Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,712 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:51 PM

7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. (78782 Views)

Benue Teacher Asked To Pay 1.5 Million Naira As Bride Price (Photo) / Man Insists On Paying Extra Bride Price After Seeing His Wife In This Dress / 2016 Bride Price In Umuahia, Abia State (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 8:39pm On Aug 01, 2015
If i ever get marrid i wud double d bride price and return it even d name bride price is like sellin d lady off dats why most women are maltreated in their homes cos they were bought infact i aint collecting bride price to start wiv am happy the yorubas usually return theirs

Am proud of my tribe aint throwing shade at the oda lights of tribe biko o na beg ni o

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by emperorchedda(m): 9:03pm On Aug 01, 2015
More reason I detest Nigerian girls

Igbo parents don't joke with bride price except you wanna have problems with them

Our tradition is totally messed up and needs to be dropped totally, let's just do what's right and fvck tradition
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Toks2008(m): 9:08pm On Aug 01, 2015
halfrica:
If i ever get marrid i wud double d bride price and return it even d name bride price is like sellin d lady off dats why most women are maltreated in their homes cos they were bought infact i aint collecting bride price to start wiv am happy the yorubas usually return theirs

Am proud of my tribe aint throwing shade at the oda lights of tribe biko o na beg ni o

Wise words but that part of doubling your bride price tho
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by emperorchedda(m): 9:10pm On Aug 01, 2015
halfrica:

Bless you sister.

No to slavery
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 01, 2015
emperorchedda:

Bless you sister.

No to slavery
grin cant sell my dignity and self worth
Bless u too uncle chedda
It is nice blessing u sha wiv my elderly body grin
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by emperorchedda(m): 9:14pm On Aug 01, 2015
halfrica:

grin cant sell my dignity and self worth
Bless u too uncle chedda
It is nice blessing u sha wiv my elderly body grin

Old wine tastes better you know wink
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 9:15pm On Aug 01, 2015
Toks2008:

Wise words but that part of doubling your bride price tho
Dats shd incase family want to prove tradition
Criosly tradition to me is nothing its just wat some bunch of people decide to start doin cos it suit watever dey were doin and later started imposin on others i do my fins my own way i break tradition rules to make me happy grin
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by bilulu(m): 9:15pm On Aug 01, 2015
Toks2008:
In many Countries, the issue of Bride price has been known to be a well grounded factor in determining your franchise over the lady.

In some parts of the world, this issue has been blown beyond proportion that huge money is usually asked by the Bride's parent and many suitors see this as very discouraging.

The amazing fact is that if you ask anyone why a bride price must be paid,they will be very quick to answer that GOD commanded it and even our pastors are quick to lay emphasis on this as a condition that must be met before a man and woman can be said to be married before GOD.

But is Bride price really a condition necessary for marriage? Can we say you are really married even if bride price have not been paid? Did GOD specifically lay down this as a law or was it man made tradition? Can Bride price be paid at anytime during the course of the couple living together as Man and wife? and is it proper for the bride's parents to present a list or ask for monetary bride price from the groom's family?

These shocking truths from the very Bible people use as yardstick for bride price will clear the air.

1. Bride price was never a commandment from GOD as a condition for marriage but only as a penalty for rape and in fact, you can still pay the Bride price and still be denied the woman to be your wife by the Father.

Lets read this from the book of exodus 22:16-17:
"If a man seduces a virgin who is not pledged to be married and sleeps with her, he must pay the bride-price, and she shall be his wife.If her father absolutely refuses to give her to him, he must still pay the bride-price for virgins."

Deuteronomy 22:28-29: "If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, he shall pay her father fifty shekels[a] of silver. He must marry the young woman,for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

2.Monetary bride is to be paid only on a virgin provided the man has slept with her before he decides to marry her but if the man has never slept with her,there should be no need to pay a dime on her.(Read again Exodus 22:16-17 above)

3.Even if a man meets a virgin and defiles her and decides to marry her,no man is expected to pay more than 50shekels of silver as a penalty and according to Google research, 50 shekels of silver is just about 15usd today so what is this madness going on where in some places a man is asked to pay hundreds and thousands for a lady who have probably slept with many men.

4.There was never ever a place in the Bible where GOD commanded the bride's parent to present a list but it is the groom's responsibility to bring whatever he dims fit for the lady he wants to marry.

The great example in the Bible was Isaac's marriage to Rebekah who was a virgin and there was no monetary exchange or penalty whatsoever between the two families but affordable gifts were giving to Rebekkah's family by Abraham but not demanded for by Rebekkah's family. Read Genesis 24:52-54.

