Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,927 members, 7,803,023 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 07:36 AM

7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. (78753 Views)

Benue Teacher Asked To Pay 1.5 Million Naira As Bride Price (Photo) / Man Insists On Paying Extra Bride Price After Seeing His Wife In This Dress / 2016 Bride Price In Umuahia, Abia State (photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by HerexG(m): 6:44am On Aug 02, 2015
hopilo4life:

What are u saying man,God also gave a command in the Bible that all jews male child penis should be cut .so Bros,as an African like u said,i hope ur own penis is still like the way ur parent gave birth to you.

Let me say that would be a burrowed culture all thanks to our uneducated fore father's who was grossly manipulated by these western demons to forcefully accept what is totally not of us. Even majority of them don't regard this books we hold in an high esteem written by primitive men.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 6:52am On Aug 02, 2015
Adaeze003:

The aim of religion is not to uproot us from our culture Mr. The aim of Christianity as far as I'm concerned is to have everlasting life amongst other things. Now, does paying bride price hinder that?

Like I said, those are laws for the jews and not Christians at large.

I do not subscribe to the idea of bride price as well. Slaves are bought not wives. But that's the tradition of the land you're in or intend to marry from. It can be changed but not by hiding behind Christianity. Christianity does not prohibit paying of bride price is all I'm saying.
Then tell your parents to stop selling you like slaves! As long as they prefer "selling", we have no option than to buy and use the article like a purchased one.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by matingo(f): 6:53am On Aug 02, 2015
Dy don't ask u for bride price in church so all d bible verses are not necessary, rather it's embedded in our culture n/tradition; hence it's during the traditional marriage dat u re asked for the bride price.
Most yorubas return the bride price, dy tell d guy dr daughter is not for sale but to take care of her

3 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by ayindejimmy(m): 6:56am On Aug 02, 2015
Adaeze003:
Those laws are for jews you know?

We have our own traditions that have existed even before Christianity came to play. What Christianity did was to get rid of those traditions that were harmful to people. It doesn't abolish our traditions that's why before you're married in church, the priest makes sure you've carried out all rites.

I'm not a fan of bride price myself but all the passages you quoted are sort of irrelevant in the matter.

If you live by those laws you must abide by them all.

If you've deemed yourself a Christian, all those laws that apply to the Jews also apply to you.
Once a Christian the law of God does not discriminate.
We either choose to obey God or obey our local tradition.
And it's inimical when men rob, steal, borrow or empty their bank Acct to Wed. What about their marriage life afterwards?

In all, what should be discouraged is the outrageous bills that wedding accumulates.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Adaeze003(f): 6:56am On Aug 02, 2015
Desric:
Now some people are choosing the rules meant for the jews and the ones meant for others but they want full inheritance and privleges as the jews but with reservations. When it suits us, it's our tradition, when it doesnt, it's not Biblical. Christianity now has prefrences, those to choose and those to leave. Na god go dey watch una one by one.

Do you seriously want to live by old testament rules? grin Or just the bride price part undecided...

You should read the old testament more and find out the gazillion things you are not doing .grin
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Danhumprey: 7:03am On Aug 02, 2015
Toks2008:
I want all the "My pastor said" to come on and argue these facts and i want the pastors and Bishops who preach contrary to come in and educate me more maybe there is something im missing.
Abeg,there's nothing you are missing. You have quoted,included and explained relevant Bible passage to back-up and shed more light to your post. What more do you need? It's funny how so-called Christians that claimed to live according to the Bible,twist it to allign with their own fickleness and doctrines/traditions of men. Smh.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Adaeze003(f): 7:08am On Aug 02, 2015
ayindejimmy:

If you've deemed yourself a Christian, all those laws that apply to the Jews also apply to you.
Once a Christian the law of God does not discriminate.
We either choose to obey God or obey our local tradition.
And it's inimical when men rob, steal, borrow or empty their bank Acct to Wed. What about their marriage life afterwards?

In all, what should be discouraged is the outrageous bills that wedding accumulates.

