Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,795 members, 7,806,200 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 12:56 PM

What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? (12526 Views)

The Quest For Religion Supremacy & Dominance In North Nigeria / Pastor Who Buried Humans In His Church Foundation Finally Got Arrested[see Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by UyiIredia(m): 9:32am On Aug 04, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

I hope you know that physical laws are mostly useless at the quantum level? Stop being myopic. Imagine the progress we will make when we fully understand the quantum world.

Cellular regeneration is different from stopping aging.

Calm down and believe

Even the quantum level has laws it follows. Stop being stupid. There is still so much we don't know and won't know and there are certain things we can never do.

Aging usually slows down cellular regeneration so stopping aging helps cellular regeneration.

Calm down and be skeptical.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:35am On Aug 04, 2015
UyiIredia:

Common cold is harmless. One doesn't need treatment to make it harmless.

Now humor me with what makes time-travel possible.

Uyi is travelling by 12pm at 5 kilometers per hour from point A to point B. The distance between the two points is 50 kilometers. How long will it take Uyi to get to point B and what time will he get there?

The usual answer is that Uyi will arrive at point B in 10 hours at 10pm

But If Point A and B are in different time zones (for example, GMT and GMT-1), Uyi will actually arrive at point B at 9pm.

Time is relative. One could say you went 1hr back in time.

-----------------------------------

There are other examples regarding time travel with time dilation in space https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

OMG! did I just blow Uyi Iredia's mind?

1 Like

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:37am On Aug 04, 2015
UyiIredia:

Even the quantum level has laws it follows. Stop being stupid. There is still so much we don't know and won't know and there are certain things we can never do.

Aging usually slows down cellular regeneration so stopping aging helps cellular regeneration.

Calm down and be skeptical.

This is why people like you never invent things- you keep looking at your limitations rather than thinking outside the box.

I can imagine what would have happened if humans kept on believing that we could never get to the moon

1 Like

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by UyiIredia(m): 9:49am On Aug 04, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

This is why people like you never invent things- you keep looking at your limitations rather than thinking outside the box.

I can imagine what would have happened if humans kept on believing that we could never get to the moon

Thinking outside the box doesn't mean you can do anything and everything. This is why your former statement that there are no limits to genius is silly. Thinking outside the box involves knowing which limitations are surmountable and doing what you can to surmount them. Man can and did gt to the moon. But man can never get to the sun, that is insurmountable.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 9:51am On Aug 04, 2015
UyiIredia:

Thinking outside the box doesn't mean you can do anything and everything. This is why your former statement that there are no limits to genius is silly. Thinking outside the box involves knowing which limitations are surmountable and doing what you can to surmount them. Man can and did gt to the moon. But man can never get to the sun, that is insurmountable.

Thinking outside the box means thinking outside normal limits.

Say "no" to word salads.

1 Like

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by UyiIredia(m): 9:57am On Aug 04, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Uyi is travelling by 12pm at 5 kilometers per hour from point A to point B. The distance between the two points is 50 kilometers. How long will it take Uyi to get to point B and what time will he get there?

The usual answer is that Uyi will arrive at point B in 10 hours at 10pm

But If Point A and B are in different time zones (for example, GMT and GMT-1), Uyi will actually arrive at point B at 9pm.

Time is relative. One could say you went 1hr back in time.

-----------------------------------

There are other examples regarding time travel with time dilation in space https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation

OMG! did I just blow Uyi Iredia's mind?

No, I didn't go 1hr back in time, I went to a different time zone. My watch would still say 10 pm. Time dilation doesn't necessarily involve time travel, it simply means time is slow at a given location relative to another one, and usually with the space of seconds. Significant time dilation can only occur at light speed or faster-than-light speed which is impossible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by UyiIredia(m): 9:59am On Aug 04, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Thinking outside the box means thinking outside normal limits.

Say "no" to word salads.

You better not think outside the limits of logical and physical laws for the sake of 'thinking outside the box'. Say 'no' to wishful thinking.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:01am On Aug 04, 2015
UyiIredia:

No, I didn't go 1hr back in time, I went to a different time zone. My watch would still say 10 pm. Time dilation doesn't necessarily involve time travel, it simply means time is slow at a given location relative to another one, and usually with the space of seconds. Significant time dilation can only occur at light speed or faster-than-light speed which is impossible.

