Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,681 members, 7,801,962 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:03 AM

Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. (9455 Views)

7 Significant Numbers From The Bible / Anti-Christ Quotes from the Quaran / TB Joshua & Ayo Babalola Listed Among World’s Most Famous Prophets (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by winner01(m): 5:23pm On Aug 03, 2015
Below are some compilations on some quotes about the Bible. Some of these are from famous people, scholars, theologians, authors, mornachs and so on.

Napoleon , Emperor of the French (1804-1814), 1769-1821
“The gospel is not a book; it is a living being, with an action, a power, which invades every thing that opposes its extension, behold! It is upon this table: This book, surpassing all others. I never omit to read it, and every day with some pleasure.”

Pascal , French philosopher and mathematician, developed the modern theory of probability, 1623-1662
“I prefer to believe those writers who get their throats cut for what they write.”

Isaac Newton , English mathematician and scientist, 1642-1727
“We account the scriptures of God to be the most sublime philosophy. I find more sure marks of authenticity in the Bible than in any profane history whatsoever.”

Queen Elizabeth II
"To what greater inspiration and counsel can we turn than to the imperishable truth to be found in this Treasure House, the BIBLE?"

Queen Victoria (1819-1901)
"That Book, the Bible, accounts for the supremacy of England. England has become great & happy by the knowledge of the true God through Jesus Christ".

John D. Rockefeller – Worth = $ 663.4 billion (July 8, 1839 – May 23, 1937), the richest man the world has seen since King solomon, philanthropist, Bible study teacher.
"There is nothing in this world that can compare with the Christian fellowship; nothing that can satisfy but Christ.

Sir William Herschel (1738-1822)
"All human discoveries seem to be made only for the purpose of confirming more & more strongly the truth contained in the Sacred Scriptures".

Sir Ambrose Fleming (1849-1948)
"There is abundant evidence that the Bible, though written by men, is not the product of the human mind. By countless multitudes it has always been revered as a communication to us from the Creator of the Universe".

Sir Richard Steele
"Even the style of the Scriptures is more than human"
The BIBLE is a telescope between man and GOD; it is the rending of a veil"

Voltaire, French infidel, died 1778
- said that within 100 years of his time, Christianity would be swept away from existence and pass into the obscurity of history.
-Yet 50 years after his death, the Geneva Bible Society used his house and printing press to produce stacks of Bibles.

Robert Dick Wilson, fluent in more than 45 languages and dialects Concluded after a lifetime study of the Old Testament:
“I may add that the result of my 45 years of study of the Bible has led me all the time to a firmer faith that in the Old Testament, we have a true historical account of the history of the Israelite people.”

Mahatma Gandhi 1869-1948 Leadership of Indian independence movement, philosophy of Satyagraha, Ahimsa or nonviolence, pacifism
“You Christians look after a document containing enough dynamite to blow all civilisation to pieces, turn the world upside down and bring peace to a battle-torn planet. But you treat it as though it is nothing more than a piece of literature.”

The Cambridge History of the Bible
“No other book has known anything approaching this constant circulation.”

Sir Ambrose Flemming , British electrical engineer and inventor, 1849-1945
“We must not build on the sands of an uncertain and everchanging science…but upon the rock of inspired Scriptures.”

Jean Jacques Rousseau, French skeptic
“Jewish authors would never have invented either that style nor that morality; and the Gospel has marks of truth so great, so striking, so utterly inimitable, that the invention of it would be more astonishing than the hero.”

Patrick Henry , American Revolutionary leader and orator, 1736-1799
“There is a book worth all other books which were ever printed.”

President Ronald Reagan, 40th President of the United States
“Of the many influences that have shaped the United States into a distinctive nation and people, none may be said to be more fundamental and enduring than the Bible.”
“Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face.”

Cotvos
"We may seek GOD by our intellect, but we can only find Him with our heart"

President George Washington, First President of the United States
“It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and Bible.”

Jean Paul
"Without GOD there is for mankind no purpose, no goal, no hope, only a wavering future, an eternal dread of every darkness"

Immanuel Kant, German idealist philosopher, 1724-1804
“I believe that the existence of the Bible is the greatest benefit to the human race. Any attempt to belittle it, I believe, is a crime against humanity.”

