Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:17 AM

Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) (56158 Views)

Pictures Of Onitsha Before The Civil War / Buhari With His Friends During The Civil War In 1969 (Throwback Photo) / A Place Saved From Erosion In Anambra: Before And After Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by brunofarad(m): 11:44am On Aug 03, 2015
Dengram we sing to You lux fiat
Dengram my alma mater

Lovesdaisied:
Dennis Memorial Grammar School, established 1925.
Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by pazienza(m): 11:45am On Aug 03, 2015
"They call us a
dot on the map," said General
Ojukwu, "and nobody's sure quite
where." Inside that dot were 700
lawyers, 500 physicians, 300
engineers, 8 million poets, 2
novelists of the first rank, and God
only knows what else -- about one-
third of all the black intellectuals in
Africa. Some dot. Those
intellectuals had once fanned out all
over Nigeria, where they had been
envied and lynched and massacred.
So they retreated to their
homeland, to the dot. The dot has
now vanished".

Even Ojukwu recognized that the greatest resources of Biafra were its human resources. And the same still holds true today.
http://journeytoforever.org/rrlib/biafra.html

9 Likes

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by SirShymexx: 11:46am On Aug 03, 2015
The few selected places looks massively underdeveloped and it is shocking that these pictures were taken in the 50s and 60s. Only God knows what the villages would have looked like, if the "cities" looked that rickety just 60 years.

The Biafran war was probably a blessing in disguise to erect better buildings. Nothing to celebrate here - just the legacy of underdevelopment colonisation left behind, while the colonists looted the whole country blind.

1 Like

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by Nobody: 11:46am On Aug 03, 2015
No wonder we produced Prof Eni Njoku and Prof Kenneth Dike, First vice chancellor of Unilag and first indegenious vice chancellor of University college ibadan
pazienza:
[b] Even at the time
when universal primary education
was first introduced, the percentage
of the population over seven years
of age who were literate was higher
in the East than in any other
Region: East, 10.6 per cent; West
9.5 percent; North, 0.9 percent.
Since 1959, the East has had more
teachers and pupils than any other
area of the country, with the
heaviest emphasis on primary
education. Figures for elementary
and secondary education indicate
that the approximate ratio of
teachers to population in 1963 was
1 to every 1,500 in the East, 1 to
every 2,500 in th West, and 1 for
every 10,000 in the north. Other
statistical data reveal how rapidly
the standard of living rose among
Ibos. The East had the most
extensive hospital facilities in the
country by 1965, the largest
regional production of electricity in
the country by 1954, and the
greatest number of vehicle
registrations by 1963. The economic
orientation of the Ibos was also
reflected through membership of
credit associations:in 1963 the East
had 68,220 individual members, the
west 5,776, and the north a mere
2,407 ." ''... His source was the
Annual Abstract of Statistics
( Federal Office of Statistics, Lagos,
1965) [/b]

3 Likes

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by obinnajr(m): 11:52am On Aug 03, 2015
Lovesdaisied:
Okedibia Chinwuba Onumba Orah of Aguleri. The last of the Ojenammuo dibias of Igboland. Supposedly the first to obtain a "dibias license" during the colonial administration.

Date unknown.

THE GREATEST NATIVE DOCTOR IN IGBO LAND THAT FORTOLD THE NUMBER OF SEEDS IN AN ORANGE THAT MADE THE COLONIAN MASTERS GAVE HIM CERTIFICATE FOR NATIVE DOCTOR ( ASAMBOBDO NDI DIBIA ). THE GREATEST ALUSI UMULERI OKE EBOH, MY GRAND DAD TOLD US YOUR STORY, EVEN CHEIF AKUNWATA OZOEMENA NWA NSUGBE IMMOTALIZED YOUR NAME IN HIS SONGS. AND I STILL REMEMBER THAT NAME < CHINWUBA >

1 Like

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by pazienza(m): 11:54am On Aug 03, 2015
DikeOha882:
I love this part the most . Mazi Paz, ana m ekele o, I love tapping from your ako n' uche in Duncan Mighty voice.

Nnaa, you are welcome. Igboland have lots of potentials, but until we free ourselves from the Odua-Arewa burden, we will stand no chance of realizing our potentials.

It's akin to a Sprint runner who started a race with 500kg of heavy stone tied to his feet, he is never going to win a medal.

Removing the 500kg does not guarantee him a medal, but it gives him a chance to compete favourably for a medal, it places his fate directly into his hands, whereas with the stone failure is guaranteed.

