Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,051 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:56 PM

It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls (41905 Views)

Naira Falls Towards N400-$1 As Electioneering Resumes / Chadians, Ghanaians, Others Storm Nigeria For Dollars-the Nation / Stopped. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Toktee(m): 9:24pm On Aug 03, 2015
Xetima:

Buyer, what are you doing with dollars? Lai Muhammed look alike.
young man,all fingers are not equal ok
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by docphresh(m): 9:24pm On Aug 03, 2015
Nice development I pray it continues... top 10 currencies in Africa @ www.afrikanfacts.com
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by stevecantrell: 9:26pm On Aug 03, 2015
Antiparticle:
While I'm somewhat indifferent about the tactics that Emefiele and the banking industry employ to protect the Naira, I am disappointed that he (Emefiele) spoke like an uninformed illiterate on a topic he should know more about.

It is absolutely not true that you will be arrested if you try to pay Pound Sterling or Euro into a US bank account. I really can't believe that this guy is the CBN governor! How clueless.

Usually if you try to pay Euro or Pound Sterling into a US bank account, the bank will either refuse it or convert it to US dollars at a rate of their choosing (and with your consent). I have done this before!

Wonders shall never end. Emefiele needs to read or talk to his counterparts abroad so he can learn. I weep for my country.

"You cannot go to the United States where the dollar is spent and try to pay pound sterling into an account, because you will be arrested. Neither can you go into the United States and carry Euros into that economy and tell them to pay it into an account for you; you will be arrested."

The truth is that you have Travellers Cheques that CAN be exchanged at any Thomas Cook or travel agent, bank or BDC in those countries.
Getting "Arrested" is an extreme and ridiculous term.

Kudos to him on the resurrection of his brain, though.

1 Like

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by abduljabbar4(m): 9:27pm On Aug 03, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:
omenka
passingshot
midolian
abduljabbar4
HungerBAD
koboko69
donphilopus

Another feat!!
And pdp was against Buhari's moves

1 Like

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by manny4life(m): 9:28pm On Aug 03, 2015
If they continue to stifle Forex, it's only a matter of time before the bubble burst.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Fourwinds: 9:31pm On Aug 03, 2015
SeverusSnape:
I will comment when they become equal.
don't we will tighten d blocus of PDP with barbwire very well.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Lasese: 9:40pm On Aug 03, 2015
Sorry for the 419ners
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by NgeneUkwenu(f): 9:44pm On Aug 03, 2015
MizMyColi:
This kind of news is relieving.
When I saw 250 to 1$ on the frontpage, I was worried.
I felt like nothing is working really.

But reading this is a silver lining.
It is worth celebrating.
I hope that the trend is continued.

I ask for more direction and clarity to those who have made this feat a possible one.

It is well with Nigeria.

Nice one from you!
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by mbulela: 9:47pm On Aug 03, 2015
Antiparticle:
While I'm somewhat indifferent about the tactics that Emefiele and the banking industry employ to protect the Naira, I am disappointed that he (Emefiele) spoke like an uninformed illiterate on a topic he should know more about.

It is absolutely not true that you will be arrested if you try to pay Pound Sterling or Euro into a US bank account. I really can't believe that this guy is the CBN governor! How clueless.

Usually if you try to pay Euro or Pound Sterling into a US bank account, the bank will either refuse it or convert it to US dollars at a rate of their choosing (and with your consent). I have done this before!

Wonders shall never end. Emefiele needs to read or talk to his counterparts abroad so he can learn. I weep for my country.

"You cannot go to the United States where the dollar is spent and try to pay pound sterling into an account, because you will be arrested. Neither can you go into the United States and carry Euros into that economy and tell them to pay it into an account for you; you will be arrested."

I actually cringed at his comments. I found then very pedestrian and extremely simplistic.

4 Likes

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Chinom(m): 9:47pm On Aug 03, 2015
[[s]quote author=Antiparticle post=36575165]While I'm somewhat indifferent about the tactics that Emefiele and the banking industry employ to protect the Naira, I am disappointed that he (Emefiele) spoke like an uninformed illiterate on a topic he should know more about.

