Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,672 members, 7,801,937 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 06:25 AM

Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners - Career (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners (127876 Views)

Poll: Which option of Electrical Engineering do you prefer?

Electronics and Telecoms: 68% (203 votes)
Power and Machinery: 28% (84 votes)
Lecturing: 3% (9 votes)
This poll has ended

Mechatronic Engineers: aspirants and practitioners meet here. / Marine Engineering Aspirants And Practitioners: Any Future? / Civil Engineering: Aspirants And Practitioners (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (35) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lekside44(m): 9:25pm On Jun 05, 2009
@ all
biomedical engineering and , any course is possible in nigeria. all it takes is for the policy makers to sit down and vote in favour of the establishment of such department. think of it. many years ago during my own days as a jambite, there are no courses such as system eng. and gas eng (in unilag), software eng, information technology (as offered by some private university), e.t.c. courses evolve from other courses with time. mech and electrical came from civil eng. electronics eng. came from electrical eng. computer eng from electronics, chemical from mech eng, petroleum eng from chemical eng, gas eng from petroleum eng e.t.c.
i think the problem with nigeria is that we are too rigid in our educational structure, course developement and curriculum review. the lecture notes delivered to our present leaders in the educational sectors (profs and phd's) prevails to date. newer thories and inventions are not been re introduced into our university curriculums.take in the areas of programming. basic prog. lang which makes use of character users interface still predominates in the teaching of programming lang in most of our higher institutions. thanks to the solo efforts of some private universties that tends to teach their students in more recent prog. lang and makes them more fit for present real life usage thus making them more marketable.
unless we have a more liberal university, things migth continue like this for a long time.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by bawomolo(m): 1:23am On Jun 06, 2009
lekside - you sure do make  a lot of sense when you summarize your arguments.

C2H5OH:

EEME would have been the most perfect college major ever.

what's EEME?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 7:56am On Jun 08, 2009
Gaminechic:

@Ajanlekoko

Quite True,
but one is regarded highly because of the things they have done
and not what they intend to do.

I tend to put more stock in what people are currently doing, whatever they've done in the past notwithstanding.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by bawomolo(m): 10:17pm On Jun 11, 2009
I was thinking ElectroMechanical Engineering.

there are people who study mechatronics (if that's what you are trying to say). you should look into that.

MEMS is another interesting field too.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by C2H5OH(f): 11:29pm On Jun 11, 2009
funny enough I will be taking a course in mechatronics sometime this year.
Let's see if I'll enjoy it. Pure EE is boring to me.

A friend of mine told me MEMS is boring.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 11:33pm On Jun 11, 2009
C2H5OH:

Let's see if I'll enjoy it. Pure EE is boring to me.

pends on the individual
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by C2H5OH(f): 11:39pm On Jun 11, 2009
netotse:

pends on the individual
right right bruh bruh
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Gaminechic: 6:53pm On Jun 12, 2009
@Netotse

Have you found a school yet?
i doubt you would get anything specifically on power system planning.

check out Durham, a friend of mine is going for a power course there and is a really good school

@Ajanlekoko

yes sir.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by FiremanJr(m): 9:24am On Jun 13, 2009
S'up with software engineering. I was thinking of doing something to help myself and it sounded attractive to me, given the rate at which we are going digital. What d'ya all think?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 11:23am On Jun 15, 2009
Fireman Jr:

S'up with software engineering. I was thinking of doing something to help myself and it sounded attractive to me, given the rate at which we are going digital. What d'ya all think?

Everything already went digital, bro.
Software engineering, maybe not the fundamental principles, but at least the tools and techniques, are a fundamental part of every engineering discipline. At least, in markets where engineering is truly practised.
However, it's the same old C/C++, Java, VB, and dotnet that skills you need. Did a seminar topic during my postgrad on numerical machine-tool control, and I was surprised to find that most of the applications were based on Visual Basic. So make sure you are well grounded with the basics of these development tools and environment.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 2:05pm On Jun 15, 2009
@gaminechic
i've checked the durham website, didnt find anything really pertinent o. . .saw somefink on renewable energy but thats not what i'm after was thinking more along the lines of the US(a brit Msc is 1 year and most ppl think doing a 2year Msc is better) any advice?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by bawomolo(m): 6:44pm On Jun 15, 2009
C2H5OH:

Let's see if I'll enjoy it.  Pure EE is boring to me.