Robert E. Lee, Civil War General who fought for the Southern Confederacy:
“In all my perplexities and distresses, the Bible has never failed to give me light and strength.”

Abraham Lincoln , 16th President of the United States, 1809-1865
“I am busily engaged in the study of the Bible. I believe it is God’s word because it finds me where I am.”
“I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given to man. All the good of the Savior of the world is communicated to us through the Book.”
“Take all that you can of this book upon reason, and the balance on faith, and you will live and die a happier man. It is the best Book which God has given to man(When a skeptic expressed surprise to see him reading a Bible)”
“But for this book we could not know right from wrong.”

Woodrow Wilson, 28th President of the United States, 1856-1924
“When you have read the Bible, you know it is the word of God, because it is the key to your heart, your own happiness, and your own duty.”

William Gladstone (1809-1898)
"I have known ninety-five of the world's great men in my time, and of these, eighty-seven were followers of the Bible. The Bible is stamped with a Specialty of Origin, and an immeasurable distance separates it from all competitors".

Martin Luther
"For some years now I have read through the Bible twice every year. If you picture the Bible to be a mighty tree and every word a little branch, I have shaken every one of these branches because I wanted to know what it was and what it meant".

Theodore Roosevelt , 26th President of the United States, 1858-1919
“A thorough understanding of the Bible is better than a college education. Almost every man who has by his lifework added to the sum of human achievement has based his lifework largely upon the teachings of the Bible".
"It is necessary for the welfare of the nation that men's lives be based on the principles of the BIBLE. No man, educated or uneducated, can afford to be ignorant of
the BIBLE"
"To educate a man in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"

D.L. Moody
"Sin will keep you from this Book. This Book will keep you from sin"

George Washington Carver
"The secret of my success? It is simple. It is found in the BIBLE,
"In all thy ways acknowledge Him and He shall direct thy paths"

Jeffrey E. Ramey
"Who decides what is right and wrong in the world? Who has the authority to define morality for all of creation? It is not the courts, congress, the media, public opinion, the "politically correct" police, the "tolerance" brigade or even the church. The only answer has been, is and always will be Jesus Christ. You can find His opinion on a great variety of subjects in His best seller... The Bible".

Dr. Robert Milikan
"I consider an intimate knowledge of the BIBLE an indispensable quality of a well educated man"

John Flavel
"The Scriptures teach us the best way of living, the noblest way of suffering, and the most comfortable way of dying"

Benjamin Franklin
"We have been assured, Sir, in the Sacred Writings, that 'except the LORD build the House, they labor in vain that build it', I firmly believe this; by our partial local interests; our projects will be confounded, and we ourselves shall become a reproach and a by word down to future ages"
"Here is my Creed. I believe in one GOD, the Creator of the Universe. That He Governs it by His Providence. That He ought to be worshipped"

1 Like

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by winner01(m): 5:24pm On Aug 03, 2015
William Ellery Channing
"The incongruity of the BIBLE with the age of its birth; its freedom from earthly mixtures; its original, unborrowed, solitary greatness; the suddenness with which it broke forth amidst the general gloom; these, to me, are strong indications of its Divine descent. I cannot reconcile them with a human origin"

Daniel Webster , American politician and noted orator, 1782-1852
“Education is useless without the Bible.”

Professor M. Montiero-Williams, former Boden prof. Of Sanskrit who spent 42 years studying Eastern books
Said comparing them with the Bible:
“Pile them, if you will, on the left side of your study table; but place your own Holy Bible on the right side–all by itself, all alone–and with a wide gap between them. For there is a gulf between it and the so-called sacred books of the East which severs the one from the other utterly hopelessly, and a forever…a veritable gulf which cannot be bridged over by any science of religious thought.”

John Wesley , British religious leader who founded Methodism, 1703-1791
“This book had to be written by one of three people: good men, bad men or God. It couldn’t have been written by good men because they said it was inspired by the revelation of God. Good men don’t lie and deceive. It couldn’t have been written by bad men because bad men would not write something that would condemn themselves. It leaves only one conclusion. It was given by divine inspiration of God.”

Werner Keller
“In view of the overwhelming mass of authentic and well- attested evidence now available, as I thought of the skeptical criticism which from the eighteenth century onward would fain have demolished the Bible altogether, there kept hammering in my brain this one sentence: The Bible is right after all.”