5. Bride price according to the bible is all about virgins and all the references and bible verses all point to paying a penalty for defiling a virgin as well as giving gifts as Abraham did to Rebekah who also happen to be a virgin.

Genesis 24:15-16:Before he had finished praying, Rebekah came out with her jar on her shoulder. She was the daughter of Bethuel son of Milkah, who was the wife of Abraham’s brother Nahor.The woman was very beautiful, a virgin; no man had ever slept with her. She went down to the spring, filled her jar and came up again.

6.Payment of monetary bride price on ladies generally whether virgins or non virgins is a tradition and not a direct commandment from GOD and in some countries like india,its a woman that actually pays a dowry on the groom and not the other way round.

7.Presenting list or asking for monetary bride price from a man who conscientiously marries a lady is man made rule and not from GOD hence becomes a sin because its better to obey GOD rather than men.

Acts 5:29:Peter and the other apostles replied: "We must obey God rather than human beings!

Conclusively i would advice that we just flow with the fun fare and traditions of the land and pay the bride price to either the Father of the Bride or the Mother of any lady we want to marry even if she is a LovePeddler.

Nevertheless.outrageous monetary bride price or list must be discouraged because it is not even Biblical in the first place but only necessary to obey customs and traditions.

Even Prophet Mohamed(May the peace of GOD be upon him) has this to say:

"the most blessed marriage is one in which the marriage partners place the least burden on each other" (al-Haythami, Kitab ab-Nikah, 4:255).

My candid take.

OP IF U WAN MARRY ABEG NO PAY BRIDE PRICE

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 9:16pm On Aug 01, 2015
emperorchedda:

Old wine tastes better you know wink

grin oya pass me d wine baby i lovit it grin
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Deexxy: 9:17pm On Aug 01, 2015
deadZONE:
Nigerian families been selling their
kids since 1899...
am just saving money to buy my own slave.
i dont know why a civilized country would still be doing trash.

This FTC is dedicated to the lady under me, sorry i didnt know u where behind would have open the door for u to walk in first.

kiss kiss kiss
gringringringrin
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by emperorchedda(m): 9:25pm On Aug 01, 2015
halfrica:

grin oya pass me d wine baby i lovit it grin

Funny you grin grin Let's not derail this wonderful thread...But watch out for that wine beau
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 9:26pm On Aug 01, 2015
emperorchedda:

Funny you grin grin Let's not derail this wonderful thread...But watch out for that wine beau

grin am at d back if this thread if u still need me ok
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by SonOfEl(m): 10:19pm On Aug 01, 2015
STUDY ROMANS 13, WHICH SPEAKS OF HONOURING CUSTOMS FOR WHOM IT IS DUE.
ALSO, JUDAIC PRACTICES ARE NOT NECESSARILY CHRISTIAN PRACTICES, THEY ONLY SHOW SOME SYMBOLIC SEMBLANCE.
OP TAKE NOTE. WORK HARD AND PAY THE BRIDEPRICE OF ANY CUSTOM YOU HOPE TO MARRY FROM.
SHALOM EVERYONE.

7 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Atlantian: 11:15pm On Aug 01, 2015
So, we should forgo our customs and traditions because of useless Asian Religions ?
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by freecocoa(f): 11:19pm On Aug 01, 2015
So it was okay to rape a girl and have her for life, whether she liked it or not? that's interesting, the lord is really good.

Bride price as far as I'm concerned is rubbish and should be scrapped, same goes for the list.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by MarieSucre(f): 11:21pm On Aug 01, 2015
Toks2008:

I honestly dont get your standview.

You are either a christian,muslim or pagan hence the need to adhere to the doctrines of your religion.

oh so its now that you agree that its tradition but probably would have concluded before now that its biblical.

Anyway my point is clear,i was not trying to say we should marry a lady for free and a paragraph in the write up made this clear.

My aim is to point out the fact as you also agreed that its man made tradition.
Adaeze is right. The bride price is not paid in the church and not to a priest, but in a traditional setting to the woman's father. This is an African tradition not just a biblical one. And bride price in the bible is not just for virgins. Even Hosea the prophet paid a bride price on his wife Gomer the prostitute. Bathsheba was married to another man but when she remarried David, a bride price was paid on her.

I personally have issues with the idea behind Bride Price. It reduces women to status of merchandise such as furniture and electronics. That's why you hear some men say "After all I spent as your bride price! You must do so and so or you dare not do so and so.

16 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by MarieSucre(f): 11:27pm On Aug 01, 2015
freecocoa:
So it was okay to rape a girl and have her for life, whether she liked it or not? that's interesting, the lord is really good.