[/s]

I was really not in the mood to post any comment on NL today, but your choice of words really pissed me off. In your simple, naive and moronic mind, you made a very intelligent statement. In reality, what you posted is complete garbage. Emefiele's use of the word ' Arrested' was just intended to drive home his point to stubborn Nigerians who insist on paying in Dollar into their accounts and withdrawing Dollar whenever they wish despite the fact that our national currency is the NAIRA.
What Nigerian banks are doing now is exactly what obtains in US and Europe. If you bring in your dollars or Euros, the bank will just convert it to Naira and credit your Naira account. If you do not like that, take your dollar to the parallel market, change it to Naira and come and deposit in your Naira account. That is a brilliant decision. It's the only way we can save, as well regain respect for our own currency.
I would like the banks to even go a step further and close all domiciliary accounts in foreign currencies.

Emefiele knows what he's doing. You, my friend, is just a phony dickhead.

8 Likes

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by titoetal(m): 9:48pm On Aug 03, 2015
breeze23:
He is talking of T/T. Can MasterCard or visa used to pay for T/T?

But there is alternative to money telegraphic transfer and that is electronic payment system. Though I know some merchant sites especially in China do prefer T/T but they do accept Western Union too which you can be initiated from Nigeria now. You do not need dollar to carry out such transanction just your naira equivalent.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Nobody: 9:48pm On Aug 03, 2015
If this is what it would take to make sure that Naira becomes stronger, well... I support it 100%.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by omenka(m): 9:54pm On Aug 03, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:
omenka
passingshot
midolian
abduljabbar4
HungerBAD
koboko69
donphilopus

Another feat!!
Ngene, see how they avoided this thread, guess what's happening on the other thread about directors in NIMASA- I've got 30 mentions so far on that thread alone!! cheesycheesy They are killing themselves over my post there which borders on truth and an honest advice while Baba is seen here breaking balls with his meticulous planning. grin

Buhari is indeed Godsent.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Yomboy4ever(m): 9:54pm On Aug 03, 2015
NgeneUkwenu:

https://www.thecable.ng/n209-1-appetite-dollars-falls

I know some people are regretting for not voting for baba but d devil inside them will nevr allow dem say it out just like der HE -GOAT D Clueless Drunken Master..

3 Likes

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Yazmin: 9:55pm On Aug 03, 2015
CR77:
As at today, dollars sell at 230 naira per dollar.

That a*boki wey sell am to you so don scam you big time....,dem dey sell 205 for my office today, dem no see who go buy.

.....in the meanwhile, a*boki, shine my shoe'..... grin > grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Nobody: 9:55pm On Aug 03, 2015
Thank God 0, God bless gmb Bleep GEJ nd okonjo iweala
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Yazmin: 9:56pm On Aug 03, 2015
ellabooz:
Why all this propaganda?
No go fight your malam for this cheap lies oh.

Lies everywhere

This guy is still living on friday.
When Monday don do for your side, come collect dollar @205, biko!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Nobody: 9:57pm On Aug 03, 2015
Bank cannot close all domiciliary accounts. Some companies (especially exporters) need domiciliary accounts to receive wire transfers from the U.S and they need it to cash dollar checks issued by U.S banks.

Chinom:
I was really not in the mood to post any comment on NL today, but your choice of words really pissed me off. In your simple, naive and moronic mind, you made a very intelligent statement. In reality, what you posted is complete garbage. Emefiele's use of the word ' Arrested' was just intended to drive home his point to stubborn Nigerians who insist on paying in Dollar into their accounts and withdrawing Dollar whenever they wish despite the fact that our national currency is the NAIRA.

What Nigerian banks are doing now is exactly what obtains in US and Europe. If you bring in your dollars or Euros, the bank will just convert it to Naira and credit your Naira account. If you do not like that, take your dollar to the parallel market, change it to Naira and come and deposit in your Naira account. That is a brilliant decision. It's the only way we can save, as well regain respect for our own currency.
I would like the banks to even go a step further and [size=18pt]close all domiciliary accounts in foreign currencies[/size].

Emefiele knows what he's doing. You, my friend, is just a phony dickhead.

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Adesiji77: 10:01pm On Aug 03, 2015
Let it fall, let it fall, let it fall... cool
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by conyema12(m): 10:06pm On Aug 03, 2015
manny4life:
If they continue to stifle Forex, it's only a matter of time before the bubble burst.