I'm not going to go deep on this one but the law that applies to Christianity is "Love". Love of God and neighbors.

If we want to practice Judaism we'll still be sacrificing lambs and not eating pigs, you're not allowed to shave your beards, an eye for an eye? You will worship on Saturday and not work too...

You should ask your preacher or better still, read your old testament and while at it, jot all the rules there(Gen-Deut to be precise). Then you'll realize you aint even doing 1/3 of them.

Cc @Danhumphrey
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by oluwaahmed: 7:09am On Aug 02, 2015
Oga are u a jew dat u shd be quotin scriptures of bride price dis & dat? If u want 2 follow d same deutronomy, does it not specify 3 types of tithes 2 be paid, why den do u pay only 1 & claim oda dt Dnt pay r robbin God(deut 14 22-27:28-29). Every1 uses xtainty 4 his/her own advantage. If a custom or traditn specify's u pay bride price B4 traditnal marriage, u pay; it's nt even by force. Mind evry trad marriage is marriage b4 God. Shw me wer in d bible wer he said after trad u shd do white wedding. Even the name WHITE WEDDING shows u Dats it's a white man tradition. Tink abt it, d white man doesn't do trad wat he does is white wedding. But what churches tell u is after u marry traditionally cme & marry in d church so God will bless ur marriage. Dats a false teaching. As long as u took consent 4rm d brides parents & did d necessary rites, God has already blessed d marriage. Even jesus attended a traditional jewish marriage where he performed his 1st miracle. Ha Africans ehn we r easily fooled & misled becos we Dnt read. When d whites say if u Wana hide anytin 4rm a black man put it in a book, u say dey r racists

2 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Danhumprey: 7:09am On Aug 02, 2015
Adaeze003:

We have our own traditions that have existed even before Christianity came to play. What Christianity did was to get rid of those traditions that were harmful to people. It doesn't abolish our traditions that's why before you're married in church, the priest makes sure you've carried out all rites.

I'm not a fan of bride price myself but all the passages you quoted are sort of irrelevant in the matter.

What laws are for the Jews? Christianity,where did it originate from? The Bible,the Christian Holy Book,where did it originate from? Oh,I guess,the Bible is man-made,right? Interesting.

Before the white men brought Christianity to us,we were content with our culture and tradition. What harmful part of our custom did Christianity came to remove?
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Atigba: 7:16am On Aug 02, 2015
@ op

You sure u re Ok...... that is Jewish tradition not Africa

We have our tradition here
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by CSTR2: 7:23am On Aug 02, 2015
Seriously some men are something else.
You want to convert someone's daughter to a sperm reservoir, shitting out children for you without appreciating the parent handsomely.
Parents who have spent fortunes giving their female daughters good education to become engineers, doctors e.t.c. should just handover their daughter to you just like that.
And not to forget the fact that instead of the parent, the husband will be the one to enjoy the benefit of her education for the rest of her days.
Broke men.
I don't believe any sensible woman would allow such dishonour on herself and her parent.

3 Likes

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 02, 2015
sonofananimal1:
AS IN..............................?

SHALL YOU MAKE SMALL SENSE

Shall you learn to mind your own business?
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by ylaa(f): 7:27am On Aug 02, 2015
i strongly believe that the writer of this article has no money to pay his bride price.
receive the grace to do so.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by gajerian(m): 7:30am On Aug 02, 2015
Adaeze003:

Quote Bible my Sister
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by wrongnumber: 7:31am On Aug 02, 2015
Adaeze003:

I'm not going to go deep on this one but the law that applies to Christianity is "Love". Love of God and neighbors.

If we want to practice Judaism we'll still be sacrificing lambs and not eating pigs, you're not allowed to shave your beards, an eye for an eye?

You should ask your preacher or better still, read your old testament and while at it, jot all the rules there(Gen-Deut to be precise). Then you'll realize you aint even doing 1/3 of them.