The sprinter is the Igbo nation, the 500kg stone is Arewa-Odua as represented by one Nigeria, the race is development in all aspects of national life.

Dalu nwanne.

11 Likes

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by pazienza(m): 11:57am On Aug 03, 2015
DikeOha882:
No wonder we produced Prof Eni Njoku and Prof Kenneth Dike, First vice chancellor of Unilag and first indegenious vice chancellor of University college ibadan

No no! Prof Eni Njoku and Kenneth Dike appointments were as a result of Zik's alliance with the North.

Lol! That's what the Arewa-Oduanistans keep telling themselves.

1 Like

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by coolzeal(m): 12:12pm On Aug 03, 2015
They was a time in the East when a teacher in his bicycle was highly respected and mark as a status.
Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by koboko69: 12:18pm On Aug 03, 2015
shamecurls:
That simply war antics. You can be fighting your enemy and still be giving him food.

Dont mind him. IsraeliAIRFORCE AKA Ngwakwe can not do without wailing. see as he is sounding like it wasn't the traitor Ojukwu that started the war. If you start a war, you have to live with the consequences of it. Its called a war...not a "fight"

1 Like

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by squaddy(m): 12:21pm On Aug 03, 2015
logica:
LOL. Millions right? How many Igbos had millions of pounds banked in the 60s? Wait, let's even start with thousands. How many had thousand banked? Wait a minute, let's start with hundreds. Maybe you don't know the average annual salary at the time was not even up to £20.
I'm surprised everyone allowed this monumental fallacy to slide through and two other nitwits actually liked it. You cannot distort history with your Amala narrative. Gone were those days when you goons run riot with false narratives and shove it down people's throats. The igbos dominated every sector of the economy before the civil war and that is a fact. In the military,education,marine,aviation,commerce,banking,you name it and you find the igbos at the top echelon calling the shots. Federal character was introduced into the Nigerian system because of the tendency of an Igbo man snapping up whatever position there is,based on merit.
The average annual salary at that time was not up to £20?? If I should call you a dolt,you would assume I just insulted you right

7 Likes

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by squaddy(m): 12:23pm On Aug 03, 2015
SirShymexx:
The few selected places looks massively underdeveloped and it is shocking that these pictures were taken in the 50s and 60s. Only God knows what the villages would have looked like, if the "cities" looked that rickety just 60 years.

The Biafran war was probably a blessing in disguise to erect better buildings. Nothing to celebrate here - just the legacy of underdevelopment colonisation left behind, while the colonists looted the whole country blind.
Please ignore this clown.

9 Likes

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by logica(m): 12:33pm On Aug 03, 2015
squaddy:

I'm surprised everyone allowed this monumental fallacy to slide through and two other nitwits actually liked it. You cannot distort history with your Amala narrative. Gone were those days when you goons run riot with false narratives and shove it down people's throats. The igbos dominated every sector of the economy before the civil war and that is a fact. In the military,education,marine,aviation,commerce,banking,you name it and you find the igbos at the top echelon calling the shots. Federal character was introduced into the Nigerian system because of the tendency of an Igbo man snapping up whatever position there is,based on merit.
The average annual salary at that time was not up to £20?? If I should call you a dolt,you would assume I just insulted you right
Your FATHER is a dolt. How much did your FATHER have in a bank in the 60s? Millions? Do I need to argue with you about what the average salary was in the 60s? That's why we have stats and that's why we have HISTORY. Both are apparently beyond your Neanderthal brain to comprehend.

2 Likes

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by SirShymexx: 12:39pm On Aug 03, 2015
squaddy:

Please ignore this clown.

Lol. So you honestly think that lone wooden lorry and rickety buildings are worth celebrating? I'm happy for you lol.
Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by ROYALD(m): 12:44pm On Aug 03, 2015
nice
Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by murphyibiam15(m): 12:45pm On Aug 03, 2015
Jaynec:
Luvly thread! I love reading historical events & the pix are so amazing. Proudly from the eastern Niger. Anambra na Enugu bu nwanne!
you can as well tell us about Enugu or Nsukka...i love historical events too
Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by Nobody: 1:01pm On Aug 03, 2015
[color=#006600][/color]
Tripleclick:
cheesy. NIGERIA SHOULD GIVE US SEA-PORT IN ONITSHA... DE R AFRAID WE MAY IMPORT ANODA WEAPON...PLZ WE NEED IT FOR BUSINESS...ONCE WE GT SEA-PORT WE WILL STOP CALLING LAGOS NO MANS'S LAND

My brother tell them oo.
But no worries very soon the see ports in calabar, akwa ibom and port Harcourt will be ready
Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by murphyibiam15(m): 1:06pm On Aug 03, 2015
SirShymexx:

you are just a hater....i can bet u that those old pictures of onitsha in the 60s are far better than present day ibadan with brown roofs..learn to appreciate the good things in people..

