Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,222 members, 7,780,421 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:59 PM

The Descendant’s Tale - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Descendant’s Tale (670 Views)

Trips 18+ ( A Tale Of Love, Lust And Fate) / “ The Tale Of A Private Lesson Teacher” . / Blood For Blood:a Tale Of Treachery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Descendant’s Tale by dakkylove(f): 1:55pm On Aug 03, 2015
©

Nnamdi was a dreamer, in every sense of the word. He dreamt every night , sometimes his dreams made sense sometimes it didn’t. someone had once suggested he buy a book “titled the interpretation of dreams” he always brushed it off, some people were just dreamers. But tonight as he slept this dream was different, he sat in his old family house with his whole family, his father’s laughter rumbled round the house loudly as he rushed back to the dining room to catch the joke but just as he got near them the doors closed quickly, he tried to push it open but it wouldn’t bulge, then he heard his brother scream he pounced heavily at the door screaming his brothers name , beating hard at the door like a deranged animal that was when the phone woke him up.

He looked at the clock it was 4.00a.m angrily wondering who would be calling at that time he heard his best friend’s odibo’s voice “Nnamdi you have to get to the general hospital there is something wrong with your brother chudi” throwing the bed covers off and ignoring the naked body by his side he rushed to the hospital but it was too late his elder brother Chudi had died of a heart attack at the age of Thirty Five.the doctors could not explain the incident,
“his heart just stopped beating” the doctor muttered confused,
“I have never seen anything like that in my life” “one minute we were making our rounds sharing a joke the next minute your brother just slumped and died”

Nnamdi was numb, he couldn’t feel a thing , the memories of the dream haunted him, he looked at his best friend Odibo and saw a grown man crying like a baby but for him the tears would not come. Maybe it was because people in his family, people had a habit of dying off suddenly.

He remembered being a kid growing up in his country home of Abalaka in the Eastern part of Nigeria, every year someone died in his family. No one could explain it, it was like death visited each clan killing off all the males till there was no one left then IT moved to the next clan. He remembered the day they ran away from home. He was sixteen and they had received another news of death again. His mother came into their room and told them to pack, him, his brother and his sister Mary had stared at her as if she was mad because it was about 7.30 p.m, she suddenly screamed at them “pack your things we are leaving this cursed placed before you all die!!!” that had been 12 years ago, it was only later that they discovered their father had died that night. Their mum literally out of her senses had dropped them off with her sister’s family in Lagos and walked out of the house. That had been the last time they had ever seen their mother again,
so death was not new to him. staring at everybody for a few minutes he tapped his 6ft 2 best friend on the shoulder. “Odibo take me home I left a street girl in my house I don’t want her to clear my property before I get back.”

The funeral was bleak like most funerals, the fact that the rain wouldn’t stop pouring down would not help, his cousins and aunty stared at him with pity in their eyes. He had not shaved for three weeks since he heard about his brothers death and the beard was beginning to itch. Odibo stood by the officiating priest going over some last minute details whilst his eyes wandered to three pretty ladies with short dresses huddled at the far side of the church, they were probably one of Chudi’s friends, being a doctor attracted a lot of women so he was not surprised that most of Chudi’s friends here were ladies. If there was anything about the men in their family they were never short of female companions.

He looked at the time it was a quarter to two, if this rain did not stop they might have to bury his brother in the night and there was something wrong about that, his sister Mary walked in accompanied by three nuns, her eyes were red and swollen in contrast with the sparkling white nun’s outfit she wore. She came straight to him and for the first time in three weeks he cried, the tears flowed uncontrollably from his eyes as his sister hugged him. “get a hold of yourself ND we need to talk” she nodded to the priest and pulled him away from prying eyes into the priest’s office.

She went straight to the point “did you dream about this??” without waiting for an answer she continued “you have to go back to the village, uncle Moses wants to see you” “go back where?..” “listen you are now the only man left in our family, all uncle moses sons are dead, uncle Nnanna everybody is dead…its not normal and this must stop.” She held his hands and looked into his eyes. “you can stop it , I have prayed to God and I have seen IT”
“seen what?” Nnamdi asked staring into his sisters eyes as it widened with fear
“Death." she whispered ."and it ‘s large cloak cascades all over our family house, it is black, faceless and hungry , go home and chase it out.” With that she cleaned off her cloak and was out of the door, for the second time in a month Nnamdi was numb, whispering to himself in trepidation“ Death?”

The descendant's tale II-IV Currently on my blog for those that want to follow this story, i update every monday.

www.dakkylove.com

Please read and share.
Re: The Descendant’s Tale by dakkylove(f): 10:11am On Aug 10, 2015
I've uploaded Part V on www.dakkylove.com Please read , share and comment.
Re: The Descendant’s Tale by dakkylove(f): 11:15am On Aug 19, 2015
I've uploaded Part VI on www.dakkylove.com Please read , share and comment.
Re: The Descendant’s Tale by dakkylove(f): 2:43pm On Sep 16, 2015
So i ended the Tale which is in VIII parts on my blog on monday, i decided to post the end here. you can follow the tale from I-VIII on www.dakkylove.com

read and share comments pls.