Cc @Danhumphrey

There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus.Galatians 3:28

Jesus said "Don't misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose.Matthew 5:17

But Peter and the apostles replied,"We must obey God rather than human beings".Acts 5:29

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by bigiyaro(m): 7:33am On Aug 02, 2015
op am sure ur dad paid d bride price for ur mom. If u like twist d bible to suit ur ill logics,Its our tradition n u must pay! Americans dont pay cos its nt in dia way of life,bt dis is wat we do even before d white men brougth dis bible u r qoutin
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by zeongeon: 7:37am On Aug 02, 2015
Its funny how we guyz pay bride price for a girl who has slept with other guyz who didn't have to pay her bride price..They simply had her perform duties of a W.I.F.E (washing, ironing, fucking, etc.) for FREE.

To me the only time a man should pay bride price is when he is marrying a virgin and Not some girl that has bleeped all and every and they still give u list with 50tubers of yam, 2 he-goats, 10 cocks, 5 hens, 2bags of rice, 20 pieces of wrapper...u can add urs.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by hardbody: 7:38am On Aug 02, 2015
Adamsdelrio:
Whaooooo! Thank God my prospective inlaws are Christians. I'm gonna present these facts to them so that I can marry their daughter for free... gringrin

While you are doing that, present your rib for them to take away and mould the new wife for you.

Funny how people just interpret the Bible. What is the significance and implication of taking Adam's rib to mold a wife for him? Was it impossible for God to have taken dust again from the ground to mold a wife for him?

OP, think....
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by hardbody: 7:39am On Aug 02, 2015
Adamsdelrio:
Whaooooo! Thank God my prospective inlaws are Christians. I'm gonna present these facts to them so that I can marry their daughter for free... gringrin

While you are doing that, present your rib for them to take away and mould the new wife for you.

Funny how people just inteprete the Bible. What is the significance and implication of taking Adam's rib to mould a wife for him? Was it impossible for God to have taken dust again from the ground to mould a wife for him?

OP, think....

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by wrongnumber: 7:40am On Aug 02, 2015
CSTR2:
Seriously some men are something else.
You want to convert someone's daughter to a sperm reservoir, shitting out children for you without appreciating the parent handsomely.
Parents who have spent fortunes giving their female daughters good education to become engineers, doctors e.t.c. should just handover their daughter to you just like that.
And not to forget the fact that instead of the parent, the husband will be the one to enjoy the benefit of her education for the rest of her days.
Broke men.
I don't believe any sensible woman would allow such dishonour on herself and her parent.

Did you actualy read that write up?Please do again and you will see that the OP never ever wrote that a man should not pay a bride price and he even advised that we do even if the lady is a love peddler just to satisfy hu8man traditions.

His point has been clear from the very first paragraph.The point is that even if you ask these traditionalists or our forefathers as wel as the ladies in question,they will not waste a second to tel you that even its in the bible but GOD bless the OP fore his sound mind and objective mindset in not just only opening our eyes but also backing it up with the time tested words of GOD.

So when next we pay Bride price and when next you see that guy pay bride price on you just know that he is just trying to please a greedy tradition and at the same time disobeying GOD.

The truth is that no man should marry a lady free but no parents should also ask a man to bring a certain fee or hand over a list but the man should bring what he can afford expecially if the lady in question is not even a virgin or disvirgined by he man who intends to marry her. Lets call a spade spade
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by wrongnumber: 7:43am On Aug 02, 2015
hardbody:

Funny how people just inteprete the Bible. What is the significance and implication of taking Adam's rib to mould a wife for him? Was it impossible for God to have taken dust again from the ground to mould a wife for him?

OP, think....

[size=20pt]AND DID GOD ASK ADAM FOR A BRIDE PRICE?[/size]
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by safarigirl(f): 7:43am On Aug 02, 2015
9jatatafo:
I want to know if bride price are paid in the US, UK, Canada and co. Please I need answer ooo!!!
do you share traditions with them? If you want to be like them, tell your government to approve gay marriage too.

