Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,638 members, 7,801,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:53 AM

Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child (90531 Views)

Is Low Self Esteem A Result Of Parental Upbringing Or Personality? / Parental Guide:the Rape Of Teenage Girls And Minors In Nigeria / Bringing Up A Multilingual(4) Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (44) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 7:15pm On Mar 29, 2009
*Hauwa*:

let me ask this question for everyone of us who will be future parents and for those who are already parents.

How Do You Teach Young Boys To Be Gentlemen?
At What Age Should We Start?

Very Early, I tried it on my baby cousin.

Before he passes by someone, he taps and points.
He carries his plate to the sink and cleans up afterwards.
He listens and does what you ask him to do (except in Church angry )
He's even trying to wear his own clothes.
He tries to help as much as possible.

For a boy younger than 3, I'd say he's trying wink
It's now up to his parent to keep it up while I'm not there.

Don't baby them too much, trust me, it's never too young to start.

@SisSY and Hauwa, Happy Sunday tongue
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 7:17pm On Mar 29, 2009
*Hauwa*:

let me ask this question for everyone of us who will be future parents and for those who are already parents.

How Do You Teach Young Boys To Be Gentlemen?
At What Age Should We Start?

start from i'd say elementary cox the early the better but then you got to define what constitutes a gentleman in your view and start teaching it to them in a way that they be able to understand. it is never too late. there is no age too early to start teaching them good manner as long as they can talk wink

@ Ebony-Silk

happy sunday to u too baby wink wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 11:22pm On Mar 29, 2009
~Sissy~:

start from i'd say elementary cox the early the better but then you got to define what constitutes a gentleman in your view and start teaching it to them in a way that they be able to understand. it is never too late. there is no age too early to start teaching them good manner as long as they can talk wink

@ Ebony-Silk

happy sunday to u too baby wink wink

What ways can you make them understand?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 12:32am On Mar 30, 2009
@ all,

I am sorry I havent been able to keep up with the momentum.

@Ebony, let me add to the things u said about sex education. Contrary to ur own experience, my mum actually told me that if a guy touches me at all I will be pregnant. Imagine the way I act when i get on a bus. . .lol.

Well, u said most of the important things. The aspect that may not work after a while is when u scare them by saying u will beat d hell out of them when u see them with boys. I have always been d tomboy type. I loved hanging around my male cousins until it backfired one day and I learnt my lesson. Lol.

I believe every parent should teach his or her child comportment in addition to the sex education. Like sitting habit, sleeping habit and so on. I guess this will reduce the level of sexual harrasment and early sexual activities among kids.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 12:40am On Mar 30, 2009
How do u teach young boys to be gentlemen?

1. D father will be a very good example if he is also a gentleman.

2. Teach them simple courtesy. Good manner of approach, politeness, proper table manners, the 3 magic words . . .

3. Teach them never to hit a lady

4. Instil a sacrificial spirit in them. Always willing to help and assit others.

That is all i have for now.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 12:44am On Mar 30, 2009
@Sissy, i agree with ebony. U are well enlightened in matters concerning children.

Question: is it proper to dress in front of kids?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 1:27am On Mar 30, 2009
Tgirl4real:

@Sissy, i agree with ebony. U are well enlightened in matters concerning children.

Ehrrrrm no!

I mad that mistake and my cousin has been touching some places.
That is not cool, mehn.

Tgirl4real:

@Ebony, let me add to the things u said about sex education. Contrary to ur own experience, my mum actually told me that if a guy touches me at all I will be pregnant. Imagine the way I act when i get on a bus. . .lol.

Well, u said most of the important things. The aspect that may not work after a while is when u scare them by saying u will beat d hell out of them when u see them with boys. I have always been d tomboy type. I loved hanging around my male cousins until it backfired one day and I learnt my lesson. Lol.

I believe every parent should teach his or her child comportment in addition to the sex education. Like sitting habit, sleeping habit and so on. I guess this will reduce the level of sexual harrasment and early sexual activities among kids.
Same here grin grin

What my mom only told me was, "I will not take care of any baby, just be ready to move out". That got to me because I know she ain't playing.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 1:31am On Mar 30, 2009
Tgirl4real:

2. Teach them simple courtesy. Good manner of approach, politeness, proper table manners, the 3 magic words . . .

4. Instil a sacrificial spirit in them. Always willing to help and assit others.

good points!
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 1:56am On Mar 30, 2009
Tgirl4real:

@Sissy, i agree with ebony. U are well enlightened in  matters concerning children.

thnks gurl, the little ones just make ma heart melt cry cry cry cry cry

well, it depends on the age of the child.

under 3 and gals i say yes,  and i do sometimes bath with them, they could hardly know anything lipsrsealed grin

3-5yr  they can only see me topless.  