[center]The Descendant's Tale VIII
[/center]

©

His doorbell woke him up, he had fallen asleep holding a bible in his hands, waiting for Odibo to call he had lost consciousness, he looked at the time it was 1.00 a.m . the bell chimed again

“who is that?” he asked
“its me odibo” he was relieved, he flung the door open
“guy I have been waiting for you” but the man standing in front of him was not his best friend anymore, he saw a crazy looking man with red eyes and torn clothes at his door step before he could ask odibo if he was ok he found himself being punched in the face.
“you bastard..you dirty sneaking bastard.” Nnamdi fell flat on his arm chair
“Odibo what?..” but he was not allowed to finish as Odibo hit him with another one straight in the ribs, doubling up in pain he staggered to the side missing another punch.
“you raped her didn’t you?? You just couldn’t control yourself.”
“raped who Lolita ?, I swear I didn’t touch her”
Odibo picked up the glass table and swung at him missing by inches, it was clear this was a re enactment of their ancestors fight many years ago and his best friend had come to kill him.

Mary filled with worry for her brother told everything to her parish priest,
”I am just scared he will do something hurtful to himself” she cried out, Rev Gabriel had been aware of the family troubles of Mary for a long time, she had always confided in him and even though her brother had not taken his advise and come to church for prayers he still felt there was something else he could do,
“you know what go and call me father Anthony lets go and pay a visit to your brother.”

That was six hours ago, Mary could not believe how many times their car had spoilt on the road to Nnamdi’s house, it was if something didn’t want them to get there on time. When the car refused to start for the fifth time Mary suggested they spend the night in a hotel since they had endured a lot of stress to get to Nnamdi's house, but father Gabriel insisted..
” No we must go, I have a bad feeling about this, we need to reach Nnamdi before it is too late.”
Hours later as they entered her brother’s compound she was surprised by what she saw, someone seemed to be throwing a street party at the end of the road so the whole street was blocked, the noise from the party was deafening but her brothers flat door was wide open, panicking they rushed upstairs to Nnamdi’s flat, bursting in they were surprised by what they saw, everywhere was scattered, broken glasses and bits of furniture lay everywhere,

“Nnamdi!!” Mary screamed in fear and that was when they saw Odibo rushing at them with a broken bottle, Mary screamed and ran out from fear, Father Anthony was not so lucky , Odibo stabbed him right on the arm screaming
“ you will all die , you will die.” That was when they saw that Nnamdi he had locked himself in the room, he suddenly ran out and broke a wooden chair on Odibo’s back, odibo went out flat.

Nnamdi sat down exhausted, he was bleeding from head to toe, Odibo had stabbed him with glass, hit him with table ornaments, it was crazy he thought he was going to die. his friend had been acting like a deranged animal, his sides were hurting everywhere he was just glad to be alive, they had tied Odibo to a chair with a rope so that he would not attack them when he regained consciousness, he remembered the old man’s words

“would your best friend forgive you anything?”
If not for his sister and the Reverend fathers he had no doubt Odibo would have killed him,
“your friend is possessed “ Father Gabriel announced after they had called the ambulance, Nnamdi nodded
“ I know he is and I know exactly the demon that has possessed him.”

Two weeks after the incident Nnamdi sat down in the church beside his best friend, they had performed a series of deliverance services on him and finally Odibo was getting better,
“ND I am really sorry I cant believe I gave you that ugly wound” Nnamdi stared down at his arm covered with bandages and shrugged
“it wasn’t you , I know you didn’t know what you were doing”
“I cannot believe me Odibo got engaged to some girl I met on the street..never” Thankfully Odibo could not remember anything else after picking up Lolita from the streets, they were not surprised when Lolita was nowhere to be found when they got back to Odibo's flat, all her clothes, perfumes everything was gone. It was as if she never existed. Nnamdi said his farewell to his friend and headed to his village.

Just like the last time he was there the driver carrying him almost hit the old man on the road, Agwu came out from nowhere with his stick on one side and the dwarf on the other..

”Ahh you made it back??’ Nnamdi got down from the car and knelt down in front of the old man crying
“its ok my son, you have the egg?” Nnamdi nodded,
“Take it back to the river side, my guide will show you the way.”

Abandoning his luggage and the driver Nnamdi followed the dwarf deep into the forest till they got to a thatched hut, The Dwarf pointed but Nnamdi knew exactly where to drop the egg, he had been to this place so many times in his dreams. There was an empty basket in the middle of the compound and Nnamdi dropped it there, just then it started raining and for the first time he saw the dwarf smile, turning around and running, he ran all the way back losing track of the dwarf along the way, as he ran across the bushes in the pouring rain Nnamdi had never felt so alive, he thought he heard someone singing deep in the forest but it was dark and he was in a strange place so he didn’t look back, if he did he would have seen a sad woman singing by the river side, her long black hair glistening wet in the rain and her sad eyes following his move, if he looked back he would have seen the old man staring her down and saying

“the feud has ended, everything is back where it should be now you have to let his blood go”
If he had looked back he would have seen the dwarf smiling in the rain and tying a rope round the woman’s neck. But Nnamdi did not look back, the future awaited for him, the living called his name he wanted to make it back in time to see his mother for they had received the good news..his mother was alive and well.

Moses was clear in his instructions to the boys,
“I know this gold exists because I have seen firsthand what it looks like, go deep in the forest and look for a boy/man, do not be afraid, bring that egg to me , we shall never know poverty again.”
Excited three young men went deep into the forest a huge fortune was waiting for them, they were going to be rich… in his cave Agwu shook his head with pity, as long as men remained greedy this fable would never end, the egg glistened in the hut waiting..waiting for the next man to make its prey.

The end.

(1) (Reply)

Love / Earn Money With Your Poetry Writing Skills / That Sunday Vibe.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.