoll(m): 2:57pm On Sep 29, 2011
Hi great Engineers,
Nice to have a forum where peepz can be motivated towards this profession.
Please i need assistance on what to do or expect. I registered as a graduate member to NSE and NIEEE in march this year. Still, i am yet to get anything that shows i am a member. I wondered after registration what am i supposed to expect and how one could start attending meeting?

1 Like

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 11:59am On Sep 30, 2011
kelvincoll:

Hi great Engineers,
Nice to have a forum where peepz can be motivated towards this profession.
Please i need assistance on what to do or expect. I registered as a graduate member to NSE and NIEEE in march this year. Still, i am yet to get anything that shows i am a member. I wondered after registration what am i supposed to expect and how one could start attending meeting?

I hear joining NSE is a very expensive endeavour o, can you tell me how you went about it?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 6:39pm On Sep 30, 2011
netotse:

I hear joining NSE is a very expensive endeavour o, can you tell me how you went about it?

Unless it's required where you work, it's a waste of time really. Or maybe if you need government contracts or whatnot.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Liadi2(m): 6:37am On Oct 03, 2011
@AJANLEKOKO, PLS KINDLY RECOMMEND A PLACE WHERE I CAN GAIN ALOT ON ELECTRONICS I JUST FINISH MY NATIONAL DIPLOMA,I WANT TO DO IT I MEAN ATTACHMENT IN IBADAN. PLS AM LACKING BEHIND A LOT ABOUT MY COURSE I WANT WAT I WENT TO SCHOOL AND PLS HELP ME OUT ON IT I WILL LOOKING FORWARD TO HEAR FROM YOU
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Liadi2(m): 6:41am On Oct 03, 2011
ANYBODY IN THIS FORUM SHOULD HELP ME ON THIS MATTER , PLS KINDLY RECOMMEND A PLACE WHERE I CAN GAIN ALOT ON ELECTRONICS I JUST FINISH MY NATIONAL DIPLOMA,I WANT TO DO IT I MEAN ATTACHMENT IN IBADAN. PLS AM LACKING BEHIND A LOT ABOUT MY COURSE I WANT TO KNOW WAT I WENT TO SCHOOL FOR AND PLS HELP ME OUT ON IT I WILL LOOKING FORWARD TO HEAR FROM YOU
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 8:48pm On Oct 03, 2011
Liadi2:

ANYBODY IN THIS FORUM SHOULD HELP ME ON THIS MATTER  , PLS KINDLY RECOMMEND A PLACE WHERE I CAN GAIN ALOT ON ELECTRONICS I JUST FINISH MY NATIONAL DIPLOMA,I WANT TO DO IT I MEAN ATTACHMENT IN IBADAN. PLS AM LACKING BEHIND A LOT ABOUT MY COURSE I WANT TO  KNOW WAT I WENT TO SCHOOL FOR AND PLS HELP ME OUT ON IT I WILL LOOKING FORWARD TO HEAR FROM YOU 

Go to any 'radionic' you can find around you, and offer to apprentice for free.
Also, get material on electronics, read, go to any scrap market similar to Oshodi in Lagos, get a couple of ICs and a Veroboard, couple the ICs together, and see what happens. That's how we learnt electronics in my day.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Liadi2(m): 12:28am On Oct 04, 2011
PLS ROOM WAT ARE THOSE TYPE OF ELECTRONICS TEXT BOOK THAT I CAN READ AND HELP ME ALOT TO START DEVELOPING SOME PROJECT ON MY OWN AND WHERE I CAN GET CIRCUIT DIAGRAM TO START PRACTICING PLS I MEAN SMALL PROJECT MAY LIKE FM, LIGHT DIMMER, PHOTO CELL SWICTH, AND SOME OTHER CIRCUIT DIAGRAM. Pls pls pls help help waiting for your reply room

1 Like

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Liadi2(m): 12:31am On Oct 04, 2011
@Ajalenkoko, pls kindly help on this.PLS ROOM WAT ARE THOSE TYPE OF ELECTRONICS TEXT BOOK THAT I CAN READ AND HELP ME ALOT TO START DEVELOPING SOME PROJECT ON MY OWN AND WHERE I CAN GET CIRCUIT DIAGRAM TO START PRACTICING PLS I MEAN SMALL PROJECT MAY LIKE FM, LIGHT DIMMER, PHOTO CELL SWICTH, AND SOME OTHER CIRCUIT DIAGRAM. Pls pls pls help help waiting for your reply room
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 12:45am On Oct 04, 2011
^^
Just one is fine.