MEMS isn't boring.  very interesting stuff especially if you are allowed into a nano technology lab.

now mechatronics was boring to me. dropped that class sharp sharp  cheesy

netotse:

@gaminechic
i've checked the durham website, didnt find anything really pertinent o. . .saw somefink on renewable energy but thats not what i'm after was thinking more along the lines of the US(a brit Msc is 1 year and most ppl think doing a 2year Msc is better) any advice?

don't you go to school all-year round for a 1 year MSc while you have a summer break for a 2 year Msc?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lekside44(m): 3:37pm On Jun 16, 2009
Fireman Jr:

software engineering is the future of engineering. digital technology is here and the future of electronics/ mechatronics. you are on the right track. the future of engineering and design lies in simulation. very little proffessionals in this field still exist in this country and even in the world at large.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 12:15am On Jun 17, 2009
lekside44:

software engineering is the future of engineering. digital technology is here and the future of electronics/ mechatronics. you are on the right track. the future of engineering and design lies in simulation. very little proffessionals in this field still exist in this country and even in the world at large.

lekside, I'm curious. What do you do for a living?

No offence, really, but you sort of read like a science fiction scriptwriter. . .
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 3:02pm On Jun 17, 2009
bawomolo:

MEMS isn't boring.  very interesting stuff especially if you are allowed into a nano technology lab.

now mechatronics was boring to me. dropped that class sharp sharp  cheesy

don't you go to school all-year round for a 1 year MSc while you have a summer break for a 2 year Msc?

i dont know o. . .thats why i'm asking for advice o! i asked one of my lecturers doing his Ph.d in yankee and he was like yankee is better (it jst struck me, most of our professors hv british postgrads but they're all old). . .my own is that i want schools with appropriate courses o!(though i wont mind not having to read for GRE) i'm next to clueless o. . .i did a google search and most of the unis that came up were in australia and india(i dont think i'm liberated enough to go to any of those countries cry) ideas anyone?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by scarfaz007: 3:25pm On Jun 17, 2009
hi i dont have any say in this forum compared to the depth of experience and knowledge this member of the forum have.i need advice from forum member.i just graduated from electrical/electronic engineering with a 2.2.i did my ccna during my I.T IN 2007.I WANT TO START MY CCNP NOW.I AM PRESENTLY SERVING IN AKWA-IBOM.MY PRESENT focus is to do my master in Sweden in information technology.my career prospect is information technology and software engineering.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 3:51pm On Jun 17, 2009
scarfaz007:

hi i dont have any say in this forum compared to the depth of experience and knowledge this member of the forum have.i need advice from forum member.i just graduated from electrical/electronic engineering with a 2.2.i did my ccna during my I.T IN 2007.I WANT TO START MY CCNP NOW.I AM PRESENTLY SERVING IN AKWA-IBOM.MY PRESENT focus is to do my master in Sweden in information technology.my career prospect is information technology and software engineering.
u need advice on what?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Gaminechic: 5:34pm On Jun 17, 2009
@Netotse

LOL, your not liberated enough eh?
But im sure you'd have to go for something-energy, power engineering if not na Hong Kong and China .
A friend who is serving at one of the Dams, has ditched power and is going to
do communication at Warwick.

Dude wants to do CCNP now, so i think hes trying to say either that or the Masters. .

BTW: Remember this? cheesy

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by bawomolo(m): 8:54pm On Jun 17, 2009
my own is that i want schools with appropriate courses o!(though i wont mind not having to read for GRE) i'm next to clueless o. .

You should do the GRE to boost your application profile to the good schools. some don't require it but its still useful.

Why would you want to go to india when the indian students are fighting to come ova here? no go waste your money o.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 11:17am On Jun 18, 2009
bawomolo:

You should do the GRE to boost your application profile to the good schools. some don't require it but its still useful.

Why would you want to go to india when the indian students are fighting to come ova here? no go waste your money o.
a lot of the schools from the google search were indian o, plus when it comes to power the hv a lot of activity. . .dont know abt technology tho, thats why i was asking o. . .i want to be able to think er'thing through b4 the time comes cos too much is going to happen wrt power in naija for me to dull myself!

Gaminechic:

@Netotse

LOL, your not liberated enough eh?
But im sure you'd have to go for something-energy, power engineering if not na Hong Kong and China .
A friend who is serving at one of the Dams, has ditched power and is going to
do communication at Warwick.

Dude wants to do CCNP now, so i think hes trying to say either that or the Masters. .

BTW: Remember this? cheesy

u served in niger? yep. . .thats near girls hostel same one in the pic below (prolly the first one. . .cant rem the name but they're all named after local govt)i stayed in shiroro hostel and i'm at shiroro dam. . .how cool? altho during my time the grass wasnt overgrown(it wasnt even grown sef)

as per the guy going to warwick he's prolly in jebba or kainji right?no one here's planning on going to warwick(planning to go to jebba soon sef hv camp friends der)

hong kong or china ke?that one requires more than liberation o!