Close-minded
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 10:04am On Aug 04, 2015
UyiIredia:

You better not think outside the limits of logical and physical laws for the sake of 'thinking outside the box'. Say 'no' to wishful thinking.

Some laws supersede others. What if we find new laws that distort or even enhance our current physical laws?
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by plaetton: 1:01pm On Aug 04, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

When the steam locomotive engine was Invented, people like Uyi shouted that humans would not be able to survive travelling beyond the speed of 22 miles per hour.

Same type of folks also said, at birth of the airplane, that if god wanted man to fly, he would have given us wings.
grin

4 Likes

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by DeepSight(m): 2:36pm On Aug 04, 2015
texanomaly:
Artificial intelligence is based on learning. Any information an A. I. already knows is simply what was programmed into it. Anything after that would be "learned" knowledge and behavior. Isn't this how all intelligent life learns? Basically artificial intelligences are bound by the same environmental, educational and religious backgrounds as the rest of us. Just like we learn religion from our parents, these beings will learn from what they are exposed to. If artificial intelligence was actually created it would still learn the way we do. Maybe faster, but anything imbedded from the start is not "intelligence". It is a program. From a scientific viewpoint, for all intents and purposes, these beings would be children. They would learn just like us. We are a product of what we are exposed to, plain and simple.

From a religious and personal point of view, there is a difference between a creation and something engineered. That may not make sense, but it is an opinion.

GBAM!
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by DeepSight(m): 2:41pm On Aug 04, 2015
davien:
I personally believe that A.I can attain human-like behaviours and emotions...it is ever-approaching that level today..
Once you have an A.I of sufficient complexity that is well-programmed with algorithms for self-awareness in regards to it's environment,a defined concept of success/failure and good/bad,with a fluid application to acquire/engage and test out unknown real-world situations towards living and non-living things...

The Turing test have over the years been passed by many A.I and there's even an A.I in china that retains and asks real-world questions after attaining bits of information...although the question of whether it truly knows what it's saying rather than following a programme is a tough one.. But then again humans also are predertimined by "programmes" like neurones,hormones all in a brain that dishes out what we do...so who is conscious?

The bold sorts you out. Human-like. Not Human.

These silly questions about asking robots questions are actually unimaginably silly - for the simple reason that any robot can be programmed to give the desired answer of any experiment.

Do you people actually ever look beyond your noses?
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by DeepSight(m): 2:46pm On Aug 04, 2015
texanomaly:

The bolded makes it still just a program

This statement brings us back to what Uyi said. It all depends on how you define consciousness.

Still programmed.

Which makes me think about the myriad of movies where "self aware" machines make choices based on logic alone, and do not take any extenuating circumstances into consideration.

I read somewhere that artificial intelligence should not be confused with consciousness in the sense of qualia. I agree with this.

Oh my love!
On point as always.

The mindful soul that shames the empty vaunt of assumed intellect!

That you are!

1 Like

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by DeepSight(m): 2:48pm On Aug 04, 2015
davien:
Well your beliefs can't tell the truth of things no matter how strongly. .the evidence speaks for itself and so far A.I can intelligently mimick a human to certain extents which can be improved upon in the near future.

You are much more st.upid and unschooled than I ever expected.
How old are you?
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by texanomaly(f): 3:38pm On Aug 04, 2015
DeepSight:

Oh my love!
On point as always.

The mindful soul that shames the empty vaunt of assumed intellect!

That you are!

kiss kiss kiss
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by davien(m): 3:41pm On Aug 04, 2015
DeepSight:

The bold sorts you out. Human-like. Not Human.

These silly questions about asking robots questions are actually unimaginably silly - for the simple reason that any robot can be programmed to give the desired answer of any experiment.

Do you people actually ever look beyond your noses?
So what's your point?...In as much as anything artificial mimicks natural things in one way or the other...or you also want something that's meant to be an imitation to be 100℅ what is copied?.... undecided

And I agree with the bolded,answers don't poof out of nowhere,they are gotten from learnt data...the same way you could never answer 2+2 without first being exposed to the definitions of each term and the desired outcome....so first,A.I would also learn what answers best suit certain questions...this is the first step.

1 Like

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by davien(m): 3:43pm On Aug 04, 2015
DeepSight:

You are much more st.upid and unschooled than I ever expected.
How old are you?
Old enough not to resort to insults to pass a point,how old are you by the way?....5?....12?