The Art Of Electronics, by Horowitz and Hill.
A free download is available here.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Liadi2(m): 6:38am On Oct 04, 2011
@AJALENKOKO THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, PLS KINDLY RECOMMEND A PLACE WHERE I CAN LEARN PRACTICALLY ON ELECTRONICS, I MEAN WHERE THEY ARE INVERTER,UPS, SOLARPANEL, STABILIZER, JUST ANYTHING BASE ON ELECTRONICS. IN IBADAN PLS I WANT TO LEARN PRACTICALLY.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by dadde(m): 6:52am On Oct 04, 2011
A multinational security firm requires the services of a qualified and professional electrical engineer  that will head the project team.

Preferred candidates must be:
- A graduate from a recognized university in the country,
-must be vest in electrical installations; both conduit and surface.
- must have at least five years electrical project management experience
- must be familiar with  electrical materials
- Must posses great leadership qualities
- Must be ready to work extra hours
- must be within 35 and 45 years of age.
-must be vast  in electrical maintenance and project management
- must be mulMiltieasking

Salary,very attractive and a vehicle attached.
interested candidates should send their resume to hr@aagroupsite.com. the subject of their mail must read " electrical engineer" . closing date of application is 9th of October 2011.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 5:19pm On Oct 04, 2011
Liadi2:

@AJALENKOKO THANKS FOR YOUR HELP, PLS KINDLY RECOMMEND A PLACE WHERE I CAN LEARN PRACTICALLY ON ELECTRONICS, I MEAN WHERE THEY ARE INVERTER,UPS, SOLARPANEL, STABILIZER, JUST ANYTHING BASE ON ELECTRONICS. IN IBADAN PLS I WANT TO LEARN PRACTICALLY.

could you not type in caps? it's considered rude on some message boards. If ibadan is a must you could find an electrician to tag along with, but if lagos is an option you could look back a couple of pages where I gave someone a website of company that holds training camps in lagos.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by alkhwarizm: 8:46pm On Oct 04, 2011
netotse:

i totally agree with you. . .

I'd be really interested in hearing about your experience with power. . .care to share?

Sure thing Netotse. Sorry I'vee been away for a couple of weeks.

My power experience has been mainly in the area of High Voltage D.C transmission. I first became swithched on to this technology as an undergrad in the mid-late eighties reading the IEEE Spectrum magazine. In particular, I learned about the Pacific Intertie, a High Voltage D.C Transmission line on the west coast of the U.S. I remember thinking, 'Wow. Is that even possible? How do you even generate such high D.C voltages to begin with?" Up till that point, I was steeped in the belief that once you generated your A.C voltages and then stepped them up using transformers, you were left with no choice but to transmit your power as A.C. This was how it was done in Nigeria at that time, and as you know, high voltage A.C transmission is still the way it's done in Nigeria till date. When I discovered that given the right conditions, it was not only possible but preferable to do otherwise, I was fascinated.

Even though the mid-eighties are not too far away in the rear-view mirror on an electrical enginering time-scale, HVDC technology was still relatively new and unproven technology at that time. Spectrum magazine highlighted some of the ongoing debate about the benefits/justifiability of this technology. There were lively dscussions not only amongst electricaal engineering experts but also within the general public. Those were interesting times with few people knowing what the future held for HVDC technology.

Fast forward 20-25 years and HVDC technology is more mature. The technology is better understood and engineers have gained knowledge and experience resulting from dozens of HVDC installations around the world. In Africa, to the best of my knowledge, there is only one HVDC transmission line in the entire continent. That line is the 1700km long transmission line between the generation site at Inga and Katanga (formerly Shaba) in the Democratic Republic of Congo. I worked on that project, and I finally got a chance to experience up-close, the technology that so intrigued me more than twenty years ago.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 3:55pm On Oct 11, 2011
alkhwarizm:

Sure thing Netotse. Sorry I'vee been away for a couple of weeks.

