Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,823 members, 7,806,314 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 02:36 PM

See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade (22288 Views)

Why You Need To Upgrade To Windows 10 Before 29th July / Do I Really Need An Antivirus For Windows 8.1? / Help Needed On Windows 10 Upgrade (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by tunluvus: 2:08am On Aug 01, 2015
Windows 10 comes with new features that make it an attractive upgrade. Whether you're looking to try the new Start experience or if you just want to talk to your new assistant, Cortana, there are a few things you should do before you upgrade.

To ensure that your system can handle Windows 10, you should check the Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor. When you get a notification in your taskbar to reserve your free copy of Windows 10, you can click the hamburger menu on the top left, navigate to Check Your PC and run the Advisor to ensure that your hardware and software will work with the latest version of Windows.

Microsoft will run a check, and you'll get feedback on whether your installed software or hardware is compatible with Windows 10. Once you know how upgrade-ready your system is, here are a few things to do before you actually take the Windows 10 plunge:
Create a recovery disk or drive with your current OS
You have a full month to test drive Windows 10, and if you don't like it, Microsoft will let you go back to your original OS before you upgrade. But what if you found an issue in the second month?

At this point, the only way to downgrade is to use your own Windows recovery discs to reinstall your old version of Windows.

If you own a newer system that didn't come with a recovery disc, you'll want to create your own recovery media, either on a DVD or USB stick. Some manufacturers ship machines with special backup and recovery software that allows you to create your own backup of the Windows install. If your system doesn't have any special software, you can use the Recovery Tool that ships with Windows.

The recovery media that you create will contain the Windows installation files along with any special drivers and preloaded third-party software that shipped with your machine.
Back up your files
When you upgrade to Windows 10 from a system running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, you'll be presented with three options. You can keep everything, just your files or nothing at all and start fresh.

If you choose the first option, your files, settings and any installed apps will be kept and you'll migrate to Windows 10 with everything intact. The second option retains just your files, but any apps you installed or settings you may have tweaked will be removed.

Even though the process is seamless, you should back up any important files before the transition. You can choose to back up files by copying them to an external hard drive or USB flash drive, or you can upload them to the cloud.

If you're forced to start from scratch, you'll at least have your important files, photos and documents backed up.
Associate your Microsoft ID before you upgrade
Microsoft says that a Microsoft ID is not a requirement to upgrade to Windows 10, and I haven't heard of any issues resulting in botched Windows 10 upgrades as a result of not having having a Microsoft ID associated with your current version of Windows.

However, I did encounter issues on a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Third Generation that Microsoft sent with Windows 10 preloaded with no associated Microsoft ID. When I tried the upgrade process again with a Microsoft ID, I had no issues at all with Windows 10.

To associate your Microsoft ID to your PC, you'll need to swipe in from the right edge of the screen if you're on Windows 8 or 8.1 and tap on Settings. You'll want to go to tap on Change My PC Settings, click Accounts and select Your Accounts. From there, you can either associate an existing Microsoft ID or create a new one.

Having an associated Microsoft ID is also beneficial if you're upgrading machines. When you buy a new PC and sign in, your desktop and settings can automatically synchronize from your old system to your new one when you're connected to the internet
Software compatibility
If you chose to upgrade and retain all your files, settings and apps, most of the programs that you had installed on Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 will run fine on Windows 10, but there will be some exceptions.

In my case, I found that Office 2013 Professional, Adobe Creative Suite 6 and a few other titles ran just as smoothly as they did prior to the upgrade.

Should you encounter issues, sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling may fix compatibility issues. If you do this, you'll want to make sure you have your license keys available to reinstall your software. If this doesn't work, you may have to reach out to your software's creators to see if an update is ready for Windows 10 compatibility.

Additionally, you may need to reinstall drivers or upgrade existing drivers for compatibility. Windows 10 runs a compatibility scan during the upgrade process, and it will warn you if there are any conflicts.

If you have driver issues, you can visit your computer manufacturer's website and navigate to the support page. Usually, downloadable files for divers are found there.

