Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,365 members, 7,800,732 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 04:26 AM

To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday (47470 Views)

"To Your Tents Oh Nigerians!" ~ Book Of APC 1:1-12 / Boko Haram And Jonathan: The Truth Unfolds - Thisday / At Last, President Buhari’s Cabinet List Out Wednesday - ThisDay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by sunnyb0b0(m): 4:59am On Aug 01, 2015
President Muhammadu Buhari is a very frank man. And frankly he appears to be telling Nigerians to their face that he can afford to alienate a significant portion of his constituency and still leave a legacy that is truly rational and national.This could prove to be a gross error of judgement and ill-advised.

The actions and utterances of Mr. President are all pointing to the fact that the sections of the country that did not vote for the All Progressives Congress (APC) are in for a barren 4 years and possibly beyond. The speculations were rife on it for quite long before the President proved the pundits right by stating that much in faraway USA.

For whoever missed the rather ill-starred statement, when President Buhari was asked by a white journalist how he intended to deal with issues in the Niger Delta, particularly Amnesty, bunkering and inclusive development; he said: “Going by election results), constituencies that gave me 97% cannot in all honesty be treated, on some issues, with constituencies that gave me 5%. I think these are political realities. While, certainly there will be justice for everybody but the people who voted, and made their votes count, they must feel the government has appreciated the effort they put in putting the government in place. I think this is really fair.”  If there is anything that should have been left unsaid about governance in a pluralistic environment, even if it were the policy, it is this one. 

Those who claim the President was stating the obvious or shunning people angling to reap where they did not so, argue amiss. In Presidential and constitutional democracy as Nigeria claims to be practicing, the whole country is the President’s Constituency; and once he or she emerges, the President leads the entire country and leads for the good on the entire country. Some of the people conveniently gloss over this reality to make the matter worse.

Besides, is he going to take only 5% of Nigeria Delta resources to run the country?
Come to think of it, in the 2015 Presidential election, the number of registered voters was 70,383,427. This means that having won with 15 million votes,  less than 20% of the registered voters actually wanted Buhari to be President and over 12 million wanted Jonathan to return, while over 140 million Nigerians never voted at all, probably for lack of interest, age limit, and other forms of technical disenfranchisements, including INEC’s refusal to make permanent voters card available. So, only clusters of 15 million Nigerians will now decide the thrust of national development, which the President has inadvertently admitted in foreign land that it would be based on patronage, despite the fact that less than 3 million Nigerian voters separated him from the former President in a country believed to be over 170 million.

Starting with the appointment of service chiefs, which should be the most apolitical, the South East may have been deliberately sidestepped also, and it is about the only Zone that is not represented in the National Council of State. President Muhammadu Buhari appointed new service chiefs: Major-General Abayomi Gabriel Olonishakin as Chief of Defence Staff; Major-General T.Y. Buratai as Chief of Army Staff; Rear Admiral Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas as Chief of Naval Staff. Others include Air Vice Marshal Sadique Abubakar as Chief of Air Staff; Air Vice Marshal Monday Riku Morgan as Chief of Defence Intelligence. The president also appointed Major-General Babagana Monguno (rtd.) as the new National Security Adviser taking over from Sambo Dasuki who was out of office a week before.

The names of the other categories of appointees are: Director-General of the Department State Services, Lawal Daura, Katsina State; Acting Chairman, the Independent National Electoral Commission, Mrs. Amina Bala Zakari, Jigawa State; Director, the Department of Petroleum Resources, Mr. Mordecai Danteni Baba Ladan (North); Accountant-General of the Federation, Alhaji Ahmed Idris, Kano State; Chief Security Officer, Abdulrahman Mani; (North); State Chief of Protocol, Mallam Lawal Abdullahi Kazaure (North); Aide De Camp, Lt.-Col. Muhammed Lawal Abubakar, Kano State; Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Mallam Garba Shehu; (North); Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Mr. Femi Adesina, South-West.