Hebert Hoover (1874-1964)
"There is no other book so various as the Bible, nor one so full of concentrated wisdom. Whether it be of law, business, morals etc...he who seeks for guidance...may look inside its covers & find illumination".

Friedrich Wilhelm Joseph von Schelling
"Only he who knows GOD is truly moral"

Robert Payne Smith
"The books of men have their day and grow obsolete. GOD's Word is like Himself, "The same yesterday, today and forever"

John Lea
From the Greatest Book in the World:
“It seems strange that the text of Shakespeare which has been in existence less than 208 years should be far more uncertain and corrupt than that of the N.T., now over 18 centuries old, during nearly fifteen of which it existed only in manuscript…with perhaps a dozen or twenty exceptions, the text of every verse in the N.T., may be said to be so far settled by general consent of scholars, that any dispute to its readings must relate rather to interpretation of the words than to any doubts respecting the words themselves.
But in every one of Shakespeare’s 37 plays there are probably a 100 headings still in dispute, a portion of which materially affect the meaning of the passages in which they occur.”

Bernard Ramm
“Jews preserved it as no other manuscript has ever been preserved. With their massora they kept tabs on every letter, syllable, word and paragraph. They had special classes of men within their culture whose sole duty was to preserve and transmit these documents with practically perfect fidelity–scribes, lawyers, massorettes.” “In regard to the New Testament, there are about 13,000 manuscripts, complete and incomplete, in Greek and other languages, that have survived from antiquity.” “A thousand times over, the death knell of the Bible has been sounded, the funeral procession formed, the inscription cut on the tombstone, and committal read. But somehow the corpse never stays put.”
“No other book has been so chopped, knifed, sifted, scrutinized, and vilified. What book on philosophy or religion or psychology or belles lettres of classical or modern times has been subject to such a mass attack as the Bible? With such venom and skepticism? With such thoroughness and erudition? Upon every chapter, line and tenet?”
“ The Bible is still loved by millions, read by millions, and studied by millions.”

Horace Greeley, Editor and Politician
“It is impossible to enslave mentally or socially a Bible- reading people. The principles of the Bible are the groundwork of human freedom.”

Dr. Robert Milikan, former President of the California Inst. Of Tech. And Nobel Peace Prize winner
“I consider an intimate knowledge of the Bible an indispensable quality of a well educated man.”

Thomas Carlyle
"The Bible is the truest utterance that ever came by alphabetic letters from the soul of man, through which, as through a window divinely opened, all men can look into the stillness of eternity, and discern in glimpses their far-distant, long- forgotten home".

John Locke
"The BIBLE is one of the greatest blessings bestowed by GOD on the children of men -- It has GOD for its Author, Salvation for its end, and Truth without any mixture for its matter. -- It is all pure, all sincere; nothing too much; nothing wanting"

Thomas B. Macaulay
"Western literature has been more influenced by the BIBLE than any other book"

Henry Ward Beecher
"Sink the Bible to the bottom of the ocean, and still man's obligations to God would be unchanged. He would have the same path to tread, only his lamp and guide would be gone; the same voyage to make, but his chart and compass would be overboard!"

William Foxwell Albright, American Archaeologist and educator known for his excavations of biblical sites, 1891-1971
“The Bible towers in content above all earlier religious literature; and it towers just as impressively over all subsequent literature in the direct simplicity of its message and the catholicity of its appeal to men of all lands and times.”

Prof. Edward Meyer, University of Berlin, one of the greatest living authorities on ancient history
Concerning the Bible said:
“…There is no ground at all for refusing to accept these oldest traditions as historically trustworthy in all essentials, and in their chronological ordering of history.”

Francis Bacon , English statesman and writer, 1597 Called the Bible:
“The book of God’s word.”

Malcolm Muggeridge
"There's far more truth in the Book of Genesis than in the quantum theory"

Nachmanides
"This was the purpose of the whole creation, that man should recognize and know Him and give praise to His Name"

John Quincy Adams (1767-1848)
"The first & almost only book deserving of universal attention is the Bible. I speak as a man of the World. So great is my veneration for the Bible, that the earlier my children begin to read it, the more confident will be my hope that they will prove useful citizens of their country & respectable members of society. I have for many years made it a practice to read through the Bible once every year".