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by nearest(m): 11:44pm On Jun 18, 2009
I've just graduated and really don't have adequate infomation on how to become a registered engineer.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 3:21pm On Jun 19, 2009
nearest:

I've just graduated and really don't have adequate infomation on how to become a registered engineer.

i actually owe you thanks. . .if you hadnt asked i would never hv bothered to find out if COREN had a website(its actually very ugly) anyway sha this is the page wiv the requirements
http://www.corenng.org/registration/registration.htm

1 Like

Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Gaminechic: 3:29pm On Jun 19, 2009
@netotse

i swear i have never opened that site.lmao! and i wish to god i hadnt, two secs ago

Meanwhile, yeah my friend is in Jebba. Akin, say hi to him for me, if you get there.

Have you settled on a course yet?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by johnkunz84: 9:49am On Jun 23, 2009
i'm kunle afolabi by name, i've been reading mr ajanlekoko's texts for the past few days i want him to give me some tips to follow up in my field which is electrical engineering. i graduated last year with 2.2, with B.Tech in commication option. i'm currently serving with union bank in bayelsa state and my plan is to have an experience in banking first so that i can later apply for thier IT departmet in Lagos.

I want you to advise me on this and if you have any other better advice you can give i'll be glad to receive it thank you very much
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 4:07pm On Jun 23, 2009
johnkunz84:

i'm kunle afolabi by name, i've been reading mr ajanlekoko's texts for the past few days i want him to give me some tips to follow up in my field which is electrical engineering. i graduated last year with 2.2, with B.Tech in commication option. i'm currently serving with union bank in bayelsa state and my plan is to have an experience in banking first so that i can later apply for thier IT departmet in Lagos.

I want you to advise me on this and if you have any other better advice you can give i'll be glad to receive it thank you very much
Are you serving in the IT department?
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lekside44(m): 7:32pm On Jun 23, 2009
AjanleKoko:

lekside, I'm curious. What do you do for a living?

No offence, really, but you sort of read like a science fiction scriptwriter. . .
well, true. i want you to understand taht many of the gadgets that we have today are once fictions written about and acted in movies years and decades back. but now they are parts and parcels of our daily life. even the rockets and space travel to the moon we have today are once imaginatives to the people of the old. i tell you, tommorrows space travel does not lies on rocket engines as we know it today. their overall efficiency is very low. we have tech such as a laser propelled gyroscope. a model of it has been tested. if i have your mail, i may try my possible best to mail you a video clips on this. also anti matter (anti hydrogen/proton) could even do better. we also have electrons propelled rockets, e.t.c just to mention a few
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by jaybee3(m): 7:40pm On Jun 23, 2009
lekside44:

well, true. i want you to understand taht many of the gadgets that we have today are once fictions written about and acted in movies years and decades back. but now they are parts and parcels of our daily life. even the rockets and space travel to the moon we have today are once imaginatives to the people of the old. i tell you, tommorrows space travel does not lies on rocket engines as we know it today. their overall efficiency is very low. we have tech such as a laser propelled gyroscope. a model of it has been tested. if i have your mail, i may try my possible best to mail you a video clips on this. also anti matter (anti hydrogen/proton) could even do better. we also have electrons propelled rockets, e.t.c just to mention a few
They asked u a very simple question and you go about posting irrelevant gibberish again. na wa o.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by AjanleKoko: 7:46am On Jun 24, 2009
lekside44:

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

You're a dude with a lot of imagination, @lekside44.
No worries, I don't mind.
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by johnkunz84: 10:21am On Jun 24, 2009
i'm not in the IT department really but i been exposed to the use of retail banking a. k. a . flexcube banking, system admin and so little IT stuffs so it gave me the motive to apply for thier IT department in Lagos . thank you
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by lekside44(m): 6:41am On Jun 27, 2009
i need somebody who is versatile in active x technologies
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by Kaybaba5(m): 7:04pm On Jun 27, 2009
I graduated with hnd in electrical engineering.Power and machine option precisely  upper credit but am stil serving nw and i dont know wat to do cos my felow corpers ar doing NIM but am a little bit confused.My plan is if i shuld finish service i wil try to gather money and go for my PGD and after dat i can nw face job issues as in gettin a job.Or wat should i do and which profesional exams should i sit for.Thanks
Re: Electrical Engineering: Aspirants and Practitioners by netotse(m): 10:41am On Jun 29, 2009
@kaybaba
where are you serving?your statement about NIM is similar to whats happening here o!, you didnt tell us what ur interests where and expantiate on what you want outta EE(personally i think EE's shouldnt bother with NIM)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (35) (Reply)

The Ranks In The Nigerian Military: Army, Navy And Airforce. / About The ICAN/ATS Examinations / Ghanaian Nurse Who Twerked In Her Uniform Declared Wanted By Nurses Association

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.