Bride price as far as I'm concerned is rubbish and should be scrapped, same goes for the list.
My sister He is really good o. Imagine the joy of waking up every morning to the face of the man who forcefully had intercourse with you. Preparing his food. Having his children(probably under more forceful sex). Calling him 'my lord'. Going to the temple with him like a happy, functional couple. committing suicide later. OK I'm joking about that last part. But the above scenario is seriously bleeped up on some many levels.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by grandstar(m): 11:28pm On Aug 01, 2015
Adamsdelrio:
Whaooooo! Thank God my prospective inlaws are Christians. I'm gonna present these facts to them so that I can marry their daughter for free... gringrin

Try the urhobos. I heard its 10 naira bride price? Its basically free unless you've used it to buy kuli kuli

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by kollinpowel(m): 11:34pm On Aug 01, 2015
In one word : Eyin okunrin e ma san owo ori mo.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 11:36pm On Aug 01, 2015
I like your religious approach @ op.

Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

I know the muslims adhere to their's

How far with our southern and eastern Christians? Abi that part no dey una bible??
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by temmylorlah(f): 11:38pm On Aug 01, 2015
You will mary a lady in the bible for free...the choice is urs...Rebecca,Leah,Abigail,Esther,Rahab,they plenty oh...lol....This is Africa bro!
Adamsdelrio:
Whaooooo! Thank God my prospective inlaws are Christians. I'm gonna present these facts to them so that I can marry their daughter for free... gringrin
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by SirShymexx: 11:38pm On Aug 01, 2015
---
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by missKiffy(f): 11:42pm On Aug 01, 2015
Adaeze003:
Those laws are for jews you know?

We have our own traditions that have existed even before Christianity came to play. What Christianity did was to get rid of those traditions that were harmful to people. It doesn't abolish our traditions that's why before you're married in church, the priest makes sure you've carried out all rites.

I'm not a fan of bride price myself but all the passages you quoted are sort of irrelevant in the matter.

If you live by those laws you must abide by them all.
You are right

3 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Ojoariyo(m): 11:44pm On Aug 01, 2015
Am sure that no Nigerian was there as at the time the Bible was written else, all Nigerian marital Wrights would have been included from verse 37-999 of that exodus 16. However, those who wrote the Bible marry what ever God was telling them with their own culture. This is the Nigerian culture, learn it, know it and practice it.... Shalom
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by feran15(m): 11:46pm On Aug 01, 2015
but we have been paying bride price before the missionary came to nigeria
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 11:53pm On Aug 01, 2015
INFACT IN WERE I CAME FROM.

WE USE A BUCKET OF MILK ( PAINT RUBBER) AS BRIDE PRICE.

SO PERADVENTURE I WANT TO MARRY A NAIJA WOMAN, JUST ONLY 1K I WILL PAY AS HER BRIDE PRICE. TAKE IT OR MARRY YOUR FATHER angry

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by freecocoa(f): 11:58pm On Aug 01, 2015
MarieSucre:

My sister He is really good o. Imagine the joy of waking up every morning to the face of the man who forcefully had intercourse with you. Preparing his food. Having his children(probably under more forceful sex). Calling him 'my lord'. Going to the temple with him like a happy, functional couple. committing suicide later. OK I'm joking about that last part. But the above scenario is seriously bleeped up on some many levels.
a joke it is but that's what's likely to happen.

I just don't know how people think it's okay to love such a god.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 11:59pm On Aug 01, 2015
There are three faces to marriage: 1. RELIGION, 2. LEGAL, 3. TRADITIONAL.
You have just explained the religious bit.
Now do same for the rest 2, after which I shall reply you personally

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by hopilo4life(m): 12:01am On Aug 02, 2015
Adaeze003:
Those laws are for jews you know?

We have our own traditions that have existed even before Christianity came to play. What Christianity did was to get rid of those traditions that were harmful to people. It doesn't abolish our traditions that's why before you're married in church, the priest makes sure you've carried out all rites.

I'm not a fan of bride price myself but all the passages you quoted are sort of irrelevant in the matter.

If you live by those laws you must abide by them all.

Why will the passage quoted not be irrelevant to you,when it was talking about bride price payed for women that are VIGIN.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by HerexG(m): 12:04am On Aug 02, 2015
When is does the bible become a standard or guide to our African culture, the earlier we wake up from this westernized delusion the better for us.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by malikisah: 12:06am On Aug 02, 2015
iamtomi:
u chanced me!!! angry
u no get work

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

My Husband Denies Me Sex And Affection...its Killing Me / Nigerian Man Baths His Baby, Becomes An Internet Sensation (Photos, Video) / Parents, Don't Allow Your Kids To Run To Meet You When You Return Home. See Why

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.