As many thought that one slot had at least reached the South East, another ‘good’ reason was once more found within 72 hours why Callistus Nwabueze Obi, earlier appointed as the Acting Director General/Chief Executive Officer of the Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), should hand over to Haruna Baba Jauro (North). Although the Acting Director General is expected to be in charge until a substantive Director General is appointed, it appears that the policy being interrogated precludes a South Easterner from acting so that the caterpillar won’t grow into a butterfly. Hmmm.

The two other latest appointments, expectedly, have maintained this policy of exclusion. President Buhari appointed Abdullahi Muhammadu as the new Commandant-General of the Nigerian Security and Civil Defence Corps barely a week ago, to take over from the former Commandant-General, Ade Abolurin, who retired after two-term tenure.  
The APC did not even put the South East in the remotest equation in the distribution of principal officers in the House of Representatives where there are two APC Members from Imo State. Protest by the two Reps did not even move the APC to at least concede Deputy Whip to the South East in the House of Reps fell on deaf ears.

Therefore, while the APC have only allocated Boko Haram to the South East, the only position that has come to the South East so far, actually came courtesy of the PDP Senators and some patriotic APC Senators who considered and elected Senator Ike Ekweremadu as Deputy Senate President. Even at that, they have deployed all forms of intimidation and mudslinging in a futile attempt to run him out of office. They claim the position belongs to the APC, but the same APC was frank enough to defend Section 50 of the Constitution when Tambuwal defected to its fold with PDP’s speakership mandate.

The position of the Constitution is that any lawmaker can emerge Speaker or Senate President or their Deputy. Ironically, APC are Speakers in Plateau and Benue where PDP are majority in the Houses of Assembly. The question will always remain, why is it right to APC in Tambuwal’s case and in Benue and Plateau, while it is now termed as “greed”, “coup”, and “abomination” in the case of Ekweremadu? The answer is simple: he comes from one of the zones that gave the President the proverbial “5% votes”.   This is certainly not how to belong to nobody and belong to everybody

So also, unlike what mostly obtained under Presidents Olusegun Obasanjo, Umaru Musa Yar’Adua and Goodluck Jonathan, where development of nation Nigeria was based on equity and justice, APC Federal Government is going strictly on political patronage or selective justice as is the emerging trend in present dispensation. APC and Buhari should be driven by patriotic mindset carefully aimed at enthroning social justice and even development. 

In building a nation, the leader rises above sentiments and divisive policies. In the US for example, President Barack Obama appointed Chuck Hagel, an erstwhile Republican Senator and opposition Party topnotch as the US Secretary of Defence. In 1864, when the US was divided by civil war, President Abraham sacrificed a fellow Republican and his first term Vice President, Hannibal Hamlin to pick Andrew Johnson of the Democratic Party from the South to demonstrate that the country’s unity far outweighs every other consideration.

In a democratic dispensation too, efforts are made by winners to woo those who may not have supported them, in view of the next election. The continued marginalization of the South East Government is only confirming the fear of many people from the Zone that there is nothing for them in the All Progressives Congress (APC) Government. The South East has been told in unmistakable terms that it has no share in the APC government. This policy, if sustained, can only reinforce a sense of alienation and  belief that their political future is only guaranteed in the PDP.

Postscript: “When all Israel saw that the king would not hearken unto them, the people answered the king, saying, what portion have we in David? And what inheritance have we in the son of Jesse: every man to your tents, O Israel”. 

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/to-your-tents-o-south-east-/216198/?utm_medium=twitter

151 Likes 23 Shares

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by PentiumPro(f): 5:05am On Aug 01, 2015
Biafra

155 Likes 15 Shares

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by sentaljohn(m): 5:06am On Aug 01, 2015
common! let's give this man a chance na.......there are laws and constitution guiding all the processes.. PMB knows what he's doing.. there r still lotta appointments...its just that the majority of the people he trust at this moment are the people around him( his immediate environment which are the APC loyalist ). and as it stands now, 90 percent of northerners support APC...the appointments will still reach every section of the country. he'll give people from other regions responsibilities once he know they are loyal and I believe he tried choosing majority from these regions as his proposed ministers which were later screened out. hundreds of appointments r still yet to be made.. I think he's just taking his time to get people who won't betray him and deliver well also.......we are one!!