Mark Twain
“It ain’t the parts of the Bible that I can’t understand that bother me, it’s the parts that I do understand.”

Alexander Cruden
"All other Books are of little importance in comparison with the Holy Scriptures"

Dwight Lyman Moody
“Out of 100 men, one will read the Bible, the other 99 will read the Christian.”
“The Bible was not given for our information but for our transformation.”

Malcolm Muggeridge , British broadcaster, 1903-1990
“People say that the Bible is a boring book…but they don’t say that about Shakespeare, because the people who teach Shakespeare are zealous for Shakespeare.”

Victor Hugo , French writer, 1802-1885
“England has two books; the Bible and Shakespeare. England made Shakespeare, but the Bible made England.”

Salmon P. Chase
"There came a time in my life when I doubted the divinity of the Scriptures, and I resolved as a lawyer and a judge I would try the Book as I would try anything in the courtroom, taking evidence for and against. It was a long, serious and profound study and using the same principles of evidence in this religious matter as I always do in secular matters, I have come to the decision that the BIBLE is a supernatural Book, that it has come from GOD, and that the only safety for the human race is to follow its teachings"

Rufus Choate
"No lawyer can afford to be ignorant of the BIBLE"

Goethe , German writer and scientist, 1749-1832
“I look upon all four Gospels as thoroughly genuine, for there shines forth from them the reflected splendor of a sublimity proceeding from Jesus Christ.”

Franklin Rooselvelt (1882-1945)
The influence of the Bible in the early days of the Republic is plainly revealed in the writing & thinking of the men who made the nation possible...They found in the Scriptures that which shaped their course & determined their cause.

James W. Alexander
"The study of GOD's W-rd, for the purpose of discovering GOD's will, is the secret discipline which has formed the greatest characters"

Ulysses S. Grant (1822-1885)
To the influence of the Book we are indebted for the progress made in civilisation, & to this we must look as our guide in the future. The Bible is the sheet-anchor of our liberties.

Sir Frederic Kenyon, Director and principal librarian of the British museum, foremost expert on ancient manuscripts:
“The interval between the dates of original composition (of the N.T.) and the earliest extant evidence becomes so small as to be in fact negligible and the foundation for any doubt that the Scriptures have come down to us substantially as they were written has now been removed; both the authenticity and the general integrity of the books of the N.T. may be regarded as firmly established.”

Jim McCotter
“All Scripture is God-breathed and He doesn’t waste His breath.”

Søren Kierkegaard, Provocations: Spiritual Writings of Kierkegaard
“The Bible is very easy to understand. But we Christians are a bunch of scheming swindlers. We pretend to be unable to understand it because we know very well that the minute we understand, we are obliged to act accordingly.”

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by Scholar8200(m): 5:31pm On Aug 03, 2015
And there are NLers today that stand no where in rank,intellect,means, training or exposure to these named above, who claim, 'contradictions', 'myths' in the Bible,etc!!! I think those NLers are a graphic illustration of being wise in your own conceits!

1 Like

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by ammyluv2002(f): 5:33pm On Aug 03, 2015
Mehn, i love this! So cool

1 Like

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by graciousolo(m): 5:35pm On Aug 03, 2015
Before I opened it, I feared it was another agnostic/atheist fellow t is angry with God.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by trapQ: 6:50pm On Aug 03, 2015
if Isaac Newton the father of physics could acknowledge God and the bible, also Albert Einstein the greatest chemist could acknowledge GOD then all these atheists can go to hell

2 Likes

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by davien(m): 7:16pm On Aug 03, 2015
trapQ:
if Isaac Newton the father of physics could acknowledge God and the bible, also Albert Einstein the greatest chemist could acknowledge GOD then all these atheists can go to hell
Being Isaac Newton doesn't imply omniscience in everything,because said Isaac Newton also believed in the philosophers stone....do you?

And Albert Einstein never believed in a Christian god but a pantheistic one and often emphasized it as childish to hold to beliefs in the Bible...
I gave that here https://www.nairaland.com/1932478/reason-why-atheists-dont-cant#26856962

Plus Islam and greek cultures virtually brought most sciences does that make Islam or greek religions true?