My power experience has been mainly in the area of High Voltage D.C transmission. I first became swithched on to this technology as an undergrad in the mid-late eighties reading the IEEE Spectrum magazine. In particular, I learned about the Pacific Intertie, a High Voltage D.C Transmission line on the west coast of the U.S. I remember thinking, 'Wow. Is that even possible? How do you even generate such high D.C voltages to begin with?" Up till that point, I was steeped in the belief that once you generated your A.C voltages and then stepped them up using transformers, you were left with no choice but to transmit your power as A.C. This was how it was done in Nigeria at that time, and as you know, high voltage A.C transmission is still the way it's done in Nigeria till date. When I discovered that given the right conditions, it was not only possible but preferable to do otherwise, I was fascinated.

Even though the mid-eighties are not too far away in the rear-view mirror on an electrical enginering time-scale, HVDC technology was still relatively new and unproven technology at that time. Spectrum magazine highlighted some of the ongoing debate about the benefits/justifiability of this technology. There were lively dscussions not only amongst electricaal engineering experts but also within the general public. Those were interesting times with few people knowing what the future held for HVDC technology.

Fast forward 20-25 years and HVDC technology is more mature. The technology is better understood and engineers have gained knowledge and experience resulting from dozens of HVDC installations around the world. In Africa, to the best of my knowledge, there is only one HVDC transmission line in the entire continent. That line is the 1700km long transmission line between the generation site at Inga and Katanga (formerly Shaba) in the Democratic Republic of Congo. I worked on that project, and I finally got a chance to experience up-close, the technology that so intrigued me more than twenty years ago.

cool beans, we should be getting an EHV network in nigeria soon (700kV) according to the federal govt(aka bros Jona). Most of my experience has been in normal AC transmission but now I work in a predictive maintenance department in a cement company now I still plan to go back to the power sector sha. . .

So what sector are you in now?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by alkhwarizm: 9:46pm On Oct 12, 2011
netotse:

cool beans, we should be getting an EHV network in nigeria soon (700kV) according to the federal govt(aka bros Jona). Most of my experience has been in normal AC transmission but now I work in a predictive maintenance department in a cement company now I still plan to go back to the power sector sha. . .

So what sector are you in now?

I am in Technology Consulting.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by GODSJEWEL2: 11:07am On Oct 27, 2011
@Ajankole
Thk you so much for the advice you gave.but the thing is even with your 2.1 the competition is still high.most companies ask for 4-5 years experience,I wonder where a fresh is meant to get it if no one employs then.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 11:45pm On Oct 27, 2011
GODS JEWEL:

@Ajankole
Thk you so much for the advice you gave.but the thing is even with your 2.1 the competition is still high[b].most companies ask for 4-5 years experience[/b],I wonder where a fresh is meant to get it if no one employs then.

you're being a bit melodramatic, most graduate trainee positions require 0-2 years experience, any position that asks for 4-5 isn't for recent graduates
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by gabnice(m): 10:58pm On Oct 29, 2011
Please this forum is for elect elect.how can one who didn't study anytin related to science.but has little idea on computer and elect. Which was not leant from anywere. Please i want to no more.how do i get the exposure i need i love anytin related to pratical.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by rosebelly: 2:16am On Oct 30, 2011
I have a vast knowledge on industrial electrical controls using relay logics. Now I would love to learn how to implement most of those my controls using PLCs. I wouldn't want where I will waste anytime on those fundermentals like number systems and the likes. Rather, I want where I would start the programming immediately. I would also prefer to come the some of my relay logic designs for them to be converted into PLC ladders. I would also prefer a weekend arrangement.

Pls if anyone knows where I can get this service and at an affordable rate should pls drop the contact for me here so that I can make enquires. Pls I need experts not 'leaners' who claim they know it all only for you to discorver that they know nothing after you must have committed your money. Thanks and god bless us.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Talktumuch: 5:59pm On Oct 31, 2011
gabnice:

Please this forum is for elect elect.how can one who didn't study anytin related to science.but has little idea on computer and elect. Which was not leant from anywere. Please i want to no more.how do i get the exposure i need i love anytin related to pratical.