71 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by Nobody: 5:10am On Aug 01, 2015
But PMB needs 100% of the crude oil in the SS, even though 5% of the SS voted for him.
Crooks . .

244 Likes 17 Shares

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by sunnyb0b0(m): 5:18am On Aug 01, 2015
sentaljohn:
common! let's give this man a chance na.......there are laws and constitution guiding all the processes.. PMB knows what he's doing.. there r still lotta appointments...its just that the majority of the people he trust are the people around him( his immediate environment which are the APC loyalist ). and as it stands now, 90 percent of northerners support APC... I think he's just taking his time to get people who won't betray him and deliver well also.......we are one!!

Listen to yourself.

213 Likes 12 Shares

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by sagitarius(m): 5:23am On Aug 01, 2015
Hmmm
Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by nnachukz(m): 5:24am On Aug 01, 2015
I like history, it mostly repeats itself. Certain portion of the north didn't vote for Jonathan in 2011 and went to the street in protest when he won but he appointed their men into key positions. Now APC is displaying another type of politics to the happiness of their praise singers without considering the future effect of their actions.

262 Likes 26 Shares

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by mikeywise(m): 5:27am On Aug 01, 2015
sunnyb0b0:

Listen to yourself.

No, you should listen to him.

34 Likes

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by White007(m): 5:39am On Aug 01, 2015
That is what happened when you go back to our painful past to pick a crass illiterate who constantly forgets the name of his political party, forgets the name of his vice and who really has no business of governing in the first place to head a nation of 170million. This is exactly what you get - cluelessness.

169 Likes 15 Shares

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by feldido(m): 5:43am On Aug 01, 2015
He's just giving the Ibo's a reason to revolt.

77 Likes 7 Shares

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by Nobody: 5:43am On Aug 01, 2015
At first, your cries made nigerians feel irritated, but not anymore. You spite the north claiming their region is less developed even after producing more presidents and holding more positions. You indicate that as a reason why you do not need political appointments. But when you see that the government of Nigeria has made good your word, you turn around and cry like babies. You guys are like a little boy who can take a piss without splashing some on himself.

90 Likes 3 Shares

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by KinkyAngela(f): 5:49am On Aug 01, 2015
Are these folks not tired of cying?
PMB hasnt even made up to 1% of appointment but these perpetual whiners are already crying and throwing tantrums like a dispossesed nanny-goat.

94 Likes 2 Shares

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by omenka(m): 5:50am On Aug 01, 2015
Same old shiiit, just a different day.

He doesn't appoint they go - ahhh, he's tribalistic.

He does appoint, the go - ahhh, he thinks he can placate the SE with his useless appointments.

There is just one factor here which remains a sticking point in these guys' minds- a Northerner being the President- simple. Absolutely nothing they wouldn't grumble about. Even before a single appointment was made they had already started wailing.

And to those ethnic bigots that keep mentioning my moniker in useless threads trying to squeeze comments out of me with their "he's an ab¤ki hiding under an igbo moniker", let me do this once and for all with the hope it cures your malaria.

Omenka is my name. I'm am not and have never pretended to be igbo. If igbos happen to share some names in common with my tribe, that is their fvcking business not mine. My dad's from the Middle belt, my mom South South, my step grand dad South East, meaning I have numerous uncles, aunts and cousins from the SE. I don't even as much as have a friend who's Hausa, Fulani or a Muslim.

Had to say this because all those tantrums of yours are becoming really irritating.

If you think I'm going to support a politician simply for reason of their ethnic background, you got another thing coming. And if you think your blackmails can stop me from supporting President Mohamadu Buhari (GCFR), then you are more foolish than I imagined.

I am not going to respond to idiotic quotes, responses or mentions from anyone.

Good morning.

141 Likes 13 Shares

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by Nobody: 5:54am On Aug 01, 2015
Abeg all this wialing wailos should leave Baba BuBu alone. There re still Ministerial position to fill, DGs and ESs of government MDAPs to fill. So abeg make una rest una case for now.