Why not address the post instead of rousing ad hominems about the place...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 3:47pm On Aug 04, 2015
Deepsight, stop making a nuisance of yourself.

Make your own arguments and leave out the buttkissing
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by DeepSight(m): 4:21pm On Aug 04, 2015
davien:
Old enough not to resort to insults to pass a point,how old are you by the way?....5?....12?

Why not address the post instead of rousing ad hominems about the place...

Yawn.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by DeepSight(m): 4:24pm On Aug 04, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:
Deepsight, stop making a nuisance of yourself.

Make your own arguments and leave out the buttkissing

Hmmmm. Another unteachable mind.
Please retain the slight respect you have while it lasts.

I have no time for thoughtless dolts.
(And I don't think you are one - - - you have always appeared quite thoughtful and measured to me).

So stop being silly, my friend.

There is no such thing as a self conscious [emotional] robot.

Davien himself used the words "mimics" humans.
This says enough already.

Do i need to write an epistle on that point alone?

Haba?
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by davien(m): 4:25pm On Aug 04, 2015
Here are a few easter eggs to what I've been saying throughout...much to the annoyance of some people.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/05/150512075107.htm

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2015/04/150406153036.htm
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by Image123(m): 4:25pm On Aug 04, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:
I watch a lot of science fiction movies and it is a very common in sci-fi literature to find plots woven around the consequences of human creating robots capable of Artificial Intelligence.

But this is no more fiction as scientists are coming closer and closer to making very intelligent robots which might be able to question their own existence.

I have been really thinking about this issue and what it means for christianity. As a Christian, humanoid-looking robots with AI functionality creates a serious challenge for my faith. It raises questions about what it means to be a “creation” and it also creates an ethical homework in which we as Christian have to figure out how to treat robots fairly, as they become our fellow conscious beings. Yes, treating robots like humans will become an issue because scientists tend to make robots look as human as possible and so, there might be a time where humans might be indistinguishable from robots.

Here is a list of questions that an inquisitive Christian would probably ask as a result of robots having AI-

-Do we as human beings become more “God-like” since God created us in His own image and we have created robots in our own image?

-Would sex with robots be considered bestiality or perverted from a Christian point of view?

-Would robots have souls? Would they be judged on judgement day?

-Should robots have human rights? Or would they be “robot rights”

-Can a robot be a pastor or reverend father since we already have robot factory workers?

-Should robots eat Holy Communion?

-Can a human get married to a robot?

-Should robots be baptized or granted church membership?

What do you think about these questions? Would conscious robots challenge your faith?

Also check this out- http://allnaijablog.com/what-are-the-religious-implications-of-artificial-intelligence

cc
TheHomer
Tosyne2much
Ishilove
Lalasticlala
Plaetton
Image123
johnnydon22
Standd
onetrack
dapo777

Sorry i'm late for the meeting cheesy cheesy cheesy . Robots are not humans, they are not even animals. They don't have life, they run on Operating System(OS) like your phone. They need updates, they need new versions. They don't eat, they don't grow, they don't die, they cannot go to heaven or hell. They remain robots. i'm not doubting or putting down their intelligence or accuracy. My calculator does a lot of stuff i cannot compete with, but i cannot hold it in regard above any human being. Simulation, ARTIFICIAL intelligence is not the same as to love, live and die. Robots don't feel the pain, the joy, the emotions we feel, they can only simulate it or be programmed to do them. Any other questions, or questions i did not touch on that you still need that i touch?
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by DeepSight(m): 4:28pm On Aug 04, 2015
davien:
So what's your point?...In as much as anything artificial mimicks natural things in one way or the other...or you also want something that's meant to be an imitation to be 100℅ what is copied?.... undecided

And I agree with the bolded,answers don't poof out of nowhere,they are gotten from learnt data...the same way you could never answer 2+2 without first being exposed to the definitions of each term and the desired outcome....so first,A.I would also learn what answers best suit certain questions...this is the first step.

. . . . . . . And if humans were anything comparable to the bold, humans would certainly not need to go through life-school at all!

Lol.

But did you get that?

I doubt it.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by DeepSight(m): 4:36pm On Aug 04, 2015
DeepSight:

. . . . . . . And if humans were anything comparable to the bold, humans would certainly not need to go through life-school at all!