You are right but sometimes one may conclude that know knowledge is lost. After all, a number of our staff in TalkTooMuch.Net are not engaged in their primary discipline and they are quite happy.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Chapi: 10:01am On Nov 11, 2011
House pls help, Which IT course can best march my career as an Electrical Engineer (Power). And where can I enroll in Abuja. Thanks.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Chapi: 10:34am On Nov 11, 2011
House pls help, Which IT course can best match my career as an Electrical Engineer (Power). And where can I enroll in Abuja. Thanks.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 1:57pm On Nov 11, 2011
Chapi:

House pls help, Which IT course can best match my career as an Electrical Engineer (Power). And where can I enroll in Abuja. Thanks.

cant think of any IT course o, knowing how to use microsoft office(excel, word and power point) are useful as general skills. . .you dont need to go to an IT centre for those.

try to get your hands on some of the power system analysis software (NEPLAN, ETAP powerworld) and toy around with them, there's this game called power grid on the DOE(US dept of energy) website that'll be useful.

My guess is you're trying to make your CV look good, am I right?

1 Like

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Chapi: 2:48pm On Nov 11, 2011
@netotse, you re right. I need something that will add colour to my CV, that will attract employer in the power sector.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 10:33pm On Nov 11, 2011
@chapi
when the power companies want to employ, they'll be looking at your experience, not necessarily your certificates. . .

I have a few questions to ask you, hope you dont mind. . .

what's your profile? done with school? when? are you serving? where? what's your interest in power?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 8:28am On Nov 12, 2011
@AJANLEKOKO, GOOD SIR. TANX 4 ALL D ADVICE U'V BEEN GIVIN PEEPS, ITS BEEN VERY HELPFUL 2 ME EVEN.
    I HAVE A SERIOUS PROB, I'LL B GOIN 4 SERVICE IN 3DAYS TIME, I GRADUATED IN 2010(ELECTRICAL ELECTRONICS, FUTO). I CAME OUT WT A 2.2(BELOW 3.0), 4 OVER A YR D TRAUMA HAS BEEN THERE. PLZ I WANT 2 ASK, WAT CAN I DO WT DS DISTRESSING RESULT? IS IT STIL POSSIBLE 2 MAKE IT BIG IN EEE CAREER AGAIN? I'M TINKIN OF STARTIN ANODA DEGREE, IS IT ADVISABLE??
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Chapi: 9:03am On Nov 12, 2011
@netotse, Tanks 4 ur concern, I have HND in Elect/Elect(power) 2008. Served in 2009. I did IT with PHCN in 2003, I ve work with a contractor installing prepayment meter 4 PHCN. 2009, work with an India Company that are into installation of UPS, Inverter, Transformer, AVR and other. 2010. Electrical work. But at the moment I'm a Technician in bank, I wish to go back to the power sector to continue my career.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Chapi: 9:07am On Nov 12, 2011
@netotse, Tanks 4 ur concern, I have HND in Elect/Elect(power) 2008. Served in 2009. I did IT with PHCN in 2003, I ve work with a contractor installing prepayment meter 4 PHCN. 2009, work with an India Company that are into installation of UPS, Inverter, Transformer, AVR and other Electrical work. 2010. But at the moment I'm a Technician in bank, I wish to go back to the power sector to continue my career.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 6:37pm On Nov 12, 2011
Hi netotse, Ajalenkoko etal, i wish to commend you guys for the great job you have done keeping this thread alive and informative.I graduated with a 2.1 in EE power option in 2010 and just completed my NYSC. My zeal for power was similar to the one expressed by netotse earlier in the thread. Now that i'm thru with service though, i'm not so sure anymore. I worked as a pre NYSC trainee in Rockson Engineering Ph (they are involved in the building of most of the generating stations in naija,from alaoji in Abia to gbarain in Bayelsa, including the new one in kaduna). I thought that I'll get all the exposure i'll need in power during my stay there, only to discover that most of the work there are contracted out to foreign companies (like General Electric) who supply and install the turbines. to make matter worse i served in the north as a teacher.Now that i'm thru with service, i'm just confused as to where to go from here. My goal was to be a design guru in power systems( i've learnt Autocad on my own to a reasonable degree).can't pursue masters cos there's no fund.I'm very confused.pls advice
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Nobody: 5:05pm On Nov 13, 2011
am sorry to say this but it seem this forum has not really been to help to the fresh graduates on this forum. The big guns just speak electrical terms that we the freshers dont understand and give us little without any serious pointer on what to really do to devlop. If we receive help from u definately a day would come when we would also teach others, am a fresh graduate with 2.1in electrical electronics engineering. Pls show us the way.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 10:30pm On Nov 13, 2011
Chapi:

@netotse, Tanks 4 your concern, I have HND in Elect/Elect(power) 2008. Served in 2009. I did IT with PHCN in 2003, I ve work with a contractor installing prepayment meter 4 PHCN. 2009, work with an India Company that are into installation of UPS, Inverter, Transformer, AVR and other Electrical work. 2010. But at the moment I'm a Technician in bank, I wish to go back to the power sector to continue my career.
k. . .your background is pretty good, you seem to be more distribution oriented, I dont think there are any IT programs that'd be of much use, however knowing how to use excel well is always a plus for any engineer, methinks you should focus on improving your skill set so when you get the chance to go back to the power sector you'll be ready.

Ultimately, as an engineer, when an interviewer is in front of you, he's trying to gauge what you have to offer aka what you can do. . .having a lot of certificates is a step in the right direction but still it isn't as good as being confident enough in your abilities such that the interviewer cant help but think "damn this guy knows his onions!"

knowing how to use them power flow softwares wont hurt if you're looking to get into transmission when the reforms move into high gear.

fury:

Hi netotse, Ajalenkoko etal, i wish to commend you guys for the great job you have done keeping this thread alive and informative.I graduated with a 2.1 in EE power option in 2010 and just completed my NYSC. My zeal for power was similar to the one expressed by netotse earlier in the thread. Now that i'm thru with service though, i'm not so sure anymore. I worked as a pre NYSC trainee in Rockson Engineering Ph (they are involved in the building of most of the generating stations in naija,from alaoji in Abia to gbarain in Bayelsa, including the new one in kaduna). I thought that I'll get all the exposure i'll need in power during my stay there, only to discover that most of the work there are contracted out to foreign companies (like General Electric) who supply and install the turbines. to make matter worse i served in the north as a teacher.Now that i'm thru with service, i'm just confused as to where to go from here. My goal was to be a design guru in power systems( i've learnt Autocad on my own to a reasonable degree).can't pursue masters cos there's no fund.I'm very confused.pls advice

*sigh* I'm not sure where to start. . .why didn't you serve in Rockson? or PHCN? networking would have been much easier then, I got my first job after NYSC through someone I met during my IT in PHCN, although the job sucked, it was still something. . . If you're still interested in power, my advice to you would be to keep your eyes open and continually seek information as well as contacts, I know activity in the power sector should pick up soon(hopefully from next year) getting jobs in the power sector now is basically a function of the information you have or who you know. I've deviated from power for a bit(long story), the skills I'm learning now are applicable in power so I'm not worried about being relevant when the power sector picks up grin

teeo:

am sorry to say this but it seem this forum has not really been to help to the fresh graduates on this forum. The big guns just speak electrical terms that we the freshers dont understand and give us little without any serious pointer on what to really do to devlop. If we receive help from u definately a day would come when we would also teach others, am a fresh graduate with 2.1in electrical electronics engineering. Pls show us the way.
my advice to you is to network. . .start to develop contacts, seek out knowledge relevant to what you want to do, seek out people that do what you want to do, learn from them. . .that's what I do and it's serving me well

one more thing. . ."I'm sorry to say this". . .wrong approach. . ."nuff said

@chapi, fury and teeo
I'll keep my eyes peeled, If I hear anything I'll come here and share it. . .

I saw a job ad a while ago, you could try it, it might still be open

(1) (2) (3) ... (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) ... (35) (Reply)

The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. / About The ICAN/ATS Examinations / Ghanaian Nurse Who Twerked In Her Uniform Declared Wanted By Nurses Association

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.