Wailing wailos

17 Likes

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by Isaacmacdon(m): 5:55am On Aug 01, 2015
One thing pple fail to understand z dat God controls humans... does of ye saying biafra dis biafra dat.. m sorry cos u aint getting anything... ye al are shouting biafra from d comfort of ur bedroom . come out nd protest na.. fear wont allow u... lets leave all of d division thingy nd work towards personal nd collective growth.. Nigeria my country my nation.. ♥♥ proudly nigerian..

17 Likes

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by KinkyAngela(f): 5:56am On Aug 01, 2015
quid:
But PMB needs 100% of the crude oil in the SS, even though 5% of the SS voted for him.
Crooks . .
why must you always drag the SS into your show of shame? The article is meant for the SE and not the SS.

Few days ago, Tompolo sent an appreciation letter to PMB, thanking him for appointing Brigadier Boroh, an Ijaw man as the new DG of the Amnesty Programme. The new Chief of Naval Staff is also from the SS.

So far, the SS arent complaining. You perpetual wailers are the one crying

93 Likes 3 Shares

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by agabusta: 5:57am On Aug 01, 2015
eighTHREAD:
At first, your cries made nigerians feel irritated, but not anymore. You spite the north claiming their region is less developed even after producing more presidents and holding more positions. You indicate that as a reason why you do not need political appointments. But when you see that the government of Nigeria has made good your word, you turn around and cry like babies. You guys are like a little boy who can take a piss without splashing some on himself.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by Nobody: 5:59am On Aug 01, 2015
omenka:

He does appoint, the go - ahhh, he thinks he can placate the SE with his useless appointments.

There is just one factor here which remains a sticking point in these guys' minds- a Northerner being the President- simple. Absolutely nothing they wouldn't grumble about. Even before a single appointment was made they had already started wailing.

And to those ethnic bigots that keep mentioning my moniker in useless threads trying to squeeze comments out of me with their "he's an ab¤ki hiding under an igbo moniker", let me do this once and for all with the hope it cures your malaria.

Omenka is my name. I'm am not and have never pretended to be igbo. If igbos happen to share some names in common with my tribe, that is their fvcking business not mine. My dad's from the Middle belt, my mom South South, my step grand dad South East, meaning I have numerous uncles, aunts and cousins from the SE. I don't even as much as have a friend who's Hausa, Fulani or a Muslim.

Had to say this because all those tantrums of yours are becoming really irritating.

If you think I'm going to support a politician simply for reason of their ethnic background, you got another thing coming. And if you think your blackmails can stop me from supporting President Mohamadu Buhari (GCFR), then you are more foolish than I imagined.

I am not going to respond from idiotic quotes, responses or mentions from anyone.

Good morning.

Tell them. Yeeeeegbos kawai cry cry

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by saintneo(m): 5:59am On Aug 01, 2015
As well as their resources and taxes! Can Buhari run Nigeria with the resources of his 97%?

Upcoming futbol matches: Community Shield - Arsenal vs Chelsea, Olympic Qualifier - Congo vs Nigeria and Oriental Derby - Enyimba vs Rangers

6 Likes

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by sentaljohn(m): 6:08am On Aug 01, 2015
omenka:

I am not going to respond from idiotic quotes, responses or mentions from anyone.

Good morning.

thank you for that..
Elections is a form of enslavement. Too many
poor people vote, they don’t vote with their head, they vote
with their stomach. Too many illiterates vote, they don’t
vote for the best person, they vote for their tribe.

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by jomoh: 6:14am On Aug 01, 2015
So at a crucial time when the man needs trusted hands on the rescue mission to save the country from the dungeon it was thrown into by PDP presently dominated by SS and SE, his sworn enemies, you expect him to still select from such region.

No. Even if he had the intention of doing so, It is not possible for the time being especially not with the quick, treacherous
events that unfolded in the senate.

Only an unwise individual will still go ahead and select people from a zone where he is not popular at a time he needs trusted hands. Even an ordinary civilian will be forced to back track and thread carefully let alone a retired soldier. It takes time to earn their trust and when you do, they repay your trust.