If you are too broke to pay bride price, then stay single. To marry no be by force, why all this moaning from kids? Na today dem begin dey pay bride price? People have been doing this for eons, they are still doing it.

Yet, we have some broke,.stingy people yarning dust about traditions from the OLD testament as if they keep to half the things there.

Abeg make una no marry, marriage is not for everyone. If you can't afford bride price, then you can't afford to feed a family and should remain unmarried till you can before you kill someone's child with poverty and frustration
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by rman: 7:48am On Aug 02, 2015
wrongnumber:

The op is clear.

I wonder why many of you are fuming up for nothing.

He simply wrote that we should follow traditions and go with the flow of the fun fair but also made it glaringly clear that people should stop using the Bible or Quran as excuse for their greedy tradition but many of you don't ever read and assimilate but just look at a post in a glance and start commenting.

When it comes to placing God's rules and tradition side by side we are compelled to choose that of GOD so i wonder why this subject has turned many people here to pagans clamoring for tradition as if that supersede GOD's ordinances.SMH

Thought I'm the only one that noticed the lack of understanding displayed my many posters in response to OPs post.

1 Like

Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by wrongnumber: 7:52am On Aug 02, 2015
safarigirl:
do you share traditions with them? If you want to be like them, tell your government to approve gay marriage too.

If you are too broke to pay bride price, then stay single. To marry no be by force, why all this moaning from kids? Na today dem begin dey pay bride price? People have been doing this for eons, they are still doing it.

Yet, we have some broke,.stingy people yarning dust about traditions from the OLD testament as if they keep to half the things there.

Abeg make una no marry, marriage is not for everyone. If you can't afford bride price, then you can't afford to feed a family and should remain unmarried till you can before you kill someone's child with poverty and frustration

98% of every guy who wants to marry wants to pay bride price but when a tradition has turned to extortion,greedy self-centered people have taking advantage of the lies that Its even in the bible to ask for crazy bride price and hand over stwpid list then it becomes imperative that we tell them to dissociate the Bible from their greedy cravings and that is what i believe the OP[ have successful did.

I was at a restaurant yesterday night and i heard where some igbo women were going on and on talking about how expensive their daughters are and having just read this write up i asked them that why are they placing so much importance on bride price they never wasted a sec to answer that haha shebbi even the bible COMMANDS MEN to pay bride price and i felt like slapping them but kept mum to avoid baseless arguments. I pity the igbo ladies especially and that is why only 3 out of 10 will marry early while most of them end up from one man to another because no man is interested in wasting so much on a lady that have probably been with Emeka,chike,paul,yobo...

GOD bless the OP.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by hardbody: 7:52am On Aug 02, 2015
wrongnumber:

[size=20pt]AND DID GOD ASK ADAM FOR A BRIDE PRICE?[/size]

It is difficult for you to comprehend. Do you know and have you heard of 'quid pro quo? .....google it. It roughly means something given in return or exchange for another.....

Please define bride price.....

I doubt you will understand
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by vicchuks7: 7:53am On Aug 02, 2015
[i][/i]the author of this post must be a fundamental FOOL... Mindless copycat.. Bride price is our tradition and not "biblical"... I'm a Christian in case u r wondering
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by hardbody: 7:54am On Aug 02, 2015
wrongnumber:

98% of every guy who wants to marry wants to pay bride price but when a tradition has turned to extortion,greedy self-centered people have taking advantage of the lies that Its even in the bible to ask for crazy bride price and hand over stwpid list then it becomes imperative that we tell them to dissociate the Bible from their greedy cravings and that is what i believe the OP[ have successful did.

I was at a restaurant yesterday night and i heard where some igbo women were going on and on talking about how expensive their daughters are and having just read this write up i asked them that why are they placing so much importance on bride price they never wasted a sec to answer that haha shebbi even the bible COMMANDS MEN to pay bride price and i felt like slapping them but kept mum to avoid baseless arguments. I pity the igbo ladies especially and that is why 7 out of 10 will mary in their twenties while most of them end up from one man to another because no man is interested in wasting so much on a lady that have probably been with Emeka,chike,paul,yobo...

