Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,709 members, 7,802,145 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:48 AM

Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? (10718 Views)

Marry and Grow In Love Or Marry The Person You Love, Which One Is Better? / Which Is More Important In Marriage? Love Or Character / I Married Someone I Don't Trust. What's The Way Out? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by jnrbayano(m): 8:02pm On Jul 31, 2015
Love or Trust: What should come first in a relationship?

It's really confusing to understand what comes first between love and trust when referring to relationship matters. Everybody has got different opinion on this. Some say love comes first while others say trust comes first. But before going further, let us see what love is and what trust is.

Merrian Webster Dictionary defines love "as an attraction that includes sexual desire. It is the strong affection felt by people who have a romantic relationship." It can be deduced from the definition that Love is all about having a strong feeling of affection for somebody that you are sexually attracted to.

Trust is defined by the same dictionary as "an assured reliance on the character, ability, strength, or truth of someone or something." In fact, to trust someone or something is to have confidence in that person or thing.

The difference between these two words can be noted from their meaning:

~Love goes with feelings.

~Trust goes with belief.

So, here comes the question;

What should come first in relationship?

Have your say.
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by INTROVERT(f): 8:03pm On Jul 31, 2015
simultaneous equation
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by deadZONE: 8:07pm On Jul 31, 2015
sad
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jul 31, 2015
Hard to choose.. buh I feel its trust.
Trust is a very deep thing(like love too) and it takes a lot of work to achieve that with somebody. People today don't even know when they are in love or lust or obsessed!
You be in love with someone, u two can start a relationship... buh without trust, maintaining that love and relationship is almost impossible.

4 Likes

Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by 5minsmadness: 8:10pm On Jul 31, 2015
trust first.

Love, real love, comes with time.

3 Likes

Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by Peachess(f): 8:14pm On Jul 31, 2015
Trust first, I don't think I can love someone I don't trust…

4 Likes

Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by Godfullsam(m): 8:21pm On Jul 31, 2015
How can you love someone you don't trust?

When you trust somebody, you can start developing love/feelings for him/her.

Trust helps to build love.
Trust should come first in a relationship.

My opinion sha undecided!

2 Likes

Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by cococandy(f): 8:21pm On Jul 31, 2015
Love I think.

Trust usually comes with time. Actually both do come with time but with trust, you'd have spent quite a bit of your life with the person to know they most likely won't let you down. As in tried, tested and then trusted.

But with love, you could fall in love with someone even if you haven't spent a long time with them possibly because they have the characters you want in a partner.

2 Likes

Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by spicy244(f): 8:33pm On Jul 31, 2015
Love .

When u are in love with someone, (true love) u can always trust the person no matter wot. I am a living witness of that which I won't give details. But I know even there are many reasons to distrust that partner of urs, u will still find a reason to believe.

POWER OF LOVE
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by hahn(m): 8:42pm On Jul 31, 2015
5minsmadness:
trust first.

Love, real love, comes with time.

I agree. Love grows

1 Like

Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by Nobody: 8:58pm On Jul 31, 2015
lipsrsealed
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by Chubhie: 9:18pm On Jul 31, 2015
A woman that loves a man trusts him while a man that trusts a woman loves her.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by jnrbayano(m): 9:53am On Aug 01, 2015
cococandy:
Love I think.

Trust usually comes with time. Actually both do come with time but with trust, you'd have spent quite a bit of your life with the person to know they most likely won't let you down. As in tried, tested and then trusted.

But with love, you could fall in love with someone even if you haven't spent a long time with them possibly because they have the characters you want in a partner.

Have you considered the power of love to becloud the sense of judgement?

1 Like

Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by Nobody: 10:08am On Aug 01, 2015
Trust, of course. Love is non-existent.
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by cococandy(f): 10:13am On Aug 01, 2015
jnrbayano:

Have you considered the power of love to becloud the sense of judgement?
quite possible.

The things we do for love
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by jnrbayano(m): 10:19am On Aug 01, 2015
Timbuktou:
Trust, of course. Love is non-existent.