3 Likes

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 03, 2015
winner01:

Cotvos
"We may seek GOD by our intellect, but we can only find Him with our heart"

To all the atheists out there.....

2 Likes

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by Nobody: 9:06pm On Aug 03, 2015
Thoniameek:

To all the atheists out there.....

Then who created your brain and why is it hard for god to reveal himself/herself/itself through a medium he/she/it created?

2 Likes

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by Nobody: 10:55pm On Aug 03, 2015
@OP - I think you forgot to add this very important 1 from Mark Twain. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by winner01(m): 1:20pm On Aug 04, 2015
Albert Baird Cummins
"The empire of Caesar is gone; the legions of Rome are smouldering in the dust; the avalanches of Napoleon hurled upon Europe have melted away, the prince of the pharoahs is fallen; the pyramids they raised to be their tombs are sinking every day in the desert sands; Tyre is a rock for bleaching fisherman's nets; Sidon has scarcely left a wreck behind; but the WORD OF GOD still survives: All things that threatened to extinguish it have only aided it; and it proves every day how transient is the noblest monument that men can build, how enduring is the least Word that GOD has spoken"

J. I. Packer
"One of the many divine qualities of the BIBLE is this: that it does not yield its secrets to the irreverent and censorious"

Kenyon A. Palmer
"GOD's Road Map -- The BIBLE"

Cecil B. DeMille
"After more than sixty years of almost daily reading of the BIBLE, I never fail to find it always new and marvellously in tune with the changing needs of every day"

Timothy Dwight
"The BIBLE is a window in this prison world, through which we may look into eternity"

Ernest von Dobschutz
"There is a small book: one can put it in one's pocket, and yet all the libraries of America, numerous as they are, would hardly be large enough to hold all the books which have been inspired by this one little volume. The reader will know what I am speaking of; it is the BIBLE, as we are used to call it -- the Book, the book of mankind, as it has properly been called"

Steve Maraboli; Life, the Truth, and Being Free
“Reading the Bible will help you get to know the word, but it’s when you put it down and live your life that you get to know the author.”

John Adams (1735-1826)
"The Bible contains more philosophy than all the libraries that I have ever seen, & such parts as I cannot reconcile with my little philosophy, I postpone for future investigation".

J. Hamilton
"The Word of GOD will stand a thousand readings, and he who has gone over it most frequently is the surest of finding new wonders there"

Emanuel Swedenborg
"We are, because GOD is"

Mark Victor Hansen
"With vision, every person, organization and country can flourish. The BIBLE says, ' Without vision we perish''"

Everett T. Harris
"No one ever graduates from BIBLE study until he meets the Author face to face"

Jack Hayford
"The BIBLE is ... as necessary to spiritual life as breath is to natural life. There is nothing more essential to our lives than the Word of GOD."

James McCosh
"The book to read is not one which thinks for you, but the one that makes you think. No other book in the world equals the BIBLE for that"

J. Vernon McGee
"GOD's Word is as good as He is. There is an old saying that a man is as good as his word. Well, GOD is as good as His Word. His character is behind what He has said."

John Wesley
“ I want to know one thing, the way to heaven: how to land safe on that happy shore. God himself has condescended to teach the way; for this very end he came from heaven. He has written it down in a book! Oh, give me that book! At any price, give me the book of God! I have it: here is knowledge enough for me. Let me be: “A man of one book.”

Time Magazine
"Reputable scholars now believe that the New Testament account is reliable history.”

Students of Natural Sciences
"We the undersigned, students of the Natural Sciences, desire to express our sincere regret that researchers into scientific truth are perverted by some in our own times into occassion for casting doubt upon the truth and authenticity of the Holy Scriptures. We conceive that it is impossible for the Word of G-D written in the book of nature, and G-D's Word written in Holy Scripture, to contradict one another ... physical science is not complete, but is only in a condition of progress" -- [Signed by 800 scientists of Great Britain, recorded in Bodelian Library, Oxford].

From the translators to the readers in the introduction to the original 1611 King James Bible.
"We do not deny, nay we affirm and avow, that the very meanest translation of the Bible in English, set forth by men of our profession, containeth the word of God, nay, is the word of God: as the King’s speech which he uttered in Parliament, being translated into French, Dutch, Italian, and Latin, is still the King’s speech, though it not be interpreted by every translator with the like grace nor peradventure so fitly for phrase, nor so expressly for sense, everywhere".