Be secure about Windows
If your system comes with a compatible Intel RealSense 3D camera or a fingerprint scanner, you can gain security and convenience with Windows Hello.

see more: http://naijatroller.com/ways-to-prepare-for-windows-10-upgrade/

c.c lalasticlala
c.c ishiluv

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by ojkalito(m): 2:34am On Aug 01, 2015
following i happen 2 comment first on d 1st of August for d first time...no coincidence,sign dat this month will be a good month..Happy new month everyone..d blessings dis month bears shall locate u all..Shalom

3 Likes

Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Adeyinka12(m): 2:51am On Aug 01, 2015
Good. I hope it doesn't lost any driver after upgrading
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Luyeanka(f): 3:07am On Aug 01, 2015
Total time involved?
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by psychologist(m): 8:22am On Aug 01, 2015
We've been jumping from window to window, when exactly are we gonna pass Tru the door....All this oyibo phiful self

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Dottore: 8:22am On Aug 01, 2015
hope its not crap like win 8

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Thorby(m): 8:22am On Aug 01, 2015
I hope it won't cause cursor to disappear?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Nobody: 8:23am On Aug 01, 2015
At last!

This windows 1go make sense gan!
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Nobody: 8:24am On Aug 01, 2015
#teamandroid

My signature is important Just a click will convince u
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Nobody: 8:25am On Aug 01, 2015
Funny cuz we were talking about this at work yesterday.
Can wait to share this with the boys.
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Goldenheart(m): 8:25am On Aug 01, 2015
Ok
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by sniperwolf(m): 8:26am On Aug 01, 2015
Can't wait to see how Microsoft will revive the dying OS
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Adebayocollins6: 8:26am On Aug 01, 2015
Clean london used z10 for sale @ a grab price of #10,000naira only. Interested buyer can call seller on 08024712145

Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by Youpele52: 8:26am On Aug 01, 2015
Q
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by WhatDoYouMean: 8:28am On Aug 01, 2015
OK. Happy new month
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by femi4: 8:29am On Aug 01, 2015
Win7 anytime

1 Like

Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by lomprico(m): 8:29am On Aug 01, 2015
tunluvus:
Windows 10 comes with new features that make it an attractive upgrade. Whether you're looking to try the new Start experience or if you just want to talk to your new assistant, Cortana, there are a few things you should do before you upgrade.

To ensure that your system can handle Windows 10, you should check the Windows 10 Upgrade Advisor. When you get a notification in your taskbar to reserve your free copy of Windows 10, you can click the hamburger menu on the top left, navigate to Check Your PC and run the Advisor to ensure that your hardware and software will work with the latest version of Windows.

Microsoft will run a check, and you'll get feedback on whether your installed software or hardware is compatible with Windows 10. Once you know how upgrade-ready your system is, here are a few things to do before you actually take the Windows 10 plunge:
Create a recovery disk or drive witur current OS
You have a full month to test drive Windows 10, and if you don't like it, Microsoft will let you go back to your original OS before you upgrade. But what if you found an issue in the second month?

At this point, the only way to downgrade is to use your own Windows recovery discs to reinstall your old version of Windows.

If you own a newer system that didn't come with a recovery disc, you'll want to create your own recovery media, either on a DVD or USB stick. Some manufacturers ship machines with special backup and recovery software that allows you to create your own backup of the Windows install. If your system doesn't have any special software, you can use the Recovery Tool that ships with Windows.

The recovery media that you create will contain the Windows installation files along with any special drivers and preloaded third-party software that shipped with your machine.
Back up your files
When you upgrade to Windows 10 from a system running Windows 7, 8 or 8.1, you'll be presented with three options. You can keep everything, just your files or nothing at all and start fresh.

If you choose the first option, your files, settings and any installed apps will be kept and you'll migrate to Windows 10 with everything intact. The second option retains just your files, but any apps you installed or settings you may have tweaked will be removed.

Even though the process is seamless, you should back up any important files before the transition. You can choose to back up files by copying them to an external hard drive or USB flash drive, or you can upload them to the cloud.

If you're forced to start from scratch, you'll at least have your important files, photos and documents backed up.
Associate your Microsoft ID before you upgrade
Microsoft says that a Microsoft ID is not a requirement to upgrade to Windows 10, and I haven't heard of any issues resulting in botched Windows 10 upgrades as a result of not having having a Microsoft ID associated with your current version of Windows.

However, I did encounter issues on a Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon Third Generation that Microsoft sent with Windows 10 preloaded with no associated Microsoft ID. When I tried the upgrade process again with a Microsoft ID, I had no issues at all with Windows 10.

To associate your Microsoft ID to your PC, you'll need to swipe in from the right edge of the screen if you're on Windows 8 or 8.1 and tap on Settings. You'll want to go to tap on Change My PC Settings, click Accounts and select Your Accounts. From there, you can either associate an existing Microsoft ID or create a new one.