The actions of the sacked NIMASA DG as per Maritime security contracts and that of Emefiele(CBN Gov.) in US is still fresh in mind which has gone a long way in fuelling the flame of mistrust rather than douse it.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by KinkyAngela(f): 6:15am On Aug 01, 2015
These are the same people crying about Biafra.
They want to break away from the country yet they are demanding for political appointments in the same country they want to break away from.
Bunch of confused souls

49 Likes

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by dunkem21(m): 6:16am On Aug 01, 2015
KinkyAngela:
why must you always drag the SS into your show of shame? The article is meant for the SE and not the SS.

Few days ago, Tompolo sent an appreciation letter to PMB, thanking him for appointing Brigadier Boroh, an Ijaw man as the new DG of the Amnesty Programme. The new Chief of Naval Staff is also from the SS.

Sowie dear.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by dunkem21(m): 6:18am On Aug 01, 2015
KinkyAngela:
These are the same people crying about Biafra.
They want to break away from the country yet they are demanding for political appointments in the same country they want to break away from. Bunch of confused souls

OK.

32 Likes

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by omenka(m): 6:19am On Aug 01, 2015
KinkyAngela:

Exactly what I keep asking- why always drag the SE into their bullshiit?? The SE is the SE and the SS is SS, and last time I checked, NO ONE from the SS but that fatso called Asari, has paid these useless rants any attention. Their very own son was the one who even lost that election yet the igbos are wailing the most.

Smh.

45 Likes

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by fr3do(m): 6:19am On Aug 01, 2015
Isaacmacdon:
One thing pple fail to understand z dat God controls humans... does of ye saying biafra dis biafra dat.. m sorry cos u aint getting anything... ye al are shouting biafra from d comfort of ur bedroom . come out nd protest na.. fear wont allow u... lets leave all of d division thingy nd work towards personal nd collective growth.. Nigeria my country my nation.. ♥♥ proudly nigerian..

Biafra my beloved proposed country
A country where we will have every reason to be patriotic not just dogmatically as one-nigerianist do Nigeria.

28 Likes

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by fr3do(m): 6:21am On Aug 01, 2015
omenka:
Exactly what I keep asking- why always drag the SE into their bullshiit?? The SE is the SE and the SS is SS, and last time I checked, NO ONE from the SS but that fatso called Asari, has paid these useless rants any attention. Their very own son was the one who even lost that election yet the igbos are wailing the most.

Smh.
Speak for yourself, you dont even speak for your tribe

29 Likes

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by KinkyAngela(f): 6:22am On Aug 01, 2015
dunkem21:

I looked at your profile pic and have no option but to call you a dumb ass.

Mumu.
The unfortunate woman that bore you and the miserable man that sired you are both dumb ass'

29 Likes

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by Opinedecandid(m): 6:23am On Aug 01, 2015
All of you pundits above me that must defend anything Muhamadu Buhari so you thing it was reasonable, presidential and uncorrupt of him to say

“Going by election results), constituencies that gave me 97% cannot in all honesty be treated, on some issues, with constituencies that gave me 5%. I think these are political realities. While, certainly there will be justice for everybody but the people who voted, and made their votes count, they must feel the government has appreciated the effort they put in putting the government in place. I think this is really fair,”
I dare to robe you in, your reasoning is as 'good' as his.
We shall know.

Time will tell.

14 Likes

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by dunkem21(m): 6:25am On Aug 01, 2015
KinkyAngela:
The unfortunate woman that bore you and the miserable man that sired you are both dumb ass'

36 Likes 2 Shares

Re: To Your Tents O South East? - Thisday by Segadem(m): 6:27am On Aug 01, 2015
So these people also expect change? How can u expect change when u refused to vote for change?
Have u tired of your transformation?
Thank God I didn't mention names or tribes grin

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

PDP Pulls Massive Crowd On A 3x Bigger Venue Than The APC Campaign Rally Venue / 'Text' Received By Senators To Accompany Saraki To Corruption Trial - Sahara R. / LEAKED: Letters From APC To Senate President Saraki, Speaker Dogara

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.