IMO, i think it really depends on how comfortable the person is with the act, some folks stop when they start feeling uncomfortable with it.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 1:57am On Mar 30, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

Ehrrrrm no!

I mad that mistake and my cousin has been touching some places.
That is not cool, mehn.
Same here grin grin

LOL, yea dats not cool at all cheesy cheesy grin grin
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 1:58am On Mar 30, 2009
~Sissy~:

under 3 and gals i say yes, and i do sometimes bath with them, they could hardly know anything lipsrsealed grin
No, I don't think so.
By two years of age, they start imitating everything they see and hear.

They might not know exactly what it is, but they'd imitate it. Until it becomes a habit.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 2:17am On Mar 30, 2009
thats more of the reason why i think when you start feeling uncomfortable with it, then stop, but in IMO, 3 yrs is okay
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 2:18am On Mar 30, 2009
i meant under 3yrs grin grin

oh my, can Seun plz return the modify button angry angry
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 2:27am On Mar 30, 2009
rotflmao. . .

Ok, I have a little problem. My terrible two over here keeps taking off is clothes. Thing is, he wants to take it off and learn how to wear it himself. He takes off the diaper, hispants and sirt.
I put it back on, but no!!! He takes it again.

How do I STOP him?
I mean, I wouldn't mind, but he keeps crying when he can't put it back on! urggggg
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 2:28am On Mar 30, 2009
I mean, his pants and shirt*
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 2:48am On Mar 30, 2009
Ebony-Silk:

rotflmao. . .

Ok, I have a little problem. My terrible two over here keeps taking off is clothes. Thing is, he wants to take it off and learn how to wear it himself. He takes off the diaper, hispants and sirt.
I put it back on, but no!!! He takes it again.

How do I STOP him?
I mean, I wouldn't mind, but he keeps crying when he can't put it back on! urggggg

he is playing stubborn, may just to show you that he can think for himself and that he can assert his thoughts and beliefs. i suggest maybe you just allow him to put it himself, even if he cant do it, allow him to do it and when he cant do it and start crying, , then do it for him by showing him how to do it. just make sure you show him how you do it . if not there will be no peace LOL grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 2:51am On Mar 30, 2009
how do you get them to eat their veggies?

i mean trying to get them to eat their vegetables can be a war between IRAQ and IRAN embarassed

any fun ideas embarassed embarassed
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 2:58am On Mar 30, 2009
~Sissy~:

he is playing stubborn, may just to show you that he can think for himself and that he can assert his thoughts and beliefs. i suggest maybe you just allow him to put it himself, even if he cant do it, allow him to do it and when he cant do it and start crying, , then do it for him by showing him how to do it. just make sure you show him how you do it . if not there will be no peace LOL grin grin cheesy cheesy
I let him!!

But the thing is, after trying and trying, he starts crying.

Then I put it on for him AND show him, the next thing you know, he takes it off again. You see him running around the house naked. I gave up grin

You know he almost got me arrested today. There's a studying table by my window. The window curtain was open right, so he climbed on the table with nothing on and stared and waved at ppl passing by. I beat the nonsense out of him angry angry

~Sissy~:

how do you get them to eat their veggies?

i mean trying to get them to eat their vegetables can be a war between IRAQ and IRAN embarassed

any fun ideas embarassed embarassed

Oh oh that.
Mehn, hmmm, I odn't know. embarassed embarassed
Maybe you should feed them more gerber baby veggies while they're growing so they can get used to it.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 4:55am On Mar 30, 2009
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by chamotex(m): 9:26pm On Mar 30, 2009
Tgirl4real:

Hmmn so I am actually a gentleman.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 9:32pm On Mar 30, 2009
Lol @ Chamo. Did I describe someone?

@Ebony, ur lil bruv is certainly one big character. Lol. He is so funny. Iyalode needs to read this so she would know d kinda guy she is tripping for. Hehehe
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by chamotex(m): 9:40pm On Mar 30, 2009
Tgirl4real:

You couldn't have described me better.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Tgirl4real(f): 9:49pm On Mar 30, 2009
Hmm. . . I know u are a gentleman jare.