Isaiah 40:8 The grass withers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by Samunique(m): 2:08pm On Aug 04, 2015
@OP.
God bless you, more grace to u sir.

1 Like

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 04, 2015
theAtheist101:

Then who created your brain and why is it hard for god to reveal himself/herself/itself through a medium he/she/it created?

You know when a child asks an adult such questions that they know the child can only fully understand when they're grownup? No matter how much the adult tries to explain, the child only comes up with more questions.

My point exactly!? Grow up and you'll understand, and if you're grownup - catchup in understanding hearty matters

1 Like

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by Nobody: 4:09pm On Aug 04, 2015
Thoniameek:

You know when a child asks an adult such questions that they know the child can only fully understand when they're grownup? No matter how much the adult tries to explain, the child only comes up with more questions.

My point exactly!? Grow up and you'll understand, and if you're grownup - catchup in understanding hearty matters

What criteria did you use to gauge the age? And why is age paramount?

If age is so important, then, for instance, can a so called uneducated old man know all things than an educated child?
Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by winner01(m): 4:15pm On Aug 04, 2015
theAtheist101:

If age is so important, then, for instance, can a so called uneducated old man know all things than an educated child?
You must really be a kid....Have you never heard the saying " Experience is the best teacher".

1 Like

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by Nobody: 4:34pm On Aug 04, 2015
theAtheist101:

You didn't get me.

I didn't mean 'age' literarily

I meant - an understanding that comes with experience

I can tell (educate) you how I lost my dad, but that doesn't mean you fully understand how it feels (experience)
Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by Nobody: 4:35pm On Aug 04, 2015
winner01:
You must really be a kid....Have you never heard the saying " Experience is the best teacher".

Thank you for understanding me

1 Like

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by Nobody: 5:00pm On Aug 04, 2015
Thoniameek:

You didn't get me.

I didn't mean 'age' literarily

I meant - an understanding that comes with experience

I can tell (educate) you how I lost my dad, but that doesn't mean you fully understand how it feels (experience)

Oh, sorry! The loss of loved one can be so painful. I admit I lack your experience, but why would you be quick to associate your loss to the workings of a god? Was the deceased not a follower of your God? Then why would he choose to cut short his life? What was god trying to prove?

My dear, this life is full of challenges and everyone, regardless of belief, experience it. How we overcome it is what makes us. And as we do that, we shouldn't give in to fear, because fear makes us vulnerable.
Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by Nobody: 5:06pm On Aug 04, 2015
winner01:

And is it the only teacher? Why would you choose to ignore other teachers? Must you allow your experience overcome you? Would you live in fear all your life, because you are scared some deity could strike you again? You are the one would needs to grow up!
Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by Rilwayne001: 5:19pm On Aug 04, 2015
" "Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and tortuous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind; and, for my part, I sincerely detest it, as I detest anything that is cruel." - Thomas Paine

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by winner01(m): 5:38pm On Aug 04, 2015
theAtheist101:

And is it the only teacher? Why would you choose to ignore other teachers? Must you allow your experience overcome you? Would you live in fear all your life, because you are scared some deity could strike you again? You are the one would needs to grow up!
Which other best teacher do we have?. Yes, I have experienced God, my heart is overwhelmed.
We do not live in fear, we do not live without a lamp, we live in freedom.
You will grow up soon enough, you just need time.
Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by winner01(m): 5:51pm On Aug 04, 2015
Rilwayne001:
" "Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and tortuous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistent that we called it the word of a demon, than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind; and, for my part, I sincerely detest it, as I detest anything that is cruel." - Thomas Paine
thomas paine also said "I believe in one God, and no more; and I hope for happiness beyond this life"....

One can just hope he didnt receive his greatest shock beyond this life.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by winner01(m): 5:54pm On Aug 04, 2015
Samunique:
@OP.

God bless you, more grace to u sir.
Amen.
Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by Nobody: 7:30pm On Aug 04, 2015
winner01:
Which other best teacher do we have?. Yes, I have experienced God, my heart is overwhelmed.
We do not live in fear, we do not live without a lamp, we live in freedom.
You will grow up soon enough, you just need time.