Pls kindly explain more on that.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by tallboo: 10:07pm On Aug 03, 2015
bettercreature:
You got screwed i sold it 200naira today so dont doubt it if they say its 209

@ bettercreature. ..Do you still av more dollars to sell...I need to buy at a good rate.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by rowlex7(m): 10:07pm On Aug 03, 2015
Slow n steady wins d race!!

1 Like

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by vicadex07(m): 10:11pm On Aug 03, 2015
Faraidi:
you must be zombie,how much did GEJ left it? Mumu
was he not the one that initiated the freefall by destroying our economy in the first place. The Naira started dwindling during his regime due to the countries over dependence on petroleum products alone as our major foreign exchange earner.

Had he put economic cushions in place, the naira wouldnt have experience a freefall as a result in the reduction or oil prices per barrel worldwide.

1 Like

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Chinom(m): 10:12pm On Aug 03, 2015
teeowl:
Bank cannot close all domiciliary accounts. Some companies (especially exporters) need domiciliary accounts to receive wire transfers from the U.S and they need it to cash dollar checks issued by U.S banks.

Wire transfers in Dollar will be converted into Naira and paid into those company's account. Face value of checks will also be cashed in Naira. Only the CBN should hold foreign currencies on behalf of money deposit banks.
You can't even hold an Euro dominated account in Great Britain despite it being a member of the EU. So why should we allow people to operate Dollar, Euro and Sterling accounts in Nigeria. We are killing our currency.
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by sketcherJ(m): 10:14pm On Aug 03, 2015
Is dis a feat of buhari? Or isn't it circumstantial..banks just got a little wiser!!its good though!did buhari release a presidential proclamation for banks to stop accepting dollars?..it could have happened under any 1,s regime?....._ u are all shouting sai buhari..I am just laffing at u..don't get me wrong..I don't hate buhari..I dislike false pretences u people are showing!!!
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by sketcherJ(m): 10:16pm On Aug 03, 2015
omenka:
Ngene, see how they avoided this thread, guess what's happening on the other thread about directors in NIMASA- I've got 30 mentions so far on that thread alone!! cheesycheesy They are killing themselves over my post there which borders on truth and an honest advice while Baba is seen here breaking balls with his meticulous planning. grin

Buhari is indeed Godsent.
are u sure?
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by mavinc4u(f): 10:17pm On Aug 03, 2015
This is suppose to be a good news but seriously it is not. I wonder why people find it difficult to decode what is happening. The official rate is still N199 so what is the fuss. All these rates are only falling at the parallel market where you can buy but cannot deposit into your bank account. Infact the bank card rate has gone up as a result of this. onye di ya si na akwa oria gbakee nwa ya anwuo, onye ahu ogbakeela. (A woman that her husband recuperated from an illness and her son dies, has that woman recovered from shock)? Even the almighty stanbic that was charging the least N199.5 in using bank card has gone up to N207. You guys should try and decode before making noise.

5 Likes

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by bettercreature(m): 10:19pm On Aug 03, 2015
tallboo:

@ bettercreature. ..Do you still av more dollars to sell...I need to buy at a good rate.
No! i sold everything
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Realdeals(m): 10:23pm On Aug 03, 2015
gonon:

Dude, any idea of pound to Naira and where did you buy your dollars? Lag abi Abj?

Pound N263, Lagos airport BDC

1 Like

Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Realdeals(m): 10:27pm On Aug 03, 2015
CR77:
You are a big time liar
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Ahmed4002(m): 10:33pm On Aug 03, 2015
directonpc:
Good! Shopping from online stores loading...

Ea pius
Re: It’s N209 To $1 As Appetite For Dollars Falls by Jackie555: 10:34pm On Aug 03, 2015
I used my Sterling Visa to make an ATM withdrawal in Houston and the exchange rate was N239.8. Why are Banks so selfish and greedy?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Why New Naira Notes Are Scarce – CBN Sources / FG Revokes Seplat CEO, Brown’s Visa, Residence, Work Permits Over Alleged Racism / Oil Prices Soar As OPEC+ Prepares To Cut Supplies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.