How is love non existent?
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by jnrbayano(m): 10:24am On Aug 01, 2015
cococandy:
quite possible.

The things we do for love

I have always reasoned that falling in love with someone who you are yet to trust (at the beginning stage of relationship) is akin to hanging that relationship in the balance.
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by jnrbayano(m): 10:25am On Aug 01, 2015
Chubhie:
A woman that loves a man trusts him while a man that trusts a woman loves her.

Can you explain
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by Nobody: 10:36am On Aug 01, 2015
jnrbayano:

How is love non existent?

Well, going by it's definition, love is unconditional. I think you'd agree with me that love in a relationship is anythong buy unconditional. Instead of love I'd use attraction/attachment.
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by jnrbayano(m): 10:36am On Aug 01, 2015
spicy244:
Love .

When u are in love with someone, (true love) u can always trust the person no matter wot. I am a living witness of that which I won't give details. But I know even there are many reasons to distrust that partner of urs, u will still find a reason to believe.

POWER OF LOVE

Love is magical. The power of love is a potent force that compensates for all human shortcomings. I agree.

But the question is which should come first?

I hope you realise that you trust someone on merit but love someone by choice?
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by jnrbayano(m): 10:44am On Aug 01, 2015
Timbuktou:

Well, going by it's definition, love is unconditional. I think you'd agree with me that love in a relationship is anythong buy unconditional. Instead of love I'd use attraction/attachment.

Attraction/attachment is embedded in love.

Love has other attributes.
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by oloyede252(m): 10:50am On Aug 01, 2015
in a relationship I think love should come first.because with love you can trust shekau sef and you can also trust someone without loving them.
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by Nobody: 10:51am On Aug 01, 2015
jnrbayano:

Attraction/attachment is embedded in love.

Love has other attributes.

If love is unconditional then it's not love, is it? You seem to not get my point.

Maybe I should ask. What is love?
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by jnrbayano(m): 12:26pm On Aug 01, 2015
oloyede252:
in a relationship I think love should come first.because with love you can trust shekau sef and you can also trust someone without loving them.

If you trust Shekau through loving him also get morticians ready.
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by jnrbayano(m): 12:27pm On Aug 01, 2015
Timbuktou:

If love is unconditional then it's not love, is it? You seem to not get my point.

Maybe I should ask. What is love?

Honestly I don't.

The definition of love is in the Op.
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by Nobody: 12:38pm On Aug 01, 2015
jnrbayano:

The definition of love is in the Op.

Oh, my bad. Didn't read the definitions you put up earlier. I was responding based on my own definition of the word.

Going by the OP, love would generally come first, because: attraction. Howevern trust could come first where there was no romantic attraction but some sort of relationship: work, neighbour, etc.
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by oloyede252(m): 12:39pm On Aug 01, 2015
jnrbayano:

If you trust Shekau through loving him also get morticians ready.
lolz.then if your getting mortician's ready it simply means you don't trust him which answers you question,if you can't trust your partner how then will you fully love him/her.

note;love is blind abi no be so
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by jnrbayano(m): 12:44pm On Aug 01, 2015
oloyede252:

lolz.then if your getting mortician's ready it simply means you don't trust him which answers you question,if you can't trust your partner how then will you fully love him/her.

note;love is blind abi no be so

I now understand. cheesy
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by oloyede252(m): 12:49pm On Aug 01, 2015
jnrbayano:

I now understand. cheesy
OK.so which do you considers first?
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by jnrbayano(m): 12:56pm On Aug 01, 2015
oloyede252:

OK.so which do you considers first?

Trust of course.

From my posts, it easy to tell.
Re: Love Or Trust: What Should Come First In A Relationship? by oloyede252(m): 12:57pm On Aug 01, 2015
jnrbayano:

Trust of course.
From my posts, it easy to tell.
OK.

(1) (2) (Reply)

"How I Have Lived Up To 126 Yrs Old" - Famous Nigerian Woman Shares Her Story / Why Women Of This Generation Are Not Submissive By Tosin Martins / Update On Wife’s Loose Vagina !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.