GOD bless the OP.

God will punish poverty
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by SonOfEl(m): 7:57am On Aug 02, 2015
Toks2008:

If it comees to tithing i guess judaic practise becomes relevant but coming to a specific law God gave his people through Moses its now judaic abi?

TITHING IS BY REVELATION, NOT A JUDAIC PRACTICE. ABRAHAM GAVE TITHES, AND JACOB GAVE TITHES BEFORE JUDAIC PRACTICES EVER CAME INTO BEING.
STUDY YOUR SCRIPTURES WELL.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by cooljude(m): 7:58am On Aug 02, 2015
Toks2008:

I honestly dont get your standview.

You are either a christian,muslim or pagan hence the need to adhere to the doctrines of your religion.

oh so its now that you agree that its tradition but probably would have concluded before now that its biblical.

Anyway my point is clear,i was not trying to say we should marry a lady for free and a paragraph in the write up made this clear.

My aim is to point out the fact as you also agreed that its man made tradition.
All this religious profiling make me sick. What do you mean by saying you are either christain,muslim and pagan. Their are other religions and they are relevant to their followers. So don't impose your thinking on them. Well i disagree with your post. Didn't Jacob work for more than 14 years in his father-inlaws house just to marry Rachael and her senior sister Leah because he couldn't pay for Rachael's hand in marriage.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by Nobody: 7:59am On Aug 02, 2015
Adamsdelrio:

You sure u ready to marry so? Dem go ask you weda na bible portion bin feed her, cloth her and train her to the level u now see and admire her. If u no wan pay for her bride price, back off. Simple.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by safarigirl(f): 7:59am On Aug 02, 2015
Danhumprey:
Abeg,there's nothing you are missing. You have quoted,included and explained relevant Bible passage to back-up and shed more light to your post. What more do you need? It's funny how so-called Christians that claimed to live according to the Bible,twist it to allign with their own fickleness and doctrines/traditions of men. Smh.
my friend go and hustle money for bride price and stop wailing.

I bet you don't live by half the rules of the old testament all you moaning moaners are endorsing here. The only time the bible mentions marriage is where it stated that marriage can only be sanctioned by God when the father gives his daughter away.

If you can only take a wife via bride price, then pay it, afterall, even Jesus said give to Caesar what is Caesar's and give to God what is God's, so for all of you trying to use God's word to avoid traditional rites, don't forget that part of the bible.
Re: 7 Facts About Bride Price That Will Shock You. by wrongnumber: 8:02am On Aug 02, 2015
hardbody:

God will punish poverty

Is it about poverty? see me see wahala.

Honestly i can sell my properties to give a bride price on a lady i disvirgined and wants to marry or a lady i marry as a virgin,no wonder Abraham gave so much to rebekah.

A man can also pay a billion dollars in cash for a bride price of a love peddler if he so desires BUT THE SIMPLE TRUTH FROM THE BIBLE IS THAT NO PARENT SHOULD ASK FOR MONATARY BRIDE PRICE OR HAND OVER A LIST but if it has been a tradition all well and good but this tradition should not be too greedy and selfish to the extent that it will put a whole in the pockets of the groom.

This is not about poverty. Do you know how many guys out there that are sincerely ready to marry? A guy that makes 40k or 50k per month can manage to take care of a wife and even two kids while they pray for more blessing from GOD but for this man to marry he has to save up about 500k for owanbe,aso ebi and so on and in some eastern part, a man with 500k for marriage is a joker so tell me what happens next?

These guys wil just keep mum and start scrwng the ladies who wil not also complain because according to their dumb brain,the guy is not ready until they discover they are 30 and starts running from pillar to post.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Is My Dad Trying To Have An Extramarital Affair? / My Husband Denies Me Sex And Affection...its Killing Me / Nigerian Man Baths His Baby, Becomes An Internet Sensation (Photos, Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.