2 Likes

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by kritikali(m): 1:07pm On Aug 03, 2015
IdiAmin1:
Bia @op, why show pics of that dead man? You no wan mek I sleep this night abi. undecided

Looking at those nice pics, I say may God continue to punish the idiotic black scorpion, Muritala, Gowan, 0Bj and all those who had a hand in b1afra saga for their atrocities. Umu ekwensi chineke ga akpocha oku. angry

Sorry sir,u forgot to mention ojukwu.

1 Like

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by Nobody: 1:07pm On Aug 03, 2015
DankemzI:
Had it been East were allowed basic necessities, east would've been Nigeria's Commerce strong hold
If not for GeJ East won't have gotten an International Airport

And GeJ was truly building a second Niger bridge,...... But chief propagandist South West and Nothingners were denying the project

FIXED!

1 Like

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by Nobody: 1:14pm On Aug 03, 2015
[size=18pt]What Onitsha is as of 1962 is what South West is in 2015!

NO WONDER THE HATRED!
[/size]

6 Likes

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by Nobody: 1:15pm On Aug 03, 2015
Let there be LIGHT

shugacaneman:
LUX FIAT
Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by lotannam: 2:04pm On Aug 03, 2015
Lovesdaisied:
Okedibia Chinwuba Onumba Orah of Aguleri. The last of the Ojenammuo dibias of Igboland. Supposedly the first to obtain a "dibias license" during the colonial administration.

Date unknown.

wahoo! where did you get this pic ------ thats my grand father---- Chinwuba Orah Onumba na Ivite Aguleri
Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by Luckygurl(f): 2:13pm On Aug 03, 2015
Can we get the present pictures of Dennis Memorial Grammar school and Christ the king college Onitsha?

I bet the structures won't look half as nice as these.
Had we continued with the pace we were moving with before the war, I feel/ think this country will be much better than it is right now sad sad
Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by jpphilips(m): 2:14pm On Aug 03, 2015
shugacaneman:
LUX FIAT

Show the light
Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by onenaira3: 2:18pm On Aug 03, 2015
ilawanson44:
[size=18pt]What Onitsha is as of 1962 is what South West is in 2015!

NO WONDER THE HATRED!
[/size]

Hilariously enough that's what I thought too when I first saw the first pic. It somewhat reminded of that Ibadan pics chino posts. Just hilarious

1 Like

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by onenaira3: 2:22pm On Aug 03, 2015
Lovesdaisied:
Architect’s Model of Main Market Onitsha, 1952

Background: In 1949 the Onitsha Native Authority began a project of organizing market reconstruction, which met with approval by the Eastern Nigerian Government in 1952. In 1956 actual construction began.

Onitsha main market looks very organized. Wtf happened? Someone should send this drawing to that short governor of anambra. They should rebuild the market using this drawing. It's looks more organize. It actually looks like a shopping center strip you'll see in usa to me. It outline resembles it quite alot
Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by feedthenation(m): 2:26pm On Aug 03, 2015
History at its best.
Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by GODSBEAUTY(f): 2:32pm On Aug 03, 2015
interesting
Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by sunnyb0b0(m): 2:36pm On Aug 03, 2015
SirShymexx:

Can we have pictures of your town in the same era?
Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by Zonacom(m): 2:38pm On Aug 03, 2015
SirShymexx:

Idiat! Oyibo wannabe. I wonder what you are still doing on nairaland. Be gone already! Your pretence annoy me

3 Likes

Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by Nobody: 2:38pm On Aug 03, 2015
sunnyb0b0:

Can we have pictures of your town in the same era?

He claims to be from Lagos.
Re: Vintage Pictures Of Onitsha and Anambra (before The Civil War) by Nobody: 2:44pm On Aug 03, 2015
SirShymexx:

Well these pictures are of main "townships" in present day Anambra State. This is the best there is as far as that in Nigeria. The major "cities" in the East were Enugu, Port-Harcourt and Calabar.

For comparison, we can look at Abeokuta, Ogbomosho, Warri/Sapele, et al around the same time.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Nigeria 'sends' Warship To The Gambia,Jhammeh Declares 90-day State Of Emergency / Police Parade The Killers Of Alex Badeh (video) / A Governor Collected N500m New Notes From One Bank – El-rufai

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.