Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,941 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:33 AM

What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? (12521 Views)

The Quest For Religion Supremacy & Dominance In North Nigeria / Pastor Who Buried Humans In His Church Foundation Finally Got Arrested[see Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by texanomaly(f): 7:37pm On Aug 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Good point!

Now, what happens when these being learn and become adults? Fully reasoning robots? Do we treat them like humans?

I really am not one to use this phrase frivolously, but I'm tempted to say, "Let's cross that bridge when/if we get there." I'm usually a "be prepared before you get there" chick. I find it difficult to look beyond "reality" in this instance, which is uncharacteristic of me. undecided
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by Nobody: 7:38pm On Aug 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

You could start with yourself.

There is a transformer at the beginning of your street waiting to be hugged! cheesy cheesy

Nah. There's light now biko tongue

Btw, the moment robots start to act in the same capacity as humans, it will simply be known or seen as evolution. Part man/ Part robot.
And the way I see it, the time will soon come but this current generation will be long gone.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:39pm On Aug 03, 2015
texanomaly:

I really am not one to use this phrase frivolously, but I'm tempted to say, "Let's cross that bridge when/if we get there." I'm usually a "be prepared before you get there" chick. I find it difficult to look beyond "reality" in this instance, which is uncharacteristic of me. undecided

undecided

That's an electric slide over the question.

Try again.

Most people here have been talking about the hypothetical situation....
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by UyiIredia(m): 7:39pm On Aug 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Never say never.

Scientists are mapping the brain.....there could be androids- half humans (clones), half robots...........ROBOCOP!!!

Nah. Never applies here. Consciousness isn't a behaviour. It's a unique quality and given its nature cannot be applied to robots.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:41pm On Aug 03, 2015
UyiIredia:

Nah. Never applies here. Consciousness isn't a behaviour. It's a unique quality and given its nature cannot be applied to robots.

So this is what a closed mind sounds like grin
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by tartar9(m): 7:47pm On Aug 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

How do you know that you are conscious? Your answer to that question will help you understand if a robot is conscious.

Now, never say never. Back when Moses was writing the 10 commandments on a stone tablet, little did he know that over 3000 years later, a digital tablet would be available.

And now, technology has advanced so much that what we think will happen in 3000 years will happen earlier in 30 years.
a major insight or discovery could be the key to creating a conscious being but based on what we know and our current technological progression,we are still far behind in creating a conscious robot.before i go on what do you understand by the term consciousness?
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:49pm On Aug 03, 2015
tartar9:
a major insight or discovery could be the key to creating a conscious being but based on what we know and our current technological progression,we are still far behind in creating a conscious robot.before i go on what do you understand by the term consciousness?

consciousness- state of being aware of yourself and surroundings.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by UyiIredia(m): 7:52pm On Aug 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

So this is what a closed mind sounds like grin

You're the closed one. You must understand that there's a limit to the kind of technology man can deploy. Artificial intelligence, yes; artificial consciousness, no.

2 Likes

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 7:53pm On Aug 03, 2015
UyiIredia:

You're the closed one. You must understand that there's a limit to the kind of technology man can deploy. Artificial intelligence, yes; artificial consciousness, no.

There no limit to genius.

1 Like

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by davien(m): 7:53pm On Aug 03, 2015
I personally believe that A.I can attain human-like behaviours and emotions...it is ever-approaching that level today..
Once you have an A.I of sufficient complexity that is well-programmed with algorithms for self-awareness in regards to it's environment,a defined concept of success/failure and good/bad,with a fluid application to acquire/engage and test out unknown real-world situations towards living and non-living things...

The Turing test have over the years been passed by many A.I and there's even an A.I in china that retains and asks real-world questions after attaining bits of information...although the question of whether it truly knows what it's saying rather than following a programme is a tough one.. But then again humans also are predertimined by "programmes" like neurones,hormones all in a brain that dishes out what we do...so who is conscious?
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by UyiIredia(m): 7:57pm On Aug 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

There's a limit to what genius can do.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by davien(m): 7:57pm On Aug 03, 2015
Allnaijablogger have you watched EX. MACHINA?
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by texanomaly(f): 8:03pm On Aug 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

undecided

That's an electric slide over the question.

Try again.

Most people here have been talking about the hypothetical situation....