Having an associated Microsoft ID is also beneficial if you're upgrading machines. When you buy a new PC and sign in, your desktop and settings can automatically synchronize from your old system to your new one when you're connected to the internet
Software compatibility
If you chose to upgrade and retain all your files, settings and apps, most of the programs that you had installed on Windows 7, 8 or 8.1 will run fine on Windows 10, but there will be some exceptions.

In my case, I found that Office 2013 Professional, Adobe Creative Suite 6 and a few other titles ran just as smoothly as they did prior to the upgrade.

Should you encounter issues, sometimes uninstalling and reinstalling may fix compatibility issues. If you do this, you'll want to make sure you have your license keys available to reinstall your software. If this doesn't work, you may have to reach out to your software's creators to see if an update is ready for Windows 10 compatibility.

Additionally, you may need to reinstall drivers or upgrade existing drivers for compatibility. Windows 10 runs a compatibility scan during the upgrade process, and it will warn you if there are any conflicts.

If you have driver issues, you can visit your computer manufacturer's website and navigate to the support page. Usually, downloadable files for divers are found there.

Be secure about Windows
If your system comes with a compatible Intel RealSense 3D camera or a fingerprint scanner, you can gain security and convenience with Windows Hello.

see more: http://naijatroller.com/ways-to-prepare-for-windows-10-upgrade/

c.c lalasticlala
c.c ishiluv
What of if ur current version of windows is the non licenced one, that is a non genuine windows, will the upgrade be possible?

1 Like

Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by psychologist(m): 8:35am On Aug 01, 2015
lomprico:

What of if ur current version of windows is the non licenced one, that is a non genuine windows, will the upgrade be possible?
seconed
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by omojeesu(m): 8:37am On Aug 01, 2015
The earliest users will be guinea pigs!
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by chamboy(m): 8:37am On Aug 01, 2015
after have used it for weeks

1 Like

Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by chamboy(m): 8:38am On Aug 01, 2015
Adeyinka12:
nothing and make sure, u have internet while installing

1 Like

Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 8:38am On Aug 01, 2015
Adeyinka12:
Possibly your graphic driver. You might need to re-install the one you were using before the upgrade.

1 Like

Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by chamboy(m): 8:39am On Aug 01, 2015
sniperwolf:
Can't wait to see how Microsoft will revive the dying OS
do u have a PC... wat os is on it

2 Likes

Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by omusiliyu(m): 8:39am On Aug 01, 2015
Gf
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by baloney: 8:39am On Aug 01, 2015
check out dis link on windows 10 upgrade: U want d the best from windows 10 check out it package. Most important criteria for installation From below link... http://youtube.com/watch? v=hxNw_aVn4qM
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by chamboy(m): 8:39am On Aug 01, 2015
dmcdad:

Possibly your graphic driver. You might need to re-install the on you were using before the upgrade.
if u have good internet while updating u dont need to reinstall shit
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 8:39am On Aug 01, 2015
chamboy:
after have used it for weeks
That was the preview version which was still laden with bugs and all, especially the start menu bug. The released version is smoother.
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by PulseWeb: 8:40am On Aug 01, 2015
i upgrade from win 8 to 8.1 in 2days and the differece is not much, am downloading WINDOWS 10 I CANT WAIT TO INSTALL IT

1 Like

Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 8:41am On Aug 01, 2015
chamboy:
if u have good internet while updating u dont need to reinstall shit
Calm down bro! The graphics driver gets updated, but not with a better one per se. The graphics card needed re-installation to get the HD feeling back.

Besides, a lot of people have noticed that a driver or 2 gets updated and fro what I read from people, to something less of what they were getting in the first place. Especially graphics. That was why I said a re-installation of the old one would suffice.

Happened to me too. But then, the pre-released version wasn't like that. The pre-released version had the existing drivers intact.
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by dmcdad: 8:45am On Aug 01, 2015
PulseWeb:
i upgrade from win 8 to 8.1 in 2days and the difference is not much, am downloading WINDOWS 10 I CANT WAIT TO INSTALL IT
Surely it has a different feel kinda. Your start menu is back, and the general working of the OS feels great. Overall its sleek and cool. Although i was using the preview version prior to the release, but rolled back a day before (to Windows 8.1) then upgraded the release day (29th of July).
Re: See Ways To Prepare For Windows 10 Upgrade by baloney: 8:47am On Aug 01, 2015

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Laptop Type And Specs Would Be Suitable For This Purpose? / Unlock Codes For Mtn Fastlink Needed / My Experience With Facebook Hacker (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.