@Sissy, i got no ideas on d veggies o
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 9:59pm On Mar 30, 2009
Tgirl4real:

@Ebony, ur lil bruv is certainly one big character. Lol. He is so funny. Iyalode needs to read this so she would know d kinda guy she is tripping for. Hehehe
Rotflmao. . . .no mind Iyalode jare. grin grin

He's my cuz, actually. My lil brother is worse, but I still love them die kiss kiss kiss

@Post
After Pregnancy, what kinda food is recommended for the mother, to help nourish her baby through breastfeeding?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 12:58am On Mar 31, 2009
@ Ebony

Food group Number of Serving

Grains 7 to 11

Vegetables 4 to 5

Fruits 3 to 4

Meat & Beans 3

Milk 3 to 4
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 1:00am On Mar 31, 2009
@Sissy, thanks wink

How do you get your child to be active? To join extracurricular activities?
If the child does not want to, do you force him to or. . . .what?
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 1:42am On Mar 31, 2009
if even they dnt want to join extracurricular activity in school well thats kinda their choice, but at home especially if they are still in elementary school, or preschool. i'd suggest maybe finding out why they dont want to join any extracurricular activity, it could something you can easily conceive them to change their mind. if they dont want to join competitive sports, i suggest maybe try swimming, dancing, cycling, skateboarding, yoga, walking, etc. Find out their interests.

i think you should kinda make them do some exercise, if even they are reluctant. but dont force them, as in punishment. i'd suggest maybe limiting the TV time, and video game, computer time if they use one so that they would be forced to play outside. Establish a regular schedule for physical activity, catching ball, basketball, etc and maybe you should join them just to make it more energetic for it. but still i wouldnt let them go without doing some exercising
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 3:29am On Mar 31, 2009
~Sissy~:

if even they dnt want to join extracurricular activity in school well thats kinda their choice, but at home especially if they are still in elementary school, or preschool. i'd suggest maybe finding out why they dont want to join any extracurricular activity, it could something you can easily conceive them to change their mind. if they dont want to join competitive sports, i suggest maybe try swimming, dancing, cycling, skateboarding, yoga, walking, etc. Find out their interests.

i think you should kinda make them do some exercise, if even they are reluctant. but dont force them, as in punishment. i'd suggest maybe limiting the TV time, and video game, computer time if they use one so that they would be forced to play outside. Establish a regular schedule for physical activity, catching ball, basketball, etc and maybe you should join them just to make it more energetic for it. but still i wouldnt let them go without doing some exercising

Yes o, excercise, they must do.

But your plan works for only elementary school children. . . . but it works, that's all that matters wink
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by owoseyi: 3:38am On Mar 31, 2009
many parent do think in line with this topic
but are confused on what to do

many buy pankere (cane) to correct any anomaly practiced  by their child

to some they denied their child food.

even some give capital punishment

but for me i believe, or should beg the parent that

we should think on how we must be disciplined instead of thinking on how to discipline our child on any wrong doing.

by discipline yourself,
your child learn how to control himself.

children learn by imitation so what you give them is what they will return to you

remember ROI
return on investment.

thanks
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Nobody: 3:49am On Mar 31, 2009
Such a thoughtful post

owoseyi:

many parent do think in line with this topic
but are confused on what to do

many buy pankere (cane) to correct any anomaly practiced by their child

to some they denied their child food.

even some give capital punishment
ah ahn, kilo de? Is the child in the army? shocked shocked

owoseyi:

by discipline yourself,

children learn by imitation so what you give them is what they will return to you

remember ROI
return on investment.

thanks
True that
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by Sissy3(f): 4:27am On Mar 31, 2009
owoseyi:

but for me i believe, or should beg the parent that

we should think on how we must be disciplined instead of thinking on how to discipline our child on any wrong doing.

by discipline yourself,

this your plan while it sounds good, doesn't always apply in every case coz some or should i say many parents conduct themselves in a very good manner, very respectful, etc. but still their children are totally the opposite of them. remember, it takes a village to raise a child, even if the parents are disciplined, children can still learn how to be disrespect others etc. schools, friends, media, and the society as whole contribute to this. that's why i believe in disciplining the child.
Re: Parental Guide: Bringing Up A Child by owoseyi: 4:36am On Mar 31, 2009
yes! discipline is good. parent ought to be a role model

i agree with you. media and other means of communication often pollute the mind of our younger ones.

but there is a need for parents to be in control by first discipline them self. any parent that will loose control by first discipline himself will leave the control to the children, guest what
it will lead to disaster.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (44) (Reply)

My Mom’s Market List 1984: See How Far Nigeria Has Gone (Photo) / My Friend Is Sleeping With His 13-Year-Old Daughter / My Husband Doesn’t Want My Son To Come And Stay With Us

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.