I already given my hypothesis.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by texanomaly(f): 8:06pm On Aug 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Of course there is. Don't be silly.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by tartar9(m): 8:06pm On Aug 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

consciousness- state of being aware of yourself and surroundings.
thats it,you are the one being aware of yourself and your sorroundings.for example given two robots one only exhibiting human-like intelligence and the other in addition to its human-like intelligence also conscious of itself,how can you an observer tell if any of these robots experiences consciousness or not?
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:22pm On Aug 03, 2015
davien:
Allnaijablogger have you watched EX. MACHINA?

YES!

I have watched ALL blockbuster robot movies. Try me.

Sha...the main actor in the Ex Machina was a fool....see robot seduce my guy throway am!! cheesy cheesy
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:25pm On Aug 03, 2015
tartar9:
thats it,you are the one being aware of yourself and your sorroundings.for example given two robots one only exhibiting human-like intelligence and the other in addition to its human-like intelligence also conscious of itself,how can you an observer tell if any of these robots experiences consciousness or not?

Ask the robot to describe something abstract.

Like the mood of a piece of Beethoven's compositions. You can't use logic and programming to answer thart
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:25pm On Aug 03, 2015
texanomaly:

Of course there is. Don't be silly.

There isn't.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:28pm On Aug 03, 2015
UyiIredia:

There's a limit to what genius can do.

Really? Is that what you believe.

I wish you could see into the future 500 years from now.

You would have the same look that my cousins from the village had when I showed them how bluetooth radio media works in my car
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by davien(m): 8:31pm On Aug 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

YES!

I have watched ALL blockbuster robot movies. Try me.

Sha...the main actor in the Ex Machina was a fool....see robot seduce my guy throway am!! cheesy cheesy
lol grin You won't say he wasn't warned...
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by davien(m): 8:34pm On Aug 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Really? Is that what you believe.

I wish you could see into the future 500 years from now.

You would have the same look that my cousins from the village had when I showed them how bluetooth radio media works in my car

or how someone who hasn't met the civilized world would be throwing sticks at cars and looking for people inside the television.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by texanomaly(f): 8:41pm On Aug 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

There isn't.

The difference between stupidit.y and genius is that genius has its limits.
~Albert Einstein
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by texanomaly(f): 8:43pm On Aug 03, 2015
davien:

I personally believe that A.I can attain human-like behaviours and emotions...it is ever-approaching that level today..
Once you have an A.I of sufficient complexity that is well-programmed with algorithms for self-awareness in regards to it's environment, a defined concept of success/failure and good/bad,with a fluid application to acquire/engage and test out unknown real-world situations towards living and non-living things...

The bolded makes it still just a program

davien:

The Turing test have over the years been passed by many A.I and there's even an A.I in china that retains and asks real-world questions after attaining bits of information...although the question of whether it truly knows what it's saying rather than following a programme is a tough one.. But then again humans also are predertimined by "programmes" like neurones,hormones all in a brain that dishes out what we do...so who is conscious?

This statement brings us back to what Uyi said. It all depends on how you define consciousness.

davien:

algorithms for self-awareness in regards to it's environment, a defined concept of success/failure and good/bad,with a fluid application to acquire/engage and test out unknown real-world situations towards living and non-living things...

Still programmed.

Which makes me think about the myriad of movies where "self aware" machines make choices based on logic alone, and do not take any extenuating circumstances into consideration.

I read somewhere that artificial intelligence should not be confused with consciousness in the sense of qualia. I agree with this.

1 Like

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:50pm On Aug 03, 2015
texanomaly:

The difference between stupidit.y and genius is that genius has its limits.
~Albert Einstein

Einstein didnt make that foolish quote. That is a popular hoax.

Genius has no limit. When I say "Genius" I mean the intellect of humans in general. We humans can do almost anything

1 Like

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by tartar9(m): 8:50pm On Aug 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Ask the robot to describe something abstract.

Like the mood of a piece of Beethoven's compositions. You can't use logic and programming to answer thart
of course even simple programming can be used to answer that.would you ever know if the robot really feels whats its saying or its just telling you what it has been programmed to say in response to such a question.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:51pm On Aug 03, 2015
davien:
lol grin You won't say he wasn't warned...

You need to watch-

Humans (e4)
The Animatrix

These are two of my best robot flicks

1 Like

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 8:53pm On Aug 03, 2015
tartar9:
of course even simple programming can be used to answer that.would you ever know if the robot really feels whats its saying or its just telling you what it has been programmed to say.