. . . . . and nor world dogs. Nor would cats. Nor would birds. Nor would turtles. Nor would anything with the breath of life that moves and creeps upon the earth!

Ah - - - The breath of life! Another point!

Would the best AI have the breath of life?

Lol.

Both points in this post may be lost on you though.

But in your dreams at night, summon them.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by davien(m): 4:38pm On Aug 04, 2015
DeepSight:

Lol.

But did you get that?

I doubt it.
I understand that you mean situational learning...

A.I's over the years have been progressing in this aspect..
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by DeepSight(m): 4:41pm On Aug 04, 2015
davien:
I understand that you mean situational learning...

A.I's over the years have been progressing in this aspect..

Nope. That's not what I mean.

Have you ever watched a dog give birth to its pup and see how instantly the pup makes towards the breast that it (should) not know is there and grabs to it for life?

Mind you, this pup cannot even see at the time, its eyes are firmly closed and it is a stranger in the world, knowing NOTHING.

Is that situational learning?

Ol boy.

Think harder.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by davien(m): 4:43pm On Aug 04, 2015
DeepSight:

. . . . . and nor world dogs. Nor would cats. Nor would birds. Nor would turtles. Nor would anything with the breath of life that moves and creeps upon the earth!

Ah - - - The breath of life! Another point!

Would the best AI have the breath of life?

Lol.

Both points in this post may be lost on you though.

But in your dreams at night, summon them.
This is sadly pathetic...
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by DeepSight(m): 4:45pm On Aug 04, 2015
^^^ Turtles that are born from eggs and abandoned in the sand walk straight to the sea once hatched.

Birds will fly with magnetic traction towards the places in the earth that provide their food according to the season, even new birds.

All of this wonderful grandeur you dare to compare to the infantile technology of mankind.

I COMMAND YOU: SHUT UP: AND PAY RESPECT TO THE GOD THAT WE ARE MADE FROM.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by DeepSight(m): 4:46pm On Aug 04, 2015
davien:
This is sadly pathetic...

Of course! to some wonderful atheistic scientists the very breath of life itself is a pathetic random meaningless happenstance!
Ain't that pathetic?

STFU and revere GOD.
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by AllNaijaBlogger(m): 4:48pm On Aug 04, 2015
DeepSight:

^^^ Turtles that a born from eggs and abandoned in the sand walk straight to the sea once hatched.

Birs will fly with magnetic traction towards the places in the earth that provide their food according to the season, even new birds.

All of this wonderful grandeur you dare to compare to the infantile technology of mankind.

I COMMAND YOU: SHUT UP: AND PAY RESPECT TO THE GOD THAT WE ARE MADE FROM.

Lord Commander DeepSight

Protector of the 7 Realms
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by davien(m): 4:53pm On Aug 04, 2015
DeepSight:

Nope. That's not what I mean.

Have you ever watched a dog give birth to its pup and see how instantly the pup makes towards the breast that it (should) not know is there and grabs to it for life?

Mind you, this pup cannot even see at the time, its eyes are firmly closed and it is a stranger in the world, knowing NOTHING.

Is that situational learning?

Ol boy.

Think harder.
yes it is,It's a biological action that is present in mammals that breast-feed...a defective pup(retard) would not possess such a quality and would lose to those that do.. So nature rewards the ones better at the function and they produce offspring that can also perform it.....it's in the genes you could say
Re: What Will It Mean For Religion When Humans Create Conscious Robots? by DeepSight(m): 4:54pm On Aug 04, 2015
AllNaijaBlogger:

Lord Commander DeepSight

Protector of the 7 Realms

Humour at last. Lolz.
No vex for me o.

E get as spirituality dey do me these days. I see things so clearly. I wonder why people argue over simplicities.

The suggestion that a robot may be self conscious as a human - and worse - the implicit suggestion that there was therefore no necessary spirituality behind the coming into being of humans (and indeed the world) is the worst form of intellectual, intuitive and spiritual death.

In terms that will speak to them: it is plain daft.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Is Masturbating With Images Of Your Spouse In Your Head A Sin? / Shiloh 2015: Updates & Full Transcript Of Bishop David Oyedepo's Messages / Voodoo: Do You Believe In It?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.