Just claims that every other sect's members make! Me too have experienced god -- I even ate with him yesterday night.

We know you all live in the fear of your dreadful creator. The incentives you use to worship him is fear. You acquire new members through your evangelism of fear. In fact, many of you are scared of the air you breathe. The painful part is you lot don't provide any tangible explanation to the problems of life, but scare people into your useless belief. Grow your mind and stop living in fear. Ask pertinent questions of your religion and this would free you from your fears.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by dalaman: 7:44pm On Aug 04, 2015
Scholar8200:
And there are NLers today that stand no where in rank,intellect,means, training or exposure to these named above, who claim, 'contradictions', 'myths' in the Bible,etc!!! I think those NLers are a graphic illustration of being wise in your own conceits!

Most of the quotes above are mostly false or out-rightly ridiculous. For example

"There is abundant evidence that the Bible, though written by men, is not the product of the human mind. By countless multitudes it has always been revered as a communication to us from the Creator of the Universe".

This is demonstrably false because there is nothing written inside the bible that could not be written by people that lived at that time. Take the bible and any religious scripture or any book of philosophy from that era, compare them and you'll see that they are just the same. The bible reads exactly as the work of the period in which it was written.

1 Like

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by winner01(m): 7:47pm On Aug 04, 2015
theAtheist101:

Just claims that every other sect's members make! Me too have experienced god -- I even ate with him yesterday night.

We know you all live in the fear of your dreadful creator. The incentives you use to worship him is fear. You acquire new members through your evangelism of fear. In fact, many of you are scared of the air you breathe. The painful part is you lot don't provide any tangible explanation to the problems of life, but scare people into your useless belief. Grow your mind and stop living in fear. Ask pertinent questions of your religion and this would free you from your fears.
Nobody offers salvation but Jesus, No sect offers redemption but Jesus. In Him we live and have our being.

if the fear you mean is the fear of God, yes we fear Him. Fear as used in the Bible means consciousness of our Creator (Yirat Adonai). We have wisdom because the fear of God is the begining of wisdom, and wisdom is the principal thing. The existence of your maker is not probable neither is it debatable...You are because He is....Your senses that you are so reliant on for knowledge was given to you.

i hope you find what you seek soon.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by winner01(m): 7:54pm On Aug 04, 2015
dalaman:

Most of the quotes above are mostly false or out-rightly ridiculous. For example

This is demonstrably false because there is nothing written inside the bible that could not be written by people that lived at that time. Take the bible and any religious scripture or any book of philosophy from that era, compare them and you'll see that they are just the same. The bible reads exactly as the work of the period in which it was written.

Sir Ambrose Fleming was a very intelligent inventor, he recognized that the Bible was written by divine inspiration...Congratulations to you if you think otherwise...if most of the quotes are false, then probe it with facts or shut it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by Nobody: 9:11pm On Aug 04, 2015
winner01:
Nobody offers salvation but Jesus, No sect offers redemption but Jesus. In Him we live and have our being.

if the fear you mean is the fear of God, yes we fear Him. Fear as used in the Bible means consciousness of our Creator (Yirat Adonai). We have wisdom because the fear of God is the begining of wisdom, and wisdom is the principal thing. The existence of your maker is not probable neither is it debatable...You are because He is....Your senses that you are so reliant on for knowledge was given to you.

i hope you find what you seek soon.

Find? What am I looking for again after common sense. I hope you find it too.

1 Like

Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by winner01(m): 10:17pm On Aug 04, 2015
theAtheist101:

Find? What am I looking for again after common sense. I hope you find it too.
You are looking for answers. The senses you call common has been entrusted into your hands by the giver of senses. Make do with what you have before your appointed time.
Re: Quotes From Famous Men About The Bible. by dalaman: 10:27pm On Aug 04, 2015
winner01:
Sir Ambrose Fleming was a very intelligent inventor, he recognized that the Bible was written by divine inspiration...Congratulations to you if you think otherwise...if most of the quotes are false, then probe it with facts or shut it.

Show me any part of the bible that could not have been written by people that lived during that period.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The Pope Will Die Within A Year: Vatican's Assassination Fears Revealed / Should A Pastor Be Paid A Regular Month Salary? / Are Pastors Exempted From Paying Tithe?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 104
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.