I would ask the robot to describe a random song. Or I could make up a song and ask the robot for the mood. You cant program against what you cannot anticipate.

cool
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by davien(m): 8:56pm On Aug 03, 2015
texanomaly:

The bolded makes it still just a program
what else would it be called for an artificial construct?...
Incidentally it is not only the program but the things it can do...else you're just a sac of meat housing chemicals and electrical impulses....see what I mean undecided

This statement brings us back to what Uyi said. It all depends on how you define consciousness.
True and then again nobody has a discrete definition and some merit one over another because it draws to their emotional side of human beings...

Still programmed.
Again this is a non-sequitor..

Which makes me think about the myriad of movies where "self aware" machines make choices based on logic alone, and do not take any extenuating circumstances into consideration.
That's why it's called sci-fi. There are conferences being held for A.I ethics.

I read somewhere that artificial intelligence should not be confused with consciousness in the sense of qualia. I agree with this.
Reading and agreeing to an article or two doesn't tell us anything about human ingenuity and there are algorithms that learn from experience...
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by texanomaly(f): 8:57pm On Aug 03, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Einstein didnt make that foolish quote. That is a popular hoax.

Genius has no limit. When I say "Genius" I mean the intellect of humans in general. We humans can do almost anything

If genius has no limit, then why do we not have a cure for cancer.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:01pm On Aug 03, 2015
herald9:

At least that's how the bible god expects his creations to be- obey, praise and worship him without questioning. Maybe we are just learning from Baba.

But on serious note, much more advanced robots might be given freewill, just like those ones in the novel. They make decisions, take independent actions and hold intelligent conversations with humans.
If that comes to realization, maybe they might start giving us the same headache we are giving our supposed creator grin. But then, the difference is clear, they can see, feel, and hold a conversation with their creator without having to go through this dilemma human beings found themselves. They wouldn't need to read holy books in order to get to know us.

Christians used these terms synonymously. As a deist, I don't believe in gods, but I believe the universe was created by a or many creators who doesn't participates in running of the world, or it is the universe itself. In that way, he doesn't require acknowledgement or worship.

Your honesty is brutal.

If they can talk, reason and possesses almost all the qualities of living beings, can they still be regarded as non-living things?

Hmmmm. The gods will answer that.

According to the book, it might be similar. Cause nobody could've wasted time to investigate how a robot 'died' instead of creating another one.

To achieve what purpose? If Jesus didn't die for robots, there's no need for it taking part in any symbolic Christian activities. It might even be an 'abomination unto the lord'

That charisma might be lacking. You need to convince people to empty their pockets. A robot can't do that can't do that to perfection. He's already seen his creator and wouldn't know what you're talking about.

Read that novel and you'll see things. The woman that owned the dead robot used to sleep with it. I didn't finish the novel, so maybe sex contributed to his shutting down (mind you, using that phrase is a crime there. You use 'dead' instead.

LOL. What's spirituality to a robot. Should they expect invisible people too?

For the advanced countries, yes. But for Africa, it'll be catastrophic. We are currently suffering from unemployment, if you bring robots to take over the few works we have, what do you think would happen?

Sounds weird. Ladies could actually use them as semi-human masturbators. I'd rather go for my kind. There's no pleasure in drilling a framework of metals.

So the ideal robot being will be an atheist? Hmm that's quite unappealing for me. grin

1 Like

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:04pm On Aug 03, 2015
texanomaly:

If genius has no limit, then why do we not have a cure for cancer.

We didnt have a cure for many diseases 30 years ago........and yet we managed to find a cure for those diseases.

Why don't you say HIV/AIDS? We will conquer it and conquer cancer!

Faith is not only meant for worshiping God. God is in all humans.....sometimes, you need faith in the human ingenuity.

1 Like

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by texanomaly(f): 9:05pm On Aug 03, 2015
davien:
what else would it be called for an artificial construct?...
Incidentally it is not only the program but the things it can do...else you're just a sac of meat housing chemicals and electrical impulses....see what I mean undecided

True and then again nobody has a discrete definition and some merit one over another because it draws to their emotional side of human beings...

Again this is a non-sequitor..

That's why it's called sci-fi. There are conferences being held for A.I ethics.

Reading and agreeing to an article or two doesn't tell us anything about human ingenuity and there are algorithms that learn from experience...

None of this compares to human intelligence or consciousness. My point is...I'm don't believe Man will ever be able to completely engineer human emotions from A.I. If we are talking machines that can learn, we are already there.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Why Didnt God Kill Satan From The Onset? / Oritsejafor Condemns Attack On Shehu of Borno / Voodoo: Do You Believe In It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.